Star Wars Vs. Star Trek (with a twist)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tiberius
Which franchise has stood the test of time best?

Before anyone starts, I love both!

=Tired Hiker=
I think Star Trek has definately stood the test of time since it came out way before Star Wars and has so many spin offs, but Star Wars has stood the test of time as well, especially since it changed the way space movies were made effects wise, etc. Even Star Trek was influenced by Star Wars, and vise versa. I voted Star Wars though because it appeals to a wider range of audience where Star Trek is more of a cult thing.

Count Makashi
I think SW, the new ST weren't received wery well (but i lived the new ones with Archer) and many still consider ST more geeky. And SW has more fans then ST, but i also love both.

Strangelove
Star Wars. Star Trek has more or less been relegated to the realm of cultdom, while Star Wars is still mainstream. I'm sure people recognize "May the Force be with you." over "Live long and prosper." Darth Vader has entered pop culture legendary status, and I can't name a single Star Trek villain to save my life.

Star Wars, hands down.

xEsaulx
I can't honestly put a fair vote in since I haven't given Star Trek a chance yet.

Tiberius
Originally posted by Strangelove
Star Wars. Star Trek has more or less been relegated to the realm of cultdom, while Star Wars is still mainstream. I'm sure people recognize "May the Force be with you." over "Live long and prosper." Darth Vader has entered pop culture legendary status, and I can't name a single Star Trek villain to save my life.

Star Wars, hands down.

http://img289.imageshack.us/img289/6529/cdf47pz.jpgt

Ushgarak
Yeah, I mean... bits of original Trek hold up well, but when you see the hippie episode...

Really, much as I am a universal geek, Star Wars has a more timeless quality to it.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Strangelove

Star Wars, hands down.

Very well said.

Star Trek has always appeared very dated to me.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Count Makashi
I think SW, the new ST weren't received wery well (but i lived the new ones with Archer) and many still consider ST more geeky. And SW has more fans then ST, but i also love both.

Its obviously a tie. Both have stood the test of time. All six Star Wars movie great. I don't believe what critics say. I have loved Star Trek since a I was a little kid. My fave Star Trek is Star Trek:TNG. I dod not care for the lost in space version of Star Trek even after Jeri Ryan came aboard. Enterprise was just atrocious.

ragesRemorse
Today when i watch star wars i am set beside myself less than i am when watching the original star trek series.

vader11
Star Wars.

Alliance
Star Wars as well. I think it has a lot more staying power to it. We'll continue to see it be popular over the next decade or so.

pr1983
Originally posted by Tiberius

considering trek has had to last, what, ten years longer than star wars, i think its doing pretty well... even with the relatively poor showings of voyagers later seasons and enterprise, there was still little hesitation in bankrolling a new trek movie...

star wars will always appeal to a bigger audience, but that doesnt necessarily mean it will last longer... star trek, imo will always have a devoted following...

i can see both lasting for a long, long time... but they'll both need work to keep up with the times...

nbgoku
i vote star wars

but star trek is probably more realistic or more resembles our life (not sure though)

ADarksideJedi
Star wars is number one!jm thumb up

fanboy 1988
Movie wise, Star Wars takes this one, I know episode 1 and 2 sucked, but episode 3 was pretty cool. Video game wise, Star Wars has had WAY better video games, Knights of the old republic is one of the greatest games I've ever played,.. T.V wise, Strek Trek would take them, even though new episodes ain't very good.

~Forever*Alone~
star trek. startrekstartrekstartrek

what can i say, im a fan.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by fanboy 1988
Movie wise, Star Wars takes this one, I know episode 1 and 2 sucked, but episode 3 was pretty cool. Video game wise, Star Wars has had WAY better video games, Knights of the old republic is one of the greatest games I've ever played,.. T.V wise, Strek Trek would take them, even though new episodes ain't very good.

No matter how you look at it.Star wars always takes the cake!jm laughing

Devil King
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
No matter how you look at it.Star wars always takes the cake!jm laughing

I find your logic laughable. I agree with your conclusion, but have serious isues with the path you took to reach it.

ADarksideJedi
I am fine now.Had abit too much caffine abit hiper.JM

MadMel
i say SW, it has a massive fanbase, and probably will for a long time

vintageSW77
For anyone whose interested in Behind the Scenes Star Wars OT images

A NEW HOPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOBg5L8G8Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoh72z_MEkY

EMPIRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRj_ApqrBYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ggj0U02aOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJJGRyJqDQ

JEDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zCtsRpj6fc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3nzvHD9au4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBJN0BOvqKo

Soljer
This is nothing but a popularity contest.

