Nintendo DS question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sai1
I'm going to be geting a Nintendo DS it seems, but I never really intended to get one and still don't really have any plans for it. I recall though, hearing that you can play multiplayer games with other people even if you don't have the game yourself as long as someone else has it? Is my memory correct and if so how does it work? Would I need to register for some sort of wireless service or anything?

Lightningrod
As long as you are on an WiFi network you would be fine
I used to work at Mcdonalds and they installed an WiFi Network there and it was free to connect with your Nintendo DS
But as far as the other question...you only need one game to play the game

Lana
To answer your questions - no, you do not need to register for any wireless service, so long as you are somewhere that has Wi-fi, you just need to configure your system and game to that network.

For the other question...there are certain games where you can play multiplayer with only one game card, but those are not wi-fi, they're local wireless (meaning you have to actually be together). How it works is one person starts up the game with it in their DS, and then swaps the card to another person, and they start it up (I think, I really haven't got a clue, I've never done it). This is not every game, though, only certain ones. Mario 64 DS is the only one that I can think of that lets you do that, though there are more.

Silverstein
some games allow "single-card multiplayer" like Mario Kart, where actually own the game, and other ds players can download, and play the game with me, but only when i set up a game.

Sai1
So these "single-card multiplayer games" only work for local wireless and not wi-fi.
When you are on Wi-fi are able to play with people all over the globe? Also would two people with different a different DS - like one made in the US and one made in Japan - be able to do "single - card multiplayer games" via local wireless? Probably not huh?

Lana
Wi-fi you can play with people all over the world, yes.

As for the single-card multiplayer games thing...I don't know. DSs are not region-encoded, but I'm still not sure if that would work or not.

Silverstein
if its a multiplayer game:

if you have a wi fi game then you can play people all over the world or in the same region. (example//me playing metroid with someone across the globe)

or you could do the single-card multiplayer, where you play with friends that are like within detectable range (example//me sitting with my friends playing metroid and only he owns the game, and he can choose any character and i am only able to choose the default character)

Sai1
Originally posted by Lana

As for the single-card multiplayer games thing...I don't know. DSs are not region-encoded, but I'm still not sure if that would work or not.

Is that so? If they're not region-encoded I don't see why it couldn't work... The DS should be able to play games from any regin then right? The one I'm getting is made in Japan so I'm wondering if it will be of any use when I go back to the US.

Lana
Originally posted by Sai1
Is that so? If they're not region-encoded I don't see why it couldn't work... The DS should be able to play games from any regin then right? The one I'm getting is made in Japan so I'm wondering if it will be of any use when I go back to the US.

Well, you'll still be able to play games from any region on your DS, that won't be a problem. I just think I remember reading something about wireless stuff not always working properly if the game and system are from different regions, but I really have no idea.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Lana
To answer your questions - no, you do not need to register for any wireless service, so long as you are somewhere that has Wi-fi, you just need to configure your system and game to that network.

For the other question...there are certain games where you can play multiplayer with only one game card, but those are not wi-fi, they're local wireless (meaning you have to actually be together). How it works is one person starts up the game with it in their DS, and then swaps the card to another person, and they start it up (I think, I really haven't got a clue, I've never done it). This is not every game, though, only certain ones. Mario 64 DS is the only one that I can think of that lets you do that, though there are more. You really do have no idea.

One person DOESN'T start up the game and then take out the card while the system is on and give it to the other person. That's ridiculous.

The person with the game card keeps the game card in the entire time and the other person (who is in close vicinity) downloads the information wirelessly to his sytem.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Lana
Yeah, and did you note me saying I've never done it? I openly admitted I wasn't sure.

And it's not a terribly ridiculous concept of how it could work, either.

InnerRise
Hmmm....Maybe not. I just thought that the idea of taking a game out of the system while it was on would damage something or at least cause the screen the freeze or go blank.

Silverstein
true dat

Spartan005
Originally posted by InnerRise
You really do have no idea.

One person DOESN'T start up the game and then take out the card while the system is on and give it to the other person. That's ridiculous.

The person with the game card keeps the game card in the entire time and the other person (who is in close vicinity) downloads the information wirelessly to his sytem.

Sorry Mr. "I hate Humans"

InnerRise
Originally posted by Spartan005
Sorry Mr. "I hate Humans" Whatever the f**k that means Mr. "STFU"

Spartan005
Originally posted by InnerRise
Whatever the f**k that means Mr. "STFU"

And I quote from profile... "I also hate people. Young, old, it doesn't matter, they all suck and can go and take a flying leap."

no expression

Lana
How about both of you shut up as your bickering has nothing to do with the topic?

General Kaliero
This thread should be taken out and shot...

InnerRise
Yes it should. Especially with some of the suggestions in here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.