Sloppy Comic Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
I've noticed this a lot over the past few years.

It seems like many of the comic films that have been released since they got popular have been pretty bland and/or mediocre.

It's like the companies realized that they could make money off of comic book films, so they went and found any character and made a movie on him without putting that much effort.

It really irritates me sometimes that good, solid characters can get such poor film adaptions, in comparison.

Examples: Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Blade Trinity, X-Men: The Last Stand, etc.

These movies are not bad, per se, but their just not that good. They seem average to the point where it can make them bad, because it feels like so much good material is going to waste.

And again, don't get me wrong, their not really "shitty" or anything (Shitty ones being: Catwoman, Elektra, etc.), but just "okay."

Then there are great ones, like: Batman Begins, Spider-Man (1 and 2, IMO), X-Men/X2, and so forth.

In conclusion, I guess this is just sort of a rant on how I wish ALL comic films that are worth making are made the way the great ones are. They have so much potential and there are some great, in-depth stories to be told, but instead we get a bunch of movies that are thrown together simply to make profit, because creators have realized that they don't NEED to make a quality film to have it sell. Damn shame.

Thoughts?

Kazenji
I thought they did a pretty good job of the phantom film Billy zane was good for the role, Judge Dredd could've easily been better then what they ended up with.

pr1983
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I've noticed this a lot over the past few years.

It seems like many of the comic films that have been released since they got popular have been pretty bland and/or mediocre.

It's like the companies realized that they could make money off of comic book films, so they went and found any character and made a movie on him without putting that much effort.

It really irritates me sometimes that good, solid characters can get such poor film adaptions, in comparison.

Examples: Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Blade Trinity, X-Men: The Last Stand, etc.

These movies are not bad, per se, but their just not that good. They seem average to the point where it can make them bad, because it feels like so much good material is going to waste.

And again, don't get me wrong, their not really "shitty" or anything (Shitty ones being: Catwoman, Elektra, etc.), but just "okay."

Then there are great ones, like: Batman Begins, Spider-Man (1 and 2, IMO), X-Men/X2, and so forth.

In conclusion, I guess this is just sort of a rant on how I wish ALL comic films that are worth making are made the way the great ones are. They have so much potential and there are some great, in-depth stories to be told, but instead we get a bunch of movies that are thrown together simply to make profit, because creators have realized that they don't NEED to make a quality film to have it sell. Damn shame.

Thoughts?

i'd actually be a lot more critical than you are, but i agree, companies see it more as a money making exercise than a true conversion of a beloved character...

ragesRemorse
Well, the so called "great ones" X-men, X2, Spiderman, Batman begins, are actually a result from an accident. They were starting from a dead franchise. So there was nothing to lose. Which results in hardwork, vision, and much detail on the overall body. Now; Today, there is an established money market that is the superhero world. Studios want money, they understand that the next big thing is superheros, and produce many fly by night movies to take advatage of the popularity of the superheros.

this is why you get sloppy movies like ghost rider, X3 blade trinity and so on. It falls on the directors hands. It comes down to he director. Who's vision is behind the camera dictates the emotional experience . Hopefully this guy is a comic fan and has comic vision all the while having pull in the studio world.

OB1-adobe
I think you people should shut the fvck up and stop complaining.

I am enormously grateful that x-men and Spider-man (we'll see in a month) have made it this far without turning into utter summer blockbuster garbage.

Go watch Batman & Robin, Supergirl, Captain America, Superman III, and Catwoman again so you'll get my point

pr1983
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

I am enormously grateful that x-men and Spider-man (we'll see in a month) have made it this far without turning into utter summer blockbuster garbage.

Go watch Batman & Robin, Supergirl, Captain America, Superman III, and Catwoman again so you'll get my point

x-men 2 and 3 WERE summer blockbusters... thats what they always were... even if they did have good points, they were still made with a heavy financial plan in mind...

and supergirl isn't THAT bad in comparison to alot of comic book movies...

ragesRemorse

When the writers and creators stop listening to the fans, what do you have left?

See, fans made the franchise. THen the franchise exapanded out to new audiences. After pulling new generations and fans into their cult movie studio following movies. The god damn movie studios, and creators then turn around and do what ever the hell they want with the characters and story lines, while not giving a frick about what the fans have to say...you know why? because they already have a new following, so if you want your precious heros that you grew up with, you get to learn to love the new shit they cram down your throat.

