Whos the best player in every sport?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

teampac08
Basketball: Kobe Bryant
Soccer: Ronaldinho
Football: Tomlinson
Baseball: Pujols
Tennis: Federer
Golf: Tiger Woods
Boxing: Mayweather Jr./Manny Pacquiao

Sorry guys but professional wrestling isnt a real sport. WWE is entertainment. Real sports are not scripted.

The_Mayor
Soccer: Ronaldinho--cause I don't know any others
Baseball: David Ortiz
Boxing: Mayweather Jr.

Lord Evolution
Baseball: A-Rod

Basketball: Kobe

Football: Peyton Manning

Golf: Woods

MTennis: Federer

WTennis: S. Williams

forumcrew
Originally posted by teampac08

Sorry guys but professional wrestling isnt a real sport. WWE is entertainment. Real sports are not scripted.

Peyton Manning over LT

The rest is good, and the guy who said Ortiz? come on youd have to play defense to be considered the absolute best. And if you dont play any defense youd have to be far and away the best offensive player in the entire league, which he isnt.

-hh-
no one mentions hockey? or mma?

Hockey: Jaromir Jagr
Mixed Martial Arts: Fedor Emelianenko

The_Mayor
Originally posted by forumcrew
Peyton Manning over LT

The rest is good, and the guy who said Ortiz? come on youd have to play defense to be considered the absolute best. And if you dont play any defense youd have to be far and away the best offensive player in the entire league, which he isnt.

I did, I was specifically talking about offense. He is the most feared hitter, most clutch, and his defense is pretty good too, he just has bad stamina.

Smasandian
Pujols is the most feared hitter in the league.

And if Ortiz is considered an better hitter than Pujols, its very very very slight, and Ortiz is an DH, hardly worth best player.

Baseball - Pujols (he will destroy Bond's/Aarons record)
Hockey - Crosby
Football - Manning
Basketball - Nash.......hahaha, actually Kobe
Tennis - who else but Federer
Golf - Woods
Soccer - Ronaldinho

The_Mayor
Pujols MAY break the record, but A-rod, eventually will......sadly.

forumcrew
yea ortiz only being a DH takes him out of best "player" contention. He would have to be a .350, 50HR, 150 RBI, 30SB guy to be able to be a DH and be the best player.

Smasandian
Originally posted by The_Mayor
Pujols MAY break the record, but A-rod, eventually will......sadly.

True, you cant predict whats going to happen, but at the age of 26 and he already has 250 HR's. That's unbelievable.

The_Mayor
Exactly

ragesRemorse

Wheres the hockey ass hole mad

the only sport that matters and you leave it out

teampac08
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Wheres the hockey ass hole mad

the only sport that matters and you leave it out

Me, ass hole? **** you! Hockey is bullshit. There's a reason no one watches it here.

Lord Evolution
I know I don't give a shit about it. But that is just me!

Smasandian
Understandable. Your from LA, but in Eastern cities, hockey is pretty big.

ragesRemorse
Hockey is bullshit.

yeah tennis and golf really showcase the peak physical conditioning of athletes while portraying what it means to function as a team. Darts is as much of a sport as that Bullshit. Californians... laughing out loud

teampac08
yeah tennis and golf really showcase the peak physical conditioning of athletes while portraying what it means to function as a team. Darts is as much of a sport as that Bullshit. Californians... laughing out loud

Hockey the only sport that matters? Now that's a real laugh. laughing
Who cares about hockey. Barely anyone watches it. Tennis and golf may not be as physical yet it gets more exposure. You wanna know why? Cause no one gives a shit about hockey, plain and simple.

DanZeke25
I'll take Hockey EASILY over tennis, golf, and Soccer, but that's it. Otherwise, the only time I watch it is when the Flyers are in the playoffs.

Lord Evolution
I don't care for Soccer and I rarely watch Tennis but I like watching matches unlike Hockey and Soccer. Golf is only enjoyable when it is a Major and Woods is playing.

The_Mayor
Don't watch any of the following.

ragesRemorse
Hockey the only sport that matters? Now that's a real laugh. laughing
Who cares about hockey. Barely anyone watches it. Tennis and golf may not be as physical yet it gets more exposure. You wanna know why? Cause no one gives a shit about hockey, plain and simple.

While it is true that hockey doesnt have the masses of fans of football, baseball or basketball. Aside from soccer hockey has the most loyal fan following out there. Dont think people dont care about hockey...Show me a statistic poll and ill show you a fan that will break your face and buy you beer afterwards.

