Is superman really invulnerable?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vader11
Everyone know that superman can withstand bullets & knifes, etc. But can he withstand nuclear weapons or something such as lightsaber?

superkronick92
Originally posted by vader11
Everyone know that superman can withstand bullets & knifes, etc. But can he withstand nuclear weapons or something such as lightsaber?

Although some different incarnations of superman are more vulnerable than others, the main stream concept of superman is only vulnerable to a few things like kryptonite and EXTREME force, but he has easily withstood nuclear weapons, and could probably easily withstand a lightsaber.

vader11
Isn't an atomic bomb or hydrogen bomb a extreme force?

superkronick92
Isn't an atomic bomb or hydrogen bomb a extreme force?

In the real world yes, in the comic book realm, it's not that bad.

Galvaclaw
Not extreme enough. Superman's taken planet destroying explosions before.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by Galvaclaw
Not extreme enough. Superman's taken planet destroying explosions before.

Not really, he's only been able to live through when he has absorbed their energy is some shape or form, e.g. like the MAHGEDON explosion. smile

LORDSIDIOUS01
He goes down to krytonite time and again.

ragesRemorse
The truth of the matter is that Superman is invulnerable when the situation calls for it. Is he immortal and impervious? as long as he sells comics.

I have a question and wasnt sure where to ask it. diddnt want to start a thread for one question. What comic series of superman leads up to him leaving to sleep in the sun? Why did he leave in the first place? much appreciated if any help can be given?

Endless Mike
That happened over 70,000 years in the future from mainstream DC continuity.

As for his invulnerablity, he has easily survived nuclear bombs, he does that all the time. He's even taken supernova - level explosions or higher. However if you have enough force you can put him down without utilizing one of his weaknesses (Kryptonite, red sun radiation, or magic). Examples are Darkseid (at least back when he wasn't a joke), Mageddon, Imperiex, Doomsday....

Magee
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
The truth of the matter is that Superman is invulnerable when the situation calls for it. Is he immortal and impervious? as long as he sells comics.

I have a question and wasnt sure where to ask it. diddnt want to start a thread for one question. What comic series of superman leads up to him leaving to sleep in the sun? Why did he leave in the first place? much appreciated if any help can be given? It was only explained in the dc 1million arc by Supes 1million. He left because all his loved ones had long since past away and felt as though the earth was in safe hands. I think he spent thousands of years traveling the universe, fighting gods and demons and apparently breaking through the gates of heaven all in search of Lois. He returned to earth at some point a few hundred century's down the line and granted his Superman dynasty with powers beyond any metahuman and 10 new extra senses I think. This is the point where he decides to go hibernate in the sun for oh I dunno a few hundred thousand years. The story behind Superman Prime is vague at best but DC 1 Million is a really good read.

ragesRemorse
thanks partner

Avalonofthewind

He's taken a direct nuclear blast while being in kryptonite more than once.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Magee
It was only explained in the dc 1million arc by Supes 1million. He left because all his loved ones had long since past away and felt as though the earth was in safe hands. I think he spent thousands of years traveling the universe, fighting gods and demons and apparently breaking through the gates of heaven all in search of Lois. He returned to earth at some point a few hundred century's down the line and granted his Superman dynasty with powers beyond any metahuman and 10 new extra senses I think. This is the point where he decides to go hibernate in the sun for oh I dunno a few hundred thousand years. The story behind Superman Prime is vague at best but DC 1 Million is a really good read.
They got their ten extra senses from breeding with the 5-d imps.

UniOmni
He's as invulnerable as Surfer is.

He's not invulnerable.

He appears to be, but then, to ants we're like gods.

It's all relative, is what i'm saying.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by UniOmni
He's as invulnerable as Surfer is.

He's not invulnerable.

He appears to be, but then, to ants we're like gods.

It's all relative, is what i'm saying.

And all meaningless,

I have the feeling that u may have had a breakdown recently hence all your irrational behaviour.
smile

vader11
It would be fun to see how superman withstand a lightsaber...

