The Future of Superheroes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
What do you think comic superheroes might be like 50 years from now? I mean from the writer-artist-reader perspective, not from another character's POV.

Will spandex remain the rule of the day? We already have characters whose "costume" is more like street clothes. Is that a good thing? As realistic as that may seem, is the spandex costume "timeless"?

Will we see more superheroes with increasingly high-tech components, as opposed to radiation, mutations or aliens? Is Iron Man yet to hit his stride? wink

What about monikers? Will they also become more "realistic" (again, we already have some characters with real names), or will the monikers remain as colorful ("timeless"wink as the spandex costume?

What heroes do we have today who might still be around in 50 years? Superman? Ghost Rider? Who?

Symmetric Chaos
Speculating about what the real world will be like in the future is nearly impossible.

Speculating about what fiction will be like . . . well it nearly killed me.

I'd say traditional Superheros (Superman, CaptainAmerica etc) will remain pretty much the same.

New heros: I have no idea

I do think that in the future either explainations for stuff will be more believable or there will be a shift toward heavier use of magic.

Soleran
Space Ghost, he wears tights and uses high tech.

He's here to stay.

Deathstroke
50 years ago people might have asked the same question. Compare that to now and we still have characters with similar origins and spandex costumes. It's still hard to say what it'll be like though.

marvelprince
General themes mostly the same (spandex never dies, just like disco) but I think things will take even more a turn to realism (if that could be possible). Powers and such will be explained much clearly and comics in general may well end up in a darker place

Martian_mind
They will no longer exist,as Jonn,pissed at having no ongoing,goes apeshit and kills evryone in the DCU causing a megaversal ripple that obliterates every other comic company evil face

SpunkySmurph
If I had MY way?

Spandex would take a serious dive. Offhand, I have about a dozen, give or take, rough potential character designs, and I think one has a spandex-esque costume, though its actually a much more durable material.

And names... no Thor Girls or Invisible Womans.

Martian_mind
So you want comics to be sausage fests?

from prior encounters i guess that makes sense.

NoFate007
I see more of an Ultimate Marvel kind of storytelling. More connections, less spandex, less focus on alien and magic things, etc.

I agree about the "____boy" and "_____girl" names too. At the very least, I HOPE that they get rid of that trend and soon.

Swanky-Tuna
I predict spiritual/mystical heroes will become popular. So when I'm 72, rocking the world in my 15 foot robot body, and every other comic book character is a magician, shaman, or magical warrior, you all are all witness that I called it.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Martian_mind
So you want comics to be sausage fests?

from prior encounters i guess that makes sense.

No.

"Karate Kid" and "Mr. Fantastic/Terrific/Incredible" are stupid names too... ermm

xmeat
it would be funny in the future for cap cause they would change is time from suspended animation to 200 years in ice.

Badabing
Originally posted by Mindship
What do you think comic superheroes might be like 50 years from now? I mean from the writer-artist-reader perspective, not from another character's POV.

Will spandex remain the rule of the day? We already have characters whose "costume" is more like street clothes. Is that a good thing? As realistic as that may seem, is the spandex costume "timeless"?

Will we see more superheroes with increasingly high-tech components, as opposed to radiation, mutations or aliens? Is Iron Man yet to hit his stride? wink

What about monikers? Will they also become more "realistic" (again, we already have some characters with real names), or will the monikers remain as colorful ("timeless"wink as the spandex costume?

What heroes do we have today who might still be around in 50 years? Superman? Ghost Rider? Who?
Good topic. Comic heroes have usually reflected the perspective of the social/political trends that have occurred during the time they are printed. If Religion and Faith or Secularism and Atheism are big in 50 years then we'll see that played out in comics.

It's hard to imagine comic heroes without the spandex. They've been using the same basic costume styles for years. I can see hero groups (Avengers, Justice League) maybe adopting uniforms with a common theme to show their group affiliation.

Monikers and secret identities will still be around imo. They add to plots and it's interesting to see the duality of characters.

Endless Mike
I predict more robot heroes

Mider999
yeah i got a hope for the future MARVEL, KNOW YOUR ROLL YOUR NOT THE BOSS OF ALL THE COMIC WORLD YOU SHOULD HAVE ONE MULTIVERSE OMNI MEANS ALL THE UNIVERSES INCLUDING THE REAL ONES.

Swanky-Tuna
I think in the Marvel universe, no other universe exists. We don't exist, DC doesn't exist. It's just them.

And I know my roll, springroll. All the way.

Kazenji
How about someone like Ghost Rider i think he'll stay the same with his biker outfit

marvelprince
Originally posted by Kazenji
How about someone like Ghost Rider i think he'll stay the same with his biker outfit

Yea. Considering how long he's gone with it without any major revisions I don't think he'll see any.

If any they may try to make him "darker". More spikes or something.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Kazenji

Unless all the bikers of the world get the gether and say "hey, lets all start wearing Bermuda shorts!"... then Marvel will have to update his gear.

Alfheim
There will be cyborgs in the future because they ahve already started making primtive cyborgs now. This will probably mean street levelers will get cybernetic upgrades.

Mider999
deathstroke 1000?

Endless Mike
And most people predict we'll have sentient AI within 50 years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.