Unlike most other Sports Hockey is an expereince the needs to have been lived to understand. Most Hockey fans are only fans having gone to a game. No 3 hour pregame shows, No 3 hour post game shows and thats not because people dont care, thats because everyone gave everything they had during the game. Fast, furious and simple. One of the few sports left where the game isnt dulled down and determined by the refs. No Bitching three days after a bad call, because in hockey a bad call doesnt determine a game.

So until hockey games stop selling out on a consistent basis, take your no one cares bullshit to a silly rich aristocratic sport like golf and tennis.

teampac08
While it is true that hockey doesnt have the masses of fans of football, baseball or basketball. Aside from soccer hockey has the most loyal fan following out there. Dont think people dont care about hockey...Show me a statistic poll and ill show you a fan that will break your face and buy you beer afterwards.

Unlike most other Sports Hockey is an expereince the needs to have been lived to understand. Most Hockey fans are only fans having gone to a game. No 3 hour pregame shows, No 3 hour post game shows and thats not because people dont care, thats because everyone gave everything they had during the game. Fast, furious and simple. One of the few sports left where the game isnt dulled down and determined by the refs. No Bitching three days after a bad call, because in hockey a bad call doesnt determine a game.

So until hockey games stop selling out on a consistent basis, take your no one cares bullshit to a silly rich aristocratic sport like golf and tennis.

Actually, if you ask me I couldnt care less about golf and tennis as well, but I also couldnt care less about hockey. Basketball and boxing also have a more loyal fanbase than hockey. Whole countries follow a national team or player in basketball and an individual boxer may carry a whole country's ambitions as well. I choose to not care about hockey, and if you're offended you can take your bullshit to another thread that has sympathy for hockey.

Smasandian
Actually, if you ask me I couldnt care less about golf and tennis as well, but I also couldnt care less about hockey. Basketball and boxing also have a more loyal fanbase than hockey. Whole countries follow a national team or player in basketball and an individual boxer may carry a whole country's ambitions as well. I choose to not care about hockey, and if you're offended you can take your bullshit to another thread that has sympathy for hockey.

Thanks for being completly shortsighted.

You dont like hockey. That's cool, but to assume that an national hockey team doesnt get followed its complete bullshit, and such an ridicolous statement.

For instance, one of biggest upsets in US history that involves a team is the 1980 Olympic gold medal game where you guys beat the Russians to win your last gold medal.

Ever heared of the Canada Cup on where the Russians played the Canadians. You think nonbody cared about that game?

I think personally that international hockey is alot better in terms of entertainment and being competitive than international basketball will ever be. I also think people care more about international hockey than basekball.

But that's just me because I live in Canada and is around hockey.

teampac08
Originally posted by Smasandian
Thanks for being completly shortsighted.

You dont like hockey. That's cool, but to assume that an national hockey team doesnt get followed its complete bullshit, and such an ridicolous statement.

For instance, one of biggest upsets in US history that involves a team is the 1980 Olympic gold medal game where you guys beat the Russians to win your last gold medal.

Ever heared of the Canada Cup on where the Russians played the Canadians. You think nonbody cared about that game?

I think personally that international hockey is alot better in terms of entertainment and being competitive than international basketball will ever be. It's laughable to think people care more about international basketball than hockey.

I dont like hockey, that's my choice. I think you're missing the main points I'm arguing though. The first, was that someone said hockey is the only sport that matters, which is obviously wrong. The second point I argued was that it does not have much exposure or fans here in the U.S. when compared to say basketball or football, which is true. And third, there are other sports that have more intense loyal fanbases out there. You're reply is laughable because you actually think that international hockey is cared more than international basketball. Basketball is the biggest sport after soccer globally. Its popularity reaches throughout the world. So it's pretty safe to say that people care more about international basketball than hockey. Only place I'd say where hockey is more cared about than basketball is Canada, which is where I'm assuming you come from. Oh wait, you do come from there. I'd also like to point out that Canada's most known athlete is Steve Nash, a BASKETBALL player.

ragesRemorse

I'd also like to point out that Canada's most known athlete is Steve Nash, a BASKETBALL player.

Wrong...WAYNE GRETZKY buddy...who the fcuk is this nash person you speak of?

I was shitting on you because you diddnt include hockey in a sprts forum, you obviously dont follow my posts, so you are not aware of sarcasm, but thats what my reply of hockey being the only sport that matters meant.

As far as hockey NOT having one of the most loyal fanbases, I think you have to be a Hockey fan to truly understand how loyal the hockey fans are here in America. Unlike the other dominant sports here in America Hockey doesnt generate fans on a consistant basis. The majority of Hockey fans Are the same fans that have been supporting the Sport over the years. Whenever Hockey fans drop off from the sport, the sprt feels it. Where as in football or baseball casual fans become hardcore followers through just watching it on television. When football loses a portion of fans it goes unkown because there are just as many newcomers in their place.
Hockey is much like boxing and soccer in the sense that you have to be at the event to get to full force of the sport. Having been a football and fight fan in the states, and attending those events, i have never been surrounded by more loyal fans than Hockey, this comes from personal observations, could care less about international bullshit. And samus did kind of negate your entire argument on Hockey's international draw with pointing out the 1980's olympic games. Renowned as the greatest upset in sports history by many

teampac08
Wrong...WAYNE GRETZKY buddy...who the fcuk is this nash person you speak of?

