First look: Sparrow returns for 'Pirates' 3. USA Today

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pirate_1987
Though Johnny Depp's iconic Jack Sparrow was swallowed whole by the many-tentacled sea beast at the end of last summer's blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, the makers of the third installment say it should be no surprise that he survives.

The only worst-kept secret is that Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, on whom Sparrow was partly modeled, would be in the third movie, At World's End, opening May 25.

"It would be hard to suspend the belief that Jack Sparrow isn't going to be back," says Orlando Bloom, who plays Will, Sparrow's romantic rival for Keira Knightley.

Director Gore Verbinski says the suspense will come from how Sparrow's friends rescue him from the afterlife. "As always, he has his own path in the madness," Verbinski says. "It's interesting what solitary confinement does to the brain. If his brain was sunbaked before, it's freeze-dried now."

The story involves Will Turner (Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Knightley) teaming with the previously deceased bad-guy Capt. Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), who made a surprise appearance at the end of Dead Man's Chest.

They journey to 18th-century Shanghai to secure maps from Chinese pirate lord Sao Feng (Chow Yun-Fat) that will lead them to the ends of the earth, where ships plunge off the edge of the sea into the afterlife.

Bloom says his too-good-to-be-true Will gets to have devious motives.

"The question is why do we need to have Jack Sparrow back? And that's revealed in this movie," Bloom says. "But I thought it would be cool for Will to be slightly darker. He's so good, but he wants to be bad."

Verbinski says everyone gets to be bad this time. "There are betrayals on top of betrayals," he says. "There's a meeting of the pirate lords, and it's like a bad gathering of relatives at Thanksgiving, where everybody is pretending to get along. You can feel the psychosis. It's a fishbowl filled with sharks."

Naomie Harris, who plays the witch Tia Dalma, says she finally gets to leave her swamp because she has her own secrets to reveal.

"In her own environment she's playful; in other environments, she's serious," Harris says. "She has a lot of powers, and she's out for herself."

A trailer for At World's End will air during Monday's Dancing With the Stars on ABC.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-03-15-pirates-first-look_N.htm

T.Maria
thanks for posting this....gores insight was interesting;

"Director Gore Verbinski says the suspense will come from how Sparrow's friends rescue him from the afterlife. "As always, he has his own path in the madness," Verbinski says. "It's interesting what solitary confinement does to the brain. If his brain was sunbaked before, it's freeze-dried now."

So what does this mean???

Too_Blue
I think it means Jack is going to be even more wacko

PirateDiva
lmao.... i think so too....i mean he was in the worst Purgatory ever...well for him!!! He must have gone a little more mad than b4...lol!!

and especially with the way he departed gods green earth...with one last torture so he can take to Davys Locker to haunt him everyday of his afterlife!!! lol

"My soul I do swear, for a breeze. A gust. A whisper. A kiss ..."

aelizabeth
I CANT WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE! A crazier Jack? It's too much! * faints*

AudioHeart
omg this is gonna be SOO GOOD

pirate_1987
"Orlando Bloom, who plays Will, Sparrow's romantic rival for Keira Knightley. "

Does this mean Jack and Will are rivals for Elizabeth.

PirateDiva
yes!

IheartPocky
AWESOME! haha

AudioHeart
YAAAAAAAAAAAY

pirate179
aaaaahhhhhhhhh I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.