Fantasy Baseball

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007
So I'm in a league for the first time ever this year...

I'm new at it, and a decent amount of my league is too. But a few are vets. And I don't like to lose (or, at least, I don't like to be "dead weight"wink.

So I guess this is just me wanting to have a place to chat about fantasy baseball. It took me about a year to wrap my brain around fantasy football, and baseball seems like it might actually be more complex.

So anything people want to add is cool: Your own stories, personal ideas, tips, tricks, strategies, etc.

Personally, I'm targeting Pirates players in my draft since I'll go to a bunch of games and can root them on (not entirely, of course, since like I said I want to do well....but people like Sanchez, Bay, etc. will likely end up with me).

P.S. Hopefully this hasn't been done. I did a search and nothing came up.

Smasandian
Only football for me.

Takes too much time for baseball.

DanZeke25
I'm in a league, winner gets $200. That's really the only reason I did it. I like baseball better than football, but not for Fantasy teams. I would give you tips but I really can't because this is my first time actually playing.

DigiMark007
Well good luck then Zeke. I'll probably update this every so often, so I'll be learning as it goes along.

Not sure what the winner gets in mine (there's something like 10 teams at $10 a pop). It was going to be just for pride, but we all felt like making it worth something at least. So practice for a cheap price I guess.

forumcrew
I did it for the first time last year it was interesting. Have to really stay on top of the season if you want a good chance. Like I got papellbon off of waivers just beacuse i was paying close attention to things and he became like the #1 save guy. Pitching was my saving grace. My league was a head to head set up. Where you compete in like 9 categories. I won in saves every single week. Its really nice if you can get a stat or 2 that you can lock up like that. Try to get guys with multiple values. Like someone you can play at 3-4 positions. Or a guy whos gonna steal a lot of bases and hit 20-30 HR's. I am no veteran but it is a lot easier to get screwed if you have a lot of guys who are limited at what position they can play or who are mainly 1-2 stat guys.

I think im done trying to organize KMC fantasy but if someone wants to start one.. let me know

GL

Smasandian
Come on, your still doing fantasy football right?

That went pretty well.

BobbyD
Originally posted by DigiMark007
So I'm in a league for the first time ever this year...

I'm new at it, and a decent amount of my league is too. But a few are vets. And I don't like to lose (or, at least, I don't like to be "dead weight"wink.

So I guess this is just me wanting to have a place to chat about fantasy baseball. It took me about a year to wrap my brain around fantasy football, and baseball seems like it might actually be more complex.

So anything people want to add is cool: Your own stories, personal ideas, tips, tricks, strategies, etc.

Personally, I'm targeting Pirates players in my draft since I'll go to a bunch of games and can root them on (not entirely, of course, since like I said I want to do well....but people like Sanchez, Bay, etc. will likely end up with me).

Know your scoring system is all I can say....no different than fantasy football. wink

P.S. Hopefully this hasn't been done. I did a search and nothing came up.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Smasandian
Come on, your still doing fantasy football right?

That went pretty well.

yea football i wouldnt mind keeping up with.

So if you get the #1 pick who you taking?

DigiMark007
Nah, 1 league is enough for me. I think we can skip a KMC league.

But thanks for the tips forum.

And I might actually not go for Pujols with the #1 pick this year (if I have it). He peaked the last couple seasons, and Ryan Howard is still trending up.

Anyway, I hope I get a late round 1 pick and can shore up 2 positions with #1 guys (like Chase Utley/Johan Santana....something like that).

forumcrew

DigiMark007
Damn. Chase is going too soon in most drafts. I have the 4th pick in mine (only 6 teams), so I have 4 then 9. I want Utley to fall to 9 because 4 is too early for him....too many others will be available.

Ah well.

DigiMark007
Howard AND Utley ( woot ). Small league though, so everyone's pretty stacked.

I have one of the most well-rounded teams on paper, but there's a few teams with some startling position advantages (one guy has Crawford, Soriano, and Beltran in teh OF, for example).

Utley and Mauer will be huge in determining my success, as they are expected to be the best at their respective positions.

Starting:
Joe Mauer: C
Ryan Howard: 1B
Chase Utley: 2B
Ryan Zimmerman: 3B
Miguel Tejada: SS
Vlad Guerrero: OF
Johnny Damon: OF
Hideki Matsui: OF
Michael Young: Util.

SP: Chris Carpenter, Carlos Zambrano
RP: Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman
P: CC Sabathia, Dontrelle Willis, Jason Schmidt

Bench: Scott Rolen (3B), Jeff Kent (1B, 2B), Adam Dunn (OF), Mike Mussina (P), Tim Wakefield (P).

Wakefield was kind of a joke...I'll be letting him go soon.

DanZeke25

DigiMark007
Hmm. I realize it's 12 teams, and maybe it's because I'm a fantasy baseball newb, but Santana is really the only one who inspires any sort of fear in me from that roster. Rollins is a nice pickup, but to me Andruw Jones as a #1 OF seems less than reassuring.

But that's just my input. My league is obviously much smaller so I'm not comparing the two....it's just general thoughts.

forumcrew
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Damn. Chase is going too soon in most drafts. I have the 4th pick in mine (only 6 teams), so I have 4 then 9. I want Utley to fall to 9 because 4 is too early for him....too many others will be available.

