The Mighty Avengers #1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scoobless
It pretty much sucked balls ... anyone disagree?

erm

Skeets
I do!

I didn't read it..leftright

Black Adam
meh. has another second issue to wow me otherwise I'll stick to the Initiative book.

Hercules
I've not read it yet.

Scoobless
The art isn't great, the writing is mediocre, the random monster fight is pretty dull, Wonder Man forgets he can fly for the first half of the comic, Sentry is a clumsy fool, etc, etc .... about the only character getting any respect is Ares.

no expression

Hercules
Originally posted by Scoobless
The art isn't great, the writing is mediocre, the random monster fight is pretty dull, Wonder Man forgets he can fly for the first half of the comic, Sentry is a clumsy fool, etc, etc .... about the only character getting any respect is Ares.

no expression

I heard Ares was in it, I thought the team line up was a little brick heavy, what with Wonderman, Sentry and Ares all in the line up, did that come over in the book?

Scoobless
They (Iron Man & Ms Marvel) discussed it, decided not to go for an uber-brick team, then somehow ended up with one anyway.

confused

NiņoAraņa
i saw it on the shelf, reached for it, and my Spider-Sense tingled.....guess if i bought it or not? no expression

King_Mungi
Why did they say Sentry was new to this and inexperienced? They basically compared him to a Young Avenger, except he was actually the first superhero and in the mini stated to be the greatest

Devil Lance

no expression

Yeah I was like What the f**k? with whole Wonderman thing too

At the begining it seemed like he couldn't fly since he got a ride from sentry and then at the end o the book he flew and charged at that dragon thing.
Justice #10 > Mighty Avengers #1 yes

Martian_mind
Because in actual fact Sentry is an over hyped peice of garbage who should have been left o die and burn in a gutter.

Still better then Wasp though.

Darth Vicious
I for one liked the artwork besides that, I wasnt impressed, it was a "meh" of a fisrt issue. Ares shouldve kicked their asses! They shouldve brought someone more threathening that the freaking Mole Man and Ultron is now a woman.

King_Mungi
I hope Omega Flight blows them out of the water in the first issue.

Martian_mind
The Mole Man is what smurfs hoes call him......not remotely threatening....

Martian_mind
Originally posted by King_Mungi

They will....oh..they will...

Soleran
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Because in actual fact Sentry is an over hyped peice of garbage who should have been left o die and burn in a gutter.

Still better then Wasp though.

He's not Superman lets change the the measuring stick, huh?

Martian_mind
I hate him with every fibre of my being..........Bill is on earth,but no,we have to a have a brand new character with an intense lack of develoment forced down our throats at every turn.

Scoobless
Why did they say Sentry was new to this and inexperienced? They basically compared him to a Young Avenger, except he was actually the first superhero and in the mini stated to be the greatest

Well he does seem to have forgotten pretty much everything.

"Mighty" Avengers:

Sentry = Flying Brick, some energy powers
Wonder Man = Flying Brick
Ms Marvel = Flying Brick with energy blasting/absorbing abilities
Ares = Non-flying brick
Iron Man = Fairly versitile (but still brick-ish)
Wasp = Good for stealth
Black Widow = Brought her own gun so they let her onto the team

Now that Ultron seems to be back (again) I suppose having a brick team could be useful ... until they realise that they can't break him (her) and it'll be up to Iron Man to save the day again (as usual).

That "Collective" guy is on their team now as well.

wink

Lucid Lui
I enjoyed it.

Scoobless
Hope the erratic weather has something to do with Thor.

Lucid Lui
I'd probably have enjoyed it more if it had indeed... "sucked balls".

Ok, now that that's out of the way.

I liked the use of thought bubbles, and i'd like to see that stick around. I liked the characterization for the most part.
Though Jenkins and Bendis really need to get together and sort out the Sentry deal. Since the NA Sentry arc, Bendis has been writing him with a completely clean slate with no one remembering him, and him only just getting the feel for superhero-ing again. Whereas Jenkins has written him as completely confident, taking lead, the people loving him etc. etc. It's kinda stupid.

I liked the Ultron twist. The art's ok. So far it seems like the lineup could make for an interesting team.

