Andrew Bynum vs Greg Oden

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
Who is better at this point? Oden is more developed, but Bynum however faces harder competition.

DanZeke25
Oden is 18.......

Darth Martin
I thought they were both 19.

koolruningz
This could a great matchup over the years but its to early to tell who is better all round. Each player has different strengths and weaknesses, Oden is an athletic freak and Bynum is more in the Kareem and Duncan mold. At the moment Oden is a better rebounder and shot blocker and Bynum is better and more polished offensively. Bynum has an array of post moves (which he can thank Kareem for) and gets by on the fundamentals and his shooting touch, defensively he can block and alter shots with his huge wingspan but he doesnt get off the ground like Oden does and doesnt have Oden's timing on shotblocking. Oden is even rawer than Bynum offensively and relies on his athletic ability to jump over his competition, he has shown some basic post moves though and he is only going to get better.
Im really looking forward to these guys going at it for the next decade or so, its been a long time since we've had a couple of great centers of similar ages that you could look at as a rivalry. Hopefully this develops into one.

Myth
Both should beat on their competitors, but Oden's athleticism will take him further than Bynum will ever be (I'm talking future obviously). Right now? Yeah, I'd still take Oden.

teampac08
Bynum's better right now because he's doing ok against nba competition and he has better offensive moves. I see Oden, being more dominant in the future however. He's a lot more athletic and has the stronger body. I remember during the final four when one of the announcers said that he was around 270. That's ridiculous since he appears to be all lean muscle. Bynum is in good shape, but I doubt he's in the same condition as Oden.

teampac08
Actually, when I think about it I dont know who'll end up being better. Bynum has the potential to become a great finesse player. Somewhere around Kareem's or Duncan's kind of play. Oden can become a force. Somewhere around Shaq or Howard, where he just bangs on people in the paint with pure power.

Darth Martin
Oden is the future!

koolruningz
Bynum has the makings of a player with Kareems kind of game, obviously he has a huge disadvantage with the lack of hoops he has played at high school and college level. He is pretty much learning on the fly in the NBA and seems to have hit the "rookie wall" a bit, but he does have a great work ethic and an incredible teacher in Kareem so it looks very promising for the Lakers in the future.
Oden is just raw athleticism, he has that Shaq like game were he just dunks so easily in traffic. The difference between Oden and Shaq is Oden's work ethic, its well known that Shaq isnt a hard worker but with Oden we may just see how far a player like Shaq could have gone. Shaq's had a great career but he could have gone down as the GOAT, he choose not to work on his game and stay in shape like he could have done and consequently isnt even the undisputed greatest center ever.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Both stink. Mr. Bynum has no kind of skills. He has not learned anything from Kareem Abdul-Jabber whatsoever. The Lakers should cut him. Greg Oden showed me absoultely nothing versus the Gators. All he can do is dunk. Oden has no kind of skills either. He should just stay in school and continue losing to Florida.

Myth
Wow, way to show that you have no knowledge of the game.

DanZeke25
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I thought they were both 19.

I thought Bynum was 20.

teampac08
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
Both stink. Mr. Bynum has no kind of skills. He has not learned anything from Kareem Abdul-Jabber whatsoever. The Lakers should cut him. Greg Oden showed me absoultely nothing versus the Gators. All he can do is dunk. Oden has no kind of skills either. He should just stay in school and continue losing to Florida.

Wow, that's the most idiotic reply I've heard in a while. You clearly dont know what talent looks like in basketball.

koolruningz

Wow take off those clown shoes man, you're embarrassing yourself.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by teampac08
Wow, that's the most idiotic reply I've heard in a while. You clearly dont know what talent looks like in basketball.

Bynuim is not a talent whatsoever. Oden should stay in school. All Oden can do dunk. Neither has any skills. If Bynum has talent then why hasn't he learned anything? What constitutes talent? Certainly not dunking the ball on every possession. Thats all Oden can do, He should stay in school and learn more than just dunking.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Myth
Wow, way to show that you have no knowledge of the game.

I have plenty of knowledge of the game, do you? I'm a season ticket holder of the Lakers. Andrew Bynum has no sort of talent except not listening to a legend. As for Oden, He must learn more than just dunking. I don't see the Phoenix Suns trading away Amarie Stoudamire for him.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by koolruningz
Wow take off those clown shoes man, you're embarrassing yourself.

I really doubt if I am doing that. You might be though.

DanZeke25
1) Oden's post game isn't bad, being 18.
2) Ever hear of defense? Or potential? Obviously you haven't.

Also, what do you think of Joakim Noah?

Dr. Strangelove

Please become Lakers GM. I would love to take Bynum off your hands and let him play for the Kings. big grin

Ever hear the words shot blocking? I've heard Mr. Oden is pretty good at it.

Myth
Oden only dunks? LOL! The man's offense is pretty mechanical, but its not all dunking. Have you noticed how skilled he is at that little hook with EITHER HAND? Not many bigs can spin in the post either way and effectively shoot with both hands like Oden can. Hell, he shot a decent ft% with his off hand. On top of that he has excellent timing for rebounds and blocks. I certainly do not see how that is only dunking.

koolruningz
I have plenty of knowledge of the game, do you? I'm a season ticket holder of the Lakers. Andrew Bynum has no sort of talent except not listening to a legend.

