Best Stephen King Adapted Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rockycairns
which do you think is the best Stephen King adapted movie for me it goes like

The Shawshank Redemption - brilliant film with two amazing performances from Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins

The Green Mile - awesome film with several killer underrated performances such as Michael Jeter, Doug Hutchinson and Sam Rockwell

Stand by Me - great film with excellent performances from the young lads especially River Pheonix and Jerry O Connel

Misery - great movie again with an excellent performance from James Caan and most certainly an amazing performance from Kathy Bates

Hearts in Atlantis - severly underrated masterpiece with a wonderful performance from Anthony Hopkins

MildPossession
Dolores Claiborne is one of my all time favourites. The Shining, Misery and Carrie come up tops for me too.

Röland
I thought The Shawshank Redemption, Misery, The Shining, Hearts in Atlantis and Carrie were all great.

The adaptation of his short story/novella The Mist is due out this November. Hopefully it is done right because that is one of my all time favorite King stories.

If you havn't read The Mist, you can find it in one of his short story collections titled, Skeleton Crew. It's a great read.

Evil_Ash
It.

Even thought it hell of alot different from the book, it still was faithful.

And Tim Curry was fantastic.

manorastroman
misery, the shining, carrie, stand by me, the shawshank redemption.

maximum overdrive should get a nomination as the worst.

vintageSW77
SALEMS LOT

a tv movie now on dvd as a movie

BackFire
Shining.

Followed by Shawshank.

Strangelove
The Shining, mostly because it's the only Stephen King adaptation I've read all the way through. But also, it's awesome

doomsday49
the Shining!!!!

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
It.

Even thought it hell of alot different from the book, it still was faithful.

And Tim Curry was fantastic.

Agreed

T.M
Shawshank, Shining, and Green Mile.

Also don't think Cujo has been mentioned.. that was OK.

ragesRemorse
shinning

Storm of the century

hearts in atlantis.

Dreamcatcher (had original ending been used)

Deadzone

boogeyman

and cant forget about the classic creepshow

very hard to choose one out of that list for me, but probably either storm of the century or the shining

Dusty
Shawshank, and The Green Mile.

No contest for me.

doomsday49
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
shinning

Storm of the century

hearts in atlantis.

Dreamcatcher (had original ending been used)

Deadzone

boogeyman

and cant forget about the classic creepshow

very hard to choose one out of that list for me, but probably either storm of the century or the shining

oh yeah Storm of the Century was dope!

Bo-Eee
I can only say Salems Lot ( David Soul) as its the only SK novel i've read in its entirity.

IT I did read most of and was disappointed in what was left out of the series, although it was bloody fantastic to watch in its day. Yes Tim Curry did play a good part, imagine my face when i found out what he looked like in real life and what Id already seen him in!

Been watching the Stand recently - cleared out some of my vids to work and was re watching it. Thats a show that makes u want to read the book - one day.

All things aside, my other half is a Stephen King reader and is a better judge in this thread. Me? I'm an Anne Rice fan and am still yet to see a brilliant adaptation to anything she's written yet. Interview with a vampire has come the closest i guess, but I never liked that book out of the lot of em smile

rockycairns
IT was borrrring

Shining was good

Apt Pupil was ok

Children of the Corn - hey i liked it

chillmeistergen
I liked the Green Mile and The Shining

Röland
Originally posted by Bo-Eee
IT I did read most of and was disappointed in what was left out of the series.

That's why it's not one of my favorites. I had read the book before I saw the TV movie and didn't like that they had left out some of the more important parts of the book.

manorastroman
the movie also left out some of the genuine scares, like the leperous hobo under the house and the vampire-clown that had razor blades for teeth.

=Tired Hiker=
The Running Man was a great action flick for it's time, but the book was way better. I think it should be remade again more like the book since the end in the book was way better.

I'll go with Shawshank.

Röland
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
The Running Man was a great action flick for it's time, but the book was way better. I think it should be remade again more like the book since the end in the book was way better.

I'll go with Shawshank.

The Running Man was an awesome book.

Ever read The Long Walk TH?

manorastroman
long walk is the only stephen king i would consider re-reading at this point. i really like it, despite the flaws.