I was shitting on you because you diddnt include hockey in a sprts forum, you obviously dont follow my posts, so you are not aware of sarcasm, but thats what my reply of hockey being the only sport that matters meant.

As far as hockey NOT having one of the most loyal fanbases, I think you have to be a Hockey fan to truly understand how loyal the hockey fans are here in America. Unlike the other dominant sports here in America Hockey doesnt generate fans on a consistant basis. The majority of Hockey fans Are the same fans that have been supporting the Sport over the years. Whenever Hockey fans drop off from the sport, the sprt feels it. Where as in football or baseball casual fans become hardcore followers through just watching it on television. When football loses a portion of fans it goes unkown because there are just as many newcomers in their place.
Hockey is much like boxing and soccer in the sense that you have to be at the event to get to full force of the sport. Having been a football and fight fan in the states, and attending those events, i have never been surrounded by more loyal fans than Hockey, this comes from personal observations, could care less about international bullshit. And samus did kind of negate your entire argument on Hockey's international draw with pointing out the 1980's olympic games. Renowned as the greatest upset in sports history by many

I was talking about an athlete that currently plays. He's won the Canadian athlete of the year award, I believe. If you dont believe me you can type it up on google or something. Not to mention if you dont know Steve Nash than that's just ridiculous. Never did I say that they have a loyal fanbase, I'm saying that no one really cares about hockey in general when compared to other sports here in the U.S. I'm also arguing that there are other sports with intense loyal fanbases that equal or surpass hockey's. And how are you comparing hockey's international draw to basketball's using just one event in the history of sports? Usually we give attention to an underdog story here. Greco-Roman wrestling isnt popular here either but it got a lot of attention when Rulon Gardner beat Alexander Karelin in the 2000 summer olympics. Whether you like to admit it or not, basketball is bigger than hockey internationally. It is second only to soccer, so get over it.

Smasandian
I'm addressing your third point on saying that hockey doesnt have an loyal fanbase, or it's second compared to baseketball in terms of international play.

I dont care if you dont like hockey. Understandable, you live in an hot climate, why would you like hockey. Second, I dont really care if hockey isnt as popular as baseketball or other sports. It isnt.

Your shortsighted. You have the fientest idea about hockey in general. You assume Nash is the most known athlete in Canada because he won the award of the best athlete in Canada. How does that make him the most known? So basically, I could say that Nash is the most known basketball figure in the past two years because he won the MVP twice?

Another shortsighteness is saying that nonbody cares about hockey. Obviously, somebody does because well, hate to say, if nonbody cared, we wouldnt have olympic hockey, world hockey tournment, the world junior hockey tournment, the old canada cup, the world cup of hockey, ECHL, American hockey league and the NHL. Also, go to Chicago, Boston, New York and other eastern cities and ask if nonbody cares about hockey, and you'll see that its not true.

I ask you one question....do people prefer NBA basketball, or international basketball? I think people prefer NBA. Case in point, on this forum, people rarely mentioned the World Championship of basketball, while still talking about the offseason of the NBA. In hockey, generally every fan would say that they prefer international hockey. Heck, some of the greatest moments in the history of the sport is Canada Cup of 72, and 87, and the the gold medal game of 2004. Those are biggest games. The reason is because basketball has only became competitive in 5-6 years, while hockey has been competitive since the early 60's.

And really, you think the most known athlete in Canada is Steve Nash...hah, thats funny, you dont know anything about Canada. Gretzky, Lumieux, Crosby?

teampac08
I'm addressing your third point on saying that hockey doesnt have an loyal fanbase, or it's second compared to baseketball in terms of international play.

I dont care if you dont like hockey. Understandable, you live in an hot climate, why would you like hockey. Second, I dont really care if hockey isnt as popular as baseketball or other sports. It isnt.

Your shortsighted. You have the fientest idea about hockey in general. You assume Nash is the most known athlete in Canada because he won the award of the best athlete in Canada. How does that make him the most known? So basically, I could say that Nash is the most known basketball figure in the past two years because he won the MVP twice?

Another shortsighteness is saying that nonbody cares about hockey. Obviously, somebody does because well, hate to say, if nonbody cared, we wouldnt have olympic hockey, world hockey tournment, the world junior hockey tournment, the old canada cup, the world cup of hockey, ECHL, American hockey league and the NHL. Also, go to Chicago, Boston, New York and other eastern cities and ask if nonbody cares about hockey, and you'll see that its not true.