So yeah. I liked it. It was a fun read.

Grimm22
I thought it was decent, but it really didn't live up to its potential

Cho's art seems not to fit with the book and the plot honestly makes no sense

We have no idea what the hell the mole man has to do with Ultron or what Ultron has to do with the whether or wtf happened to Iron Man at the end of the issue.

That and it seemed like Bendis has no idea how to write thought bubbles. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them return to comics, but he writes them like speech bubbles, which is definitely not how they should be used.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Grimm22
I thought it was decent, but it really didn't live up to its potential

We have no idea what the hell the mole man has to do with Ultron or what Ultron has to do with the whether or wtf happened to Iron Man at the end of the issue.

That and it seemed like Bendis has no idea how to write thought bubbles. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them return to comics, but he writes them like speech bubbles, which is definitely not how they should be used. Agreed. I though it was descent. Nothing special. Ares interested me the most.

Validus
I know Bendis said he would write Ares as being able to beat Thor but I think this is overkill. stick out tongue

http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=themightyavengers01pagesv2.jpg

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Validus
I know Bendis said he would write Ares as being able to beat Thor but I think this is overkill. stick out tongue

http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=themightyavengers01pagesv2.jpg Apparently since Sentry= Galactus. We need Galactus, She-Hulk, Wonder-man and iron man to take down Ares. We might see Aresevrine coming soon.

Validus
I disagree with the art being bad. Cho made Leisure Suit Simon look decent. That's a big accomplishment IMO.

Ethereal
Reading it now. smile

I <3 Carol Danvers.

xmeat
when will we ever see the original avengers back led by cap once again.

Lucid Lui

We have no idea what the hell the mole man has to do with Ultron or what Ultron has to do with the whether or wtf happened to Iron Man at the end of the issue. Mole Man is there because his underground world has been destroyed and he thinks the surfacers are behind it. He has nothing to do with Ultron, he was just attacking the city. It's in the dialogue, plain as day. Likely destroyed by the same thing that's causing the disasters around the world.

And Tony only just turned into Ultron at the very end of the issue as a cliffhanger ending. Of course we're not gonna know why yet.

That and it seemed like Bendis has no idea how to write thought bubbles. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them return to comics, but he writes them like speech bubbles, which is definitely not how they should be used. I disagree here. I think they're better this way. Having big long expose thought bubbles in the middle of conversations/fights, like they used to, made no sense cause that's not what people would be thinking about. Showing little short reactions that can't/wouldn't be voiced makes much more sense.

And i agree with Validus about Cho's Wondy. He's looking good.

olympian
HaHa Ares is the shit.

Cmon, did anyone really expected that Sentry`s stock wouldnt be lowered? No way writers would have a Galactus lvl guy on Earth.

The art is great. Cho great.

xmeat
Originally posted by xmeat
when will we ever see the original avengers back led by cap once again.

draxx_tOfU
with ironman, sentry and ares, who needs the rest?

it didn't totally suck, but at the same time, it didnt blow me away...

meh...

tjcoady

Robert Reynold's mind has been wiped. he doesn't remember anything about the first time he was a superhero.

Black Adam
Originally posted by tjcoady
Robert Reynold's mind has been wiped. he doesn't remember anything about the first time he was a superhero.

when did this happen? was it in his recent mini? because in New Avengers he regains his memories at the end of the sentry arc.

ExodusCloak

That "Collective" guy is on their team now as well.

wink

I'm a bit confused over the whole Xorn ordeal? The Collective was acting through Xorns influence even before Magneto became involved? Wha? no expression

As for Sentry's mind...why he go and get even with Masterminds daughters.

