WTF Morrison?!?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Grimm22
I know its a little late to be ranting about this, but the last issue of Batman by Grant Morrison was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen

Seriously, I couldn't read it, because if I did it would have taken me all day.

For Christ's sake Morrison wrote a *ucking book for a comic!?!? mad

Seriously, its a book in the shape of a comic with a couple of pictures in it.

And this coming after the retarded ending to Son of the Bat, where Batman not only somehow survives being blown up on a sub, but all of a sudden he's on land?!?

Im sick of Morrison's artistic *ucking bull*hit writing!!

Validus
Huh?

Grimm22
Didn't you read the latest issue of Batman (Not this weeks)?

It was a f*cking book!

Validus
No. I stopped reading Batman awhile ago. You have me intrigued though.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Validus
Huh?

Grimm22
http://freakcomics.com/2007/02/17/batman-663-sucks-really-badly/

This about sums up my feelings toward it

Grimm22
and these scans show u what im talking about

http://comics.ign.com/articles/761/761983p1.html

manjaro
yes i personally coudmlt sit thru that issue

Juntai
However, the Batman issue was superbly written.

Validus
Morrison must have gotten bored from waiting on Jim Lee to finish Wildcats #2.

Redatom65
eek! that's pretty cool. Consider it bought

Darth Macabre
I'm not going to lie: I actually liked it. I can definitely see why you wouldn't like it, however.

Batman-Prime
The Design looks good...... honestly.... but not in an comic book.....

Grimm22
Exactly, its not a comic book

If Morrison was writing a novel this might work, but I buy comics to read comics, not books!

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Grimm22
and these scans show u what im talking about

http://comics.ign.com/articles/761/761983p1.html well that looks badno expression

Devil Lance
I thought it was great and it actually took a while to read through unlike most comics

Badabing
I know its a little late to be ranting about this, but the last issue of Batman by Grant Morrison was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen

And this coming after the retarded ending to Son of the Bat, where Batman not only somehow survives being blown up on a sub, but all of a sudden he's on land?!?

What's ucking bull hit? huh

Morrison = dur.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I'm not going to lie: I actually liked it. I can definitely see why you wouldn't like it, however. Oh so cleverly veiled insult? 313

Oh, and I like how it looks. Looks like a really interesting read. Thanks for the heads-up, Grimm. I'll be sure to grab it. smile

Grimm22
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Oh so cleverly veiled insult? 313

Oh, and I like how it looks. Looks like a really interesting read. Thanks for the heads-up, Grimm. I'll be sure to grab it. smile

and burn it big grin

Devil Lance
and burn it big grin

eek!
Grimm supports book burning
hes a commie eek!

Validus
Morrison is God.

Lucid Lui
I haven't read it, but from the sounds of it, i'd have to agree with Grimm here.

Writers who try something new, attempt to push the envelope or bring new styles to the medium or even do anything the tiniest bit different from the typical comic book archetype should be hung from the rafters and egged by angry soccer mums.

Innovation = Bad, brother!

/sarcasm

Grimm22
Originally posted by Devil Lance
eek!
Grimm supports book burning
hes a commie eek!

No only poorly written comics

and Captain America #25 big grin

Devil Lance
No only poorly written comics

and Captain America #25 big grin

If you say so shifty

Stalin Jr stick out tongue

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
I haven't read it, but from the sounds of it, i'd have to agree with Grimm here.

Writers who try something new, attempt to push the envelope or bring new styles to the medium or even do anything the tiniest bit different from the typical comic book archetype should be hung from the rafters and egged by angry soccer mums.

Innovation = Bad, brother!

/sarcasm

Truthfully this actually has ben done beofre Denny O'neil di an issue like this during his run on Batman

manjaro
the one upon a timish aspect was what drew me away and it was nt like it was some sort of following to an ongoing it was just some bullshit about the joker so i was like screw it

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by Devil Lance
Truthfully this actually has ben done beofre Denny O'neil di an issue like this during his run on Batman Yeah, i know it's been done before. I'm just ribbing Grimm. smile

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Oh so cleverly veiled insult? 313

Oh, and I like how it looks. Looks like a really interesting read. Thanks for the heads-up, Grimm. I'll be sure to grab it. smile On, no! They're on to me. shifty

long pig
Dude, what's the problem? You just got more bang for your buck. If he had had it drawn out like normal, it'd have been 10 issues instead of 1.

And what's the problem with that style of comic anyway? It's been around for years, awesome comics like I,Lucifer and Poison Elves are written that way a lot.

Black Adam
I though the basic idea was alright. Trying to update the joker and trying to make him more of threat. Though sadly I felt the art that was there and the writing failed.

