How strong is He? Really?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
We see him lift the entire land mass in "Returns", that must have weighed millions of tons, does anyone know if he has a limit?

Galvaclaw
He's as strong as he needs to be.

Symmetric Chaos
Superman is in the range of billions of tons presumably and can amp that by sundipping

Originally posted by Galvaclaw
He's as strong as he needs to be.

Thats HeMan.

Galvaclaw
True, but I was quoting from an issue of JLA.

pr1983
Originally posted by Supra
We see him lift the entire land mass in "Returns", that must have weighed millions of tons, does anyone know if he has a limit?

In the comics, a limit hasnt really been shown for his strength... i'd be surprised if one ever was...

Supra
Originally posted by pr1983
In the comics, a limit hasnt really been shown for his strength... i'd be surprised if one ever was...

That is what i was thinking, he does not have a strength limit

pr1983
That is what i was thinking, he does not have a strength limit

almost everyone has limits, i just see his as being really, really, really high...

as high as anyone not godly or demonic and whatnot...

Supra
almost everyone has limits, i just see his as being really, really, really high...

as high as anyone not godly or demonic and whatnot...

Sure everyone does, but there is nothing that he cannot lift, they have never shown it. So there for he has not had a limt set.

pr1983
Sure everyone does, but there is nothing that he cannot lift, they have never shown it. So there for he has not had a limt set.

lol, there was one thing, but it was a huge spaceship that had skewered the earth... i doubt anyone could have moved it....

Supra
lol, there was one thing, but it was a huge spaceship that had skewered the earth... i doubt anyone could have moved it....

really? didnt know that, what was the comic about?

pr1983
really? didnt know that, what was the comic about?

jla heaven's ladder...

http://www.rambles.net/jla_hladder.html

basically a giant alien spaceship steals the earth, and superman (ww too) tries to pull the skewer out of the planet, but to no avail...

but i dont think a comic character has been invented (bar the godly ones) that could do it...

Supra
jla heaven's ladder...

http://www.rambles.net/jla_hladder.html

basically a giant alien spaceship steals the earth, and superman (ww too) tries to pull the skewer out of the planet, but to no avail...

but i dont think a comic character has been invented (bar the godly ones) that could do it...

how does the JLA beat them?

Mindship

He lifted that mass with his flying force, not his muscle strength. Are they equal? How does one relate to the other?

Supra
Originally posted by Mindship
He lifted that mass with his flying force, not his muscle strength. Are they equal? How does one relate to the other?

I dont know, i guess that since he can remder himself weightless, anything else he gets ahold of becomes that way too for him

Endless Mike
Well in Obsidian Age, with the help of Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter, he moved the earth.

Magee
Originally posted by Mindship
He lifted that mass with his flying force, not his muscle strength. Are they equal? How does one relate to the other? So if I could fly at the same speed as Superman I could lift an island in to space? Yes he may have been flying but he was still pushing that entire mass in to space, with his muscles.

Mindship
Originally posted by Magee
So if I could fly at the same speed as Superman I could lift an island in to space? Yes he may have been flying but he was still pushing that entire mass in to space, with his muscles.
Muscles require leverage, something to push against. It's not like he was standing on the ocean floor and lifting this mass (similar to how he lifted the San Andreas fault in the 1978 movie).

Even if you want to say he was pushing against his flying force, he wasn't, not really. He didn't military-press the continent while hovering solidly in one spot. He had it braced against his shoulders Atlas-style, and his whole body moved as a unit, driven by his flying force.

dvampire
He lifted it. He even tossed it away from earth when he got into space.

FistOfThe North
How strong is he? Well i don't know but i bet he has a limit. Like i don't think he can push or carry our Sun or anything like that. But his levels way up there though, i bet.

pr1983
how does the JLA beat them?

they don't, they work with the aliens to help them construct their own heaven...

Donkey Punch
So if I could fly at the same speed as Superman I could lift an island in to space? Yes he may have been flying but he was still pushing that entire mass in to space, with his muscles.

If you could propel yourself with the same force as Superman you would be able to move it yes !

This kind of explains it .....

When characters are seen to move huge objects such as planets, moons, asteroids or even the levitation of mountains, are they using pure strength or are they using the power of propulsion i.e. the 'engines' that allow them to fly. For example in volume 2, of John Brynes Man of Steel series, Superman makes reference to objects weighing nothing when he is flying with them. A similar reference is made here ....