Disappear
i think bendis meant for xorn to be some sentient energy construct, much like sublime was a sentient disease, who wound up taking possession of the energy in the collective. he needed a vessel to get him to magneto and chose michael. when michael got to genosha, xorn tried to switch hosts, which caused some rather weird shit to happen but then xorn and the energy he was connected to got thrown into the sun. and then magneto sort of got killed but not really.

i haven't read the issue, so i don't know what you're talking about with the whole "mastermind's daughters" thing. but, the general used jason wyngarde to **** with the sentry's mind. that's pretty much all i know about it, and i believe that's really all there is to it.

marvelprince
Originally posted by Disappear
i think bendis meant for xorn to be some sentient energy construct, much like sublime was a sentient disease, who wound up taking possession of the energy in the collective. he needed a vessel to get him to magneto and chose michael. when michael got to genosha, xorn tried to switch hosts, which caused some rather weird shit to happen but then xorn and the energy he was connected to got thrown into the sun. and then magneto sort of got killed but not really.

i haven't read the issue, so i don't know what you're talking about with the whole "mastermind's daughters" thing. but, the general used jason wyngarde to **** with the sentry's mind. that's pretty much all i know about it, and i believe that's really all there is to it.

That pretty much covers it. I think the poster refering to Mastermind's daughters meant that Mastermind's daughters could "fix" Sentry. I think Emma said that the "virus" had already done its damage but she removed it and restored his mind (at least somewhat).

Darth Vicious

Thats the first thing that came to my mind as I was reading the issue.
I want Ares to turn on them and kill most of them(I like Black Widow so she gets to live).

King_Mungi
Originally posted by tjcoady

Naa...in New Avengers they brought it back and in the newest Sentry mini they commented on it.

Originally posted by Black Adam
when did this happen? was it in his recent mini? because in New Avengers he regains his memories at the end of the sentry arc.

Bingo

Scoobless
Sentry in Silent War seems incredibly competent.

Sentry in Mighty Avengers doesn't seem to have a clue how to act.

no expression

Validus
Robert Reynolds is no longer in the Sentry equation from what I understand. He's the Void and Sentry is just Sentry.

marvelprince
Thats not really right is it. I thought that there was Robert/Void and Robert/Sentry. Voibert was flung into the Sun and Robtry continued to exist. Remember after the Sentry mini ended we still saw Sentry as Robert in NA. He was in the fetal position when the team needed him to fight the Collective

ScarletSpider
Bad writing, and it's dissapointing that Bendis is on both Avengers books, because now there's no refuge to be found.

Out of character dialogue. Marvel's ****ed up Wonder Man for no reason and without explanation. Marvel's been trying to reinvigorate the Avengers property, and they messed it up instead.

Validus
Originally posted by marvelprince
Thats not really right is it. I thought that there was Robert/Void and Robert/Sentry. Voibert was flung into the Sun and Robtry continued to exist. Remember after the Sentry mini ended we still saw Sentry as Robert in NA. He was in the fetal position when the team needed him to fight the Collective
Voibert laughing out loud

Right you are.

Scoobless

no expression

Silent War:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/2792/55419243ej6.th.jpg http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4370/99481191mk1.th.jpg http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/515/55336380yn3.th.jpg

Mighty Avengers:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7623/95130042aa6.th.jpg http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4091/56367679lq1.th.jpg

confused

Validus
It looks like he gets pretty serious in #3.

Marvel really needs to have a big roundtable discussion over his character...

King_Mungi

no expression

He also seemed incredibly competent in his recent mini as well

marvelprince
Yup. I noticed the difference too between the two interprtations a while ago. Jenkins and others write Sentry as more strong and take charge but Bendis writes him as a follower and more of a tool imo. I know Bendis said he wanted to take the time to develop Sentry but methinks that time has passed. Just make him a badass already

H. S. 6
Sounds like Bendis dropped the ball big time on this issue.

I'll withhold my own opinion until I read it, though.

Silent War:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/2792/55419243ej6.th.jpg http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4370/99481191mk1.th.jpg http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/515/55336380yn3.th.jpg

Mighty Avengers:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7623/95130042aa6.th.jpg http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4091/56367679lq1.th.jpg

confused

As a fan of Sentry, that frustrates me to no end.

marvelprince
I enjoyed the issue alot. Felt more like the traditional Avengers but with new elements. Only things off were the comments regarding past Avengers seemed out of character and that Sentry was portrayed as child

Martian_mind
I detest the art in silent war.....

Black Adam
I detest the art in silent war.....

You detest a lot of things.

I detest you. My detesting is superior.

Martian_mind
ntrue,my detestation pwns yours,anyway who does like the art?