What does being a season ticket holder have to do with evaluating talent? There is a reason that the Lakers didnt include Bynum in the Kidd trade and basically labeled him "untouchable", he is what you call raw potential and contrary to what you believe he listens to Kareem just fine. Kareem does nothing but sing his praises when asked about Bynum's willingness to learn and work ethic.
He has already shown that he can play in this league and i dont believe for one minute that he is going to regress over the years. Remember in 2 years time he will be only 21 and physically mature, thats when you can see if he will be strong enough to manhandle his opponents. Right now he is getting by on his tools and Kareem and Phils knowledge, he has shown me enough in his short career to at least buy him some time while he matures into a man.

The_Mayor
Bynum has the potential to be pretty damn good, but so does Oden, we'll see in a year or two. Matters what Oden decides to do.

teampac08
Bynuim is not a talent whatsoever. Oden should stay in school. All Oden can do dunk. Neither has any skills. If Bynum has talent then why hasn't he learned anything? What constitutes talent? Certainly not dunking the ball on every possession. Thats all Oden can do, He should stay in school and learn more than just dunking.

Bynum started getting decent minutes this year. He does pretty good for a 19 year old. The guy has a good work ethic and a mean streak. He demands the ball down low when he gets the chance. You can say that he's no talent when he's in his mid 20s and hasnt learned anything. But with the way things are going, he's progressing really nice. As for Oden, he's just raw power. That can take you somewhere in the league. Look at Shaq. Look at Howard, who's pretty raw as well and he gets 20 and 20 every now and then. Only dunking huh, Oden can also spin in either direction and put the ball in with a mini hook. I think someone else here already stated that though. Seriously, you dont know how to judge big men with talent. You're already complaining about Bynum when this his is first year getting some good minutes do to overall injuries in the team.

The_Mayor
Hes got everything, size, speed, skills, and not to mention heart for the game, thats a big one, because there are so many that just play for money.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Please become Lakers GM. I would love to take Bynum off your hands and let him play for the Kings. big grin

Ever hear the words shot blocking? I've heard Mr. Oden is pretty good at it.

Bynum is a bad shot blocker also. Oden must learn more offensive moves.

LORDSIDIOUS01
What does being a season ticket holder have to do with evaluating talent? There is a reason that the Lakers didnt include Bynum in the Kidd trade and basically labeled him "untouchable", he is what you call raw potential and contrary to what you believe he listens to Kareem just fine. Kareem does nothing but sing his praises when asked about Bynum's willingness to learn and work ethic.
He has already shown that he can play in this league and i dont believe for one minute that he is going to regress over the years. Remember in 2 years time he will be only 21 and physically mature, thats when you can see if he will be strong enough to manhandle his opponents. Right now he is getting by on his tools and Kareem and Phils knowledge, he has shown me enough in his short career to at least buy him some time while he matures into a man.

What raw material? Bynum has no skills. Whatever he has learned from Kareem, it has not transferred onto the court. Teams must win now, not years later. The Detroit Pistons have played very well, ever since Webber joined. Look at The Heat and how they seem to be winning. While the Lakers continue their downward spiral into illusions and delusions of grandeur.

Lord Evolution
They both have a problem getting in mad foul trouble early but we have to look at it like this. Oden has not played a single NBA game yet and he is looking OK in the collegiate level, definitely overrated. Future blah blah blah play a NBA game first then we can talk. I have a problem with the fact that he was labeled the next great big man when he was a junior in high school...please.

Bynum on the other hand has played a couple of NBA seasons and they are basically the same age. I think with the right mentality and the proper PT, he could be a pretty damn good center. He has shown signs of light at the end of the tunnel versus NBA talent and 7 footers. Unlike Oden who did OK in his first year in college against prospects and 6'9 centers.

SpaceMonkey
True, Oden hasn't played against any real challenges yet. If he stays in school he'll be alot better than he would if he came out now. Imagine his power along with a more polished game.... SCARY!!

As for Bynum, I think he's pregressing fine. I think in 2 years he and Yao will be the centers in the Western Conference and the 2 perrenil All-Star Centers(Considering Tim Duncan is really a pwer forward).

teampac08
What raw material? Bynum has no skills. Whatever he has learned from Kareem, it has not transferred onto the court. Teams must win now, not years later. The Detroit Pistons have played very well, ever since Webber joined. Look at The Heat and how they seem to be winning. While the Lakers continue their downward spiral into illusions and delusions of grandeur.

