Alanis "My Humps" - Not funny, not cool, not anything

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EPIIIBITES
What a weak attempt at a parady...or a jab...or whatever it's trying to be.

This is so typical Canadian comedy schlock.

Nice try Alanis.

EPIIIBITES
Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g

Quiero Mota
No thanks.

Skeets
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
No thanks.

Cory Chaos
It just goes to show how ****ing ridiculous Fergie's "lyrics" are. I don't have an opinion on the actual song, but the video is a great "snap back to reality".

Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

Not following. It's better than anything Christopher Guest has done in like..a decade, lol.

Victor Von Doom
What a weak attempt at a parady...or a jab...or whatever it's trying to be.

Nice try Alanis. Has its own thread now, though.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
It just goes to show how ****ing ridiculous Fergie's "lyrics" are. I don't have an opinion on the actual song, but the video is a great "snap back to reality".
Yeah, I very much get the satire...it's just not done in a way that's actually funny or clever. It's a joke that dies after the first 10 seconds of watching the video, or a point made that gets old 1/4 of the way through the song.

It's one of those things that when brought up in a conversation, people will say "Oh yeah, that's hilarious"...when they don't realy mean it's hilarious...they basically just mean it's funny that it was done.

And in typical Canadian fashion, humour used through music, tv shows, and movies are just an inferior rehash of stuff that's already been done. It's NOT actually funny...or witty. It's just plain nerdy.

It's got about the same comedic zest as Pink's relentless attempts of typifying "Stupid Girls". Great...we get the point....the Britney's in this world are ridiculous and you're not.

Darth Jello
it's a stupid song by an even stupider band. Alanis was just adding levity, although for some reason, it reminds me of tori amos' cover of smells like teen spirit.

jaden101
i dont think it's funny...but anyone who holds a mirror up to the pop/RnB crap that is pouring out of the US and UK with their cliched videos and idiotic lyrics gets the thumbs up from me

Cory Chaos
..and it seems as if Alanis still has "it". Maybe she grew up like Fiona Apple and ditched the angst.

Df02
It's funny in the way that it needed to be done.

Arctic
Originally posted by jaden101
i dont think it's funny...but anyone who holds a mirror up to the pop/RnB crap that is pouring out of the US and UK with their cliched videos and idiotic lyrics gets the thumbs up from me

Seriously in every video I see they are either holding up cash, sitting in cars or there are women dancing all around....sickening. sick

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Arctic
Seriously in every video I see they are either holding up cash, sitting in cars or there are women dancing all around....sickening. sick

It's mainstream marketing. If people didn't want to see it, they'd stop doing it. The mainstream of every genre is similarly shit.

Burnt Pancakes
Exactly. Most Rock msuic is so cliche that I stopped listening to the crap. Now I only listen to techno no expression

KharmaDog
Yeah, I very much get the satire...it's just not done in a way that's actually funny or clever. It's a joke that dies after the first 10 seconds of watching the video, or a point made that gets old 1/4 of the way through the song.

It's one of those things that when brought up in a conversation, people will say "Oh yeah, that's hilarious"...when they don't realy mean it's hilarious...they basically just mean it's funny that it was done.

And in typical Canadian fashion, humour used through music, tv shows, and movies are just an inferior rehash of stuff that's already been done. It's NOT actually funny...or witty. It's just plain nerdy.

It's got about the same comedic zest as Pink's relentless attempts of typifying "Stupid Girls". Great...we get the point....the Britney's in this world are ridiculous and you're not.

Whether you like it or not, it's exactly what a parody should be. The level of comedy involved is secondary to the point. It's absurd and stupid, that's the point. If she had only done a 10 second video, the point wouldn't be made.

As for your jab at Canadians in general, I'll just put that down to either insecurity, ignorance or the fact that one finds it so easy to make comments about races or nations when they hide behind the anonymity of a username and computer screen.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
..and it seems as if Alanis still has "it". Maybe she grew up like Fiona Apple and ditched the angst.

Actually, Alanis started out going by only her first name and basically being Canada's answer to Tiffany. Basically a late 80's canadian Britney Spears with hair so frightening only Gene Shallot would approve. then she remade herself in 95 to boost what jello biafra calls her "jagged little sales".

i appreciate a lot of the funny and edgy stuff she does but her music is just so bland, sedative, and aimed at profit that sometimes its very hard to do that. It's like if Iggy Pop was in the Dave Mathews Band.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Whether you like it or not, it's exactly what a parody should be. The level of comedy involved is secondary to the point. It's absurd and stupid, that's the point. If she had only done a 10 second video, the point wouldn't be made.

As for your jab at Canadians in general, I'll just put that down to either insecurity, ignorance or the fact that one finds it so easy to make comments about races or nations when they hide behind the anonymity of a username and computer screen.
I'm just saying it fails to be funny...cool...or clever at taking a shot at something that's been made fun of a TON of times. If you're gonna do it again, make darn sure it's something special.

I personally don't find it funny, and I also maintain that it's just plain not funny, meaning it's badly made humour that is neither clever, fully entertaining, or original. It's a lazy attempt at being funny (regardless if some people get a laugh out of it or not... a lot of people like a lot of crap humour).

Her intentions are fine...her execution is horrible, and as a Canadian I see that happen time and time again with the humour in our country...whether it's in music, theatre, or tv/film. It's very often (though not always) contrived and unoriginal...quite embarrassing.

The Barenaked Ladies are embarrassing (and not funny)...You wanna see funny, watch the Windowlicker video by Aphex Twin...that's funny.

SpaceMonkey
I saw the video, and I liked it. Alanis is alot hotter than she gets credit for!

EPIIIBITES
Thought I'd post this here too...

This is funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOzXMk7dJY

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.