Trailers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
I thought we might be able to make some sense of the story of AWE by looking at the trailers of the movies we already know, like what details they focus on, how things are put together. Here is the official trailer for Curse of the Black Pearl.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5gImLLJuq_M

Dead Man's Chest

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5rz4h0AT5iY

And At World's End
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BCRq0VuOduM&mode=related&search=

Minie Mina
1) they both always show Will and Liz scenes.

2) In DMC, it shows Jack in a lot of trouble and in AWE it shows all of them into a lot of trouble.

3) DMC you see the kraken. AWE no Kraken in sight.

4) DMC you see Elizabeth with only one hat. AWE she wears two different hats--not to mention costumes.

savvysparrow
Well, the trailers get progressively better.

I think overall what strikes me most is the contrast in tone between the three trailers. The first trailer seems like a rip-roaring good time adventure story.

The characters are going to new, unexplored places, and the tone of the films is progressively darker. I noticed a difference in the ammount of violence. The first film is violent, but it's significantly reduced because the pirates cannot be killed. So, I guess there is a tone of desperation.
Jack is more of a secondary character in the first film, but he becomes the main feature in the other two. That would be the biggest difference I think.
The trailers are set up in the same way that the stories are told in my opinion.

Also, it amuses me how young Orlando and Keira look in the first film and how all the acting has improved ten fold.

willofthewisp
Yeah, I'm really interested why the kraken and Bootstrap aren't in the AWE trailer. Is it just me, or does the DMC trailer seem to be revealing a lot? It doesn't give as much information as COTBP does, but it shows a lot of things that maybe should have stayed hidden until the movie.

You know what I just thought of? Both the trailers do this, but DMC does especially. It splices conversations and purposely puts in lines that are out of context. For example, the way it's structured, Tia implies the chest is at the ends of the earth. It also implies that this is a "trio" adventure, meaning Jack, Will, and Liz are doing the same thing at the same time. It establishes them as a trio in this one, which they are, but they are hardly ever all three together. We may be seeing more of the same with the AWE trailer.

Anyone notice how COTBP looks as if it's meant to be almost completely from Liz's point of view?

Ericadawn
How did I forget that James actually had a speaking line in the first trailer? Oh, yeah, it wasn't until I saw it on that big screen that I liked him...too distracted by Orlando and Johnny in the trailer...

So, his has a symmetry, one second of Spiffington in CotBP, lots of background shots of Scruffington in DMC and one second of Spiffington in the AWE one. It feels like it's going full circle for him, back to the original T & T CotBP outlook for him.

savvysparrow
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Yeah, I'm really interested why the kraken and Bootstrap aren't in the AWE trailer. Is it just me, or does the DMC trailer seem to be revealing a lot? It doesn't give as much information as COTBP does, but it shows a lot of things that maybe should have stayed hidden until the movie.

You know what I just thought of? Both the trailers do this, but DMC does especially. It splices conversations and purposely puts in lines that are out of context. For example, the way it's structured, Tia implies the chest is at the ends of the earth. It also implies that this is a "trio" adventure, meaning Jack, Will, and Liz are doing the same thing at the same time. It establishes them as a trio in this one, which they are, but they are hardly ever all three together. We may be seeing more of the same with the AWE trailer.

Anyone notice how COTBP looks as if it's meant to be almost completely from Liz's point of view?

Well it is, from a certain perspective. The writers have said that each movie belongs to one of the three main characters. COTBP is Elizabeth's movie. DMC is Jack's, and AWE is supposedly meant to be Will's.

Sifzensinril
Originally posted by savvysparrow
Well it is, from a certain perspective. The writers have said that each movie belongs to one of the three main characters. COTBP is Elizabeth's movie. DMC is Jack's, and AWE is supposedly meant to be Will's.
COTBP is not Elizabeth's movie, but Barbossa's maybe... Keira isn't in trailer credits, so it can't be her movie, she's just imortant person, but she does nothing

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by willofthewisp

Yep...still think we could wound up finding out that all of this is just one big dream's of Elizabeth....I mean it would make sense....every man she comes across is madly in love with her and wants her, she's pretty much the only female figure, save Tia and the strumpets (who have cameo appearances)..it starts off like a dream, there are several dream references throughout both movies...maybe she goes crazy and her father puts her on that island ...Just kidding..that would be horrible if all of this was a dream....

Minie Mina
It's no one's movie! It's our movie, damnit!

savvysparrow
Originally posted by Sifzensinril
COTBP is not Elizabeth's movie, but Barbossa's maybe... Keira isn't in trailer credits, so it can't be her movie, she's just imortant person, but she does nothing

Just saying what the writers have said about each of the movies. From a character's perspective, the story is told with Elizabeth's point of view. Look at the way it starts if you don't believe me.

Sifzensinril
Originally posted by savvysparrow
Just saying what the writers have said about each of the movies. From a character's perspective, the story is told with Elizabeth's point of view. Look at the way it starts if you don't believe me.
ah, that's why you mean it, I thought you mean main character

willofthewisp
nice sig, chiki! I love the faces they're making. Great mugshots.

Minie Mina
lol, thank you smile

lady_captinjack
omg, i love ur siggy mina! i just saw the curse of the black pearl trailer and some of the stuff wasnt in the movie or in the delted scenes

willofthewisp
Goign back to the trailers and points of view, I never felt COTBP was Liz's movie, DMC Jack's, and AWE Will's. COTBP to me, is Will's. We see him the most, his character grows the most, he makes these discoveries about his past, etc. DMC also, to me, is Liz's movie. We see her develop and show off her skills and she's one of the heroes instead of a damsel in distress. Also, a major theme of DMC is addressing the nature of her character, like who she really is.