I ask you one question....do people prefer NBA basketball, or international basketball? I think people prefer NBA. Case in point, on this forum, people rarely mentioned the World Championship of basketball, while still talking about the offseason of the NBA. In hockey, generally every fan would say that they prefer international hockey. Heck, some of the greatest moments in the history of the sport is Canada Cup of 72, and 87, and the the gold medal game of 2004. Those are biggest games. The reason is because basketball has only became competitive in 5-6 years, while hockey has been competitive since the early 60's.

And really, you think the most known athlete in Canada is Steve Nash...hah, thats funny, you dont know anything about Canada. Gretzky, Lumieux, Crosby?

If I'm shortsided, then you're blind. Read my posts more clearly buddy. I said Nash is the most known Canadian athlete, I didnt specifically say to Canada though. What I mean by this is that Nash is the most known Canadian athlete internationally. Of course he isnt the most famous Canadian athlete in Canada because he doesnt play their favorite sport, which I'm guessing is hockey. I also said compared to sports like basketball and football here in the U.S. no one cares about hockey. I might've exaggerated my view on hockey but I'm referring to how it just isnt considered a premiere sport here in the U.S. The top three (in no particular order) are football, basketball, and baseball. And when did I say that they dont have a loyal fanbase? I already said that they do but other sports either have just as intense a loyal fanbase or maybe even more. Basketball has a larger fanbase, obviously, but how do you know that hockey's is more loyal? There are a ton of fans out there who breathe and live basketball. So there's no way to say who's more loyal. You just contradicted your self too. You say that hockey is not as popular as basketball in terms of sports but it is apparently bigger internationally. How is that possible? Anyway, basketball has a bigger following in more countries. It's athletes are more known in other countries as well. It's also played in more countries. Those reasons translate to basketball being a bigger sport globally.

Smasandian
I already know hockey isnt the premier sport, outside of probably some major eastern cities in the States.

But I still think hockey is still bigger internationally. Sure, more countries play basketball, but does that really mean people care?

See an international hockey game, and its one of the best things to watch if your fan because so competitive, watch an international basketball game and one of the worst things to watch because its not competitive at all.

botankus
Originally posted by -hh-
no one mentions hockey? or mma?

Hockey: Jaromir Jagr
Mixed Martial Arts: Fedor Emelianenko

Thanks a lot, buddy, for turning the thread into a whiny b*tchfest instead of letting it sift off the first page of this forum and receive a well-deserved, disintigrating death.

Smasandian
Oh be quiet you!!!!

Steelers suck balls. Who the hell did they draft... a guy name Timmons...might as well he be called Cininamon.

botankus
Ooh, on the contrary. Stillers traded up for the one and only Daniel Sepulveda! Not only is he a punter, he now owns the title of League's Best Last Name, and he also will make the late, great Reggie Roby come back to life to try to prove he belongs in the top 3 of all time. stick out tongue

-hh-
Understandable. Your from LA, but in Eastern cities, hockey is pretty big.

hockey is pretty big in LA too. i know here in Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, hockey is loved.

-hh-
Originally posted by botankus
Thanks a lot, buddy, for turning the thread into a whiny b*tchfest instead of letting it sift off the first page of this forum and receive a well-deserved, disintigrating death. grow up. the two weren't mentioned, so i mentioned it.

Lord Evolution
hockey is pretty big in LA too. i know here in Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, hockey is loved.

Not really. LA is a basketball city, then comes baseball, college sports, then womans basketball then maybe hockey.

teampac08
I already know hockey isnt the premier sport, outside of probably some major eastern cities in the States.

But I still think hockey is still bigger internationally. Sure, more countries play basketball, but does that really mean people care?

See an international hockey game, and its one of the best things to watch if your fan because so competitive, watch an international basketball game and one of the worst things to watch because its not competitive at all.

There you go again contradicting yourself. If more people follow and play basketball internationally, then it its bigger internationally. It is known in more countries than hockey. What you're referring to is the passion between fans. Which there is no way to measure since passion differs from person to person. Geez, I cant believe you're arguing that hockey is bigger than basketball. Only sport bigger than basketball globally is soccer. And how is basketball not competitive internationally? The U.S. didnt win the Olympics or the world championships and there are more and more star players coming from different countries entering the NBA. Basketball is starting to evolve and become even more competitive internationally.

