Neo Geo Battle Coliseum- Is it good ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
So is worth it to buy or just a hire ??

Just that i saw it at for $20 and usally games for that much are kinda crap

SaTsuJiN
I want neo battle coliseum dernit >_<

it hasn't been released in america though

as for whether its worth it, here are some youtube vids :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8f0B5AiUWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_oibgLJ55A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYEE-3ttWYA

I havent been able to play it yet personally, or I'd offer a comment
but it looks good IMO

Emperor Ashtar
Yeah, it is worth it.

SaTsuJiN
Does anyone know a good way to go about getting it?

I dont have many options as an east coaster in the U.S. cry

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Does anyone know a good way to go about getting it?

I dont have many options as an east coaster in the U.S. cry
Are you kidding me, as an east coaster you should go to Chinatown,NYC.

brainchild81
Originally posted by Kazenji

Just that i saw it at for $20 and usally games for that much are kinda crap It's good & has an awesome line up. Even though there are some people they left out & some they should have left out.

Kazenji
Sounds good just might be worth the $20 then.

Darth Jello
no King? She's like, the best SNK fighter

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
Are you kidding me, as an east coaster you should go to Chinatown,NYC. Yeah but my ps2 isn't modded.. and I'm not very handy at opening / soldering stuff

messed

on a side note.. I wish they would make each character look like they're from their country of origin... so many asian characters having the same features as european kind of bites the diversity in the arse .. I mean tekken had it to a degree.. jin looks asian and paul looks euro.. I think 2d fighters should attempt that as well.. (you know whenever they start leaving the 16 bit engine alone erm )

Emperor Ashtar
Yeah but my ps2 isn't modded.. and I'm not very handy at opening / soldering stuff

messed

on a side note.. I wish they would make each character look like they're from their country of origin... so many asian characters having the same features as european kind of bites the diversity in the arse .. I mean tekken had it to a degree.. jin looks asian and paul looks euro.. I think 2d fighters should attempt that as well.. (you know whenever they start leaving the 16 bit engine alone erm )

Well, I don't belive you can look a nationality. Since a nationality is not the same as an ethnicity. China alone has 50 ethnic groups, which do not look the same. Yet, they are all chinese and let's not froget different people have different characteristics in general.

SaTsuJiN
Well, I don't belive you can look a nationality. Since a nationality is not the same as an ethnicity. China alone has 50 ethnic groups, which do not look the same. Yet, they are all chinese and let's not froget different people have different characteristics in general.

thats what I meant.. looking native (not just being born there / being a citizen of said country) to that particular country. I mean its kinda wacky to see Kim Kap Hwan as your next challenger "from korea", or even ryu hailing "from japan" and some european-looking dude steps out. America on the other hand is more like the conglomerate of different ethnicities that you speak of, so it would make more sense to see an asian or islander-spanish be labeled as american (to me at least).

I know its possible for the different ethnicities to hail from those particular countries, but I think the character bio (and character design) should specify, and I feel it would add more dimension to the character. It's more of a 'pay homage to' for me than anything... I mean imagine they said elena was an african princess from nairobi.. and then some white chick pops out.. its like o_O what the? But your point about having different characteristics does save it somewhat

of course though you have the quirks of artistic freedom (to portray them however you like), but I'm just being picky about staying close to the source material

Emperor Ashtar
thats what I meant.. looking native (not just being born there / being a citizen of said country) to that particular country. I mean its kinda wacky to see Kim Kap Hwan as your next challenger "from korea", or even ryu hailing "from japan" and some european-looking dude steps out. America on the other hand is more like the conglomerate of different ethnicities that you speak of, so it would make more sense to see an asian or islander-spanish be labeled as american (to me at least).
I don't see the problem, many asians dye their hair and have fair skin. So, I see how people can get them confused with europeans. Besides, it's difficult and futile to tell traits in an animated medium.

I know its possible for the different ethnicities to hail from those particular countries, but I think the character bio (and character design) should specify, and I feel it would add more dimension to the character. It's more of a 'pay homage to' for me than anything... I mean imagine they said elena was an african princess from nairobi.. and then some white chick pops out.. its like o_O what the? But your point about having different characteristics does save it somewhat

Doesn't matter to me, anime and japanese video games do not even use realistic traits to begin with.

SaTsuJiN
Combo Exhibition :

DvfHBlnceQM

Emperor Ashtar
I remeber this vid.

EDIT: I wish this game had a striker system though.

brainchild81
I must agree w/Sats on this ethnic thing. I'd be nice to see an asian character looking asian. It's not a huge deal, but it does make me wonder if the Japanese have a negative self-image.Rock Howard combo

Kazenji
Got the game, Only thing i have against it is some of the sprites for the fighters look out of place especally Cyber woo for one.

