A missed opportunity in Iran

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

It's a hobby!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6274147.stm

Ironic how we now, "don't talk to evil", have marines as hostages and the U.S./U.K. are begging for what was offered only a few years ago.

sad "Negiotiate" seems to work best.

ragesRemorse
well, the us does have a negative history with Iran.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

A negative history with Britain didn't hinder you in the War.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

Iran doesnt have nearly as much to offer as an allie. besides, Britain and America seem to share a symbiotic relationship in the modern world.

I'm not saying that a negative history warrants a deaf ear, but i believe it can give it lagitamacy. Iran should have been involved with the diplomatic war strategy from the beginning because now after America pulls out, Iran will probably most likely move into Iran anyway. Countries that share a history that Iran and America do will never be able to truly co-exist. I'm surprised the peace with Russia has lasted this long

Grand_Moff_Gav
America doesn't really have a history with Iran though...America does believe that it has the bloodiest history in the world...

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Such as?

This paralels well with, ''we demand release'' instead of ''lets nagotiate''.

Nagotiations doesn't seem to be in certain politican's dictionaries. Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Excellent point.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Excellent point.

I'm quite sure my negative history he means the American Embassy incident and the Iraq Iran conflict. Not a huge things to let get in the way of peace.

Besides, even if you have a terrible history with a country i.e. Germany and France allowing this horrible history to influence you when faced with diplomacy often endangers peace and the prosperity of both nations in the long run.

Robtard
America doesn't really have a history with Iran though...America does believe that it has the bloodiest history in the world...

Huh? If you recall, one of the reasons the Shah was overthrown was because of his pro-West attitude. America has a history with Iran going back several decades.

Iran's religious leaders simply despise America and the West as it is a direct threat to their theocratic control of the country.

lil bitchiness
Then Shah was replaced with even more brutal and opressive regime, we see today.

Robtard
Then Shah was replaced with even more brutal and opressive regime, we see today.

...and that is one of the reasons American and the West has trouble negotiating with Iran.

It started with this man; Grand Ayotollah Khomeini and continues with his predessors. In the 60's Shah Pahlavi started the "White Revolution" which was to reform and "Westernize" Iran; the religious leaders saw it a "secularist" threat to their control and they started a revolt which ended with the Iran we have today.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5e/Khomeini.jpg/160px-Khomeini.jpg

Alliance
Such as?

Oh, you know...the whole Shah thing.

However, may I point out that Iran's negative history with the US is mostly the US's fault.

Robtard
Originally posted by Alliance
Oh, you know...the whole Shah thing.

However, may I point out that Iran's negative history with the US is mostly the US's fault.

Care to point out some factors? Iran's religious leaders have hated America because the Shah wanted to reform/modernize the country and they saw it as a threat to their control and claimed the Shah was handing the country over to America (evil Western influence) and Israel (evil Zionist).

Alliance
The US installed the Shah. Its not hard to look around the world and see all the US friendly dictators that the US installed...and then see the same in your contry...and get pissed.

Robtard
Originally posted by Alliance
The US installed the Shah. Its not hard to look around the world and see all the US friendly dictators that the US installed...and then see the same in your contry...and get pissed.

The Allies removed his father in 1941 because of fears due to his pro-Axis attitude, Pahlavi was still in-line for the throne; so it's not like they replaced him with an outsider. By all accounts, he would have become the next Shah when his father died or counldn't rule anymore.

ragesRemorse
I'm quite sure my negative history he means the American Embassy incident and the Iraq Iran conflict. Not a huge things to let get in the way of peace.

Besides, even if you have a terrible history with a country i.e. Germany and France allowing this horrible history to influence you when faced with diplomacy often endangers peace and the prosperity of both nations in the long run.

My view probably doesnt have much validity other than just being an opinion. I just think that our two cultures clash in a way that will never allow for lasting peace, no matter how much we would cater to each others way of life. Iran dislikes America as much as we do them. I think the only reason the western civilization has held peice with the middle East as long as it has is due to trade. Britan should boycot Iran by not importing their oil. that may give the iranians reason to return their prisoners.

chithappens
Not to mention the espionage missions of Central America also. The U.S. has done this everywhere (even China had the open bank notes; then again, everyone did that in Asia). Everyone hates our political regimes but can do next to nothing because of military strength.

ragesRemorse
thats right, put your guns away bow down and eat some dirt because america is rollin through and we dont care who gets dead, as long as the target falls in the process. it used to be that way atleast, starting to change with the age of media surveilance.

chithappens
LOL, now they are gonna lump us all under the "America is great! **** the rest!" attitude.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by chithappens
LOL, now they are gonna lump us all under the "America is great! **** the rest!" attitude.

thought i was already there laughing out loud

chithappens
did you tell them about our awesome nukes? we are gonna take em all and make em ours! who cares if it's hypocritical? we're America!!!

(someone is so gonna take this seriously)

Grand_Moff_Gav
America's peaked, and is on the way down now, China or EU is going to be the next superpower.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.