Carolina's/South's racial problem and Gullah

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Czarina_Czarina
Could racial problems (with respect to how some AA view the world) be something passed on via folklore, such as what is taught to people who hold onto the Gullah language and culture of the Carolinas (there are racial problems in the deep south, and the deep south happens to be where there is a lot of old African culture, mainly roots/voodoo)? I wonder if the same Gullah culture that preserves the African language and some customs, also, pass down resentment from slavery...I've heard some AA speak a totally different language before, and wondered if they were speaking Gullah, some have spoken it with me but realized that I don't know that language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullah

http://www.coastalguide.com/gullah/

http://www.yale.edu/glc/gullah/index.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/156718524X/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-8083918-1504762#reader-link

From what I was told by one person from the Carolinas, if someone wants to have something taken care of, they visit a "root" worker, and this person said the line is usually very long. So, it makes me wonder if a lot of the cultural aspects of problem solving (how one deals with petty problems) coupled with the attachment with the history of slavery in this country, perpetuates the feeling of racism.

Symmetric Chaos
When did you change your name?

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
When did you change your name?

A long time ago but the update was done recently by a "friend".

Boots
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
Could racial problems (with respect to how some AA view the world) be something passed on via folklore, such as what is taught to people who hold onto the Gullah language and culture of the Carolinas (there are racial problems in the deep south, and the deep south happens to be where there is a lot of old African culture, mainly roots/voodoo)? I wonder if the same Gullah culture that preserves the African language and some customs, also, pass down resentment from slavery...I've heard some AA speak a totally different language before, and wondered if they were speaking Gullah, some have spoken it with me but realized that I don't know that language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullah

http://www.coastalguide.com/gullah/

http://www.yale.edu/glc/gullah/index.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/156718524X/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-8083918-1504762#reader-link

From what I was told by one person from the Carolinas, if someone wants to have something taken care of, they visit a "root" worker, and this person said the line is usually very long. So, it makes me wonder if a lot of the cultural aspects of problem solving (how one deals with petty problems) coupled with the attachment with the history of slavery in this country, perpetuates the feeling of racism.

...we must pray to the Almighty not to refuse His blessing to this change and not to abandon our people in the times to come.

(Mein Kampf)

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Boots
...we must pray to the Almighty not to refuse His blessing to this change and not to abandon our people in the times to come.

(Mein Kampf)

Are you mocking me as a Hitler brat? Can we please just discuss the gullah people and their view of life and problem solving, and leave Hitler and the like out of it, please?

Boots
Are you mocking me as a Hitler brat? Can we please just discuss the gullah people and their view of life and problem solving, and leave Hitler and the like out of it, please?

Hitlers views can be applied to most issues.

Czarina_Czarina

I still suspect you are mocking me for some reason, but, if that's your view, ok, but really, after reading about the gullah people, what do you think about it, and how do you view their belief system (problem solving)...and how do you feel this may effect their thinking of "outsiders" who don't look like them...what I am trying to state is this...if people use roots/voodoo for petty problems against their neighbors or lover or whoever, then when real problems happen, where do they go to solve their problems? And if the south has real racial problems, and the deep southern blacks are known for their belief in this type of problem solving, how should this factor in race relations...see, most blacks that I have spoken to only blame the problem on whites, but some seem to see the inner issues (such as how petty disputes are resolved)...this stuff captures their imagination b/c it's part of their culture, and I would like to make this distinction, there is a huge difference between LOOKING LIKE A BLACK PERSON, AND BEING A PART OF BLACK CULTURE, those two things are not the same thing.

Boots
The result of all racial crossing is therefore in brief always the following:

(a) Lowering of the level of the higher race;

(b) Physical and intellectual regression and hence the beginning of a slowly but surely progressing sickness.

To bring about such a development is, then, nothing else but to sin against the will of the eternal creator. And as a sin this act is rewarded.

-Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

?

Czarina_Czarina
The result of all racial crossing is therefore in brief always the following:

(a) Lowering of the level of the higher race;

(b) Physical and intellectual regression and hence the beginning of a slowly but surely progressing sickness.

To bring about such a development is, then, nothing else but to sin against the will of the eternal creator. And as a sin this act is rewarded.

-Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

?

Why are you mocking my post? I am really looking for interesting dialogue here, if I wanted to promote Hitler, I would start threads about him. I suspect you are trying to mock me, yet, in doing so, you're putting his name out and his ideas.

You know, I don't have good history with black culture, it was based on things done to me in the past, and, I tend to have the strongest feeling toward those individuals and the ones who seem to promote that kind of culture, yet...I can't fully agree with a-b, how do you explain autism when usually, autistic children are born of parents with higher then normal IQs?

Kinneary
As someone from the Carolinas, South to be precise, no, I never perceived racism to be an underlying motivation for pretty much anything. Nor did I view those who spoke Gulla any different from anyone else, as the accent they carried was usually ignored as simply another cultural difference, no different than most of us viewed a northerner's accent.

In other words, the racial problem in the south is blown way out of proportion. It barely exists, if it even does at all. In these days, I think most of the US is equally tolerant, the south just has a bad wrap because of its historical roots.

Symmetric Chaos
I can't fully agree with a-b, how do you explain autism when usually, autistic children are born of parents with higher then normal IQs?

Did you just say that Autistic people are stupid?

Do you not get the idea of a spectrum disorder?

People with Autism can be geniuses who are limited primarily by an inability or lack or desire to communicate.

Boots
People with Autism can be geniuses who are limited primarily by an inability or lack or desire to communicate.

Es tut mir leid, aber das kommt darauf an!

Symmetric Chaos
It does wrong to me, but arrives on it!

huh

Grand_Moff_Gav

Yes, he was a master of being vauge!

Boots
huh

I said

I'm sorry but that depends!

Es tut mir leid, aber (I'm sorry but)

Das kommt darauf an (that depends)

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

chithappens
Originally posted by Kinneary

In other words, the racial problem in the south is blown way out of proportion. It barely exists, if it even does at all. In these days, I think most of the US is equally tolerant, the south just has a bad wrap because of its historical roots.

Ok, time to shoot this down.

Party @ Clemson on Martin Luther King Day:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16895661/

Those are the tame pictures and I won't bother to post the other ones. Now I will be the first to say that you could say they are just emulating rap and all that, but the black make up is never necessary and one picture had a girl with a bottle in Aunt Jenma with the same apron and handkerchief on.... yea.

I go to the University of Tennessee. We had a similar party by some frat on this campus in 2004. Every so often, there is some sort of issue between whites and other minorities. It's not something everyone participates in but it happens. It's not a majority of people, but a nice sum. Racism occurs in the North, the difference being it's not so out in the open (if examples are needed I can show ya.)

People are nice. People are assholes. People are of different skin tones and so on. It's a mix. But let's not say it is not longer an issue at all. If it were not an issue then people would not act so taboo about it.

Kinneary
Here then, if it pleases you, I'll clarify by saying the racial issue in the south isn't any worse than it is anywhere else.

chithappens
Syntax makes all the difference

Rogue Jedi
give us some examples.

It's a hobby!
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
give us some examples.

It's a bit silly asking as he's banned! lol

Czarina_Czarina
Did you just say that Autistic people are stupid?

Do you not get the idea of a spectrum disorder?

I didn't mean to allude that autistic people are anything but, they aren't the "same" as their parents, thus the reason for the label, and if their parents have an IQ of 170, but their autistic child has an IQ of 150 (higher then the average), he's still highly intelligent, but something has changed. Please don't turn this simple conversation into something PC, I have nothing against autistic kids and even have one in our "family", so please, it's really just an illustration, not intending to put down anybody.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.