China Taking Over

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
My dad seems to think that China will take over the world in the not too distant future. Now, obviously, he doesn't mean this literally, but what do you guys think?

Is it plausible? I'm undecided.

If so, when will it happen/how?

If not, explain why.

Discuss.

Vinny Valentine
America has a stronger army, China has a bigger one.

If America fought china, America would eventually win.

Yet this wont happen due to treaties.

And I also think your dad, if he means it 100% literal, is a bit of an idiot. No offense. Big "Take overs" just don't happen. If China tried anything, Most countries would go against them.

AKA World War 3.

China isn't stupid, they wouldn't oull a stunt like that.

Alliance
Yawn.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine

And I also think your dad, if he means it 100% literal, is a bit of an idiot. No offense. Big "Take overs" just don't happen. If China tried anything, Most countries would go against them.

AKA World War 3.

I understand that if, right now, it was purely our military versus their's, then we'd probably win.

My dad is no idiot. I believe I specifically stated that he didn't mean it literally roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyway, I think what he means is a very subtle/gradual "take over" that would mostly involve economy and things of that nature.

Tangible God
You mean more like an economic, then cultural, then population take over? It's feasible, in the future. Hope it doesn't happen though.

jaden101
if China's economy keeps growing at the rate it is it will be the worlds most powerful in 10 years....but then its only growing at the rate it is because of US investment...so i'm sure the US will turn off the taps when it feels China is getting too big for its boots

militarily the US contingent in this thread seems to be way over estimating its own ability...i thought the fact that a bunch of cave dwelling idiots with home made bombs are kicking your asses all across the middle east might have sent that message across.

manorastroman
so speaks scotland, the world's greatest military force!

anyway, the chances of china doing anything besides completely destroy the local ecosystem are pretty small.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by jaden101
if China's economy keeps growing at the rate it is it will be the worlds most powerful in 10 years....but then its only growing at the rate it is because of US investment...so i'm sure the US will turn off the taps when it feels China is getting too big for its boots

militarily the US contingent in this thread seems to be way over estimating its own ability...i thought the fact that a bunch of cave dwelling idiots with home made bombs are kicking your asses all across the middle east might have sent that message across. To be fair, the US military is far better suited to fighting a more standard war (like one with China) than it is to the whole police/keeping the peace debacle going on in Iraq right now. Unfortunately,the Pentagon likes to spend money on expensive, hi tech warfare, the kind of thing that is useless in the current scenario. Thats why US casualties are far higher now that Saddam Hussein is removed from power, than they were when the US initially took down the Iraqi military.

G U I T A R
America Owns China! box

BobbyD
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
My dad seems to think that China will take over the world in the not too distant future. Now, obviously, he doesn't mean this literally, but what do you guys think?

If not, explain why.

Discuss.

I could easily see this. But, I can also see the rise of Russia again also. They have no debt, and are making a killing selling arms to our enemies.

Evil Dead
because we are fighting against terrorists....who look like and are dressed exactly the same as innocent civilians. They are too big of p-ssies to differentiate themselves like a real military fighting force does because they know they'll get dealt with quick like. Their tactics are akin to dressing up as women, hiding amongst a group of women, sucker punching you when your back is turned then running for their caves screaming.

If this were a real war......against a country....civilians residing in that country would be acceptable colateral damage if the governing body refused to step back. Remember WWII when we were at war with a real county.......remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki? We aren't afraid to lay waste to an enemy........the problem is, the Iraqis aren't our enemies. We are fighting WITH Iraq against their terrorist factions.

jaden101
Originally posted by Evil Dead
because we are fighting against terrorists....who look like and are dressed exactly the same as innocent civilians. They are too big of p-ssies to differentiate themselves like a real military fighting force does because they know they'll get dealt with quick like. Their tactics are akin to dressing up as women, hiding amongst a group of women, sucker punching you when your back is turned then running for their caves screaming.

