Stanford Prison Experiment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
not sure how many are aware of this experiment in socio-psychology. basically the premise is they put good people in a bad place, stripped them of individuality (by giving them similar outfits, glasses that helped hide their identity, etc . . .) and waited to see what happened.

the questions that the experimenter wanted to answer were these profound ones:

What happens when you put good people in an evil place?
Does humanity win over evil, or does evil triumph?

with the behavior of the soliders at abu ghraib the experiment got some renewed interest. incredibly fascinating study.

so, could YOU resist the pull of 'evil' that so many of the test subjects could not? what if YOU were at abu ghraib -- would YOU have been able to view the prisoners as something MORE than the animals the soldiers saw them as?

a truly remarkable study. learn more here:

http://www.prisonexp.org/

AssClown
Interesting Leo, when I am not having fun i'll answer properly.

-AC

Symmetric Chaos
We did stuff about this in my psych class recently.

Its pretty incredible how rapidly a person can become depraved when given the opportunity.

jaden101
if you want to check out an amazing film loosly based on those experiments i suggest

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/

chillmeistergen
Is this the experiment that Zimbardo did? yeah it is a very interesting study if it is. I think one of the things that makes it so interesting is that it in a way branches out into philosophy, by questioning whether we are naturally good or bad.

leonidas
you're exactly right. smile

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
if you want to check out an amazing film loosly based on those experiments i suggest

That was a decent movie... I read into the Stanford Experiments in 1971 and it wasn't exactly 'scientifically neutral', the researchers didn't randomly select who was a "guard" and who was a "prisoner", they purposely put the more aggressive types as guards so there'd be a reaction.

midnightshadow
the problem with this study was that there was no differing factors. i know that within a psychological experiment that you need to keep some factors the same but they only had one type of person in this experiment and that was middleclass white college boys. it was also greatly unethical, there was no proper debriefing and subjects were not properly informed. this is all of the top of my haed as it has been about 3 years sice i studied this i would have too look up my notes to give more accurate detail.
this study brought out the worst in human nature, humans are by nature, and also nurture, often cruel to those less fortunate or in a lower position of power to them.

xmarksthespot

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/ It was an okay movie. I'm not sure whether I'd consider it amazing.

jaden101
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It was an okay movie. I'm not sure whether I'd consider it amazing.

i thought it brilliant...the tension in it is superb...granted the ending gets a bit far fetched...none the less i loved it

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by midnightshadow
the problem with this study was that there was no differing factors. i know that within a psychological experiment that you need to keep some factors the same but they only had one type of person in this experiment and that was middleclass white college boys. it was also greatly unethical, there was no proper debriefing and subjects were not properly informed. this is all of the top of my haed as it has been about 3 years sice i studied this i would have too look up my notes to give more accurate detail.
this study brought out the worst in human nature, humans are by nature, and also nurture, often cruel to those less fortunate or in a lower position of power to them.

The ethics board wasn't around at the time this was done. Nowadays an experiment like this would be illegal.

lil bitchiness
Apart from the fact that experiment in question was very unethical, and has caused people to have psychological and personal problems, thereafter, I believe it opened a question up to thinking about people who are in some kind of power and why they act the way they do.

Milgram experiment, just as unethical and damaging, explored the willingness to obey the authoritative figure, regardless of our own personal feelings.

You can't really make a ''conclusion'' based on either of these experiments. The subjects were taken away early because of a brake down, and thus because of the methods used, these studies are unrealiable.
I don't know what I'd do in a situation.
It is different being there and sitting here and then guessing about it.

Alfheim
I think it depends, most people in general will be horrible if they can get away with it, but some exceptional people will try to be good no matter what the circumstance.

I dont think I would have become a sadistic bully.

leonidas
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Apart from the fact that experiment in question was very unethical, and has caused people to have psychological and personal problems, thereafter, I believe it opened a question up to thinking about people who are in some kind of power and why they act the way they do.

Milgram experiment, just as unethical and damaging, explored the willingness to obey the authoritative figure, regardless of our own personal feelings.

You can't really make a ''conclusion'' based on either of these experiments. The subjects were taken away early because of a brake down, and thus because of the methods used, these studies are unrealiable.
I don't know what I'd do in a situation.
It is different being there and sitting here and then guessing about it.

was the milgram experiment the shock experiment where people were told to shock a learner? if so, that was similar and equally disturbing.

the idea of people acting terribly when anonymity is assured is very disturbing. it has been raised as a concern regarding the way people act on the internet, of all places. anyone can come on here and act like a complete ass, flame and insult without fear because there are no real consequences. imagine how different these debates would be if we were all in a room TALKING as opposed to anonymously placing posts . . .

basically, the ultimate question revolves around tendencies -- do you feel if given a chance people will in general be civil, or uncivil? i really don't know. depending on which forum you visit, your opinion could be swayed either way.

Alfheim
Originally posted by leonidas

basically, the ultimate question revolves around tendencies -- do you feel if given a chance people will in general be civil, or uncivil?

uncivil.

Dreampanther
Watch this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/etc/view.html

Every school should make this experiment compulsory.

BackFire

Was gonna say the same thing. Outstanding movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.