Galvaclaw
It likely wouldn't effect him. He can fly through red suns (which drain his power) without a burn and take heat vision from other Kryptonians to the face. Superman has very high energy resistance.

Slowhand
It would be fun to see how superman withstand a lightsaber...

As a casual fan of Superman and mildly hardcore fan of SW movies, I will bite. We all know that Superman's skin will easily turn a knife and is resistant to temperature extremes. Because lightsabers behave like swords, one could assume Superman would easilydeflect a blow.

No, correct me if I'm wrong, but lightsabers use various crystals to focus the beam of light, hence, the different colour blades. Supposing some managed to use a chunk of Kryptonite as the focal crystal? Would the resulting beam cut through his skin or would the hilt just make him sick?

Food for though.

Magee
Well a kryptonite sword would most likely impale him with enough force behind it so yes I imagine a k-nite lightsaber would. Though I don't think a normal one would do shit.

Endless Mike
A lightsaber can slice things apart on an atomic level so it might hurt him, but then again it is repelled by forcefields, and Superman has his own forcefield....

pr1983
a normal lightsaber would bounce off him, a kryptonite one might take a few swings, but it would eventually kill him...

jasofisc

matters the writer and who is holding he lightsaber. DOS supes most likely could be ko'd by a nuke by post imprelex it would take a crap lot more then that to do anything to him.

The lightsaber thing would be interesting though. Even the most crazy writters (like Jeph Loab) have shown that supes can be cut by things that are really durrable (like solders bullet) so a light saber might do a lot of damage. but seeing as how superman has a healing factor now I don't see it killing him or putting him down for long

vader11
It would be very interesting to see what would happen if someone hits spuerman with a lightsaber...(would it cut through his skin or not?) If it can, then that guy can just cut superman's head offlaughing

((The_Anomaly))
A regular lightsaber would do nothing at all to him. You'd achieve the same effect with a lightsaber as you would if you hit Supes with a baseball bat. Nothing.

EkinEku
couldnt the light sabre emulate red sunlight and cut him up?

vader11
It's hard to imagine the lightsaber can be stopped by superman's skin...><

Kento
but it should be stopped by his forcefield he has.. Unless the bio-aura has been retconed without me knowing it to him not having it.

Galvaclaw
Why> It's just a blade of heat and Superman has taken Supernova's to the chin before. The Aura stops it and even if the aura has been retconed ther's still no evidence a light saber could slice through someone of Superman's durability.

beast1234
invulneabilty is nothing but moluecule density. a scientific genius could come up with weapon that will pierce through his invulneabilty.

Bad Ash231
No one is invulnerable.

Superman just has a high level of durability.

beast1234
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
No one is invulnerable.

Superman just has a high level of durability.

your damn right

RevoWution™©®
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
He goes down to krytonite time and again.

How about a kryptonite light saber? I'm sure Lex Luthor would be able to create one if he thought of it lol.

Dark-Jaxx
Superman has relative invulnerability, compared to us and most things in the universe he may as well be invulnerable.

Redlineshifter
Superman is invulnerable to conventional force. It is next too impossible to hurt him by conventional means. Things, like kryptonite, magic, supernovas, New Genesis and Apokolips colliding would be considered unconventional, IMHO.

Mindship
Only in our hearts. smokin'

zeel
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

I have a question and wasnt sure where to ask it. diddnt want to start a thread for one question. What comic series of superman leads up to him leaving to sleep in the sun? Why did he leave in the first place? much appreciated if any help can be given?

couldnt agree more.

Shalimar_fox
Yes sups is invulnerable(Hard to be hurt) but not invincable(Can't be hurt)

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Shalimar_fox
Yes sups is invulnerable(Hard to be hurt) but not invincable(Can't be hurt)

You realize those aren't the proper definitions, right?

