Dental visit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackSunshine
I've been having a terrible toothache for the past few months and I finally went to the dentist today. I found out I have an absessed tooth that either needs to be pulled or to save it they have to do a root canal and some other procedures. The extraction, tooth pulling will only be about $210.00 with insurance and all the other procedures all together will be over $1,800. I'm definitley going to get the tooth pulled because it's in the bac of my mouth and it's not like anyone could see it unless I showed it. Plus all the other b/s is way too expensive. One other is my gums are infected on the right bottom side of my mouth. I also found out I have alot of decaying teeth due to neglect and junk food and most of all sodas. As I told some of you before, I havent gone to the dentist since I was about 14 or 15. For now, they gave me 5 mg. Vicodin for pain and 500 mg. Penicillin to get rid of the infection and bacteria going on in my mouth. This is only temporary until insurance kicks in in less than a week so I don't have long to wait.

InnerRise
Wow. I hope that gets fixed.

You really have got me kind of worried though.

I've been getting on my mom for neglecting to take me to the dentist. Ever since I've turned 18, my insurance stopped so I have been to the dentist since before I was 18 and that's bad and she doesn't seem to care.

I'm definitely going to mention your situation to see if that doesn't kick her into gear.

Good Luck.

I actually had to take penicillin though (when I was going to the dentist) in preparation for my Wisdom Teeth removal. Had to get all 4 removed b/c they were growing underneath my gum at an angle and pushing up against other teeth and that was causing a lot of pain. So they had to go under the gum and everything b/c they hadn't penetrated the surface. Of course I was put to sleep and everything worked out. I didn't have numbness in my lower lip for life as they told me could be a possibility if hey hit a nerve which was close to my wisdom teeth.

So yeah.....I don't know what I would do in your situation. Of course I'd want to save it....but if it's not noticeable I guess it doesn't make a different to anyone other than you? Would it affect your eating or anything or speech?

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

BlackSunshine
Thanks.

That really sucks though. My mom took me off her insurance when I turned 18. However it was my fault that this happened to my teeth. Even the dentist said it wasnt by accident...it was self inflicted. My eating habits are really bad. I never drink water and I hardly ever eat anything the least bit healthy. Worst part of it is he said the reason my teeth are so bad is because I drink so much soda. I do, I wont lie.

Just hope that you never and I mean NEVER have this happen to you. It's seriously worse than child-birth. I should know I've been through it.

I don't think it will effect my speech or eating but I'm sure having a hole in my mouth will take some time to get used to. A friend of mine had a tooth pulled and she said it was the weirdest feeling in the world. She said when they pulled her tooth she heard popping...I'm assuming the roots. But she said it sounded so disgusting she started gagging. Sucks because I have a terrible gag reflex. lol

OH!!! They were trying to put one of those x-rays into my mouth and I almost threw up. laughing

Hidden Lotus
all three of those posts were way too long for me to read.

darthsecretus30
I would be careful concerning picking up new insurance. I work in the medical field and have noticed people just getting insurance when there in the middle of a problem will be considered a pre-existing condition. So if you haven't filled out the paper work for your insurance yet, make sure you are truthful about your problems. It may cost alittle more a month for the insurance but it still will be cheaper. I'm not to sure how dental insurance goes but medical insurance is like that. Good luck

Englishpin@pple
Originally posted by Hidden Lotus

Word

Lana
Originally posted by Hidden Lotus
Originally posted by Englishpin@pple
Word

Then what's the point of posting just to say that?

silver_tears
I stopped wearing my retainer a few months in, I was supposed to wear it for 2 years. That and I haven't been to my orthodontist in about a year. ermm

I go to the dentist every 6 months though for cleaning/check up, it's covered by Canadian health care, and my dad has top notch insurance at his work that covers me until I get a job after university, we don't pay for any procedure pretty much.

I'm sorry for your situation though.
I used to hate the dentist as a kid and would get cavities that taught me my lesson.