Minie Mina
CotBP was just an introduction of characters. We get to dig up a little on every one's past. Jack being marooned, Will's heritance as a pirate, Liz dream in meeting a pirate.

DMC was more On Liz like willo said. We see her changing from this upperclass chick into a kick ass gal pirate. We see her bloom a bit, waking her sexuality.

AWE, IMO, is going to be more of Jack's. Teague is going to reveal more of Jack's past, we get to know how the mark came about, how Tia and Jack met, etc.

PirateDiva
I noticed that in the DMC trailer....they weren't shy about showing Jack and Liz scenes...as a matter a fact them being together was huge part of the DMC trailer....they showed many clips of them!

and the AWE trailer it's more individual clips of each one except for one major Will/Liz clip which was the kiss, and 1 major Jack/Liz which was the Keep telling urself that Clip!

omg seriously as action packed as the AWE trailer is....it didnt tell us anything except raise more questions!! Grrr!

willofthewisp
I'm guessing there's a lot of line splicing in the AWE trailer meant to tease the audience. It's acting as a combination teaser/trailer. All I know for a fact anymore is that we're going to meet Sao Feng.

Minie Mina
Yeah. I can't wait. I love Chow Yun Fat.

willofthewisp
Yep. That's all we know for sure. Oh yeah, someone stabs a heart and people kiss and alliances are made and broken and there are a bunch of swords and guns, but do we really know anything for a fact?

Chow Yun Fat's in it!

Besides that?

Well, no.

I thought not.

willofthewisp
You know what really would be a great opener for AWE? It won't be, because I'm sure people who have read the script will say it's not, but they should have now grown Liz coming through the fog on a ship singing the song. I think that would just be eerie and very fitting since she's kind of realized her dream by now.

Ericadawn
Maybe she could sing it at the end...

LovelyOne
Trailer 2 has the young Liz singing at the start same with trailer 3.

Also I think its a bit odd how they have told so much of the love story in the 3rd trailer.

savvysparrow
Originally posted by LovelyOne
Trailer 2 has the young Liz singing at the start same with trailer 3.

Also I think its a bit odd how they have told so much of the love story in the 3rd trailer.

WHOA! Lovelyone! We were just wondering about you. How the heck are you?

And I agree with you about the trailer. Perhaps there is still quite a twist left?

willofthewisp
What do you mean, lovelyone? Good to have you back, btw. Missed you. And which love story are you talking about? I find it odd also they would show such a kiss between Will and Liz, but hey, previews have always shown strange things.

Ericadawn
I don't think it's so odd, they kissed in the CotBP trailer, too.

savvysparrow
And in one of the DMC trailers for that matter.

willofthewisp
Very true. I'm convinced. It is a pattern with the trailers.

savvysparrow
To throw us off the scent? Or to prepare us for the inevitable? That is the question.

willofthewisp
I don't know. The only things I can gather from that are that we are not supposed to be surprised by their kiss in anyway because they already show it to us. It's supposed to raise questions, but we're not supposed to go to the theater and be like, "What the hell's happening?"
It could almost be looked at as the great little blurb they do in the DMC trailer where it shows Jack and Liz's almost-kiss. When we saw that, yes, it raised a BUNCH of questions, but we expected it and thought of all these ways in which they would actually "allow" one to kiss the other.
Will and Liz's kiss, for better or worse, is just meant to make us think about their relationship and where it's going. Nothing more.

Ditte3
I'm sorry,maybe I'm wrong but whenewer I see Will and Elizabeth kissing,it seems that she is a bit passive in it.What do you think?

savvysparrow
Mmmmm, I don't know. It doesn't look that passive to me. They're both participating. That might be a little sparrabether wishful thinking. But, no one said that a W/E kiss is such a bad thing. Their story has to be resolved in some way.

Ditte3
Ok,maybe you're right.I'm not against willand Elizabeth together,I just think Sparrabeth is better (for me at least).

savvysparrow
I'm not arguing with you because I agree. It's just, we (meaning the Sparrabethers) have to be careful of setting ourselves up for disappointment. Both sides of the story still have equal play.

Ditte3
That's true.In fact I don't dare to hope a Sparrabeth end inAWE.I want everyone be happy (and of course some Jack/Elizabeth scenes.

Bloomaholic
I don't think it's really possible...how do you think it'll end? Liz and Jack get married and Will is there happily watching? DOUBT IT lol...actually, i have a feeling, there will be closure in the end, but not necessarily a happy ending sad

Ditte3
I can't be real happy end for all three of them of course.It's not my idea:maybe thre would be an end like in Casablanca (Jack being like Rick).The writers said there would be a bittersweet end.

savvysparrow
I think there will be a Casblanca ending as well. Whether Jack is the Rick character or not remains to be seen.

willofthewisp
Bloomaholic, I like your sig!

Passive kisses...I think that damn hat got in the way in Will and Liz's COTBP kiss. She takes off his hat and just holds it at her side which makes her look stiff. I cringe every time I see that.

DMC she doesn't look so passive. It's not that hot, but they're both into it. The AWE kiss, I don't know. It's beautiful, which kills me.

Lilimimi
Does anyone know if there will be a second trailer of AWE ? And when ? I heard it will be released in the end of April... Is it true ? What do you know about it ?

Minie Mina
Originally posted by Bloomaholic
I don't think it's really possible...how do you think it'll end? Liz and Jack get married and Will is there happily watching? DOUBT IT lol...actually, i have a feeling, there will be closure in the end, but not necessarily a happy ending sad

You know better than that. The writers wouldn't be dumb in letting that happen.

willofthewisp
Wonder who/what Jack shot right before he blew on it. Yeah, it's kind of phallic, but it's hot. Sorry.

Minie Mina
*tries not to laugh*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.