Invulnerable and Invincible mean the same thing (although invincible has a connotation of being able to defeat anyone in addition to just resisting any attack)

Shalimar_fox
Well from what I've seen in the whole power list thing that they are.Dosn't matter though.

invincibility - the property being difficult or impossible to defeat (Key wordbeing Difficult)

invulnerability - having the strength to withstand attack

Yes I was some what wrong.But I know when it comes down to comic powers they are switched

You can look them up here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Endless Mike
You realize those aren't the proper definitions, right?

Invulnerable and Invincible mean the same thing (although invincible has a connotation of being able to defeat anyone in addition to just resisting any attack)

Don't worry....he can't spell right anyways, so I don't think that matters much.

ragesRemorse
I was reading the Dark Knight Returns again, last night. I forgot that Superman was almost killed by a Nuke in that story. The Nuke blotted out the sun and Superman started to deteriorate into nothingness. He was nearly resorted to nothing but bone (in minutes) but then he reached Sunlight and reverted back. That small Nuke nearly killed Superman though.

emporerpants
thats totally non cannon though.

Becci
Originally posted by Shalimar_fox
Well from what I've seen in the whole power list thing that they are.Dosn't matter though.

invincibility - the property being difficult or impossible to defeat (Key wordbeing Difficult)

invulnerability - having the strength to withstand attack

Yes I was some what wrong.But I know when it comes down to comic powers they are switched

You can look them up here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com

Invincible: Incapable of being overcome or defeated; unconquerable.
Invulnerable: Immune to attack; impregnable.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by emporerpants
thats totally non cannon though.

well, it should be. It's just as inconsistent as the rest of Superman's strengths.

roughrider
PC Superman barely survived a nuke once, in The Dark Knight Returns. That was no more out of continuity than other pre-1986 feats.

A lightsaber could singe his skin, but it wouldn't cut him open, I would say.

But the reason he doesn't have true invunerability, is his weakness to magic.
The sword & tiara of Wonder Woman have cut him right open (Kingdom Come, Countdown To Infinite Crisis & IC), as have the claws of Vixen & Equus (For Tomorrow), and the black ice axe of Viking (Superman/Batman vs. the Maximums.)
His invunerability is bypassed like it's not even there by these weapons, although DC often tries to show such wounds as surface cuts - except for WW's tiara, which nearly cut his neck in half, and he needed to withdraw from fighting.

roughrider
Originally posted by beast1234
invulneabilty is nothing but moluecule density. a scientific genius could come up with weapon that will pierce through his invulneabilty.

It's not his molecules. It's a microscopic bio-aura sitting just atop his skin, generated by the storage of yellow sunlight in his cells. It's why we've seen him resort to heat vision to shave his face. His physiology is actually pretty normal. It's why he turns into a normal man if he's cut off from sunlight for extended periods(meaning at least a few weeks.)

Galvaclaw
Why, is it hotter than a red sun?

Endless Mike
DKR takes place in an alternate continuity in the future, when Batman is really old. It's not canon.

roughrider

I didn't say it would cut him open, did I?
And Superman's skin & costume have been singed by normal explosions in the past. Look at the first time he met Bloodsport in the first John Byrne run.

And the heat of a Red Sun has nothing to do with why it affects Superman; it's the kind of radiation wave it gives off on his system.

Galvaclaw
Yes Byrnes run where everything an everything could hurt Superman, I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick of superman's power.

Enyalus

A lightsaber's blade consists of superheated and concentrated plasma. Plasma is produced in the interior of stars, for instance. So, it's probably similar or to the core or interior of a red star.

I think roughrider is right, and that it would probably singe his skin. Nothing more.

Endless Mike
You're forgetting about his forcefield

Enyalus
You're forgetting about his forcefield

No. I'm tactfully "ignoring" it, like most comic writers do. There's a difference. wink

braveheart
superman sux as a hero cause nothing can beat him

roz88
superman can t be hurt

roughrider
Originally posted by roz88
superman can t be hurt

wink

Markus Corvinus
Superman works best when he's not totally invulnerable, and he's not all powerful. Looking at the show "Smallville," that's the perfect example of how strong he should be. He's not a weakling but he's not too strong either.

roughrider
Originally posted by Markus Corvinus
Superman works best when he's not totally invulnerable, and he's not all powerful. Looking at the show "Smallville," that's the perfect example of how strong he should be. He's not a weakling but he's not too strong either.