So can we equate the movement of planets to strength or propulsion power ? It would explain alot, for example why there seems to be little collateral damage when seemingly planet movers clash with one another. Maybe the energies used for punches are far inferior to those used to propel characters and objects. It would make a lot of people re asses the strength levels associated with various of the characters on here (Especially Superman and Wonder Woman). It would also explain why Thor appears to have inferior strength to the Hulk, when the Mid guard Serpent probably weights a LOT more than that 200 Billion ton mountain.

sapphiremouse
We see him lift the entire land mass in "Returns", that must have weighed millions of tons, does anyone know if he has a limit? that film feat was totaly , total unrealistic. a landmass of that size made up of part kryptonite, it would radiate so much energy he would not be able to fly over it let alone land and stand up right.

That last about 5 min. while the dialoge was goin with lex, then he totally upcutted the boy-scout on his butt.

people say oooo underneath was a lead sheilding so he was able to lift it. TOTAL BULLSHIT!!! Superman wouldve never been able to fly any wheres new that continent so to speak, let alone go under it and lift it up to space. Nice film for the kiddies but crap for actual true fans of Superman or comics period.

Films and comic books are totally not nsync with another. This is the worse case of that, period. laughing Happy Dance

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Donkey Punch
If you could propel yourself with the same force as Superman you would be able to move it yes !

Not without being splattered into a fine paste as soon as he touched it.

Humans aren't as durable as Superman.

Galvaclaw
Right...It's not like Superman is heavily resistant to Krytonite now. He hasn't been hit by beam chanelled though all the worlds Krytonite or anything.

Magee
lol that guy clearly doesn't read much Superman, while he is not completley immune to it his resistance has built up to a point where it is no longer an instant win over Superman, he is barely effected by it now.

Donkey Punch
lol that guy clearly doesn't read much Superman, while he is not completley immune to it his resistance has built up to a point where it is no longer an instant win over Superman, he is barely effected by it now.

About two years ago he was shot in the chest by Metallo with a Kryptonite bullet, and still had enough invulnerability to dismantle Batman's high voltage electrical fence. In Kingdom Come, he gets to he point where he has absorbed so much yellow sunlight that he no longer vulnerable to Kryptonite, at all.

OB1-adobe

He's as strong as the writer wants him to be

MattDay
put it this way, using his flying force, he can move massive objects, but he needs the strength behind it so he doesn't just buckled under the pressure of pressing himself against obstacles... like in returns he was basically moving the mass like you would a squat, weight across ur shoulders and you move the weight up, he would have to have the back strength to do this, so yes he is very strong.

ragesRemorse
i once saw supes kill 30 pounds of pot in one inhale. thats pretty hardcore

Galan007
Sure everyone does, but there is nothing that he cannot lift, they have never shown it. So there for he has not had a limt set. In a comic it took Supes, WW, and J'onn to move the Earth.

This would imply to me that Supes couldn't have done it alone, which also implies a limit of some sort.

Yet in other comics Supes shows feats that lead me to think he could easily move a planet....... Damn power fluctuation lol.

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i once saw supes kill 30 pounds of pot in one inhale. thats pretty hardcore

I remember that one! He got 3 continents stoned after exhaling the smoke.

Supreme being
Originally posted by Galan007
In a comic it took Supes, WW, and J'onn to move the Earth.

This would imply to me that Supes couldn't have done it alone, which also implies a limit of some sort.

Yet in other comics Supes shows feats that lead me to think he could easily move a planet....... Damn power fluctuation lol.

How i see things if the earth was in danger and no one else was around but superman and in order to save the earth he has to move it then i without a doubt know his going to move it. As someone else said there really isn't a set limit on superman if his alone and required to lift or move something its getting moved.

Galan007
Originally posted by Supreme being
How i see things if the earth was in danger and no one else was around but superman and in order to save the earth he has to move it then i without a doubt know his going to move it. As someone else said there really isn't a set limit on superman if his alone and required to lift or move something its getting moved. Absolutely.

If Superman needs something to happen, it will happen.

vader11
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
He's as strong as the writer wants him to be

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.