SaTsuJiN
well he's one of the chars that hasn't seen a game since god knows when...so he caught a revamp...wish they did a sprite revamp for everyone though.. at least the people who's sprites are 5+ years old

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by brainchild81
I must agree w/Sats on this ethnic thing. I'd be nice to see an asian character looking asian. It's not a huge deal, but it does make me wonder if the Japanese have a negative self-image.Rock Howard combo

I don't think that they have a negative self image. japanese characters tend to dye their hair many different colours and wear contacts. Not to mention that anime gives characters a wide assortment of chracteristics and in an animated medium it's difficult to tell ethnic groups apart. Unless you go by western stereotypes or if the medium allows it. For instance, I could tell you that jin kazama seems to be decended from an east asian ethinic group due to certain features I.E. eye's and jet black hair,But a chracter like Yugi Motou would be harder.

Not to mention that race/ ethnicity is a construct, so not everthing is in black and white.

SaTsuJiN
I dunno, I think in the cases like Yugi... he is only given a japanese name because the characters were created by a japanese and aired on japanese tv (I guess it has a manga too? /shrug), and its more familiar to the ear there.. like how Ash Ketchum's name is Satoshi in japan... I'm sure some american comic books have characters that mirror this method of creation

Emperor Ashtar
I dunno, I think in the cases like Yugi... he is only given a japanese name because the characters were created by a japanese and aired on japanese tv (I guess it has a manga too? /shrug), and its more familiar to the ear there.. like how Ash Ketchum's name is Satoshi in japan... I'm sure some american comic books have characters that mirror this method of creation

Yeah, but wha about a case where the character lives in a fantasy world? They most likely will not have a japanese name and also sometimes their are japanese characters with europea names.

Brw, does anyone know how to control the volume on youtube without a mouse?

I accidentally put it to zero and cannot put it up sad

Emperor Ashtar
Never mind.

Emperor Ashtar
Never mind.
Nevermind again, I only figured it out with google video. Damn youtube

Kazenji
well he's one of the chars that hasn't seen a game since god knows when...so he caught a revamp...wish they did a sprite revamp for everyone though.. at least the people who's sprites are 5+ years old

Agreed there. At least get the quality of the sprites on par with capcoms ones in their 2D fighting games

Kazenji
Had a look at the trailer for SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom which i've also seen for $20 out my way, The animation for the sprites seem to be better.

SaTsuJiN
:O I would only get SVC chaos if you really enjoy SNK gameplay...
the capcom characters dont feel as though they play normally

I'm dont think it was too well received, publicly speaking

I do own it and had some fun... but all my friends hate it lol, so now its just collectin' dust

Kazenji
Well for 2d fighters i've allways been a streefighter fan and yea i'm just trying some of the Snk stuff out. I'll probably get KOF 02 next if i can find it it has some fairly good reviews that one.

Emperor Ashtar
SVC:ASS is very garbage game which has nothing to do with snk gameplay, but pure crap.

SaTsuJiN
SVC:ASS is very garbage game which has nothing to do with snk gameplay, but pure crap.

not that I disagree.. but what do you mean, had nothing to do with snk gameplay? to me it felt like a stripped down KoF (with exceeds being the old KoF 95 style supermoves)

Emperor Ashtar
not that I disagree.. but what do you mean, had nothing to do with snk gameplay? to me it felt like a stripped down KoF (with exceeds being the old KoF 95 style supermoves)

I think that's why it was so bad, snk really needs to do something besides KOF. with the exception of 98/2k2, kof is their worst series.

Kazenji
Seen KOF 03 for $49 at my one of the EB stores near where i live, Is it worth it for that price ?

SaTsuJiN
I dont think 03 is worth that much

the best KoF was 96 / 97 for me

Emperor Ashtar
You liked 96?

SaTsuJiN
yeah.. while I sorta like the "time freeze" that starts off supermoves these days... I think it sorta put a damper on the skill

96 had the flash of timestop, but without the actual freeze

that and I absolutely adore how much work went into it... EVERYONE got redone... animations.. specials.. supers.. stages.. music... ugh.. so great

Kazenji
I dont think 03 is worth that much

Don't forget i live in Australia not the US of A.

SaTsuJiN
Don't forget i live in Australia not the US of A.

what do you mean by that?

Kazenji
Different currency of course roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also what are the KOF: Maximum impact games like ?

I've checked some of the reviews for the first one and they pretty much say don't bother with the first go with the second.

SaTsuJiN
Different currency of course roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also what are the KOF: Maximum impact games like ?