If this were a real war......against a country....civilians residing in that country would be acceptable colateral damage if the governing body refused to step back. Remember WWII when we were at war with a real county.......remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki? We aren't afraid to lay waste to an enemy........the problem is, the Iraqis aren't our enemies. We are fighting WITH Iraq against their terrorist factions.

true...but its not like the US doesn't spend vast sums of money on training elite units to combat those tactics...not to mention it was the CIA who trained the mujahadeen of afghanistan in those tactics to fight the soviets 30 years ago...so i'm sure, given their resources, that they should be a little more effective than they are.

but when wars are fought in accordance with public relations then you're not going to get anywhere fast...

Deano
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine

AKA World War 3.

america wont win. they are not meant to. america is being manipulated to fall.

ww3 will end america. as it is deliberatly meant to.

Robtard
Deano, as always your post are asinine to the core... "The Lizardmen! The Lizardmen!" at least post who you're quoting, even though it most likely is that ass-clown David Icke.

China is booming right now economically speaking, countries/corporations around the world are pouring resources into China to turn a quick profit , this in effect will open China and the Chinese population to the outside world which could have detrimental effects on it's Communist government and China will most likely begin to slow down or outright crash because it is growing too fast for it's own good; I highly doubt China will be an any position in the near future or want to for that matter to "take over the world".

WrathfulDwarf

If not, explain why.

Discuss.

I would say Japan not China.

Deano
Originally posted by Robtard
Deano, as always your post are asinine to the core... "The Lizardmen! The Lizardmen!" at least post who you're quoting, even though it most likely is that ass-clown David Icke.

China is booming right now economically speaking, countries/corporations around the world are pouring resources into China to turn a quick profit , this in effect will open China and the Chinese population to the outside world which could have detrimental effects on it's Communist government and China will most likely begin to slow down or outright crash because it is growing too fast for it's own good; I highly doubt China will be an any position in the near future or want to for that matter to "take over the world".

clueless as ever

shame

Quiero Mota

If not, explain why.

Discuss.

I hear "China's gonna take over the world!" way too often. It's getting old, and until I see something come of that "prediction" everyone who says that is just another doomsday nutcase as far as I'm concerned.

I like the way this guy thinks.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Deano
america wont win. they are not meant to. america is being manipulated to fall.

ww3 will end america. as it is deliberatly meant to.

And you sir have no idea what America truly is or what it stands for

Even if America was defeated, we would never give up

You obviously have never seen Red Dawn (Awesome movie)

Robtard
Originally posted by Deano
clueless as ever

shame

Still insisting on burying your head up David Icke's (or some other lunatic ass-clown) ass... Shame.

Evil Dead
Originally posted by Grimm22

Indeed.

I've said it numerous times. The US will never fall to a conquering force.

We Americans don't take shit. If an enemy, any enemy were to invade our soil, we would not sit back and be dependant upon our military for defense. Guns are easy to come by and I'm sure the world knows by now, we Americans know how to use them. Let an enemy force advance into one of our towns......you'll see Bloods and Cryps side by side with AK47s......good ol' boys sitting in blinds with every type of shotgun or hunting rifle you can imagine........average joes like myself with our .9mms and SKSs lying in wait. This is the very spirit our country was founded on........the spirit and will that rid our land of the oppressive British.

RedAlertv2
Ultimately, I dont think conflict between the US and China will become a full fledged war

Kinneary
Doubtful. I think we've seen the end of most full fledged wars between major powers. I think the US and China could back two sides of a war with arms and funds, sort of what we saw in the Cold War, but never will we actively engage each other.

Fishy
Of course China would never attack the US, the US has nukes. How dumb do you think China is? For the same reason the US would never attack China, nobody is stupid enough to start a all out war against a nuclear power with enough nukes to blow you to smithereens.

No any war between the two powers would be fought by friendly states with perhaps if they are lucky official support from either one of the sides (highly unlikely that there will be a time when both officially announce their support to the country fighting). If a war does erupt the victor is hard to predict, China has a bigger army and a great ability to grab power in key spots in the Middle East and in Asia itself, while the US has of course North America and pretty much all of Europe on it's side...

Not important though no war will come.