Smasandian
Originally posted by botankus
Ooh, on the contrary. Stillers traded up for the one and only Daniel Sepulveda! Not only is he a punter, he now owns the title of League's Best Last Name, and he also will make the late, great Reggie Roby come back to life to try to prove he belongs in the top 3 of all time. stick out tongue

I got nothign after that....wow, what a name.

http://www.draftseason.com/Bestnames

My favourite is Snydric Steptoe.
Or JJ Hair....look at that picture.

forumcrew
#10 is a Seahawk now

Melvin Bullitt DB, Texas A&M --- I read that as Melvin Bull-*** at first. I was like we have a winner!

-hh-
Originally posted by Lord Evolution
Not really. LA is a basketball city, then comes baseball, college sports, then womans basketball then maybe hockey. im in LA. it's basketball city for sure, but like i said, Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena area are big on hockey.

Bicnarok

ragesRemorse
I'm also arguing that there are other sports with intense loyal fanbases that equal or surpass hockey's. And how are you comparing hockey's international draw to basketball's using just one event in the history of sports? U Whether you like to admit it or not, basketball is bigger than hockey internationally. It is second only to soccer, so get over it.

Iwasnt arguing on the point that basketball has a bigger draw than hockey, and for ****s sake buddy learn sarcasm. My last remark was sacrcastic.
However, about the loyalty in hockey as compared to other sports in the US. Hockey is the only sport that cant afford to lose its already established fans. Hockey has one of the slightest increases in fan grossings each year. This however isnt to say that no one cares, because most Hockey fans follow the sport their entire lives. where in basketball, football, and baseball there are as many casual fans as diehard fans. These three sports experience declines in fan folowings all the time, but is rarely noticed because there are as many coming in as there are going out. Most hockey fans are die hard or are die hard fans in training. Hockey is a cult sport if ther ever were one in america.

There is no right or wrong answer when saying what sport has the most loyal fan base because you are always going to say that your favorite sport has the most loyal following, but speaking financially, No sport relies more on its fans than hockey because there are not as many. Football basketball and baseball make nearly as much money from the t.v fans as the ticket fans. Hockey makes primarily all of its revenue from ticketed fans. This is because Most hockey fans are only fans after having actually gone to a game.

ragesRemorse

yeah, hoceky is a very personal sport. Its hard to find a fan following outside of the actual town where the games are palyed.

I forgot to give my candidate for hoceky....Mario Lemuiex
yzerman
Crosby, BABY...that man is a prodigy

Admiral Akbar
yeah, hoceky is a very personal sport. Its hard to find a fan following outside of the actual town where the games are palyed.

yzerman
Crosby, BABY...that man is a prodigy

Don't like Crosby. Never have..There's something about him that doesn't click with me.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Don't like Crosby. Never have..There's something about him that doesn't click with me.

really...like what? Maybe its just because i live in pittsburgh and it is as though we are getting a new era of greatness after mario, its even cooler that MArio was the one who brought him here. Dude lives with Mario too. However, its probably because he scores with such style like few others in the league

-hh-

yzerman
Crosby, BABY...that man is a prodigy i dont like Crosby. he's too cocky and his teammates have problems with him from what i hear.

regardless, the kid has skills.

Smasandian
Meh, people keep on forgetting that he is barely 20.

Most hockey players rarely play in the NHL until thier 22 or so.

So he is cocky. The guy is the best player in the league, and at the age of 19 (I think), is already the leader in scoring and is the fastest player to start of thier career to get 200 points. I think he can be cocky.

He needs to put down a couple of pegs, but I think that will happen in time. Remember, Lumieux was a cocky ***** and wasnt a good teammate until he got older.

teampac08
Iwasnt arguing on the point that basketball has a bigger draw than hockey, and for ****s sake buddy learn sarcasm. My last remark was sacrcastic.
However, about the loyalty in hockey as compared to other sports in the US. Hockey is the only sport that cant afford to lose its already established fans. Hockey has one of the slightest increases in fan grossings each year. This however isnt to say that no one cares, because most Hockey fans follow the sport their entire lives. where in basketball, football, and baseball there are as many casual fans as diehard fans. These three sports experience declines in fan folowings all the time, but is rarely noticed because there are as many coming in as there are going out. Most hockey fans are die hard or are die hard fans in training. Hockey is a cult sport if ther ever were one in america.

There is no right or wrong answer when saying what sport has the most loyal fan base because you are always going to say that your favorite sport has the most loyal following, but speaking financially, No sport relies more on its fans than hockey because there are not as many. Football basketball and baseball make nearly as much money from the t.v fans as the ticket fans. Hockey makes primarily all of its revenue from ticketed fans. This is because Most hockey fans are only fans after having actually gone to a game.

If you're not arguing about hockey's international drawing then why would you support Smasandian bringing up the 1980 Olympics? Dont make me quote you on your last reply because you did indirectly bring it up. And no need to continue talking about hockey's fanbase since I already stated that there is no way to claim who has the more loyal fanbase and you've confirmed it yourself.