The art that was there was some of the most ugly computer art I have ever seen. Seriously stuff in 99 looked better then this.

Dialogue was horrible and Morrison was trying way to hard with his descriptions. Morrison's run hasn't really been doing it for me. Ninja bats,whiny brat of a son, failed update of a classic high profile character mixed with the delays equals= not getting my money anymore. I'll stick with Detective.

Juntai
Originally posted by long pig
Dude, what's the problem? You just got more bang for your buck. If he had had it drawn out like normal, it'd have been 10 issues instead of 1.

And what's the problem with that style of comic anyway? It's been around for years, awesome comics like I,Lucifer and Poison Elves are written that way a lot. A few Crossgen issues were written like that as well.
I liked those issues as well.
Particularly the one near the end of Scion written from the perspective of the escaped slave.

Crossgen was one of the best things ever in comics. I wish it was still going.

Grimm22
Originally posted by long pig

And what's the problem with that style of comic anyway? It's been around for years, awesome comics like I,Lucifer and Poison Elves are written that way a lot.

The problem is its not a comic

Its a freakin' book!

And not a very well written one at that.

Seriously, this was supposed to be a one-shot issue of the return of the joker after he got shot in the face

Superguy
I'm with Grimm... and what the HELL has happened to Morrison? First the Authority and now this bullshit...

Devil Lance
The problem is its not a comic

Its a freakin' book!

And not a very well written one at that.

Seriously, this was supposed to be a one-shot issue of the return of the joker after he got shot in the face

It still is confused

willRules
I liked the whole son of Batman stuff but the latest issue doesn't look very appealing, which is a shame because I have recently been hearing good stuff about Batman yes

Grimm22
Well the latest issue came out today

I just hope its actually a comic this time, not memoirs from Morrison's diary

WrathfulDwarf

Aside from the look....That particular Joker story was really good.

The new issue is back to normal.

capt it up
I don't see the problem. Why complain about getting more for your money?

The more they write the longer the story......the more work they put in for the same amount of money........

How is that a bad thing.......

tjcoady
there have been a lot of comics like that... I think at least four different Hellblazers, were, at least, and way, way more than one Batman. It was a really well written issue. I don't see why you need pictures on every single page to enjoy an issue of a comic.

capt it up
Originally posted by tjcoady
there have been a lot of comics like that... I think at least four different Hellblazers, were, at least, and way, way more than one Batman. It was a really well written issue. I don't see why you need pictures on every single page to enjoy an issue of a comic.
cosigned.

I wish there was more wolverine comics like that

Morridini
So instead of drawing stuff they had pages with description of what they were wearing, doing etc? Don't seem like you get more for your money that way.

capt it up
Originally posted by Morridini
So instead of drawing stuff they had pages with description of what they were wearing, doing etc? Don't seem like you get more for your money that way.
umm they still had pictures........

Morridini
By the scans I saw one the link those can hardly be called pictures.

capt it up
Originally posted by Morridini
By the scans I saw one the link those can hardly be called pictures.
really what else do you call them? oh wait drawings.....

first I don't see them really explaining what people are wearing. second it is extremely detailed. You can get more out of discriptive writing then simply pictures some times. since you can fully understand the writer point of few better

I find it to be better and not to mention you do infact get more for your money.

the writters create and write the story. The artist simply draw it. some times they do not do a very good job at fully showing the details that the author wants provided.

So now we see what the author truelly intended for the comic to potray.

but see I enjoy reading........

Psyquis52
Batman goes from one extreme to the other from time to time.

I remember one instance when they decided to test the waters and see how people would respond to an entire book with no writing. Just pictures. That went over okay but people complained that there wasn't enough depth to it. Personally I said that it was inventive and a nice break.

Now they do the opposite which is a full story (okay maybe a few pictures) without graphic illustration. I'm impressed and intrigued. Looking forward to reading it, but I won't be interested in anything trite. I'll be more critical of this than anything I've seen from Morrison thus far.

capt it up
Originally posted by Psyquis52
Batman goes from one extreme to the other from time to time.

I remember one instance when they decided to test the waters and see how people would respond to an entire book with no writing. Just pictures. That went over okay but people complained that there wasn't enough depth to it. Personally I said that it was inventive and a nice break.

Now they do the opposite which is a full story (okay maybe a few pictures) without graphic illustration. I'm impressed and intrigued. Looking forward to reading it, but I won't be interested in anything trite. I'll be more critical of this than anything I've seen from Morrison thus far.

fair enough. I just like the concept. It feels like there putting more effort into the writting and lettign the reader full understand the authors purpose of the comic and how he personally views the story.

I have not read the whole thing personally yet, but I intend to, because it seems to be well thought out and in depth.