China however does very much have the chance to take over the leadership of the world politically and economically speaking, the US economy is only weakening or at best staying stable over longer periods of time. While the Chinese economy is just starting to grow, just starting to expand. The biggest risk for China however is that it will go to fast, the Chinese government however isn't being dumb about it. They are giving their people more freedom but they are doing it slowly, to avoid a transition of power like in Russia, which just leads back to communism or a dictatorship in the end anyway.

At the same time they are also trying to limit their economic growth and are investing a hell of a lot of money in making sure that even if the growth stops they can remain powerful. If China plays their cards right we might soon have a new superpower capable of at least measuring up with the US and if they are lucky and play it really smart completely overpowering it.

xmarksthespot
if China's economy keeps growing at the rate it is it will be the worlds most powerful in 10 years....but then its only growing at the rate it is because of US investment...so i'm sure the US will turn off the taps when it feels China is getting too big for its boots U.S. foreign direct investment in China only numbers in the tens of billions (according to 2004 US GAO reports). The U.S. contributes mainly to the Chinese economy through the massive trade deficit it's amassed (cheap Chinese goods in turn allowing the U.S. to maintain low inflation) - which in turn allows China to continue financing growing U.S. foreign debt, through Treasury bonds of which it holds something along the lines of $300-400 billion iirc.

Recent drop in the Chinese stockmarket, despite being largely closed off, still caused significant reverberation in other markets.

The economies are highly intertwined and interdependent for now. The U.S. is at least as dependent on China as vice versa.

The likelihood of the U.S. being able to easily "turn off the taps" at all is small, let alone the likelihood of the U.S. being able to "turn off the taps" without having a significant impact on it's own economy and the world economy. C.f. the inability of U.S. pressure, even the threat of high tariffs on Chinese goods, to make China stop artificially lowering the yuan.

There may come a time when China has the option to send its exports to other markets, in which case it may decide to stop buying U.S. Treasury bonds or even divest its current holdings, which would have a significant negative impact on the U.S. economy.

Considering the U.S. currently must seek around $8 billion in foreign capital per working day to finance its growing current account deficit, while China's GDP grew around 10% in 2006 and is predicted to continue to grow at rates of around 8% for the rest of the decade and has large savings as well as the aforementioned foreign currency reserves... I think China can rest easy for the time being about any tap turning.

Soleran
China is now a "free market economy" with no imposed "moral" limits. Why wouldn't it move up rapidly? However I am shy to forcast it's actual growth due to the fact capitalism has it's own restrictions.

China will probably out grow the USA but we will see.

BobbyD
Indeed.

I've said it numerous times. The US will never fall to a conquering force.

We Americans don't take shit. If an enemy, any enemy were to invade our soil, we would not sit back and be dependant upon our military for defense. Guns are easy to come by and I'm sure the world knows by now, we Americans know how to use them. Let an enemy force advance into one of our towns......you'll see Bloods and Cryps side by side with AK47s......good ol' boys sitting in blinds with every type of shotgun or hunting rifle you can imagine........average joes like myself with our .9mms and SKSs lying in wait. This is the very spirit our country was founded on........the spirit and will that rid our land of the oppressive British.

Indeed. Never give the US motivation for obliterating someone. We're in Iraq and failing because we don't really care, nor should have been there in the first place. But, that's another topic altogether. Ditto Nam. Never, never give the US a reason for erasing you from the world map. wink

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Grimm22

Damn right!

First invading Communist China man breaking into my apartment, and waving his Mao book in my face, causing to interrupt my game of Halo 2 or Gears of War. Will get his ass thrown out the window and into a dumpster.

This Dwarf will not take crap during a fun hour playing Gears of War.

Deano

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Soleran
China is now a "free market economy" with no imposed "moral" limits. Why wouldn't it move up rapidly? However I am shy to forcast it's actual growth due to the fact capitalism has it's own restrictions.

China will probably out grow the USA but we will see.

It remains to be seen.