H. S. 6
ntrue,my detestation pwns yours,anyway who does like the art?

I think it's great. Fits the mood of the story perfectly.

Scoobless
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I think it's great. Fits the mood of the story perfectly.

I see what you mean - mediocre art for a mediocre story.

smile

Black Adam

smile

I think the art looks nice. Though I don't like the story.

"V"
The art was nice and the story was actually pretty good. I liked it, except they over-played Ares, he isn't THAT strong.

Soujaboy
It's past time for Thor to return...

H. S. 6

smile

Good, dark art for a meh, dark(er) story.

Ethereal
This issue was great. You guys are crazy critical.

I dont over analyze things, its either good...or it isnt. I do not ****ing care.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by marvelprince
That pretty much covers it. I think the poster refering to Mastermind's daughters meant that Mastermind's daughters could "fix" Sentry. I think Emma said that the "virus" had already done its damage but she removed it and restored his mind (at least somewhat).

Meh...I was in a hurry and 15 minutes where up when I realized that last bit of it didn't make much sense. So I couldn't edit my previous post.

I just thought he should smash both their heads in for what their father did to him. It's only fair stick out tongue

ExodusCloak
I've been going through some comic previews...and I came across this:

Possible Spoilers ahead:

http://marvel.com/catalog/?book_id=6589

It makes Sentry's character potrayl even more confusing.

Oh and I also came across this and felt like throwing up:

http://marvel.com/catalog/?book_id=6616

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by ExodusCloak

http://marvel.com/catalog/?book_id=6616

"The Black Panther goes one-on-one vs. The Silver Surfer.:

huh

pr1983
no expression

i hope norrin torches his ass... that'll teach him to marry storm etc...

Grimm22
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph

huh

Gee I wonder how thats gonna work out shifty

SS: Beware Panther, I control the power cosmic

BP: Oh yeah well i'm black!

SS:Um...sure?

BP: What, ya got somthin against Black People

SS: Um, no..its just that that was a bit...ya know...random

BP: RACIST!

SS: What?!

BP: Yeah thats right, ya'll are racist

SS: I'm not even a freakin human! Hell, I don't even have a race, i'm made from some weird cosmic metal or somthing

BP: It don't matter yo, cause i'm black

SS: Stop saying that!

stick out tongue

SpunkySmurph
laughing out loud

It would make my day to see Surfer transmute him into a white man.

Black Adam
The issue is being written by Mcduffie. I' pretty sure he can handle the fight without making either character look like a idiot.

pr1983
laughing out loud

that would actually be hilarious, just to see hudlin's head explode...

Validus
laughing out loud

*backs away slowly*

Scoobless
laughing out loud

An oldie ... but a goodie.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/7350/bp1cp8.th.jpg http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/6886/bp2da1.th.jpg http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3150/bp3ts3.th.jpg

big grin

bigbran

Possible Spoilers ahead:

http://marvel.com/catalog/?book_id=6616 I have lost all faith in comic writers...

Especially is that is Phyla-Vell or Hulk going up against Galactus...

Black Panther vs a new upgraded Silver Surfer... wow... I can almost guarantee that Black Panther will kick his ass, and Galactus will also lose... the mere thought of anyone going up against them right now... no expression

long pig
So, we found out Iron Man really wasn't ironman all this time. It was some broad in his suit or a shapechanger?

marvelprince
An oldie ... but a goodie.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/7350/bp1cp8.th.jpg http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/6886/bp2da1.th.jpg http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3150/bp3ts3.th.jpg

big grin \

laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing laughing out loud

DarkCrawler
That comic is gold. laughing out loud

As for Mighty Avengers...my reaction was "bleh".

marvelprince
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
That comic is gold. laughing out loud

As for Mighty Avengers...my reaction was "bleh".

Really? I thought it was pretty good. How did you feel about New Avengers?

SpunkySmurph

Possible Spoilers ahead:

Yeah, but I would like the Sentry thing to either be further hyped, or put to rest. Obviously we'll see the former, and I wouldn't mind to see him get a few more high-end feats

ScarletSpider
Yup. Only it's too bad that JMS is writing his new series. I don't know, maybe it won't be dissapointing, I really doubt that.