Solo
Shawshank Redemption

The Shining is pretty mediocre, this coming from a Kubrick fan.

manorastroman
come on, don't be mean. shining is leagues from mediocre, even if it doesn't stand as kubrick's best.

Solo
I know what you mean, may expect too much from Kubrick's work. It just wasn't as exciting as I would've hoped. I'm not a fan of the source material, though, and that's probably my only problem with it.

RedAlertv2
Shawshank was a great movie, although Ive never actually read the book

HellasBloke
For me it'd have to go:

- Shawshank Redemption
- Misery
- Green Mile
- Stand By Me

I can't wait to see the new one that is coming out, I think that one will be great.

rockycairns
they should get The Dark Tower books made

Röland
Originally posted by rockycairns
they should get The Dark Tower books made

If they did it, I'd rather see it as an HBO mini-series, but I really do not want the Dark Tower series to be turned into a movie at all.

masterkit
Misery
Stand By Me(I remember when I first heard it was a book by stephen kign, I was surprised)
Green Mile

Morning_Glory
I liked Christine... but I havent read the book, yet

I liked Shawshank Redemption (movie) a lot better than the book/ short story

rockycairns
Dreamcatcher was very entertaining as a action/fantasy/ thriller movie

=Tired Hiker=

SnakeEyes
The Shawshank Redemption is the best, in my opinion. It's just a great flick.

Second place goes to Stand By Me.

ragesRemorse

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I haven't read that, but a co worker of mine said it was awesome as well, I'll have to check it out.

read rage, its better

Röland
i agree with you on that one. Considering filmakers struggle single works by King, I think a dark towers attempt would be a disaster and probably s one waiting to happen. It will happen eventually, unless King would write the screenplay himself without having it edited much i dont see this prospect ever resulting into quality. Hbo has the money and resources to take on a series of this calibur. The comics are working out very nicely though.

I just feel that people would rather watch the mini-series or movie than read the books. The whole experience of the Dark Tower would be wasted.

read rage, its better

I liked Rage as well. Good story.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
The Shawshank Redemption is the best, in my opinion. It's just a great flick.

Second place goes to Stand By Me.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Second place goes to The Shining.

Quiero Mota
Pet Cemetery and Tommy Knockers.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago, and he signed my copy of his book The Stand.

Impediment
The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption were fantsatic apatations, IMO.

Another personal favorite would have to be The Shining.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Impediment
The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption were fantsatic apatations, IMO.

Another personal favorite would have to be The Shining.

I would have to agree with you. I would also say Christine and The Mist. Also The Stand. Dolores Claiborne. Carrie and Salem's Lot.

Röland
How was The Mist, Jedi?

JediSamuraiMRB

Röland
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
Very good

K, because I'm planning on seeing it this weekend.

Quiero Mota
The Shining and The Shawshenk Redemption are both terribly overrated. I think people just say they like those movies just because its cool to do so.

Impediment
Well................you're right that a lot of "fans" automatically scream "The Shining!" and "Shawshank!" if asked what King adaptation is their favorite, but, I honestly hate 90% of all the rest of King's adapted films.

The Shining is such a spectacular film, and Shawshank is not too far behind.

Reverend Axel
Originally posted by BackFire
Shining.

Followed by Shawshank. Agreed

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
Agreed

On your own accord, or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

Impediment
Another fav of mine would have to be Stand by Me. It's such a sweet, yet dark movie.

Röland
I change my previous answers.

I'd have to say; Shawshank for sure but it's a toss up between Stand By Me, The Shining and Misery.

BlackSunshine
Dolores Claiborne
The Shining
Misery
Christine
It

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
Dolores Claiborne
The Shining
Misery
Christine
It

Christine is one of my fave films and novels by King.

BlackSunshine
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
Christine is one of my fave films and novels by King.

That movie used to scare the sh*t out of me when I was little. I love it though!

Neo Darkhalen
IT, Shining, Tommyknockers, Misery, Firestarter and Carrie

Darth Demise
Hearts in Atlantis and The Green Mile

Both incredible books, both incredible movies
(how can you argue with Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hanks!?)

Deja~vu
Langolers.