I believe that China is the one who can ''tip the power'' from the USA. It used to be Russia, now I think it might be China.

chillmeistergen
China are just going through industrialisation later than America, Britain etc.
I don't think it's plausible that China could 'take over' but I do think that they will become a much bigger political and economic presence.

jaden101
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
U.S. foreign direct investment in China only numbers in the tens of billions (according to 2004 US GAO reports). The U.S. contributes mainly to the Chinese economy through the massive trade deficit it's amassed (cheap Chinese goods in turn allowing the U.S. to maintain low inflation) - which in turn allows China to continue financing growing U.S. foreign debt, through Treasury bonds of which it holds something along the lines of $300-400 billion iirc.

Recent drop in the Chinese stockmarket, despite being largely closed off, still caused significant reverberation in other markets.

The economies are highly intertwined and interdependent for now. The U.S. is at least as dependent on China as vice versa.

The likelihood of the U.S. being able to easily "turn off the taps" at all is small, let alone the likelihood of the U.S. being able to "turn off the taps" without having a significant impact on it's own economy and the world economy. C.f. the inability of U.S. pressure, even the threat of high tariffs on Chinese goods, to make China stop artificially lowering the yuan.

There may come a time when China has the option to send its exports to other markets, in which case it may decide to stop buying U.S. Treasury bonds or even divest its current holdings, which would have a significant negative impact on the U.S. economy.

Considering the U.S. currently must seek around $8 billion in foreign capital per working day to finance its growing current account deficit, while China's GDP grew around 10% in 2006 and is predicted to continue to grow at rates of around 8% for the rest of the decade and has large savings as well as the aforementioned foreign currency reserves... I think China can rest easy for the time being about any tap turning.

i was refering to private investment in terms of the US imports the vast majority of what China exports rather that direct government investment....in those terms the US could source much of its imports elsewhere and indeed may well do that for economic reasons if the chinese economy grows to the point that production of import may cost more than elsewhere...and thus investment with it...the US could easily exploit Africa for more of its manufactured goods with a much smaller investment than in China.

then again by that time you would expect China to be self sustaining or using its own economic power to source cheaper labour outwith itself...

thus leading to both the US and China battling over Africa for cheap labour with which to exploit as well as any raw materials on the continent.

perhaps...

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
China are just going through industrialisation later than America, Britain etc.
I don't think it's plausible that China could 'take over' but I do think that they will become a much bigger political and economic presence.

I even question that, porque I really can't picture a country where 80% of its population's profession includes being behind a plow, becoming a superpower.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I even question that, porque I really can't picture a country where 80% of its population's profession includes being behind a plow, becoming a superpower.

I see your point, but I think that once the Chinese people become units of consumption the economic growth is sure to be immense. I think the fact we have to remember is that 200 years ago not having a profession behind a plow would be very unlikely.

J-Beowulf
Originally posted by BobbyD
I could easily see this. But, I can also see the rise of Russia again also. They have no debt, and are making a killing selling arms to our enemies.

Russia may have no debt, but their economy is in ruins and their currency is worth almost nothing. Their economy doesn't allow for military research, certainly nothing more than what they had twenty years ago, and nothing that could rival that of the United States.

China, on the other hand, is a major player in the world economy, mostly, as someone else said, due to the United States' massive trade deficit with them. I can only hope that soon we can break our reliance on foreign products and services, but it seems less and less likely each day with more companies shipping their jobs overseas.

Even Bank of America sent their jobs overseas, for Pete's sake.

In a military conflict? The United States would surely win, but with massive losses. At this point, nuclear weapons are not even part of the equation due to the consequences involved with the use of such weapons; the first country to use them would instantly be everyone's enemy, and be seen as the enemy on the world stage. In conventional warfare, the United States would win, but I gather that a draft would be necessary, and casualties would be very high... but we would win.

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Ultimately, I dont think conflict between the US and China will become a full fledged war

We could only hope that we would be able to come to a compromise peacefully.

And on a second note, does anyone else just kind of ignore Deano's posts? I certianly do.

RedAlertv2
Yeah, his indoctrinated rants got stale a long time ago.

BobbyD
Originally posted by J-Beowulf
Russia may have no debt, but their economy is in ruins and their currency is worth almost nothing. Their economy doesn't allow for military research, certainly nothing more than what they had twenty years ago, and nothing that could rival that of the United States.