Might as well have just asked "Which do you like better?"

darthmaul1
I do like both, all the star wars movies are great, the clone wars show was good hope the cg version is good too. and the TV live action show is good.

star trek is good too the original and next generation, DS9 wasn't good till the war (there is that word WAR) with the dominion. and voyager sucked the whole way with captain helium, Jeri Ryan added some eye candy to it but nothing to make me watch it religously? and I did enjoy enterprise until they butchered the final episodes to end it quick.
the best episode of that one is in the mirror darkly, the alternate universe 2 part episode, with the war (there's that word again) with the rebels.

go here to see star wars vs star trek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhrPaaCA4

ragesRemorse
Is there really going to be a live action star wars show? I mean i know there are respectable sites saying that it is due out in 2009, but lucas and company have done nothing but deny this. I thought he there was just going to be two one hour tv movies. Has there been anything that has come from lucas industries saying there is going to be a live action tv show?

BlaxicanHydra
Yeah, there is. It's going to be a one hundred episode series, I think.

exanda kane
100 episodes of bad writing roll eyes (sarcastic)

Count Makashi
You are a defiler, you must pay a price. stick out tongue

exanda kane
Well I wouldn't be so hideously annoying if Lucas hadn't made such a botched job of the PT. Blame him laughing out loud

darthmaul1
The PT was just as good as the OT in my opinion, let me ask you this exanda kane. Do you own the PT? if not then you can say that Lucas bothced it. if you do own it you can't say he botched cause obviously you liked them enough to buy them.

LastdaysofKMC
Originally posted by Tiberius

Good point Tman... I wonder if you will ever return?

farsight
i am a star wars fan and , even if i don't like star trek , i recognize a few things.
star wars in a "heroic-fantasy-space opera" , star trek is a sort of "space-opera" , this is very different , and as so , it would be rather curious to compare the two , like comparing Songoku (dragonball ) and super man ...you cannot compare two things that have only a fews things in common (in this case, for SW and ST , space ships and aliens...) but a big bunch of differences:

SW technology is "magical" , not logic , and most of the time , quite illogic.tactics are derived from medieval age, at best ( giant battleships bombing themselves at close range ??? soldiers in close formation under enmy fire ??? silly at best ! and so on )There is magic (the force) , super villains , good guys and bad guys.Evil is evil , good is good (no reflexion , except with Vader's case ,about the thin line between evil and good , or about doing bad for a greater good (rebels for exemple , are never presented for what they are : a terrorist organisation , they bomb cities , kill thousand of soldiers etc etc , they do it for the greater good , but they remain what they are : rebels,milicians , demaguogues ).Aliens/humans are everywhere mixed (except in the Palpatine empire , of course, but it is an exception, even among the sith empires)Star wars is all about style , not thinking .

ST technology and tactics are logical , efficient and less"holliwoodian",
there are no villains (real bad people that are bad because...they are bad (typical of america and impossible to find in europe or japan) there are people that get angry for good(or bad) reasons , but there is a reason.Aliens and humans meet , but find each other disgusting (logical) and rarely mix.Wars are the extension of these relations.
ST is a real SF story , about thinking , not style.

I prefer SW , even with it's many flaws , because , if star wars is heroic-fantasy disguised in sf , it remains that it is a good heroic-fantasy tale(execpt for episodes 1-2-3 that are stupid films for children and stupid people).
I don't like ST because i have read I.Asimov's, K.Dicks',C.Simak's,A.E. Van Goght 's .... books , and i have come to the conclusion that ST is science fiction for children.SF's soul is in books.So , watching ST is a waste of time.....i am not even speaking of the ships/costumes/characters designs/... that are ...a joke !

Darth Creasy
Being a fan of both for different reasons, I find it interesting that the majority of you consider Star Trek more cultish than Star Wars. Couple of things to consider that effectively counterpoint that viewpoint:

1. Star Wars doesn't exist w/o both the Jedi and Sith...two cults. And it's not just enough to classify them as cults. The ideologies of both are the epitamy of what it means to be a cult. Examples are too numerous to list when you have to be in the office at 1.

2. Several nations census bureaus actually list Jedi as a religion, because for years so many would write Jedi in the "Other" section of the form.

3. Star Wars Fans are so fanatical, a large number actually contemplate The Force. It's most often capitalized in the same fashion as the word God. And they equate and explain real life happenings with the will of The Force, in much the same way Christians say things like "We can do all things through Christ" or "The Lord moves in mysterious ways".

Star Trek on the other hand is about an "enlightened humanity", with no need for religion or cults because virtually everything has been explained already thru science. And they fanatically seek to expand their knowledge of the universe thru science. So really, their all geeks! And geeks aren't cool, right?

Lastly, to the original question posed as to which has better stood the test of time...Star Wars with ease. Star Wars has iconic elements that has and will always appeal to the next generation of us. Star Wars has LIGHTSABERS! And The Force and Darth Vader and a backstory (EU) you can expand on exponentially. And most importantly a continuing battle between good and evil. Star trek has nothing that counters any of those, so despite being the older franchise, it's not the powerhouse that Star Wars is. erm

BetrayedUnicorn
Originally posted by exanda kane
100 episodes of bad writing roll eyes (sarcastic)

And bad acting,most likely

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.