Never mind Smallville; he's still a young man with developing powers in that.
I don't mind him as a being with herald level power. Can we all just agree he has near-invunerability, with just a few exceptions? Not total invunerability.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by braveheart
superman sux as a hero cause nothing can beat him

Darkseid
Doomsday
Anti-Monitor
Imperiex
Gog
Mxyzptlk
Superboy Prime
Sun-eaters
Triumph
Dr. Fate
Heaven's Ladder aliens

I could go on....

jalek moye
Darkseid
Doomsday
Anti-Monitor
Imperiex
Gog
Mxyzptlk
Superboy Prime
Sun-eaters
Triumph
Dr. Fate
Heaven's Ladder aliens

I could go on....

Thor shifty

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by jalek moye
Thor shifty

laughing

kgkg
Superman answers your question smile

Markus Corvinus
No being is completely invulnerable/invincible. As shown many times in comics, he can be hurt by beings as strong, or stronger than him. Plus, the fact that kryptonite and magic can hurt him makes this whole thread moot.

beast1234

KingD19
It's not his molecules that are dense, it's a psionic body field that's like, a few millimeters away from his skin, it takes the blows that he shrugs off like nothing, but it has been broken through on multiple occasions. One of the latest being Atlas.

Endless Mike
Actually Atlas used magic to break it, since magic is one of his weaknesses.

Anyway, his durability is a combination of his forcefield and his body

Raoul
Actually Atlas used magic to break it, since magic is one of his weaknesses.

Anyway, his durability is a combination of his forcefield and his body

aye, plus, atlas had help...

beast1234
Originally posted by KingD19
It's not his molecules that are dense, it's a psionic body field that's like, a few millimeters away from his skin, it takes the blows that he shrugs off like nothing, but it has been broken through on multiple occasions. One of the latest being Atlas.

dose superman have psionc powers

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by beast1234
dose superman have psionc powers

His powers were explained as partly psionic in the past. I'm not sure if that has survived Infinite Crisis...

KingD19
His invulnerability is explained as a supercharged bioelectric "aura" which acts as an invisible "force field" around his body.

And in the past he has had hypnosis abilities, but they were vague.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
His powers were explained as partly psionic in the past. I'm not sure if that has survived Infinite Crisis...
for the most part people and writers ignore that because its stupid. Like the whole he doesn't lift things its his mind and stuff

beast1234
His invulnerability is explained as a supercharged bioelectric "aura" which acts as an invisible "force field" around his body.

then in that case i will create a weapon that will remove the the electron from his atoms or create a formula that will stop his cells from produceing electromagnetic radtion.

quanchi112
No.

Allankles

That plus his atoms are more dense, at the subatomic level. It allows him to take unbeliavable damage even after his bio aura has been breached.

nij-ayias
Superman is invulnerable to supernova but never forget that he can be hurt and knock out. In the latest Justice League 30, Superman was knocked out by a moon busting. So that makes his range of being knock out is from moon busting to supernova. Getting knock out and receiving an attack without getting hurt are two different things.

jalek moye
Originally posted by nij-ayias
Superman is invulnerable to supernova but never forget that he can be hurt and knock out. In the latest Justice League 30, Superman was knocked out by a moon busting. So that makes his range of being knock out is from moon busting to supernova. Getting knock out and receiving an attack without getting hurt are two different things.
he actually is normally above that level. it was a low showing, hes normally way farther then that.

nij-ayias
Originally posted by jalek moye
he actually is normally above that level. it was a low showing, hes normally way farther then that.