McLovin
Storm of the Century
Tommy Knockers
Rose Red
Salems Lot
Stand By Me
It
Cujo
Silver Bullet
Pet Sematary

Worst-

The Langoliers

MildPossession
Dolores Claiborne is definitely my favourite. When it comes to the films, I don't know how well they have been brought to screen because I'm not a fan of his books. So I'm just going by the films.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Strangelove
The Shining, mostly because it's the only Stephen King adaptation I've read all the way through. But also, it's awesome

yeah same reasons for me why I got to go with The Shining.Shining and Christine are the only novels I have read of his and I hated what they did with Christine.Liked it before I read the novel but after I read it,I knew it could be so much better than what it was and now I dont care for it.Wish they would do the same thing with Christine that they did with The Shining.Remake it with a tv version.I know they could do a much better job with it.The tv version of shining sucked but I dont think they would mess it up with Christine in a tv movie version.

regina414
For me, it's Misery. Kathy Bates is really great in portraying a deranged fan. Very wicked!

SelinaAndBruce
I would have to say as a person who has read a good majority of his books I think Misery is the best adaption without changing too much from the story.

The Shining was good but the book and the movie weren't a lot alike at all. The book was far more psycological where as the movie just devolved into a sort of semi slasher flick with an axe.

It is just a terrible adaption. Simply awful. It's very little like the book (though the book is incredibly long and has some sicks parts in it regarding the children and if you've read it you know what I am referring to.....). It's funny because I found the movie scary and then I read the book and saw the movie again and it looked like straight up clownery to me (pun intended).

Carrie is a pretty good adaptation as well even though it has a similar problem like the shining where it just became a horror movie instead of examining some of the ideas King did in the book.

Stand By Me was a good adaptation as well IMO. I think that is actually King's favorite of the lot of his own books to movies.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I would have to say as a person who has read a good majority of his books I think Misery is the best adaption without changing too much from the story.

The Shining was good but the book and the movie weren't a lot alike at all. The book was far more psycological where as the movie just devolved into a sort of semi slasher flick with an axe.

It is just a terrible adaption. Simply awful. It's very little like the book (though the book is incredibly long and has some sicks parts in it regarding the children and if you've read it you know what I am referring to.....). It's funny because I found the movie scary and then I read the book and saw the movie again and it looked like straight up clownery to me (pun intended).

Carrie is a pretty good adaptation as well even though it has a similar problem like the shining where it just became a horror movie instead of examining some of the ideas King did in the book.

Stand By Me was a good adaptation as well IMO. I think that is actually King's favorite of the lot of his own books to movies.

i agree with everything other than your description of The shining movie. THe shining, in no way, resembled a slasher movie. The movie was highly psychological.

I agree that the shining is one of his more faithful adaptations

Kazenji
On the 'shining' topic theres been 2 movies done the second one (1997 mini) i hear is more faithful to the book but overall its just a crap film but the kubrik one is the better one.

MildPossession
The Shining may not be close to the book, but it is a wonderful piece of film making and definitely not 'semi slasher' and was definitely highly psychological like Rage mentioned. Same for Carrie, fabulous.

crystallake
"The Langoliers". Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Just kidding! stick out tongue

celestialdemon
Mine would be:

The Shining
The Shawshank Redeption
Stand By Me
The Green Mile
Carrie
Misery

Although I don't think it's one of the best, I will admit that The Running Man is a guilty pleasure of mine. big grin

I wish Dolan's Cadillac wouldn't have fell through. That could have been good.

willofthewisp
Total agreement, selina! Misery, I would argue, is even better than the book, which hardly ever happens.

Röland
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I agree.

The book was phenomenal and the mini-series was such a let down. I did like Tim Curry as Pennywise though, he kicked ass. Hopefully the new remake will do the book justice, because so much was left out of the first adaptation.

Kazenji
The shining remake ?

first i've heard about roland.

dadudemon
What was the original ending of Dreamcatcher? Seriously, I searched on the interwebz and I could not find what the original ending was supposed to be...what were you guys referring to?

Anyway, I haven't read very many of his books...but I did like Hearts in Atlantis (the book and the movie.) I really liked Dreamcatcher and I am glad it followed (for the most part) very closely to the book.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.