Lack of racial diversity in comics a problem?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Check out this article, and see if you agree with the author's premise about why comic sales are lower today.

http://www.thestar.com/sciencetech/article/193167

Symmetric Chaos
"In every other medium, the most successful concept or product is black." - Reggie Hudlin

If thats true then comics deserve to be 'whitewashed'

On a more serious note it's hard introduce new characters when classic ones (ones made when comics were far less progressive) are far more well known and profitable.

There are other problems in adding ethnic characters because the moment one of them does something slightly different from what people think is PC you get attacked.

Validus
Racial diversity is an old hat as far as the media is concerned. Sexual diversity is the new hotness.

inamilist
interesting...

I hardly see why poor sales and crappy overplayed stories is a racial issue though, considering the lackluster success of racially motivated characters...

What did I miss?

Badabing
Hasn't this thread been done already?

Symmetric Chaos
Nice sig Bada

Badabing
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Nice sig Bada You must be referring to the durfist.

stick out tongue
Thank you.

Darth Vicious
It figures, as soon as I read the title I knew Hudlin had something to do with it!

Validus
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
It figures, as soon as I read the title I knew Hudlin had something to do with it!
Pretty funny. I was reading the article and saw Hudlin's name so I skipped to the next paragraph. laughing out loud

Psyquis52
I think this is kind of stupid. I mean...Hulk is one of the most popular characters out there and he's green! Talk about racial issues. stick out tongue

long pig
Hudlin: "The comic industry be straight trippin', boo."

Indeed, Mr.Hudlin. Indeed.

roughrider
I don't think it's the big factor the author claims it is.

They have been saying the same thing about coaching positions in the NFL for years. Though it's not up to the same proportion of black-to-white players, it's slowly changing and no one has ever claimed the NFL was ever in financial trouble over perception.

Also, while popular comics may not circulate in the 300,000 to 500,000 a month range like the 1980's ( I think only in the 1940's did comics like SHAZAM do a million a month), they also cost five times as much as they did twenty years ago. Plus, he didn't account for the popularity of bookstore-friendly graphic novels, which further offsets the financial loss.

long pig
Exactly.
You don't NEED to sell 300,000 copies when you can sell 90,000 copies for 4.oo a piece.

In fact, even adding inflation, the industry makes many times more money than it did 30 years ago.

Thing is, this is a race baiting article and we all know that people lie their ass off when it comes to race.

NAACP says blacks are worse of now than 60 years ago. Hahaha....no.

Psyquis52
It's a total crock.

AcousticDoc
Why the hell does "minority" or "ethnic diversity" or "racial diversity" in the media always mean blacks? For goodness sake, blacks have it pretty good as far as media represenation goes for comics, tv and movies (along with negative represenations in the news). Introduce more mexican-american heroes and asian-american heroes and middle eastern american heroes.

Psyquis52
Originally posted by AcousticDoc
Why the hell does "minority" or "ethnic diversity" or "racial diversity" in the media always mean blacks? For goodness sake, blacks have it pretty good as far as media represenation goes for comics, tv and movies (along with negative represenations in the news). Introduce more mexican-american heroes and asian-american heroes and middle eastern american heroes.
Co-signed.

Rick/Genis
Hudlin is a dumb fudge sickel.

grey fox
Originally posted by AcousticDoc

Co-signed.

Only mexican-american character I know is Arachne (Girl with blue bug armour , not Omega flight)

Dinalfos
Racial diversity, so that certain blacks can moan and ***** about racism some more. If there's no racial diversity, you'll be accused of racism. If there IS racial diversity, it will be used as a tool for "social commentary" (I.E accusing you of racism).

Rick/Genis
I think at this point the Thread will probably close...

Dinalfos
Which would be a shame. And a slap in the face of reason.

Rick/Genis
Yeah, but it's too.... race-e laughing

Pardon the pun

TricksterPriest
laughing that was bad. The fact they are talking to Hudlin about this issue shows this magazine is not very smart. Hell, Hudlin is one of the reasons certain comics aren't selling well. Not to mention the shit writing in CW and other problems. Hell, Annihilation is the only good thing in Marvel currently. Even JLA, which I like alot, isn't doing as well IMO. Sure, IC was awesome, but this 'Tornado's path' arc is pissing me off. Racial diversity is a red herring, they're just trying to cover up that the writing has gone to shit and they won't admit it's their own damn fault comics aren't selling well.

NiņoAraņa

Nataku8188
Here you go Mr. Hudlin.