Low showing doesn't necessary mean ignoring limits that was shown in the comics, low showing things were words not used by any Superman writers. What I'm talking about is his limit in getting knocked out, if you can show any scan that Superman withstand a supernova without getting knocked out, then I'm wrong. In Justice League of America 30, it was pretty clear that Superman's limit in getting knocked out was a 81 billion tons moon buster.

skygunner41
Low showing doesn't necessary mean ignoring limits that was shown in the comics, low showing things were words not used by any Superman writers. What I'm talking about is his limit in getting knocked out, if you can show any scan that Superman withstand a supernova without getting knocked out, then I'm wrong. In Justice League of America 30, it was pretty clear that Superman's limit in getting knocked out was a 81 billion tons moon buster.

Seriously you want to consider Mc Duffie fact....a factual fact....

nij-ayias
Originally posted by skygunner41
Seriously you want to consider Mc Duffie fact....a factual fact....

Seriously, you don't want to accept fact in comics.

skygunner41
Seriously, you don't want to accept fact in comics.

So Surfer armbar should be used after all Mc Duffie write it and a couple very interesting Mc Duffie fact also plausible to use.It really what you said.

nij-ayias
So Surfer armbar should be used after all Mc Duffie write it and a couple very interesting Mc Duffie fact also plausible to use.It really what you said.

My point is, the 81 billion tons moon busting is very different to his Saturn's small dead moon cutting before.

Reasons:

1.) the shadow moon has clear information of it's mass.

2.) the mass of Saturn's dead moon was unknown to any of us.

3.) Modern-Superman had never withstand a point blank range of 81 billion tons(or higher) planet explosion without getting knocked out. Take note, Superman inside a 81 billion tons(or higher) planet explosion. So, don't waste time showing me Superman outside the planet explosion and was not knocked out. Let me repeat, inside the planet explosion just like what happened in Justice League of America 30.

skygunner41
My point is, the 81 billion tons moon busting is very different to his Saturn's small dead moon cutting before.

Reasons:

3.) Modern-Superman had never withstand a point blank range of 81 billion tons(or higher) planet explosion without getting knocked out. Take note, Superman inside a 81 billion tons(or higher) planet explosion. So, don't waste time showing me Superman outside the planet explosion and was not knocked out. Let me repeat, inside the planet explosion just like what happened in Justice League of America 30.

Inside .... He rammed through shadow moon with unknown type of energy that created that moon .. it could be magic or something else..that change the property of moon overall toughness.

Raoul

Reasons:

what about the brainiac arc supernova + planet?

nij-ayias
Inside .... He rammed through shadow moon with unknown type of energy that created that moon .. it could be magic or something else..that change the property of moon overall toughness.

Where did you get that? It was stated in the comics that the real problem in the shadow moon were it's 81 billion tons mass and it's impact speed on earth and not on it's property. Again, it was stated and Icon was there and he knew that property(but wasn't stated what kind), also Icon didn't say anything about it's property being super ultra dangerous.

nij-ayias
Originally posted by Raoul
what about the brainiac arc supernova + planet?

Please read my statement, everybody here knew that Supes can withstand a supernova, but can Supes withstand a supernova without getting knock out?

skygunner41
Where did you get that? It was stated in the comics that the real problem in the shadow moon were it's 81 billion tons mass and it's impact speed on earth and not on it's property. Again, it was stated and Icon was there and he knew that property(but wasn't stated what kind), also Icon didn't say anything about it's property being super ultra dangerous.

That the problem...we don't know what kind of energy or properties created that shadow moon, or is it similar to our moon?.
BTW Supes destroy Saturn when fly faster than light speed and this shadow moon his does not.

nij-ayias
That the problem...we don't know what kind of energy or properties created that shadow moon, or is it similar to our moon?.
BTW Supes destroy Saturn when fly faster than light speed and this shadow moon his does not.

Again, Icon knew the property but the main problem is it's mass and impact speed on earth, it was stated. Again, nothing was stated about the property of the shadow moon being dangerous. So, quit whining about the property that was not the serious issue or not a serious problem.

Shadow Moon's Mass = 81 billion tons

Mass of Saturn's small dead moon = no one knows or unknown mass.