At least Oliver Coipel's illustrating it, so it'll be fun enough to look at.

roughrider

huh

Dwayne McDuffie isn't yet another writer who views the Panther as some Black God - is he? What the f**k?

tjcoady
Originally posted by Black Adam

My bad. I was thinking of the fact the Emma Frost is lecturing him about how he gets to start in the world, new, but that just refers to the fact that no one else remembers the sentry but the sentry himself.

grey fox
Man Marvel is going down the shitter...

I mean HONESTLY ! What the hell can BP do ? Use his 'mother box' rip-off ?

Black Adam
Originally posted by roughrider
Dwayne McDuffie isn't yet another writer who views the Panther as some Black God - is he? What the f**k?

someone once said it best

Dwayne Mcduffie was to JLU as Paul Dini was to Batman TAS. Even with Hudlin breathing down his neck I trust the guy not to make BP a God.

01-Eminem

01-Eminem

01-Eminem

Scoobless
Originally posted by 01-Eminem
Last edited by WrathfulDwarf on Today at 03:25 PM

Triple pwned.

eek!

manjaro
i wouldnt be so hasty to jump to conlcusions cuz you might remember that on one of his "world tour" covers panther was fighting Namor..only to come to find out that no such thing happened inside the comic, in fact he had a nice peaceful argument free dicussion with him

Donkey Punch
I really, really enjoyed this issue. Bendis is on really good form at the moment. I like his pseudo apology for making Sentry looking like a wimp so far. With his impending fights against Black Bolt, and Ultron/Iron man, I think his rep is gonna gain a lot of respect. I love the introduction to Ares as well, although i don't like his current costume. I'm not sure about the line up though, an Eternal or Vision would be a nice alternative to Wonder man.

capt it up
it was decent I enjoyed the fact they explained why they picked certain people.

The sentry thing was a little annoying though acting as if at his best he will only become a thor ugg.

Last I check is not sentry supose to be a person who can defeat thor

Martian_mind
Marvel is hyping him up for one purpose.

They will give him a shit load of feats,power and ability and then have him lose to Hulk,hoping that people will uise ABC logic to come to the conclusion that Hulk would beat Supes.

God i hate that...

capt it up

They will give him a shit load of feats,power and ability and then have him lose to Hulk,hoping that people will uise ABC logic to come to the conclusion that Hulk would beat Supes.

God i hate that...
they hyped him down in the mighty avengers not up lol

grey fox
Do we have scans ?

Donkey Punch

God i hate that...

Yes, because Marvel comic writers are far more concerned with power levels than good storytelling. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fanboy
You know what I am wondering is the Wonder Man situation how depowered is he now I see him getting kneed in the face by Captain America apparently that hurt knocked out by Green Goblin get the hell out of here seriously can anyone explain?

Alfheim
Originally posted by Fanboy
You know what I am wondering is the Wonder Man situation how depowered is he now I see him getting kneed in the face by Captain America apparently that hurt knocked out by Green Goblin get the hell out of here seriously can anyone explain?

Well MAs may not be able to lift 100s of tons but are able to replicate huge amounts of damage through skill. For example DD was able to use pressure points to knock Mr Hyde out cold. Captain America was also able to make all of Giant Man's limbs go numb with one touch.

marvelprince
Originally posted by Fanboy

I really didn't think that the shield to the face hurt him much.

The thing with the Goblin was explained somewhere nicely though, that it wasn't just the lone pumpkin bomb that hurt Simon, but the fact the warehouse was filled with tons of other Atlantean weaponry.

H. S. 6
It pissed me off that they treated Sentry as a "hero-in-training."

WTF? Didn't he get all his memories back? He should be training the others.

outavodka
Originally posted by H. S. 6
It pissed me off that they treated Sentry as a "hero-in-training."

WTF? Didn't he get all his memories back? He should be training the others. eh...sentry is more like superman lite. even when they showed his memories b4 the mindwipe>he was like superman in the 70s.

LORDSIDIOUS01
I haven't bought the first issue yet. I hope it at least looks good.

D-Block
That's the same thing I was thinking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.