Swanky-Tuna

manjaro
its kind of f ****ed up in north america race relations is still being boiled down to a black and white issues, wht at about latinos and asians, and middle easterners? i think they should be repped too.

Nataku8188
Originally posted by manjaro
its kind of f ****ed up in north america race relations is still being boiled down to a black and white issues, wht at about latinos and asians, and middle easterners? i think they should be repped too.

No one cares about them, duh.

AcousticDoc
Originally posted by Nataku8188
No one cares about them, duh.

ROFL laughing

Alfheim
Originally posted by Nataku8188
No one cares about them, duh. laughing

Obvoulsy I agree they should be repped, but its just the way you said it.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
They don't go into story detail at all in the article. So it'd actually be weird if they DID mention Cap just died. Not to mention it would be unnecessarily blurting out a spoiler.

I kind of wish people would take a hint because the day the comic came out there were all kinds of "CAP JUST GOT SHOT AND NOW HE'S DEAD" threads. What if I wanted to be surprised? Jerks. sorry i usually use spoiler tags, guess i was pissed

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Validus
Pretty funny. I was reading the article and saw Hudlin's name so I skipped to the next paragraph. laughing out loud

I caught his name while I started reading the article and just closed it right after.

Grimm22

inamilist
Originally posted by Grimm22
Who doesn't know about Cap yet?

Seriously, thats like saying you don't know about Batwoman being a lesbian

I didn't know that

pr1983
The thing is, and i think this needs to be pointed out, that the large majority of comic readers are young white males, and they're the key demographic comics are aimed towards (as in young males, regardless of colour, it just so happens that the white ones are the majority), and what people like hudlin (i love boomerang, but he's a tool) fail to realise is that if the character is written well, it wont matter a damn whether the character is black, white, orange or green...

as somebody said, this is just an excuse...

having more black or asian characters won't make comics better, having more well-written characters will, be they whatever colour they are...

willRules
Originally posted by manjaro

Well it is unlikely that an American based company is going to portray many middle eastern characters as they know there is the possibility people will associate them with the current climate of us westerners over there killing men women and children. (Brits and Americans alike, neither side of the pond is exempt from this atrocity). Plus it's not like any of those countries are facing Civil War themselves, just not of a superhero or registration act kind yes

inamilist
I almost feel like making a full rebuttal to this. But it seems like everyone is pretty much in agreement about the ridiculousness of it...

I can't believe there are people being paid to indoctrinate others with this type of racial BS.

long pig
But, if Hudlin is right about other media being mostly Black, then wouldn't it be perfectly ok for comics to be mostly white? Sounds like Hudlin wants all entertainment companies to be like BET and only have whites on as cops and uneducated buffoons.

I hate Hudlin, simply because he's blatantly racist and uses his own race to climb further up the corporate latter. It's like, this douche-bag talks about how much he loves the black people but he's a head honcho on a BET, that channel plays videos that makes us look like thieves and gangsters 24/7. BET is worse than the Klan when it comes to pushing steriotypes about black people.

I just....hate...Hudlin...so much....so, so much.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by long pig
But, if Hudlin is right about other media being mostly Black, then wouldn't it be perfectly ok for comics to be mostly white? Sounds like Hudlin wants all entertainment companies to be like BET and only have whites on as cops and uneducated buffoons.

I hate Hudlin, simply because he's blatantly racist and uses his own race to climb further up the corporate latter. It's like, this douche-bag talks about how much he loves the black people but he's a head honcho on a BET, that channel plays videos that makes us look like thieves and gangsters 24/7. BET is worse than the Klan when it comes to pushing steriotypes about black people.

I just....hate...Hudlin...so much....so, so much.

Or pedophiles according to you're Sig ! I'm sorry mate, but you're Joke delivery is stereotypically black. ! smile

long pig
Originally posted by Donkey Punch
Or pedophiles according to you're Sig ! I'm sorry mate, but you're Joke delivery is stereotypically black. ! smile

Ah, ya got me there.

Validus
Long Pig = Hudlin?!?!?

nvrbeenwthagirl
K the problem is, no one has created any original black heroes in a long while. Most of the black heroes are copies of white heroes. cept like storm, and black Panther. they are pretty cool. but even still, when black heroes get titles, they aren't really written well to me. I'm black. I dont buy them lol. Ok so spawn is cool and black. But you can't tell it under the mask. But who cares anyway. I don't care if the comic characters were all purple.

Dinalfos
You can't tell that Black Panther is black under the mask either.