BackFire
Me, ass hole? **** you! Hockey is bullshit. There's a reason no one watches it here.

Because they're to busy watching the homoerotic sport that is American Football. Some guy bends over, some other guy gets right behind him, puts his arms underneath his ass, and the grabs a pointy ball.

Or watching grass grow (Golf)

Or watching grass grow with some people idley standing around waiting for something to happen for minutes on end while the batter fools with his batters glove (Baseball).

Hockey's the shit.

The only sport I really follow is hockey, so that's really the only one I'm at liberty to discuss when it comes to quality players.

I think the best hockey player is Luongo. The man singlehandedly carried his team into the round two of the playoffs. Pretty amazing.

ragesRemorse
If you're not arguing about hockey's international drawing then why would you support Smasandian bringing up the 1980 Olympics? Dont make me quote you on your last reply because you did indirectly bring it up. And no need to continue talking about hockey's fanbase since I already stated that there is no way to claim who has the more loyal fanbase and you've confirmed it yourself.

well, im glad you have comprehension, but am dissapointed in your lack of spotting sarcasm.

good job

Healing Artisan
Originally posted by BackFire
\
I think the best hockey player is Luongo. The man singlehandedly carried his team into the round two of the playoffs. Pretty amazing.

good point. you cant count Lungo out.

Smasandian
Yeah, true. Luongo is pretty damn good.

Backfire, you forgot that that the guy touches the other guys inner theigh to recieve the ball.

alic88
These are all based on personal opinions, and I watch each of these sports with a lot of passion, except maybe field hockey.

Football- Kaka
American Football- Manning
NBA- Steve Nash
Cricket- Ricky Ponting
Formula 1- Kimi Raikkonen
Baseball- Carlos Lee
Field Hocky- Sohail Abbas

teampac08
well, im glad you have comprehension, but am dissapointed in your lack of spotting sarcasm.

good job

And I'm disappointed that you keep bringing up hockey' fanbase. Not to mention I'm also disappointed at the fact that you're delusional enough to think that hockey has a bigger international following, whether you brought up that point directly or not.

teampac08
Originally posted by BackFire
Because they're to busy watching the homoerotic sport that is American Football. Some guy bends over, some other guy gets right behind him, puts his arms underneath his ass, and the grabs a pointy ball.

Or watching grass grow (Golf)

Or watching grass grow with some people idley standing around waiting for something to happen for minutes on end while the batter fools with his batters glove (Baseball).

Hockey's the shit.

The only sport I really follow is hockey, so that's really the only one I'm at liberty to discuss when it comes to quality players.

Well at least football doesnt rely on people fighting each other like hockey. Only time when hockey is even slightly interesting is when the players brawl. Even then, it's still a boring ass sport. No one cares about men skating on ice who try to be tough by fighting every now and then. And who the **** is Luongo? That shows the appeal of hockey to the casual sports fan. No one outside of a hockey fan would know who the **** this guy is.

Admiral Akbar
Meh, people keep on forgetting that he is barely 20.

Most hockey players rarely play in the NHL until thier 22 or so.

So he is cocky. The guy is the best player in the league, and at the age of 19 (I think), is already the leader in scoring and is the fastest player to start of thier career to get 200 points. I think he can be cocky.

He needs to put down a couple of pegs, but I think that will happen in time. Remember, Lumieux was a cocky ***** and wasnt a good teammate until he got older.

Yeah, he leads in points not scoring. There were plenty of people that had more goals than Crosby.
Maybe Crosby will mature up to become a better player, but there are people just as talented as him with just as much potential that act more mature as younger hockey players.

Healing Artisan
And I'm disappointed that you keep bringing up hockey' fanbase. Not to mention I'm also disappointed at the fact that you're delusional enough to think that hockey has a bigger international following, whether you brought up that point directly or not.

hockey is much bigger in Russia, Canada and most of Europe than in the United States.

tons of international teams train to compete in tournaments, and this is one of the bigger international organizations.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/

Healing Artisan
Yeah, he leads in points not scoring. There were plenty of people that had more goals than Crosby.
Maybe Crosby will mature up to become a better player, but there are people just as talented as him with just as much potential that act more mature as younger hockey players.

i think he will definitley mature and eventually be considered a legendary player.

Admiral Akbar
Well at least football doesnt rely on people fighting each other like hockey. Only time when hockey is even slightly interesting is when the players brawl. Even then, it's still a boring ass sport. No one cares about men skating on ice who try to be tough by fighting every now and then. And who the **** is Luongo? That shows the appeal of hockey to the casual sports fan. No one outside of a hockey fan would know who the **** this guy is.

