top 5 heroes and villains

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordboo
just out of interest really,give reasons why if you want?

NoFate007
I'll assume this is who we think are the best and not who we like the best....

HEROES

1. Batman - Bruce is just a classic hero. He has more balls on him than anyone else and doesn't even have some outrageous power to wear as a cup. He does all that he can and then some, and doesn't even expect a "thank you". In fact, he prefers to operate where people aren't even sure that he was there! Take that, glory-hogging Clark! He's the only normal human in the Justice League that can just boss people around and even if they're pissed about it, they won't be questioning his authority. Beyond his harsh exterior, his heart is huge, and he'd easily give his life for others. Plus, he's the smartest guy in DC.

2. Spider-Man - How many times has this kid been beaten down socially, physically, emotionally, and mentally, and still swings out there and cracks some jokes? Peter's one of the most admirable heroes out there and he just keeps trying like the damn Energizer Bunny. He could be in the deepest pits of sorrow, but he doesn't just turn into some emo kid who complains - he uses his intelligence to try to fix it.

3. Superman - Few heroes have the ability to inspire others as much as Kal-El. He's known as the universal model for superheroes in the DC comics and definitely gets some points for being so insanely powerful. He's taken down the likes of Doomsday, Imperiex, plowed through Heaven, and if DC One Million is the eventual future, he becomes a damn near god.

4 and 5 I honestly couldn't decide on, but some of the heroes I was considering were The Question, Wally West, Cyclops, Professor X, Wolverine, Kyle Rayner, Captain America, Punisher (from the right perspective, lol), Silver Surfer, and Sentry. If I had to make a decision, I'd probably go with Sentry and Kyle Rayner from that list. Idk.

VILLAINS

1. The Joker - Come on. Do I really have to explain this guy?
2. Lex Luthor - He's a billionaire. He's a genius. He always gets away despite EVERYONE knowing he's an evil son of a *****. He's definitely the king of villains, and the only reason he isn't in the first spot is because he lacks the impulsive ruthlessness and FUN that The Joker brings to the table.

3. Victor von Doom - If it weren't for the rule that the heroes have to win in the end, along with the fact that he's been bored after he's taken control, Doom would have so many things in his grips so fast that he wouldn't know what to do with himself. He's one of the only villains that is just that damn good.

4. Thanos - Though I'm not a particular fan of him, you have to give credit to a guy who has basically destroyed the universe and has a lot of showings under his belt that you can't just ignore.

5. Brainiac/Doomsday/Magneto - Three way tie. Brainiac is in here mainly because of the DCAU, where he's been shown many times to be one HELL of a pain in the ass to deal with, and he's always coming back harder the next time. Speaking of "coming back harder to deal with the next time", Doomsday has to get a mention here. He's perhaps the one villain that no matter who is on your side, you're still gonna shit your pants. Magneto gets on this list for all that he's done over the years, ranging from bringing about Onslaught to ripping out the Adamantium from Logan's body. Plus, he's one of the few villains that you could really question whether or not he could be considered evil.

lordboo
good choices,with great explanations

pr1983
i'm only doing this cos the other threads didnt ask for explanations...

Alrighty...

MARVEL:

Cyclops:

(Recycling some stuff i'd used before)First of all i identify with him the most, as i have a very similar personality to his. he's not popular and doesnt try to be, he just gets on with it and does things how he likes. and as leader of the x-men, when it comes down to it, he'd be the one to decide who lives or dies, he makes the tough decisions, and has the conviction to carry them through. That takes more balls than people realise. The guy has been through hell also, with jean continually dying, and sending his son to the future just so he wouldnt die couldnt have been easy. It takes character to keep doing what he does day in day out. and i admire that. wolverine'd get everyone else killed if he tried to do cyclops' job. I mean, how hard it is to live every day knowing that something as simple as looking at the person you love would kill them... and that was before his much hailed 'badassness' in the recent astonishing x-men... for me all they've done is improve an already brilliant character...

Colossus:

The complete antithesis of the 'strong guy' character, he manages to be a more developed, more interesting character (at least to me). he's intelligent and thoughtful, and he's exactly how i'd be as a brick character in a team: a gentle giant 90% of the time, but f*ck with me or the people i care about and god help you...

