classics of the future

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manorastroman
this thread is devoted to our favorite modern authors. ones that may be considered "un****ablewith" in the forseeable future. safran foer, murakami, auster, lethem etc. etc. etc.

so, who do you think has the best chance of becoming a "classic" author?

my two cents: certainly not palahniuk, as he's basically a pedestrian easton ellis. maybe murakami, but he's too indebted to magical realism. safran foer is a good bet, but he'll need to improve a lot. lethem was my top pick, but his newest novel is pretty bland. paul auster, then?

I...JUST...DON'T...KNOW...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
David Mitchell and Dave Eggers are where it's at for me. Safran Foer is working it though.

manorastroman
you keep plugging this david mitchell fellow. i might actually have to look into it. i don't think i "get" dave eggers. and by "dave eggers" i mean "dave eggers' appeal".

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
David Mitchell and Dave Eggers are where it's at for me. Safran Foer is working it though.

Hahahahahah, Safran....hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by manorastroman

JK Rowling and John Grisham

manorastroman
eh...i think you're missing the point. like, a lot.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
JK Rowling and John Grisham

Haha, yeah...Good one. Say it again, Sam. Say it again.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
you keep plugging this david mitchell fellow. i might actually have to look into it. i don't think i "get" dave eggers. and by "dave eggers" i mean "dave eggers' appeal".

Yeah, Mitchell is great. You should start with Ghostwritten, and go from there.

For me, Eggers' appeal is that he's so zeitgeist-y. And good. AHWOSG is incredible, and I laughed all the way through You Shall Know Our Velocity. I haven't read What Is The What yet...

Victor Von Doom
He has the name of a bastard, though.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Something to do with eggs, or is 'Dave' AC's other name?

chillmeistergen
Ian McEwan; Atonement I think will become a classic.

manorastroman
Yeah, Mitchell is great. You should start with Ghostwritten, and go from there.

For me, Eggers' appeal is that he's so zeitgeist-y. And good. AHWOSG is incredible, and I laughed all the way through You Shall Know Our Velocity. I haven't read What Is The What yet...

i just...don't like it. AHWOSG has it's moments, and i certainly wouldn't outright dismiss it--there's just something amiss. he failed horribly at charming me as a reader, so while reading clinically, i found it to be half a memoir. i think he realized that he had a slim and mediocre piece, so he buffed it with self-aware postmodernism gimmicks--apparently, hoping that acknowledging the schtick on several different levels would make it okay somehow. it sort of came off as literary onanism, especially with the exhausting, cutesy descriptions. that whole page right at the beginning describing the crescent moon spit receptacle is just ****ing stupid.

plus, he's an unforgivable comma whore.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I loved it. I thought it was funny, well-written, and moving. Yeah, perhaps it was a little pseduo-Joycean in parts, but I still admired it because it aspired to be something great, and it generally was.

Is, was, was.

Thorin

The Phantom

Gregory Maguire. His work is basically revisionist retelling of classic childrens stories, I believe he and his work will basically melt into it too.

Victor Von Doom
Alan Moore.

SnakeEyes
Neil Gaiman maybe? I don't know.

Bardock42

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wow, you're smart.

However, if the question mark is missing, then where is it?

Turkey? That shit-hole?

Also, maybe it should have been typed like this:

"You should be able to write...or read for that matter...to be taken serious in a debate on literature."

Ironic, don't you think.

(Notice I didn't use a question mark either, tee-hee-hee...)

Bardock42
Wow, you're smart.

However, if the question mark is missing, then where is it?

Turkey? That shit-hole?

Also, maybe it should have been typed like this:

"You should be able to write...or read for that matter...to be taken serious in a debate on literature."

Ironic, don't you think.

(Notice I didn't use a question mark either, tee-hee-hee...)

You are gay.

tee-hee

See what I did there?

No?

I called you gay.

Then laughed gaily.

Tee-hee

(dog)

And yes, I am smart...very. You may stop sucking my humongous penis now.

manorastroman
been doing some reading, and ian mcewan is a good contender. fantastic prose.

i finally got around to reading some david mitchell; didn't like it all that much. it was a short story in a mcsweeny's collection, called "what you didn't know you wanted" or somesuch. struck me as paul auster-lite. i'll give him another shot, though, as i did enjoy the story alright.

will self is another contender.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do yourself a favor and read muthafu*ckin' Ghostwritten. From there, you can read Number 9 Dream, and then progress onto the glory that is Cloud Atlas and Black Swan Green.

There lie dreams.

manorastroman
just started reading will self. if he could tone down the transgressive stuff, he would be a definite contender.

RedAlertv2
David Mitchell and Dave Eggers are where it's at for me. Safran Foer is working it though. lol. "eggers"

Gregory

manorastroman
pynchon's already in the bag, along with don delillo and a few others.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Gregory
Have you ever read a Doc Savage novel? No? I'll bet most people on this forums haven't. One of the most popular pulp fiction heroes of his time, along with the Shadow.

Would you consider "The Czar of Fear" and "The Mystery on the Snow" to be classic novels. Would you consider Lester Dent to be a classic author?

You missed the point; you failed to realize that just because a lot of people are reading something now, it doesn't make it classic, enduring literature.

My money's on Pynchon, incidently.

It's odd though, because in many ways the works that endure are dependent on certain people's championing of them.

Many authors that are currently 'classic' disappeared from the wider consciousness until someone decided to bring them back to the fore.

(General point, not particularly aimed at you).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.