Do I have to repeat? Please read it, please. And Super didn't fly faster than light is because he needs all the mass he can gain mass from relativity to completely destroy the shadow moon and prevent any impact on Earth.

SHOW ME WHERE IT WAS STATED THAT THE PROPERTY OF THE SHADOW MOON IS THE REAL PROBLEM AND NOT IT'S MASS AND SPEED. ACCORDING TO JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 30:

PROPERTY OF THE SHADOW MOON = NOT STATED AS A PROBLEM

MASS AND SPEED OF THE SHADOW MOON = STATED IN THE COMICS AS A BIG PROBLEM

Raoul
Please read my statement, everybody here knew that Supes can withstand a supernova, but can Supes withstand a supernova without getting knock out?

it was a supernova and a planet exploding. if he'd get knocked out by a moon exploding, an exploding planet and supernova should severely injure him. it didnt.

nij-ayias
it was a supernova and a planet exploding. if he'd get knocked out by a moon exploding, an exploding planet and supernova should severely injure him. it didnt.

The main point here is, from moon busting to supernova, it can knock out Superman but cannot kill him. Did you get my point? This isn't about invulnerability but getting knocked out. In Justice League of America 30, it was pretty clear that Supes was knocked out by a point blank range 81 billion tons explosion.

Raoul
The main point here is, from moon busting to supernova, it can knock out Superman but cannot kill him. Did you get my point? This isn't about invulnerability but getting knocked out. In Justice League of America 30, it was pretty clear that Supes was knocked out by a point blank range 81 billion tons explosion.

amazing how you keep running back to one low showing rather than trying to come up with other instances to back it up...

nij-ayias
amazing how you keep running back to one low showing rather than trying to come up with other instances to back it up...

Are you telling that the only thing that can knock out Supes is supernova? That's just playing blind, like I said before, show me any scan where Supes was inside an 81 billion tons planet explosion or higher without getting knocked out. I'm sure you you wouldn't find any. Take note, don't bother showing scans where Supes was outside a planet buster, he should be inside or ground zero.

Raoul
Are you telling that the only thing that can knock out Supes is supernova? That's just playing blind, like I said before, show me any scan where Supes was inside an 81 billion tons planet explosion or higher without getting knocked out. I'm sure you you wouldn't find any. Take note, don't bother showing scans where Supes was outside a planet buster, he should be inside or ground zero.

he was standing on the planet when it was hit by the supernova.

81 billion tons isn't even the size of our moon, and superman regularly takes punches from people that can destory planets.

it is a low showing when you take in to account that he's taken worse and been relatively fine.

nij-ayias
he was standing on the planet when it was hit by the supernova.

FIRST OF ALL, TAKE NOTE THE WORD KNOCK OUT.

Did I say something that he can't? Besides he was knocked out, that's my point here. What I want you to show me is Superman standing inside a 81 billion tons planet buster without getting knocked out.

81 billion tons isn't even the size of our moon, and superman regularly takes punches from people that can destory planets.

81 billion tons is a mass not size, besides it's a mass of the shadow moon OR DC UNIVERSE MOON AND NOT OUR MOON. Yes, Superman took punches from people that can destroy small planets and was knocked out. Also, small planet is classified as planetoid or asteroid. And what is the mass of that small planets that they can destroy? Is it close to 81 billion tons? It's unknown, it's not even close to the mass of planet earth because they should've stated if it is.

it is a low showing when you take in to account that he's taken worse and been relatively fine.

What are you talking about? It wasn't a low showing because as I've stated before, Superman can be knock out from 81 billion tons planet busting to Supernova.

THE MAIN POINT HERE IS, SURVIVING A SUPERNOVA IN A KNOCK OUT CONDITION DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEANS THAT HE CAN TOOK AN 81 BILLION TONS PLANET BUSTER WITHOUT GETTING KNOCK OUT. TAKE NOTE THE WORD KNOCK OUT PLEASE.

KNOCK OUT = LOSE

KingD19
Usually when you're knocked out, the guy who knocked you out, is considered the winner of the fight. I looked it up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.