You go watch supergirl, batman and robin. I know you really like those movies in your heart of hearts. admit it...you like them more than x-man and spiderman, hellboy, constantine, and x2 because you dont know what it means to be a true fan, your just a fanboy who jumped on the band wagon. go read some comics and watch some movies before you come here insulting people whom created a thread soley for fun to bash hated comic flicks. smokin'

pr1983
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
When the writers and creators stop listening to the fans, what do you have left?

See, fans made the franchise. THen the franchise exapanded out to new audiences. After pulling new generations and fans into their cult movie studio following movies. The god damn movie studios, and creators then turn around and do what ever the hell they want with the characters and story lines, while not giving a frick about what the fans have to say...you know why? because they already have a new following, so if you want your precious heros that you grew up with, you get to learn to love the new shit they cram down your throat.

You go watch supergirl, batman and robin. I know you really like those movies in your heart of hearts. admit it...you like them more than x-man and spiderman, hellboy, constantine, and x2 because you dont know what it means to be a true fan, your just a fanboy who jumped on the band wagon. go read some comics and watch some movies before you come here insulting people whom created a thread soley for fun to bash hated comic flicks. smokin'

pretty much spot on... except the batman and robin part... seriously... stick out tongue

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Actually I do read comics, and I am fully aware of the differences between the adaptations and the source material's history. Batman Begins is an awsome movie, but don't you think I didn't notice that Ras al Ghul's character was a little stray. Also, Spider-man totally F'ed up the green goblin.

In addition, I don't like Batman & robin. The hack job on the films story, dialog and overall representation and insertion into the legacy of Batman was just lame. Superman IV is fun to watch, its a crap movie, but its fun.

The only thing you can hope for is that the film left you with something in your heart and represented the characters and their legacy the best it could.

You go make a movie and try to get the 3000 people working under you to give a shit about the source material.

MX5RACER
Worst comic movie of all time, and the award goes to:

"Nick Fury, Agent of Shield"

It is films like this that give the rest a bad name. You will always have the traditionalist who want their stories to stick to the comics. Then you will have the people who just watch it because it is a movie about their favorite hero. I for one enjoy good movies, even if they stray from the comic path.

But do not produce films like Elektra and Nick Fury, just to jump in on the bandwagon of making comic films. Movies are another form of telling stories, and if the stories suck, it won't matter who or what is in it. It will suck too.

ragesRemorse

You go make a movie and try to get the 3000 people working under you to give a shit about the source material.

That is actually not that hard to do, when the Director cares. How do you think great filmakers are able to have their vision of the movie represented as the final product? X-men did a good job, X2 did a better job. this is because singer cared about the material. Granted, most of the characters were changed from the comic, but there presence was translated very well. Nolan did a superb job with batman, because he recognized that the fans were more partial to the dark knight rather than the goofey childish batman found in the earlier detective comics.

raimi probably did the best job he could with Spiderman. I'm not sure why so many people dislike the goblin so much. As a spiderman fan through and through, i was very satisfied with his onscreen character. the costume probably could have used a bit more conceptual designs, but it was goblin none the less. It looked better than a cloth mask. I was more concerend with spidermans character. The peter parker in the comics and movie are two very different characters, but it still worked none the less.

Movies like x-3 and the hulk are results of directors whom have their own vision and are not very concerned with the fans expectations. all you need to have a succesfull translation is a willing studio and and Director who cares about the material. Everyone working under the director and writers follow their direction.

spidey-dude
elektra
catwoman
batman and robin
blade
xmen 3
superman returns

all those movies suck

Kazenji
Originally posted by spidey-dude
elektra
catwoman
batman and robin
blade
xmen 3
superman returns

all those movies suck

Hell no not the first blade or X-men 3 these 2 are'nt as bad as the rest of them

pr1983
Originally posted by spidey-dude
elektra
catwoman
batman and robin
blade
xmen 3
superman returns

all those movies suck

i liked blade, and i thought x3 wasnt bad in comparison to its predecessors...

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Kazenji
Hell no not the first blade or X-men 3 these 2 are'nt as bad as the rest of them

Are you kidding me? X-men3 was one of the most dissapointing comic flicks of all time. It was dumb shit. Saying that about a comic book movie is saying alot. I bet you liked pirates of the carribean2 aswell huh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.