Do Christians Even Go To Major Universitys

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TRH
I mean do they or at least in the science department,sense they caused trouble in some I heard a few have Anti-Christain policies but I am not sure about that

fini
LOL, yeah they DO...

I remember in Astronomy class, the lecturer was going over the age of the earth and solar system. And one student said that they were taught that the earth is the 10,000 yrs old thing. THe Lecturer( who is strict muslim and wayyyy too nice of a lady) said that while that was not the right age, you can't expect them to get it right since they had no way of knowing/determining the actual age of the world/solar system/universe when the bible was written.

One of my classmates is very very into that whole church thing, but he's finished with his MPhil in Physics( i dont remember what field). One of my friends completed his PhD in material science and is a strict Seven day Adventist.

Heck , I had a classmate who used to bring actual CHICK TRACK COMICS to school ( see, i've been exposed to that man's garbage for many years now). But after much debate even that friend identifies the fallicies in that man's publications. My friend is doing his Bsc in Electrical Engineering right now.

If you have faith then hold to it, but when fact shows otherwise dont deny it. Accepting fact by NO WAY undermines faith. You just take the good from both worlds.

Alliance
Originally posted by TRH
I mean do they or at least in the science department,sense they caused trouble in some I heard a few have Anti-Christain policies but I am not sure about that

Yes. I've heard of students who refuse to answer questions on evolution on exams. Of couse they get zeros, but then they ***** about discrimination.

However, Christian doesn't mean fundamentalist Christian. Don't confuse the two. mad

Nellinator
Yah, I did. And I'm pretty sure Regret did as well. Marchello did. Lots of Christians have.
I've never heard of this anti-Christian policy because as far as I know religion isn't something identified on entrance applications... If that is different in the United States then that is weird.

Gregory
Bear in mind that for certain fundamentalists, all it takes to get labled "anti-Christian" is to teach evolution and that sort of thing; putting "university anti-Christian' into Google reveals a whole lot of crazy, but not much of substance.

TRH
I remember in Astronomy class, the lecturer was going over the age of the earth and solar system. And one student said that they were taught that the earth is the 10,000 yrs old thing. THe Lecturer( who is strict Muslim and wayyyy too nice of a lady) said that while that was not the right age, you can't expect them to get it right since they had no way of knowing/determining the actual age of the world/solar system/universe when the bible was written.

well if that kid believes in the divinity of the bible then he thinks it can not be wrong

Regret
Originally posted by TRH
I mean do they or at least in the science department,sense they caused trouble in some I heard a few have Anti-Christain policies but I am not sure about that I went to three major universities as I took the long road through Doctorate. I even worked as a lecturer to support myself through much of my graduate work.

I have a few statements about my experience though.

When creating exams I would intentionally place a few questions on the exam that threatened the biased views of the students in the course. This would tell me if they were capable of making decisions from an unbiased stance and if their ability to relay the material would be untainted by unscientific bias. While one may have a bias, one still needs to understand the concept before having a proper stance on the subject. Students displaying an inability to learn and discuss a topic that they disagreed with often dropped out or ended with a lowered grade due to their stubborn inability to learn.

Proper language is necessary to any science, statements in response to a question beginning with "I believe..." or similar were docked in points for the mere fact that I was asking about a fairly concrete concept.

Students with fanatical beliefs often cannot properly respond to specific types of questions. So, while there may not be "anti-Christian" policies, if such beliefs interfere with the ability to learn the subject adequately these students fail to meet the requirements.

Also, most professors I have worked with have their eccentricities. Many regard such fanatical beliefs as self-damaging, and do their best to chip at the wall that such students have built with these beliefs. One professor went so far as to intentionally make comments that would engender higher levels of agitation in some students, most either hated or thoroughly enjoyed the experience by the end of their time with him.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by TRH

I go to one of Australia's major Universities (Macquarie University, though I have also done some things through the UTS) and there are plenty of Christians. In fact I can think of three different Christians clubs etc available on Campus for them...

So yes, they do. Not all Christians are anti-science, nor Muslims or anyone else, judging by the numbers that I have encountered during my studies.