First of all fighting is not the focal point of the sport. Second of all Hockey is much more suspenseful and far more entertaining. Go to a hockey game and you will see what I mean. I've been to a Basketball game and Football game and fell asleep in both.

Smasandian

Yeah right.

People more talented than him at that young age?

Who? And who has more potential than Crosby, please elborate because correct me if I'm wrong but what other teenage has scored the most amount of points in the league? Or heck, who has more points than him right now?

Name me one person who has more talent than him, and more importantly, who has more potential to become an great hockey player than him?

If you say Ovechkin, I'm seriously going to hit you.

Healing Artisan
Crosby is easily the player that has the most potential for a great future.

Frolov is in my opinion another player that will get better and better.

Smasandian
Easily...not question.

I think he will become better than Lumieux and Gretzky when he is done in the league if he doesnt get injured or kills somebody in a car.

I also think that being in this league now adds even more credibility to Crosby because I hate to say it, Gretzky had it easier in the earlier 80's while Lumieux during the prime of his career had some of the worst defensive hockey ever played.

BackFire

I like how this post is pointless.

Makes for good discussion.

Hockey doesn't rely on fighting either. Which you would know if you've watched a hockey game. Fights don't occur all that often.

The game itself is very fast paced, always something going on. As opposed to bursts of action like in Football, followed by massive downtine.

And it matters that casual sports fans don't know who a player is. It also matters that hockey isn't popular in America, because popularity = quality. Just like you = smart.

See that? Both statements were wrong. Hope it didn't go over your head.

wuTa
Hockey is one of the best sports to watch in person, it has such in intimate vibe to it, plus it is twice as excited in person than it is on TV. But I've lost alot of interest in the sport since the strike.

Nellinator
Easily...not question.

I think he will become better than Lumieux and Gretzky when he is done in the league if he doesnt get injured or kills somebody in a car.

I also think that being in this league now adds even more credibility to Crosby because I hate to say it, Gretzky had it easier in the earlier 80's while Lumieux during the prime of his career had some of the worst defensive hockey ever played. The thing is that Lemieus, unlike Gretzky, could still shred defenses even when they were trapping.

2000-1 Lemieux got 76 points in 43 games. 2002-3 he got 91 points in 67 games. If was in good health in that part of his career he would still have dominated while Gretzky would have become a great player, but far from the best. That is why Lemieux is the best player (or at least the most talented) to ever live imo.

Bobby Orr would be up there too. Just compare him to the second best defenseman of his time (Brad Park). No one else has been that much better than everybody for that long.

Anyways:
Hockey - Mario Lemieux
Football (soccer) - Pele
Baseball - Babe Ruth
Basketball - Michael Jordan
American Football - haven't decided yet

Admiral Akbar
Yeah right.

People more talented than him at that young age?

Who? And who has more potential than Crosby, please elborate because correct me if I'm wrong but what other teenage has scored the most amount of points in the league? Or heck, who has more points than him right now?

Name me one person who has more talent than him, and more importantly, who has more potential to become an great hockey player than him?

If you say Ovechkin, I'm seriously going to hit you.

Err, well people that have the potential to be more talented. As of this moment he is the most talented youngster but that, of course, can change with new people like Staal, and Malkin, ect...

There is more to being a good hockey player than just getting a ton of points. As you can see, his "excellent" point record and talent did not get him far in the playoffs.

Ovechkin.

Smasandian
Yeah, he didnt go far into the playoffs, but how good was the team in the past 2 years?

Oh wait a minute, dead last. So your saying a guy who resurrected an franchise from one of the worst teams in the league to the fourth best in the conference isnt a good achievement?

Unlike most young players like Ovechkin, who is still in a bad team.

Staal will be a great player but wont be as good as Crosby and Malkin could be better. But as of right now, Crosby is considered to be one of the best players in the league, and at such a young age, has the most potential.

Admiral Akbar
Yeah, he didnt go far into the playoffs, but how good was the team in the past 2 years?

Oh wait a minute, dead last. So your saying a guy who resurrected an franchise from one of the worst teams in the league to the fourth best in the conference isnt a good achievement?

Unlike most young players like Ovechkin, who is still in a bad team.

Staal will be a great player but wont be as good as Crosby and Malkin could be better. But as of right now, Crosby is considered to be one of the best players in the league, and at such a young age, has the most potential.

You have a point about him resurrecting the franchise, but also note that the coach for the Penguins was nominated best coach of the year. It could very well be his efforts that helped turn the team around to becoming one of the best.

Ushgarak
Sorry, someone tried to call basketball the world's second most popular sport?

Holy geez no.

Something that has to be underatood here is that sports that are popular in the States are not popular globally and vice versa.

