French New Wave

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Superfly4000
I just recently got interested in the French New Wave films. I've read up and seen some clips from Eric Rhomers Six Moral Tales and it seems really cool.

Has anyone seen this? and does anyone have any good suggestions for things I should see?

Solo
Band of Outsiders
The 400 Blows
Week End
Le Samourai (I suppose.)

Start out with the most well known directors first, i.e. Jean Pierre Melville, Jean-Luc Godard, and Francois Truffaut.

manorastroman
aside from the trio solo mentioned, luis bunuel is arguably a forebearer, considering he was doing weird art films with dali way back when. and i still haven't seen a movie with more narrative experimentation than discreet charm.

Superfly4000
thanks alot, I will definatley try to find those. They might be hard to find in video stores though.

Solo
I recommend just getting a trial to Blockbuster Online or Netflix, they are expensive, and there is a good chance you might not even like them.

Superfly4000
Sounds like a good idea. I've been watching alot of the American films from the 70's and they all point to these films for inspiration. I've seen a few clips and have been amazed

Dusty
Netflix.

Solo
Blockbuster Online is great too, and I think all you have to do is go up to an employee at Blockbuster and ask for a one month free trial.

Dusty
Brother has blockbuster. Netflix > Blockbuster.

MildPossession
Breathless/A Bout de Souffle is an obvious classic, if for some reason you haven't seen it yet definitely check the film out, it's brilliant. stick out tongue

Try and check out some Agnes Varda films too.

Last Year at the Marienbad, try that one, just watched it a few weeks ago.

exanda kane
Originally posted by MildPossession
Breathless/A Bout de Souffle is an obvious classic, if for some reason you haven't seen it yet definitely check the film out, it's brilliant. stick out tongue

Bring a book or something for the middle of the film lol

Superfly4000
The new Chris Rock movie is supposedly a comedy remake of one of the Six Moral Tales movies. I'm not sure what I think about that

Superfly4000
Dave Chapelle is making a comedy remake of a new wave film too, looks like a new trend

MildPossession
Oh fabulous...

milo1955
Hello, I saw a french presumably new wave movie in the mid 70's that was much like, Celine and Julie goes Boating only some of the plot was different. Was their a similar movie or a "further adventures" etc? In the movie I remember the two women try to prevent the death of someone but it wasn't a little girl, and they also discover that it is a real event that will happen in the near future. I think they discovered that it was a real future event when one of them notices a newspaper dated a week in the future, in the constantly being replayed scene.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.