Now, do they have problems when it comes to science like courses with evolutionary componants? That depends on the Christian, I haven't seen a definitive trend, in Australia at least. In fact I know of one guy who is studying enviromental sciences, and he loves the evolutionary componant. Of course then you have the likes of the exlusive Brethren who forbid their members from even attending universities of any kind.

fini
Hmmm there are 3-4 christian clubs at my university. There is even a Chaplin right off campus. SO they are not anti christian

BUT the title of this thread should be changed............ DO Fanatical Christians even go to Major universities?????

And lol M******** said he bacame a " fanatic zealot" AFTER getting his degree, SO he was sane while at university.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by fini
Hmmm there are 3-4 christian clubs at my university. There is even a Chaplin right off campus. SO they are not anti christian

Yes, I was impressed with the amount of religious support available on campus at my uni. Relieved me if I ever became religious my needs would be met. Not only to they have Christian Chapels and I think Muslim support they have had Buddhist stuff to for a few years now.

Lord Urizen
Yes, not all Christians are that stupid...

Haven't you ever heard of Jerry Falwell's school ? TONS of Christians go there ! eek!

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by TRH

Yeah they do.

There was a guy named Mark at my University (but he moved away now) who was very much into the whole Chirstianity thing.
His parents told him he should find a wife. He was a virgin and was not allowed to have sex before marriage.

How the hell do you go on living 19 years of your life without boning?!

He would just sit in the corner and look at us, as if hes thinking: ''SINNERS! STOP HAVING FUN!''

Luckaly he wasnt trying to convert anyone - at least not that I know of.

fini
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Yes, I was impressed with the amount of religious support available on campus at my uni. Relieved me if I ever became religious my needs would be met. Not only to they have Christian Chapels and I think Muslim support they have had Buddhist stuff to for a few years now.

Hmm, we got a muslim group ( two I think) , a hindu group, few christian groups, an african society( which caters to african religions, mainly shouter baptise)

But all these religions have public holidays here, religions are openly supported.

FeceMan
You know us Christians--we wain't into that kind of book learnin'. I'se always makin' trouble at my university--makin' words and whatnot.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by FeceMan
You know us Christians--we wain't into that kind of book learnin'. I'se always makin' trouble at my university--makin' words and whatnot.

Would that be Landover Baptist University for the Saved?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by fini
Hmm, we got a muslim group ( two I think) , a hindu group, few christian groups, an african society( which caters to african religions, mainly shouter baptise)

But all these religions have public holidays here, religions are openly supported.

Oh, I wasn't just talking about groups (all the major religions have their own clubs, and I think there is a new age/Wiccan club), I meant actual Campus services like the Chapel and Chaplin for the Christians.

Phoenix*Rising
Many parents won't pay for their child education if they do not attend a Christian University. They feel that their child who they have raised and protected will be influenced by the world. What they forget is that the world is where they'll be spending the rest of their life.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by TRH

I don't know if Christians go to "Universitys". I do know a few of them that go to "Universities".

Regret
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I don't know if Christians go to "Universitys". I do know a few of them that go to "Universities". laughing laughing Given my experience with university level spelling, TRH is quite probably a mean on university level spelling. I had semesters that, had I marked answers incorrect for spelling, not one student would have passed the course.

Alliance
Spelling sucks. smile

This isn't formal haermm

Regret
laughing

TRH
dur

FeceMan
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Would that be Landover Baptist University for the Saved?
Git to th' back of the bus.

Adam_PoE
Git to th' back of the bus.

You must have me confused with a colored person.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
You must have me confused with a colored person.
http://xf6.xanga.com/806d704462032113286496/w80876751.jpg

Shakyamunison
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:fuRG2QDhowyY0M:http://www.towleroad.com/photos/uncategorized/quiet_******_1.jpg

Huston, we have a problem.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Huston, we have a problem.
Yeah, I realized that.

Damn KMC for censoring a certain word.

Shakyamunison
Yeah, I realized that.

Damn KMC for censoring a certain word.

I do hope you realize that kind of crap just makes you look bad.

Lord Urizen

You keep making yourself look better and better...more unbiased and unbiased.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

TRH
http://xf6.xanga.com/806d704462032113286496/w80876751.jpg ass wipes like your self love the back of the bus

Adam_PoE

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/super_hottie_2/lions.jpg

Capt_Fantastic
Don't worry Feceman, I know you're joking.

FeceMan
Oh, my God.

You people are idiots. If you think I was being serious, you need to find a fire and die in it.

RedAlertv2
Oh, my God.

