Can Superhero films be comedic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Not campy crap for characters that don't deserve it - aka Batman and Robin sick - but actually be more like comedies. Films like Ghostbusters & Men In Black proved you can have big action scenes & big FX work while being tongue-in-cheek.

I've seen these short films on YouTube for Power Girl. They make me think the character can't be done straight, and should be like a Sex In The City episode with big FX. It could work!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=power+girl&search=Search

What other famous characters should be done as comedies?
Deadpool seems obvious. big grin

NoFate007
You couldn't make a superhero film in the style of Ghostbusters cause Ghostbusters is considered a comedy more than any other genre, and the type of humor that would come out of a superhero story would instantly be campy and therefore stupid.

Of course, this is what is going to happen now to Flash, since Levy is on board and apparently thinks jokes like having a semi-retarded guy having a slap fight with a monkey is just off the walls hilarious. So we'll get stupid jokes and the movie will be one of those ones you roll your eyes over and such.

If you look at the history of comedy in superhero films, its only the subtle things that really work. Ghost Rider is an example of what doesn't work. 9/10 jokes in that, I literally heard audience members go "wtf?" and "you've got to be kidding me".

Swanky-Tuna
I refer you to Mystery Men. Although that did lack the Flaming Carrot and the Strangler was only mentioned.

NoFate007
I don't know a single person that thought Mystery Men was good, or funny for that matter lol.

Scoobless
Mystery Men was friggin' brilliant you fool.

ScarletSpider
Well...I certainly laughed at Ghost Rider.

roughrider
People here have been clamoring for a Deadpool movie. We know it can't be done straight like Spider Man; it needs to be silly and slapstick, like a Coen Brothers comedy.

NoFate007
Deadpool is the only one I can think of that I can see having a lot of comedy in it, cause Wade's a lunatic.

Superguy
Agreed, No Fate. wink

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by NoFate007
You couldn't make a superhero film in the style of Ghostbusters cause Ghostbusters is considered a comedy more than any other genre, and the type of humor that would come out of a superhero story would instantly be campy and therefore stupid.

Of course, this is what is going to happen now to Flash, since Levy is on board and apparently thinks jokes like having a semi-retarded guy having a slap fight with a monkey is just off the walls hilarious. So we'll get stupid jokes and the movie will be one of those ones you roll your eyes over and such.

If you look at the history of comedy in superhero films, its only the subtle things that really work. Ghost Rider is an example of what doesn't work. 9/10 jokes in that, I literally heard audience members go "wtf?" and "you've got to be kidding me".

If Ghost Rider doesn't work, then why is it a big success? As for this thread. superhero comedic films work to some degree, but be careful when you make a film for laughs, it doesn't always work.

NoFate007
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
If Ghost Rider doesn't work, then why is it a big success? As for this thread. superhero comedic films work to some degree, but be careful when you make a film for laughs, it doesn't always work.

Ghost Rider is a success money-wise, but is that really what the fans should care about? Wouldn't you rather see a good film than a film that just makes lots of money?

I mean, I know the producers don't give two shits and would much rather make millions than get good reviews if they had to pick, but when you look at a film like Batman Begins that accomplished both extremely well and didn't have any corny jokes in it, that's the formula you should be working with.

Tron
The right writer can make any superhero movie hilarious without losing it's serious tone (ex., Joss Whedon).

Deathstroke
A Plastic Man movie could have some good comedy.

roughrider
There's another one - Plastic Man would have to be a total action comedy.

This talk about a Justice League movie - I know that TV pilot attempt in the late 80's was terrible, but if they could find a way to do the league during the silly-funny days of Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteis...I'd pay to see that. wink

Loot
A Lobo movie could be a comedy, a bloody comedy, but still a comedy

Magee
Deadpool just sticks in my mind as potentialy being a hillarious comic book film, aww man I wish they would hurry up and get started on it. sad

Combat
R was funny as hell. Everyone laughed at the jokes where I live.

Validus
The Spider-Man movies could use a little more comedy IMO. They were on the right track with "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" in Spidey 2 though.

NoFate007
Originally posted by Validus
The Spider-Man movies could use a little more comedy IMO. They were on the right track with "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" in Spidey 2 though.

I'm hoping that in SM3, Peter finally starts cracking some jokes. He's only done it like maybe twice in 1 and 2...that's definitely not enough for Spider-Man.

roughrider
Originally posted by Combat
R was funny as hell. Everyone laughed at the jokes where I live.

What is "R"?

Validus
Originally posted by NoFate007
I'm hoping that in SM3, Peter finally starts cracking some jokes. He's only done it like maybe twice in 1 and 2...that's definitely not enough for Spider-Man.
Agree and Tobey needs to work on his delivery of those jokes. He was pretty wooden in 1 and 2.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.