Ah well.

i wouldnt waste such a high pick on utley either. I targeted Cano and got him I think in the 5th round.

I would be a bit cautious with Mauer also. I know he is dealing with some injuries at the moment.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by forumcrew
i wouldnt waste such a high pick on utley either. I targeted Cano and got him I think in the 5th round.

I would be a bit cautious with Mauer also. I know he is dealing with some injuries at the moment.

Meh, figures. I have them both. But with the teams all being fairly loaded (if they were smart) having Utley as the clear #1 at his position is still nice.

forumcrew

BobbyD
Matt Cain or Chris Young?

forumcrew
I would say Cain. Young is definitely the safer bet if you wanna be more conservative, but Cain looked better towards the end of the season and I think hes worth the gamble.

DigiMark007
Pitching. Staff. Murdered.

no expression

Mussina, Carpenter, Schmidt. All on teh DL. Killing me right now. Otherwise, my starters have been producing...just not enough to make up for the crap pitching.

DanZeke25
I have Jimmy Rollins FTW.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by DanZeke25
I have Jimmy Rollins FTW.

Hmm.

I picked up Josh Beckett, so I'm happy. My "rotation" is still hurting, but the gaps are filled at least.

LORDSIDIOUS01
A-rod is gonna break Barry's HR record. Hack Wilson's RBI record is also in danger

forumcrew
A-rod certainly has a good chance but like all the great records it takes more than just talent you gotta have longevity.

The_Mayor
Yeah

Well my team is suckin it up right now, but I have the White Sox pitching and the no-hitter got me 37.5 pts.

DanZeke25
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
A-rod is gonna break Barry's HR record. Hack Wilson's RBI record is also in danger

That is until it gets into September and the playoff race starts to heat up, then he'll start choking again.

The_Mayor
laughing He does it every year.

DigiMark007
I have Adam Dunn and Chase Utley, and I'm being offered Carl Crawford and Ian Kinsler (Texas 2nd baseman whose been hot). Should I take it?

I'm torn because I feel like I'd be giving up more talent than I'd be getting, but I need a steady outfielder (Crawford) and I have a viable #2 at 2B (Jeff Kent).

forumcrew
it doesnt make sense. You have a backup 2B so why kinsler? You would be giving up 2 starters and only gaining 1 starter in the OF and having a 2 man choice for 2b. If you are happy with Kent get something else instead of Kinsler.

second thought its really not a good deal at all. Kinsler's average has dropped from .290 to .220 in the month of may and he recently was dropped down in the lineup. He is now hitting 7th. Crawford would be an upgrade over dunn because of the fewer K's and increased SB's but Utley is too valuable to give up for that.

DanZeke25
Crawford is a thousand times better than Dunn, but Utley is way better than Crawford, IMO. So no.

DigiMark007
Thanks. That helped. I'll be turning it down.

DigiMark007
So I realized I'm not maximizing my talent....I've taken to making 2-3 moves a day so that I always have at least 2-3 pitching starters every day (we have 5 starting pitcher slots and 2 relievers)...because I was keeping the same pitchers constantly and not getting points due to the rotation.

I might lose 1-2 decent starters if the others in my league are quick about it. But I'm willing to take that risk. We only have 6 teams so there's enough starters to go around.

forumcrew
you have no limits? most leagues have a total number of innings limit per position or a max # of starts per week.

DigiMark007
you have no limits? most leagues have a total number of innings limit per position or a max # of starts per week.

?!

Hmm. I'll have to check. The league director is kinda new to this though, so it's possible I found a loophole.

Thanks though.

{edit} Score! No limit. Loophole! At least until the others catch on.

shifty

DigiMark007

I'm making a late-season push for the top spot in my league.

But.

- Utley got hurt. Dude was one of my main workhorses.

- My loophole (explained above) is haunting me. There's no limit to trades/aquisitions, but there's a season limit on innings pitched. I'm fast approaching it. Only my top 2-3 starters from here on out, because otherwise I'll be going at least a few weeks at the end with no pitching.

erm

...in other words, it's not looking good. Here's to football season!

forumcrew
yea the season limit on innings pitch isnt really a great way to do it. In my experience it works a lot better to do starts per week (like 7). In my league where I took over a last place team and had to completely rebuild it I might actually have a shot at winning. Around half way through I was 50-60 games under .500 And as of the start of this week I am sitting at 4th of 12 (top 4 make playoffs) And I am 2-0 in both my head to head matchups with the guy who has been #1 all year.

DigiMark007
Cool. Good luck.

I gave up a couple weeks ago. We're in a full-season points league, not head-to-head, and I'm too far behind the leader to make up the ground.

I pay attention occasionally to take mental notes for next season, but I'm solidly into football now.

ragesRemorse
My baseball fantasy is that baseball would no longer be played :/

forumcrew
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
My baseball fantasy is that baseball would no longer be played :/

yet you go out of your way to read posts in a baseball thread and fantasize about it?

pepperjeff
yet you go out of your way to read posts in a baseball thread and fantasize about it?

The wild card action is really heating up. Looks like those red sox might collapse after all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.