I've checked some of the reviews for the first one and they pretty much say don't bother with the first go with the second.

lol.. my friends hate both

MI2 (aka 2006) is just ridiculously biased towards the new characters (especially soiree meira and alba meira... /sigh)

its fun yeah... but its plagued with the typical juggle / abuse that 1 move that does damn-near 10 hits type of gameplay... or the moves that do a short cutscene grab spam (iori comes to mind)

noone plays it with me anymore.. my personal judgement on MI2 and 2003 would be to wait til its 20 US dollars (dunno how the currency is for you)... they arent great enough to spend 40+ US dollars on

xBrjez-V8Os

Emperor Ashtar

of course though you have the quirks of artistic freedom (to portray them however you like), but I'm just being picky about staying close to the source material

I hate to keep constantly bring up this topic about Anime ethnicities, but I've found a way to tell difference between Sinoid (Asians) And Caucasoid race regardless of chracterisitcs, examine skin colour. Regardless of what colour thier hair or eye's are the basic Skin colour will remain the same. Sinoids have have an olive type skin colour while Caucasoid will have a peach type tone.

Emperor Ashtar
Here's an example:

Guess which ethnicity is which by examining Skin Colour, Sorry for the double post.

SaTsuJiN
well according to your post... the upper left would be a Caucasoid, the lower left would be somewhere in between, and the bottom right would be a Sinoid

but to be more clear about what I meant, is better demonstrated through Tekken

You have Paul http://www.jun-shrine.com/characters/body/paul_phoenix.jpg , Jin http://www.jun-shrine.com/characters/body/jin_kazama.jpg , Eddy http://www.jun-shrine.com/characters/body/eddy_gordo.jpg , and Bruce http://www.jun-shrine.com/characters/body/bruce_irvin.jpg

clearly, just by looking.. you dont really need names.. you can come to a fairly close conclusion about their ethnicities

but yeah its hard to display that in the common manga style

Kazenji
Here's an example:

Guess which ethnicity is which by examining Skin Colour, Sorry for the double post.

Good view Emperor Ashtar in that picture laughing

No End N Site
Pretty damn excited this game is commin' to Live. I had it for the PS2 but the damn thing didn't allow use for the analog stick and I need my stick and my D-pad in order to operate at full potential. So I ended up tradin' it in. I'm glad it's commin back and wit a graphics touch up to boot. Can't wait for this motha phucka!

SaTsuJiN
pff.. a graphics touch up.. the visuals are probably the worst thing about this game.. it would take a miracle to make it look good

are there any screens of it touched up yet?

No End N Site
Here's a link to the new NGBC

http://www.destructoid.com/your-first-look-at-neogeo-battle-coliseum-on-xbla-161511.phtml

It looks noticeably better if you ask me.

SaTsuJiN
wow.. I agree.. the only thing now though, is that SNK games are seemingly plagued by horrible netcode.. think they'll shape up for this title?

No End N Site
Or will this game even come to the US? I found out recently that SNK has made alot of XBLA and PSN ports that's not made it over here. At least we got Garou and SS I and II.

No End N Site
Just played it over the weekend. It's pretty much "intact" wit much better graphics and an analog function. Pretty decent purchase.

jinXed by JaNx

Just that i saw it at for $20 and usally games for that much are kinda crap

It's not bad but personally i think, Garou Mow, and King of fighters 98 are much better, especially, Garou Mow

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by No End N Site
Just played it over the weekend. It's pretty much "intact" wit much better graphics and an analog function. Pretty decent purchase. Yeah I checked out the demo.. sprites are surprisingly well done.. but I probably wont be picking it up... I dont really care for the game mechanics.. and the versions of characters in it arent exactly my faves

Blinky
Originally posted by No End N Site
Pretty damn excited this game is commin' to Live. I had it for the PS2 but the damn thing didn't allow use for the analog stick and I need my stick and my D-pad in order to operate at full potential. So I ended up tradin' it in. I'm glad it's commin back and wit a graphics touch up to boot. Can't wait for this motha phucka!

Yeah it really pissed me off when I found out this game (on PS2) didn't work with analog stick. So what I did was buy a PS2 arcade stick, works great, of course if you are not a fan of JAP style Arcade sticks, you're shit out of luck. NGBC is good though, but you have to be a SNK fan to appreciate what they did here.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
It's not bad but personally i think, Garou Mow, and King of fighters 98 are much better, especially, Garou Mow
Of course MOTW and KOF 98 are better. Those two games are probably two of the best and renouned 2D fighters SNK ( or anybody else) ever made. Don't forget about KOF '02, that game f*cking rocked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.