China, on the other hand, is a major player in the world economy, mostly, as someone else said, due to the United States' massive trade deficit with them. I can only hope that soon we can break our reliance on foreign products and services, but it seems less and less likely each day with more companies shipping their jobs overseas.

In a military conflict? The United States would surely win, but with massive losses. At this point, nuclear weapons are not even part of the equation due to the consequences involved with the use of such weapons; the first country to use them would instantly be everyone's enemy, and be seen as the enemy on the world stage. In conventional warfare, the United States would win, but I gather that a draft would be necessary, and casualties would be very high... but we would win.

And on a second note, does anyone else just kind of ignore Deano's posts? I certianly do. Well said. Hear-here! beer

Fishy
Originally posted by J-Beowulf

And on a second note, does anyone else just kind of ignore Deano's posts? I certianly do.

Russia's economy is not going half as bad as you may think...

Sure it's not a booming one, but it's growing and they have oil and gas and they are a way for the rest of the world to avoid depending on the Middle East. With Putin in charge Russia has already shown that it wants to go back to the world stage, they have heavily increased their military budget and research in technology, they have assassinated countless of people that opposed their regime, even in public. Most famous of course being the former KGB spy killed in London. Of course they deny everything but the evidence shows it pretty clearly.

Russia is getting back up and they are getting back to a dictatorship and surprisingly enough the majority of the Russian people applaud Putin and his friends for it. The few that don't just don't get a voice or end up in jail.

Who knows in a dozen years or so, Russia might just once again be a superpower

ragesRemorse

If not, explain why.

Discuss.

It's not plausible that China would take over the world, as in owning it. They are already projected to be the next super power within the next ten years which i think is wrong. I believe they are alreay there right behind Japan. Your dad probably means they will have the number one economy, which they will. There isnt much arguing this. China and japan export nearly 75% of the worlds imports. I would have to say that America imports nearly 80% of our main products from Japan. If more countries begin build a trade deficit with China and Japan to the degree that America has with them, then they would have more influence over the worlds economy than America has. America will be facing some severe challenges in the years to come unless we start to make more of the products we import here on our own soil and stop outsourcing jobs. some of our problems with these countries can be remedied through trade taxing, but soner or later i think the piper is going to want to be paid. even though our reserves are quite hefty, they may not be enough. Sooner or later america and future will have to integrate a more socialistic economy (like china) to fix our current problems which i believe is the begining of the end of the free world

Blaxican
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Damn right!

First invading Communist China man breaking into my apartment, and waving his Mao book in my face, causing to interrupt my game of Halo 2 or Gears of War. Will get his ass thrown out the window and into a dumpster.

This Dwarf will not take crap during a fun hour playing Gears of War.

laughing

Into my profile...

xmarksthespot
i was refering to private investment in terms of the US imports the vast majority of what China exports rather that direct government investment....in those terms the US could source much of its imports elsewhere and indeed may well do that for economic reasons if the chinese economy grows to the point that production of import may cost more than elsewhere...and thus investment with it...the US could easily exploit Africa for more of its manufactured goods with a much smaller investment than in China.The problem being that so long as China continues to artificially suppress the yuan, other countries install means of similar nature to remain a competitive exporter, particular in (South) East Asia. And again that a lot of the export income generated is used to underwrite U.S. debt.
then again by that time you would expect China to be self sustaining or using its own economic power to source cheaper labour outwith itself...Probable.
thus leading to both the US and China battling over Africa for cheap labour with which to exploit as well as any raw materials on the continent.Possible.Originally posted by BobbyD
Indeed. Never give the US motivation for obliterating someone. We're in Iraq and failing because we don't really care, nor should have been there in the first place. But, that's another topic altogether. Ditto Nam. Never, never give the US a reason for erasing you from the world map. wink Geography and military might is sufficient the motivation for invasion; be it political or economic outcomes sought - people did not decide where to put crude oil deposits.

Tangible God
Can't help but wonder what would happen to this China-America Superpower scenario with the Avian Flu thrown into the mix.

Darth_Erebus2
Corporations, not countries, control the world.

Blaxican
Chex Mix, not corporations, rule the world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.