Where to start

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

allfg
Well I've noticed that the majority of the members that post in these comicbook forums are longterm comicbook fans, and seem to know their stuff, so basically, I'm new and was wondering where to start.

SpunkySmurph
Go to your local comic shop.
Buy a comic book.
Read it.

I'm anticipating a "Hi Judge" soon.

Scoobless
Then come on KMC and tell everyone why it sucked and which member of the creative team you want to disembowel first.

smile

DigiMark007
Start with what, exactly?

Anyways, don't go ape-sh*t guys...he's been on a few months and spells well, so sock-dom isn't likely.

And welcome. I dunno. Start posting in whatever threads interest you. There's a lot of comic knowledge to be had here.

smile

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by DigiMark007

And welcome. I dunno. Start posting in whatever threads interest you. There's a lot of comic knowledge to be had here.

smile Digi = Sock of Guy222? ermmnone

allfg
When I say "where to start?" what I mean is which comicbooks would you suggest starting at, for someone who's relatively new to reading comicbooks?

Black Adam
Originally posted by allfg
Well I've noticed that the majority of the members that post in these comicbook forums are longterm comicbook fans, and seem to know their stuff, so basically, I'm new and was wondering where to start.

what genre are you most interested in? horror? scifi? crime? etc

are you looking for something with a lot of action or lot's of dialogue?

allfg
Originally posted by Black Adam
what genre are you most interested in? horror? scifi? crime? etc

are you looking for something with a lot of action or lot's of dialogue?

Good questions. I'm mostly into Sci-Fi, and in terms of action and dialogue, I'd say half and half.

DigiMark007
Serious: Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Sandman Series (by Neil Gaiman)

Good Solo Arcs: Secret Wars, Kingdom Come, Justice, Crisis on Infinite Earths (to catch up on DC continuity), Infinite Crisis (more recent "Crisis"wink, Civil War (most recent Marvel arc)

Popular Medium: Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man is his best-known series), Superman, Wolverine, X-Men, Batman

Good Solo Arcs for Popular Character: The Dark Knight Returns (Batman), Maximum Carnage (Spidey), not sure for the others.

Good, Well-written Ongoing Series': JSA, Teen Titans, Ultimates (Marvel's "Ultimate Universe" Avengers), Daredevil.

Indie Label Stuff that's Good: The Authority (Wildstorm), Mr. Majestic (also WS), Y -The Last Man, Fables

MightyEInherjar
Well, I would say pick the good ol' Avengers, but now there's so many...

Do you live in the United States?

Scoobless
I'd suggest picking up the Authority TPBs (Trade Paper Backs) ... they seem to have impressed most people who have read them.

allfg
No I live in the U.K.

MightyEInherjar
Ah, well try and find yourself a comic shop, or even a larger bookstore, and they should have TPB (or Graphic Novels...pretty much same thing). It's basically a bunch of issues, usually a chunk of an ongoing or an entire mini, all wrapped up into one "thick comic."

I suggest going there and looking around to see what you like, what catches your eye.

Scoobless
No I live in the U.K.

Where in the UK?

This site has a list of the addresses of all "Forbidden Planet" locations in the UK.

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page_2

I use the one in Edinburgh.

smile

allfg
Cool, thanks for the info.

allfg
Ok, new question, I just posted it in the SW forums.

Black Adam
pick up the first trade of x-factor along with the Madrox Mini that led into it. I knew absolutely nothing about the characters and I still enjoyed it.

for scifi:

Warren Ellis is the go to guy. There's Orbiter and Ocean for the more serious fans. There's Transmetropolitan which has a lot of funny moments but still has it's serious side. Planetary is great smile

Something non Ellis: Fear agent. think ratchet and Clank with a Human main character. Lot's of action. I have the first trade and second one should be out soon. the series is relaunching with a new number 1 when it moves over from Image to darkhorse in a few months.

Got a lot of other suggestions if you're looking for non scifi stuff. Also keep in mind most of the stuff I mention you should just pick up the trades. Trying to track down and buying the single issues Is going to cost you a fortune.

allfg
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Someone mentioned The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. They any good?

TricksterPriest
I personally highly recommend the Knightfall/Knightquest series. Very well done and it really illustrates the character of Batman really well. oh, and JLA. Pre-IC if you can find it.

If you can't,

http://groups.msn.com/ultimatespidermanonlinecomic/jla.msnw

use that. stick out tongue

NoFate007
Honestly, I wouldn't suggest starting with comics. I would suggest to start by watching the DCAU. There is a large number of shows to watch between all the different series, however they're really faithful to comics and are a good way to get you involved in various different characters without possibly buying a bad comic.

If you're still interested after watching a bunch of episodes of say, the Justice League Unlimited, or Batman TAS, just start reading up on characters on Wikipedia and such. Then start buying whatever you feel like reading, looking at lists of well-recommended things (such as, if you're interested in Batman, reading The Killing Joke).

Morridini
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Someone mentioned The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. They any good?

If you are going for Batman then I would recommend "The Long Halloween" as a way to get to know Batman/Bruce Wayne and Gotham as well as a great story.

bigbran
Well I've noticed that the majority of the members that post in these comicbook forums are longterm comicbook fans, and seem to know their stuff, so basically, I'm new and was wondering where to start. I just started getting into comics when I saw this board...

Anyway... who do you like as a character?
Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Alfred?

willRules

Well if you like Marvel Then I'd recommend Anything Spider-man related. If you want individual issues I'd recommend Amazing spider-man for ongoing story lines, or if you want just one issue then Spider-man Unlimited comics.

I think you said you come from the UK. I would also recommend Astonishing Spider-man, Essential X-men, Mighty World of Marvel or Avengers united. Theses are good value for money (For example 1 issue of Astonishing Spider-man = 3 issues of Amazing or Spectacular spider-man but cheaper. However they are about 2 to 3 years behind the latest issues of Amazing Spider-man) These British titles are really good reads.

If you like sci-fi action stuff then I'd recommend Ultimate X-men. You can get volumes 1 to like 14 or 15 in any decent comic store. it's basically retold the X-men's origins but slightly differently to a modern audience in a more modern setting. I recommend vol 1.

If you like Avengers I'd recommend The Ultimates. just like the Ultimate X-men, it's retold the Avenger's origins but in a contemporary way and it's a fantastic read. Or you could collect New Avengers comics.

For one shot story lines, Secret Wars (That's wars not war, Secret war is a naff read)

I'm not as big a fan of DC comics but I recommend Batman stuff. There are two graphic novels/trade paperbacks of a Batman storyline called Batman : Hush. if you like great art and action scenes, you'll love this.

But here are just a few comics or trade paperbacks I recommend.

Marvel heroes : Secret Wars
Ultimate X-men vol 1
Ultimates Vol 1
Ultimates Vol 2
Batman Hush vol 1
Batman Hush vol 2
Any amazing spider-man trades are good, just pick one you like the look of.
Daredevil vol 1 Guardian Devil
Marvel civil War event.

There are sooooo many more I could recommend and here are just a few favourites I personally thought were great, but all you really need to do is find a local shop, bring a wad of cash with you and just go crazy with anything you like the look of. big grin yes

The Pict
Originally posted by Scoobless
Where in the UK?

This site has a list of the addresses of all "Forbidden Planet" locations in the UK.

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page_2

I use the one in Edinburgh.

smile

Good store, Forbidden Planet is probably the best place to start buying comics in the UK.

Though some independent shops are cool as well.

kevdude

Welcome. Start reading some X-men, Green Lantern, Fantastic Four, and make sure you pick up DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and Marvels Civil War.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.