Canibal holocaust...whats the big deal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
I was just recently able to watch this movie for the first time, after years of being told that this is a must see for such a horror fan as myself. As far as entertainment goes, i couldnt find any other than the shock value. It was a terrible film as far as filmaking goes. The acting, the editing and dialogue. There were two aspects that i found interesting though. The overall plot, and the music which overshadowed the pointless horrors. The only reason i can find for this movie being so popular is that it was possibly an experiment in sociology. I'm not trying to bash the movie, only trying to find the appeal that it hold with so many people. After watching this flick, i am to believe that the only reason people watch this is the same reason people watch films like bum fights and faces of death and that is to see somthing that society tells us is wrong and prevents us from witnessing on a mainstream scale

BackFire
Well, I don't know what kind of editing/acting you were expecting from this film, it's an old indie horror genre film, the editing/acting is no worse than other classics in the genre, like Fulci and Argento films. The dialogue was of course bad, it's foreign, like most foreign horror films, something was probably lost in translation, but again, no one watches extreme horror films for dialogue.

As to why people like this movie, it's the same reason people like many horror films of this type, it does things and shows things that few movies dare show, especially around the time that film was made. Like it or not, it was a brave film, with a social message and a point, along with some very affecting scenes of violence.

As you pointed out, the music is great, some of the best I've heard in the genre, something about seeing something being brutally killed while hearing lovely music is very eerie.

Granted, the film is overhyped as far as being the most disturbing film of all time, in my opinion that title belongs to Salo or Men Behind the Sun. it's still a monumentally important film within the genre, which is soley responsible for just about every other cannibal film that was made after it.

ragesRemorse
yeah, thats kind of the avenue i was going down as far as my own inference. While watching the movie i did understand that i was watching something that was important for the horror genre. I just wasnt sure if i was missing the bigger picture as far as wide spread appeal goes or if the shock value was what made it so important.

From what my friends had told me, i guess i was expecting a cinematic masterpiece along the lines of TCM. I had no inkling that meat of the movie was going to be the slaughtering of animals which quite surprised me. So i guess even now after being desensitized from extreme horror cinema i have been shocked. Yes...that is it. I guess i have found my appreciation for this film. I never thought that i would be able to be shocked from a movie ever again. The turtle murder will stay with me for some time. Yeah that music did have a very creepy effect. Thanks. Any other slightly unkown flicks out there you might suggest, along the lines of holocaust?

BackFire
Salo, Men Behind the Sun, August Underground, Guinea Pig Series, Aftermath and Cutting Moments are all up there with Holocaust as far as infamy goes.

But yes, the animal killings are another thing that only fuels the hype for the movie, they're terribly tragic and unsettling and hold great amounts of power. That turtle scene was very shocking for me as well.

By the way, good to see you back around again, Rages. Haven't seen you around for a while, welcome back.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BackFire
Salo, Men Behind the Sun, August Underground, Guinea Pig Series, Aftermath and Cutting Moments are all up there with Holocaust as far as infamy goes.

By the way, good to see you back around again, Rages. Haven't seen you around for a while, welcome back.

Ah.. I was fortunate enough to see salo, and men behind the sun (isnt there a sequal?) Havent got a chance to see the guinea pig series, and i never heard of the others. Will definently have to check them out, and report back to the forum with more of my incredible undeniable reviews wink

I cant seem to get the final shot of the turtle scene out of my mind where the turtles head pulsates in a pool of it's own blood

It's good to be back thanks for noticing

BackFire
Aftermath and cutting moments are both amazing films.

They're both shorts, as well. Aftermath has a run time of about 30 minutes, cutting moments, just over 20. Both are brilliant, particularly Cutting Moments.

You can find cutting moments in a box set called "Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America". Contains 3 films by the director - Cutting Moments, Home and Prologue. All are great. The box set is rather easy to find, I believe even some Blockbusters have it.

Aftermath is available on Netflix, which is how I saw it. I haven't seen it in any brick and mortar stores, though.

ragesRemorse
thanks alot, BK, i'm gonna check those flicks out

NormaBates
I think the power of cannibal holocaust is the fact that it still has the ability to shock people all over the world! Everybody who watches this movie will without exception be shocked! (if not only for the animal cruelty or rape scenes! And let's admit it we horror fans are not easily shocked, maybe thats the reason we see this film as a masterpiece.
For me it is the only movie that really shocks me. This is the only movie where i close my eyes at certain scenes (The monkey scenes and rat scene) and after viewing i can stay a week without eating at all.
And believe me, no-one loves gore more than me)

deathbycorn
Cannibal Holocaust is a great movie. Exploitation!

Try: Nekromantik & Murder Set Peices.

cropsy_is_god
Cannibal Holocaust is cool but i dont see the reason it was banned for so many years. Does anyone know if the August underground series live up to the hype ?

ragesRemorse
yes i would have to say so. August underground is more of an actual movie. It probably isnt nearly as shocking, what without the actual wildlife slaughterings, but the effects and emotion is damn decent.

Whe holocaust came out, Cinema was a different monster all together, this was during the time when midnight cowboy was given an X rating.

vintageSW77
a remake is on its way with Deodattos involvment

42ndStreetFreak

SelphieT
I haven't seen the movie, but my brother owns it, and says its just really shocking, and everything is so realistic, like the impaled girl. And then the actual animal slayings, like the monkey and turtle....

eggmayo
I would say the killing of the monkey or meercat, whatever it is, is much disturbing than any other moment in the film, perhaps even any film.

Offtopic: It's good to see Backfire still wearing the TCM sig/avy, and going on about Salo - I really should watch that some day.

SelphieT
Oh maaaaan, I just saw a clip of the turtle scene on youtube. I had to stop watching after like, 3 minutes. Just them poking around at its guts was just.....so sickening.

42ndStreetFreak
Originally posted by eggmayo
I would say the killing of the monkey or meercat, whatever it is, is much disturbing than any other moment in the film, perhaps even any film.

Offtopic: It's good to see Backfire still wearing the TCM sig/avy, and going on about Salo - I really should watch that some day.

"Salo" is tough stuff, but only works if you watch it all, not just flick through.

I would say that the muskrat death is the nastiest in "CH", the one killed slowly with the knife while being held up. VERY nasty.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.