Safest way to travel.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
everyone knows that statistically airline travel is the safest way to go. obviously more people are killed on our highways than in the air. but would you rather take your chances in an auto wreck? me, personally, i choose the latter. in a car wreck, its not necessarily going to be fatal, as long as you have your seat belt on and the wreck is not too severe. an airline crash? you are pretty much at the mercy of physics. which of the two do you feel safer with?

Alpha Centauri
I feel safer in cars, despite them not being safer.

It stems from knowing many things; If the car stalls or stops, I can just get out. If there's a crash, not necessarily fatal etc.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
righto. and in a car, you are in control. if it rolls ten times, you can live through it. if an airliner crashes? man, they might find only the charred remains of your body.

Fishy
Plenty of people survived airline crashes and a lot of accidents in airlines are not fatal, most of the time the planes manage to land. But still if I have to choose between an accident in a car or a plane, I would still choose the car, even though I would be more likely to die then in a plane...

Stupid really, but still.

Victor Von Doom
Planes are much safer generally; car crashes are probably more survivable.

Next thread.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Fishy
Plenty of people survived airline crashes and a lot of accidents in airlines are not fatal, most of the time the planes manage to land. But still if I have to choose between an accident in a car or a plane, I would still choose the car, even though I would be more likely to die then in a plane...

Stupid really, but still.
an emergency doesnt really count as a crash, does it?

~Forever*Alone~
i would choose a plane over a car. mostly because of having been in two near fatal accidents and now im scared of being in a car, and nothing bad has ever happened to me in a plane.

plus, i love flying.

Rogue Jedi
i have never been in a plane crash, i must admit. but i'd still rather take my chances in a car.

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
i have never been in a plane crash, i must admit. but i'd still rather take my chances in a car.

I've never hit myself in the face with a hammer, either, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it!

I prefer planes to cars if it's a long distance. Actually...I can't really stand car rides, too long and aggravating usually.

Rogue Jedi
not as aggravating the ground at 600 mph.

BackFire
I don't like driving, I don't like flying, I don't like walking.

I just stay at home.

Tangible God
You're less likely to die in the air than on the road because statistically there are a hell of a lot more car crashes than plane crashes. Bigger body count to work with with cars. Planes are the least likely to crash of the two.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
I don't like driving, I don't like flying, I don't like walking.

I just stay at home.
agoraphobic?

BackFire
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
agoraphobic?

Nah, just lazy.

Rogue Jedi
yo tambien, mi amor.

ragesRemorse
train. I think America needs more trains, take advatage of the invention that is train system and that is safe ay.?

Blaxican
Has anyone ever stopped to consider that the reason why statisticly their are more car crashes is necause they're like 5 times more Cars then there are Planes? Iono...

Eccentric
they might find only the charred remains of your body.

Or not even that. sad

I also feel safer in cars even though we have the most car accidents in the area that we live. :/ Trains used to be safe here but then they started stealing the cables.

Fishy
Originally posted by Blaxican
Has anyone ever stopped to consider that the reason why statisticly their are more car crashes is necause they're like 5 times more Cars then there are Planes? Iono...

Usually when things are statistically safer that means they have taken that into account.

Alliance
Originally posted by Fishy
Usually when things are statistically safer that means they have taken that into account.

However, there are no statistics in this thread.

Ushgarak
Actually, whilst airline flying probably is safer, the statistics you often see are skewed, because they compare the number of accidents against distance travelled to get the danger ratio. That is giving an unfair advantage to airlines, because they sometimes travel enormous distances, yet the vast majority of accidents happen at take off or landing, which have to be undertaken regardless of how long the flight is.

If all airline flights were only ten miles long, you would see the statistics making it look far more unsafe, even though the actual number and rate of accidents would be no different (or at least barely different).

Alliance
At the same time though, there are statistics that you're more likely to get into an automobile accident close to home.

No one flies for 10 miles, any any statistics on that would be irrelevant.

Ushgarak
That's not the point though. The point is that the theory of measuring airline safety by number of miles travelled is an entirely inaccurate statistic, because longer journeys do not significantly increase risk, whilst with cars they do.

My point being that if an air journey is equally dangerous at ten miles (which plenty pf private aviators fly, btw) than at 1000 miles, this obviously shows that the 'accidents per mile travelled' statistic is nonsense.

Whereas the risk of a car accident, very simply, increases the longer your journey is.

It's a very dangerous mis-use of statistical evidence.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Blaxican

Or maybe because any idiot can drive a car.

Alpha Centauri
Precisely.

I've known someone to fail 5 tests and pass on the 6th. If you fail twice you shouldn't be able to try again for a while.

-AC

Lana
Well, in Illinois I don't think you can try again for a few months and if you fail 3 times you can't again for a full year. I think. Been a few years since any thoughts like that have had to cross my mind.

Though it's so damn easy I don't know how people can fail, period...

Anyway, I've found that since I've started driving, I tend to very much dislike being in a car when someone else is driving. I had figured I'd've been afraid of flying, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Rogue Jedi
i am gonna start using floo powder.

AngryManatee
Statiscally speaking, the safest way to travel is by hovercraft

Symmetric Chaos
Teleprter travel and airplanes are probably the safest.

DarkC
You're in a car and something goes wrong, it isn't nearly as godawful as a plane screwing up.

10,000 feet to fall.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.