Silver Surfer:

Silver Surfer was one of the first comics i ever read (back in the mid-late 80s), and was also one of the few regular comics i collected. He's the purest form of the thinking man's superhero. Force for him is a last resort, but when he does have to resort to it, he's a major force to be reckoned with (though everyone knows that).

Hank Pym:

Hmm, i've always liked Hank Pym, and sometimes i don't know why... beating Jan (another of my favourite characters), his siding with Reed and Tony during CW (even though i can see why he did it), that stuff should make me hate him, and yet i don't... i don't know, maybe i just love the idea of a geek growing to be 50 foot high and being able to headbutt sentinels...

Hawkeye:

You honestly have to ask? He's hawkeye...

DC:

Superman:

(heavily edited from before) I like him because the guy has felt like an outsider his whole life and yet he still would give up his life for these people. most people would consider superman to be a boyscout or a weakling for following earths laws, but i don't, it just shows a great humility that alot of so called 'heroes' don't possess. He's Superman, if i was in a tight spot he's the one hero i'd want in my corner. There's so much i could say about Superman, but it'd take forever. He's still the benchmark imo as far as being a hero is concerned.

Flash (Wally West):

I grew up not reading alot of the Flash, in fact most of my knowledge of the Flash came from the TV show back in the 90s. So i was surprised when i finally sat down and read Geoff Johns' run on Flash, and i realised just how great the Flash was (Wally in particular, just personal preference). It's very rare that a good superhero comic can have genuinely good romantic themes, and yet Johns (and Waid, who's terminal velocity was simply breathtaking, thanks for the recommendation Validus big grin) pulls it off brilliantly. Considering how much i hate Lois Lane, Linda Park is one of the few superhero girlfriends i actually like, and the relationship between Wally and her is one of the best written relationships in all of comics...

Hal Jordan:

(Really flew up the list here, i'd have never considered him six months ago) Being fairly new to Green Lantern (and most of DC that isnt Superman or Batman), the first GL issue i read was Rebirth, and i have to say i liked it alot. Once i'd read it i went back and read up on some of the characters, and at one point John Stewart was my favourite, and he stayed that way until about a month ago. I was in my usual comic shop and i happened to notice Green Lantern #16, with art by Ivan Reis. Ivan Reis to me is one of the best artists atm, his work on Superman a while back was nothing short of brilliant. I actually picked the issue up purely because i knew Reis' art was bound to be good, but then i noticed once i sat down to read it that Geoff Johns was on writing duty (he of action comics and rogue war fame, at least to me). Once i read through it i read it again. And again. Johns and Reis have, in my opinion, been writing one of the best if not THE best DC title of the last year or so (yep, i picked up the back issues of the Johns/Reis run, and am anxiously awaiting the next one). Jordan as a character can come across as being slightly too patriotic at times, but given his military background, thats understandable, and makes for a more deeply layered character. He's finally getting over the Parallax thing too, and embracing superhero life again... next up he's going against Star Sapphire who i thought i was dead but what're you gonna do... can't wait...

Wonder Woman:

Not so long ago i viewed Wonder Woman entirely based on the Linda Carter tv show of long ago (which i adored btw), and then i came to KMC, and my opinion wasnt really changed, until a certain member (you know who you are) came along and blew everything i thought i knew about WW out of the water. While i liked her individual series enough, it was her appearances in JLA and Superman comics that appealed to me, and made me love the character. She's the perfect foil for Bruce and Clark (her embracing her godly powers, while clark views his with more humility, and bruce sees powers as something that could at any time go terribly wrong), and the Max Lord thing (which i did agree with, guy had to die imo), showed incredibly deep the relationship within the trinity is... and when drawn by Ed Benes, she's probably the hottest woman in existence... i can't help it, i like woman who can be strong and feminine at the same time...

Red Tornado (t'was a toss up between him and MR. Terrific):

I know very little about him as a character, and to be honest the first time i saw him was in the JLU series, but instantly i was intrigued, and did what i could to find out as much as possible. I love the fact that he's a man in a machine's body, its incredibly tragic that he can love someone so much and yet never be able to feel what alot of people take for granted. His powers are pretty awesome too, in the last Jla, what he did to Grundy cemented his badass status for me...

I'll do the villains later... phew...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.