InnerRise
Originally posted by silver_tears
I stopped wearing my retainer a few months in, I was supposed to wear it for 2 years. That and I haven't been to my orthodontist in about a year. ermm

I go to the dentist every 6 months though for cleaning/check up, it's covered by Canadian health care, and my dad has top notch insurance at his work that covers me until I get a job after university, we don't pay for any procedure pretty much.

I used to hate the dentist as a kid and would get cavities that taught me my lesson. You......You......no expression

blowup

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

silver_tears
Originally posted by InnerRise
You......You......no expression

blowup

wave

Which reminds me, I haven't had a cavity in like 8 years. shock Dude.

LethalFemme

I used to hate the dentist as a kid and would get cavities that taught me my lesson.

You wore a retainer?shock

silver_tears
Originally posted by LethalFemme
You wore a retainer?shock

Braces too, for 2 years. disgust
Before I got all sexy you see, when I was an awkward teen. flex

LethalFemme
Braces too, for 2 years. disgust
Before I got all sexy you see, when I was an awkward teen. flex

Like in one of those movies when the girl comes back from summer vaca and is all sexy like?blush2

silver_tears
Originally posted by LethalFemme
Like in one of those movies when the girl comes back from summer vaca and is all sexy like?blush2

Exactly 313

Strangelove
wave

Which reminds me, I haven't had a cavity in like 8 years. shock Dude. I haven't had a cavity ever shock

LethalFemme
Exactly 313

Too many movies for us.13

Mr. Bacon
Originally posted by Strangelove
I haven't had a cavity ever shock

Punkyhermy
wow i was discussing dentistry and health insurance the other day and its sad that america has the best healthy care in the world, only its completely unaffordable. erm

i have no insurance problems as yet...need to get braces soon tho.

TaZ#12
Never had braces, I here they suck. I haven't had a cavity for like 5-6 years, I hate the dentists.

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by TaZ#12
Never had braces, I here they suck. I haven't had a cavity for like 5-6 years, I hate the dentists.

i want braces. i should have gotten them years ago but meh..my parents were lazy.

TaZ#12
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
i want braces. i should have gotten them years ago but meh..my parents were lazy.

I've also wanted braces, but everybody who has them say you don't want them, they cut up your mouth and everything.

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by TaZ#12
I've also wanted braces, but everybody who has them say you don't want them, they cut up your mouth and everything.

but after a while your mouth is all prettyno expression

TaZ#12
big grin

InnerRise
They don't "cut up your mouth and everything."

They "straighten your teeth and everything."

TaZ#12
Sure.

InnerRise
Says the guy/girl who actually wanted to have braces. roll eyes (sarcastic)

TaZ#12
I use to.

Lana
They don't "cut up your mouth and everything."

They "straighten your teeth and everything."

I had braces when I was younger and they will cut up the inside of your mouth at first.

Not fun.

Kuchiki
But....don't you put like plastic or something over it? I've never had braces (but I'm getting them soon) but doesn't that prevent the cutting?

InnerRise
Originally posted by Lana
I had braces when I was younger and they will cut up the inside of your mouth at first.

Not fun. Well I meant generally speaking. I know it's possible, but it's not so final and as guaranteed as stated above.

Lana
Originally posted by Kuchiki
But....don't you put like plastic or something over it? I've never had braces (but I'm getting them soon) but doesn't that prevent the cutting?

They give you wax you can put over the braces but you have to use a ton before it'll really keep them from scraping up the inside of your mouth.

Well I meant generally speaking. I know it's possible, but it's not so final and as guaranteed as stated above.

Nah, it's pretty much a given, if you have braces the inside of your mouth is going to get pretty torn up until you're used to them.

InnerRise
Hmm.....Didn't know that........the people that I was around in school that had braces didn't really convey that.

Strangelove
Wouldn't know....don't need braces srug

Punkyhermy
Hmm.....Didn't know that........the people that I was around in school that had braces didn't really convey that.

mhmm yeah.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
mhmm yeah. Whatever the freak that means. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Punkyhermy
Whatever the freak that means. roll eyes (sarcastic)

me wants frozen yogurt.

InnerRise
Uh....okay....confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.