Cricket is a bigger sport than basketball can ever dream of being.

Alpha Centauri
Cricket is also a shitter sport than anything can ever dream of being, to be fair.

-AC

Nellinator
It's got to be something like:
Football
Cricket
Basketball
Baseball
Ice Hockey
American Football

I'm not sure where to put rugby and field hockey.

On that ice hockey argument:
Hockey is a major international sport. It is a huge sport in the nothern States, Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Belarus, Latvia, Germany, and Switzerland. And it is growing in popularity in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if basketball is a bigger sport, but not by nearly as much as is being suggested.

chillmeistergen
No rugby would come above baseball definately.

Alpha Centauri
Are we trying to assemble an objective list of popularity here?

-AC

chillmeistergen
I believe that was what Nellinator was trying to do, yes.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Are we trying to assemble an objective list of popularity here?

-AC I'm guessing, but yes. I don't feel like looking for a credible one.

wuTa
Cricket, and the word sport shouldn't even be used in the same sentence unless it goes something like this.

"How can anyone actually consider Cricket a sport?"

Ushgarak
Oddly enough, exactly the same thing a lot of people say about hockey (ice hockey, anyway)

Alpha Centauri
It's stupid to say either, really.

Sportsmen and women don't play their sport for the crowds, it just happens that crowds tune in or turn up, but if we're discussing spectating, I will sit here until the end of time and listen to anyone trying to describe why cricket is worth it, I still won't see it.

Ice hockey is, at least, pacey with a guaranteed result, usually.

-AC

Ushgarak
So has a riot.

Whilst the convo has drifted off into comparitive popularity and seeing as I just made the distinction myself, it should be pointed that that (field) hockey is much more widespread, globally, than ice hockey. Again, American sports don't really tend to penetrate.

I'm really not sure about this basketball thing being so high, either.

Alpha Centauri
I do enjoy riots more than cricket.

-AC

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ushgarak
So has a riot.

Whilst the convo has drifted off into comparitive popularity and seeing as I just made the distinction myself, it should be pointed that that (field) hockey is much more widespread, globally, than ice hockey. Again, American sports don't really tend to penetrate.

I'm really not sure about this basketball thing being so high, either.

I would say that Ice Hockey is more of an Canadian sport and Eastern European sport than American...but I assuming you meant American as in North American and not the US.

But even that, the sport is played in most Eastern European country plus Scandiavian countries as well.

But I also think that the popularity of hockey is based on countries that have freezing weather than of the sport.

Nellinator
I'm fairly certain that ice hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, Russia, Finland, Slovakia, and Sweden. It's pretty close in the Czech Republic too, but they love their football/soccer too.

Smasandian
I wouldnt know of the top of my hand.

Ushgarak
I would say that Ice Hockey is more of an Canadian sport and Eastern European sport than American...but I assuming you meant American as in North American and not the US.

But even that, the sport is played in most Eastern European country plus Scandiavian countries as well.

But I also think that the popularity of hockey is based on countries that have freezing weather than of the sport.

Not denying that ice hockey has spread a bit, but nowhere near as much as (field) hockey.

The very name tells the difference- most the world, including most of the ice hockey playing nations, call the sport played on ice 'ice hockey' and the sport played on grass 'hockey', a distinction the Olympics makes too. Ice Hockey is seen, globally, as a smaller spin-off.

Not that I am judging quality based on popularity. Like whatever the heck you like, and I think I've wached more ice hockey than hockey. Fact still remains though.

Smasandian
I didnt know that.

As a person from North America, I've never heared of field hockey being as popular than ice hockey.

I'll take your word for it.

Jebus reborn
Jesus.

Riverollv
Football- Manning or Tomlinson
Basketball- Nash
Soccer- Ronaldinho... Messi also kicks ass
Tennis- Federer... though Nadal is reaaally really great and he's still very young
Baseball- Pujols
Golf- Woods definitely
Box- Mayweather Jr.
Hockey- Crosby

Bonie
Football(the soccer one) Johan cruijff
Formula 1: Micheal Schumacher
Moto GP : Valatino Rossi
Kickbox: Ernst Hoost
Cycling: Lance Amstrong
Golf: Tigerwoods
Lady's boxing: Ester schouten

Riverollv
Michael has retired...

Bonie
Originally posted by Riverollv
Michael has retired...

So did Armstrong and Cruijff and Hoost and Cruijff. But there we're simply there best in there sport.

zoa
Baseball-A-Rod
Soccer-Buffon
Football-Manning
Hockey-Crosby
Tennis-Federer
Basketball-Kobe
Golf-Woods

Sarcasticool
May I add a few sports inportant to us here down under?:

Cricket: Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Rugby: Daniel Carter (New Zealand)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.