Martian_mind
Making Black heroes is nigh impossible due to the want for Black heroes.

You can't make them like traditional White heroes or your told they're being badly characterized.Do them like their black and your told your stereotyping.

If you put them in the middle they end up as a shit hero,it's probably why no one bothers,too much hassle.

Juntai
DC isn't having too much problem with it.
Black Adam.
Firestorm.
Blue Beetle.
Steel.
John Stewart, GL.
on and on. They have a lot of minorities.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by Juntai
Black Adam.
Firestorm.
Blue Beetle.
Steel.
John Stewart, GL.

Black Adam isn't vey black. sad

inamilist
Originally posted by Donkey Punch
Black Adam isn't vey black. sad

isn't he an Arab?

Black Adam
Originally posted by Juntai
Black Adam.
Firestorm.
Blue Beetle.
Steel.
John Stewart, GL.

yeah..I hope Marvel doesn't start going the DC route in order to have a more diverse universe.

I'm all for minorities in comics but this recent thing of replacing white heroes with Black/Hispanic /Gay counterparts just seems so eck. Like they don't think they would ever make it on their own as their own character so they have tag along on the coattails of some b list white character.

"V"
You seen the New New Warriors line-up? That's the reason there is a lack of racial diversity.

When you see young teenage mexican girls with ipods dancing around shouting "Ese!" you know there's a problem.

Grimm22
Agreed, I mean how many Latinos do you know actually can speak Spanish?

Seriously

Symmetric Chaos
Agreed, I mean how many Latinos do you know actually can speak Spanish?

Seriously

Of the one's I know? All of them.

Grimm22
Of the one's I know? All of them.

Well it just goes to show you that I don't have many Spanish friends now doesn't it stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos
Well it just goes to show you that I don't have many Spanish friends now doesn't it stick out tongue

laughing out loud

Validus
Originally posted by Black Adam
yeah..I hope Marvel doesn't start going the DC route in order to have a more diverse universe.

I'm all for minorities in comics but this recent thing of replacing white heroes with Black/Hispanic /Gay counterparts just seems so eck. Like they don't think they would ever make it on their own as their own character so they have tag along on the coattails of some b list white character.
Minorities not good enough to fill the shoes of a white hero?!? mad

SOMEBODY CALL JESSE JACKSON!

darthgoober
Originally posted by Badabing
Hasn't this thread been done already?
Pretty much(minus the opening article anyway)...
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/425011_1-mostly-caucasian-in-comics

And my own personal opinion on the matter is the same now as it was then...
Originally posted by darthgoober
Look it comes down to this, there are more Caucasian characters, because there are more comics purchased by Caucasian people. Could it be more diverse? Yes. But with most comic book settings, it probably wouldn't be statistically realistic. I mean, why would there be as many Native American heroes in New York City as there are Caucasian heroes, when there's not as many Native American people living in New York City as there are Caucasian? It wouldn't make any sense. You have to remember that your talking about MINORITY groups, which is why there shown in the minority. Creating equal characters of EVERY race will just insure that there are a bunch of characters that are going to flop, because most readers won't relate as well to them. The comic companies would waste MILLIONS of dollars, just trying to establish a bunch of characters that they know won't go over well.

Badabing

SOMEBODY CALL JESSE JACKSON! That's an awesome Lex Luthor avi you have there Val. blink messed wacko

stick out tongue

long pig

SOMEBODY CALL JESSE JACKSON!
Woopty woop. Shawty. Fo rizzle. Straight trippin. Tippin on fo fos. Candy paint and wood grain smokin on that b thang. Keep a litre in my cup.

WHERE MY BITCHESSS ATTTT?!

kenobi
I do not agree with there being no racial diversity in comics. Two of my favorite characters are "minority". Black Adam and Mr. Terrific are 2 very good characters that probably should get their own series. I like Cap. Marvel more than Adam so I am hesitant for Adam to get his own monthly and feel DC should make Cap. Marvel cool like they are doing with Adam in 52. Mr. Terrific led the JSA for awhile and I would love if DC did a monthly on him.

kenobi
Of the one's I know? All of them. I am hispanic and can not speak spanish. I only know some words. I live near San Antonio too. The shame. sad

long pig
Originally posted by kenobi
I am hispanic and can not speak spanish. I only know some words. I live near San Antonio too. The shame. sad
You damned coconut.

Brown on the outside, white on the inside.

inamilist
Originally posted by long pig
You damned coconut.

Brown on the outside, white on the inside.

wow......... confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.