You people are idiots. If you think I was being serious, you need to find a fire and die in it. Its obvious you were joking. But you're making an ass of yourself irregardless.

FeceMan
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Its obvious you were joking. But you're making an ass of yourself irregardless.
I'd rather be an ass than be one to use the word "irregardless."

Quite frankly, if people think that my posting that is being an ass, then you all--as suggested by Urizen--ought to have more sex to get the sticks out of your asses.

Alliance
Yeah, you're being an ass. Even when you have intelligent points, you still state them in an unecessarily assy way.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alliance
assy I will be stealing this words. Thank you.

FeceMan
*Rubs his temples.*

Cry more.

BobbyD
Originally posted by TRH

I did and graduated. smile

Religion and science each have their respective places in my life. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
I did and graduated. smile

Religion and science each have their respective places in my life. wink

Are you sure you are a true Christian? wink laughing out loud

Lord Urizen
I'd rather be an ass than be one to use the word "irregardless."

Quite frankly, if people think that my posting that is being an ass, then you all--as suggested by Urizen--ought to have more sex to get the sticks out of your asses.

Excuse me, I trademarked that...I will be expecting my royalties in the mail.

BobbyD
Are you sure you are a true Christian? wink laughing out loud

I'm not (sure).

What is a true Christian? A catholic? A lutheran? A methodist?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
I'm not (sure).

What is a true Christian? A catholic? A lutheran? A methodist?

Don't ask me, I'm a true Buddhist. wink laughing

BobbyD
Don't ask me, I'm a true Buddhist. wink laughing

laughing out loud

Very clever, Shaky. wink

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by TRH

what? i'm not sure i get your question.

just to clarify, your asking if Christians study at major universities?

Alliance
Maybe this has been addressed, but do thread starters even go to major universitIES?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Yes. I've heard of students who refuse to answer questions on evolution on exams. Of couse they get zeros, but then they ***** about discrimination.

However, Christian doesn't mean fundamentalist Christian. Don't confuse the two. mad

Ofcourse, the man who runs the Higher Still Physics course in Scotland is a Christian...doesn't have a TV either. I should really get him on KMC, he'd love to aruge about the Big Bang and "Gaps in the Laws of Physics" as he describes it.

Alliance
Well fortunately, I don't know that much about physics.

No credible person argues that there are no gaps in science. However, religion is one big gap itself.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Well fortunately, I don't know that much about physics.

No credible person argues that there are no gaps in science. However, religion is one big gap itself.

Oh don't worry, he concedes that there are huge gaps in Christianity, I've debated it with him on that many a time but his faith is unshakable, he is a good man, don't let any misconceptions about people of faith get in the way.

Alliance
i don't have misconceptions about people with faith, i just have a short range of tolerance.

Grand_Moff_Gav
i don't have misconceptions about people with faith, i just have a short range of tolerance.

Well I suppose that depends once again on the person, I have gotten very annoyed at religious people(or indeed any person) who when faced with a difficult question just say-"you're wrong because" and gives no constructive reason.

Alliance
Yes. Or who are so hypocritical that you can't stand it. Or those who admonish your family and then complain about how "true" Christians are being discriminated against.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Yes. Or who are so hypocritical that you can't stand it. Or those who admonish your family and then complain about how "true" Christians are being discriminated against.

The worst Christian, in my opinion is one who trys to judge you or tell you that you are sinning or whatever, I honestly beleive most Christians have never read the bible!

Alliance
The Bible doesn't say one thing straight up. Thats the problem.

Grand_Moff_Gav
The problem with the bible is interpretation opposed to content. Its major downfall is the people who read it, fact is the bible addresses so many issues it can be quoted in almost every argument!

Thus many Christians will quote the bible all the time, and often trip themselves up because they don't quote in context or provide any reasoning what so ever. Example user JesusIsAlive.
Of course, thats what you get thanks to Luther and Knox.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
The problem with the bible is interpretation opposed to content. Its major downfall is the people who read it, fact is the bible addresses so many issues it can be quoted in almost every argument!

Thus many Christians will quote the bible all the time, and often trip themselves up because they don't quote in context or provide any reasoning what so ever. Example user JesusIsAlive.
Of course, thats what you get thanks to Luther and Knox. Definitely a Catholic... hating on the Sola Scriptura...

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Nellinator
Definitely a Catholic... hating on the Sola Scriptura...

...You should have seen my Pope-Quotes tm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.