Newjak
Originally posted by Juntai
A few Crossgen issues were written like that as well.
I liked those issues as well.
Particularly the one near the end of Scion written from the perspective of the escaped slave.

Crossgen was one of the best things ever in comics. I wish it was still going. Another Crossgen fan I'm so happy big grin

Juntai
Originally posted by Newjak
Another Crossgen fan I'm so happy big grin I read pretty much everything they ever produced. It's been a long time though.

Newjak
I read pretty much everything they ever produced. It's been a long time though. Same here. I lvoed those comics and the all the different worlds they had.

Who was your favorite guy and your favorite comic?

Juntai
Originally posted by Newjak
Same here. I lvoed those comics and the all the different worlds they had.

Who was your favorite guy and your favorite comic? Obviously my favorite stuff was all the cosmic stuff they had going and how well it all meshed together, like Crux, First Sigil, Negation, Solus, Mark of Charon...

My favorite outside of that, as a single title, would probably Scion or Sojourn.

Juntai
Me picking Sojourn or Scion would probably be a given, since I already identified myself as a former D&D nerd.

Newjak
Obviously my favorite stuff was all the cosmic stuff they had going and how well it all meshed together, like Crux, First Sigil, Negation, Solus, Mark of Charon...

My favorite outside of that, as a single title, would probably Scion or Sojourn. I know I especially loved the story between the Atlantians and the First. That stuff was cool.

I also like the promise that Route 666 showed in its first appearance. Man I wish that crossgen hadn't gone under sad

Board Walker
I usually don't read batman, but maybe I should pick this one up?

H. S. 6
I read some of the experts... terrible, terrible writing.

If you're going to make a comic book supported solely by the writing, at least--you know--make it good.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I read some of the experts... terrible, terrible writing.

If you're going to make a comic book supported solely by the writing, at least--you know--make it good.

I thought it was good

maybe you just don't like good writing roll eyes (sarcastic)

H. S. 6

roughrider
Has Andy Kubert already fled from BATMAN, because he can't work with that crazy nutter from Glasgow? (And Morrison is just one of many... stick out tongue )

Grimm22
The latest issue kicked ass big grin

Morrison has redeemed himself with the latest Batman

In fact one scene on its own is worth buying the issue

Hint: Batman learns capes can be a weakness laughing

long pig
I STILL don't understand the argument. That is a totally valid way of writing a comic, it's been done in nearly every major superhero comic out there at least once or twice. I realize it's very different if you're used to people like BMB's comics where there are 40 words and bunches of neat art, but after a while don't you feel a bit cheated when you've spent 40 bucks on comics that could have been done in 3 issues?

I do.

I like both styles, but if it's something like D&D, Still Life or other "deep" type stories, it'd have to be written in the more wordy style because there's so much shit to cover, but in, say...a Hulk comic, that style wouldn't work at all.

Grimm22
Because if Morrison wanted to write it this way he should have gone and written a book

But, its not a book, its a COMIC

Comics are about the contrast of art and story, not story with a few crappy images in it

jumpmann
if you dont like it, dont buy it

i dont like the thing

hence why i dont buy f4 comics

im smart like that

Grimm22
Originally posted by jumpmann
if you dont like it, dont buy it

i dont like the thing

hence why i dont buy f4 comics

im smart like that

Yet you have Dr. Doom as your avatar

And if you wanted to read a book with Doom in it you would read FF no expression

So your logic = Cats

Blair Wind
Obviously my favorite stuff was all the cosmic stuff they had going and how well it all meshed together, like Crux, First Sigil, Negation, Solus, Mark of Charon...

My favorite outside of that, as a single title, would probably Scion or Sojourn.

Which one was the one where they started off as lab rats, and all got out under the leadership of the Earth man? (the Military Captain, only one with no powers in the whole crew?) Thats the one I read the most of...

Never really got the whole cross gen thing since I only read a few issues from a few of the different series (like why EVERYONE with powers had that weird symbol)...seemed pretty good though smile

Validus

And if you wanted to read a book with Doom in it you would read FF no expression

So your logic = Cats
Not really man. I like Nightwing but I skipped the vast majority of the Devin Grayson run.

Martian_mind
Nightwing is awful lately IMO....

Juntai
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Which one was the one where they started off as lab rats, and all got out under the leadership of the Earth man? (the Military Captain, only one with no powers in the whole crew?) Thats the one I read the most of...

Never really got the whole cross gen thing since I only read a few issues from a few of the different series (like why EVERYONE with powers had that weird symbol)...seemed pretty good though smile Negation.

The human was Obregon Kain.

jumpmann

So your logic = Cats
i chose my avatar for looks only

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Nightwing is awful lately IMO....

What the f**k?

Wolfman Rocks smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.