Why would you compare Webber and Shaq to Bynum and Oden. Of course those two got talent as well, but they also got a world of experience under their belts. Like I said, give Bynum and Oden time to progress in their skills. If they dont improve too much by their mid 20's then you can say they have no talent. And why are you comparing Pistons' success to Lakers' recent downfall? They have a better roster and they play in the weaker conference. All they have to worry about is a healthy Heat.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Why would you compare Webber and Shaq to Bynum and Oden. Of course those two got talent as well, but they also got a world of experience under their belts. Like I said, give Bynum and Oden time to progress in their skills. If they dont improve too much by their mid 20's then you can say they have no talent. And why are you comparing Pistons' success to Lakers' recent downfall? They have a better roster and they play in the weaker conference. All they have to worry about is a healthy Heat.

Its easy to compare. Teams want to win right now. Waiting for talent to come may never even happen with Mr. Bynum. He has yet to learn anything from Kareem Abdul-Jabber, yet alone use what has has been taught.. Also as I said, look at Detroit, they want to win now, not later. Keeping Mr. Bynum is a grand mistake.

teampac08
Its easy to compare. Teams want to win right now. Waiting for talent to come may never even happen with Mr. Bynum. He has yet to learn anything from Kareem Abdul-Jabber, yet alone use what has has been taught.. Also as I said, look at Detroit, they want to win now, not later. Keeping Mr. Bynum is a grand mistake.

We're talking about talent not about team's success right now. Look at the Nuggets, Iverson has lots of talent but he's not making that team too great. In fact they were a pretty good team without him before Anthony's suspension. Bynum has a mini hook shot that Jabbar taught him. Bynum has talent, plain and simple. Will he reach his fullest potential is a question. You keep saying he has none whatsoever which makes your knowledge of the game questionable. Besides, Webber doesnt make the Pistons much better than they already are. With or without him, theyre still one of the best teams from the East. Yeah, I'm glad you have no control over Laker management. You wouldve probably done the mistake of trading Bynum for Kidd, who's too expensive, too old, and still wouldnt bring us a championship due to the tougher teams in the west.

koolruningz

If Bynum can average 8pts, 6 boards and 1.6 swats a game while shooting 55% in 20mins a game (in his 2nd yr no less) with "no skills", i think i'll take a chance on him and hope he can double those stats as he gets more experience. Thats not much of a stretch when you consider the limited amount of hoops he has played. I personally think he has alot of skills so i would think those stats would go even higher as he gets stronger and more experienced. I see no reason not to believe he could be averaging 15/18pts, 10/12 boards and 3 blocks a game by the time he is 21 if he keeps improving at the rate he is. Through in a couple of assists as well because he is great at hitting cutters and once he starts drawing double teams he will find the open man.
You say he hasnt learnt anything from Kareem but even as early as last season (his rookie yr) he used a move that Kareem taught him on Shaq where he faked to the middle, spun baseline and dunked. Im sure you saw that one being a season ticket holder and all, so im curious as to where you get this idea that he is incapable of learning anything from Cap.
"Teams must win now"? You sound like a kid who cant wait for Christmas morning. The Lakers are trying to rebuild after the Shaq trade and are doing a decent job. They also have to have an eye on the future because believe it or not there is life after Kobe, Bynum is just too much potential to get rid of for a player who may or may not take us back to the finals. The Lakers dont want to make a mistake like the Blazers did with Jermain O'Neal and trade him away before he has time to develop. Finally the Lakers cant just unload Bynum for because he is only on a rookie contract, if you can find me a player that will guarantee us multiple championships who is still on a rookie contract then i'll pack Bynum's bags myself (bare in mind you have to convince the other GM's to part with their franchise player to). If you cant do that then how can you complain that the Lakers are taking a chance on what could be a very solid center on both ends of the floor given some time?

Friedmeyer22
No Greg Oden is better bcuz i think in a one on one match Oden would dominate he is bigger stronger faster and BETTER tha Bynum

LORDSIDIOUS01
Once again Mr. Bynum has shown me nothing whatsoever. He keeps getting into foul trouble in every game. He is not improving at all. Why is a legend in Kareem Abdul-Jabber teaching him when Mr. Bynum is learning absolutely nothing at all.

Myth
Why would Kareem teach him if he was learning nothing? He wouldn't. Kareem believes Bynum is learning from him and I believe Kareem's opinion over yours.

The_Mayor
Kareem wouldn't teach somebody with no potential.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Myth
Why would Kareem teach him if he was learning nothing? He wouldn't. Kareem believes Bynum is learning from him and I believe Kareem's opinion over yours.

Its true that Kareem is teaching Mr. Bynum, but I ask all of you, What exactly is he learning? I will tell you---Absolutely nothing.

The_Mayor
Quite alot actually.

DanZeke25
Originally posted by B-Ball Star#3
No Greg Oden is better bcuz i think in a one on one match Oden would dominate he is bigger stronger faster and BETTER tha Bynum

Stop mentioning 1 on 1. It means just as much as how much hair the player has.

teampac08
Its true that Kareem is teaching Mr. Bynum, but I ask all of you, What exactly is he learning? I will tell you---Absolutely nothing.

Kareem's already stated that he's improving. Have you not seen the little hook shot that Bynum's been pulling off every now and then? You're expecting Bynum to learn everything so quickly. Like I said give him more time, this is his first year with decent minutes.

The_Mayor
Originally posted by DanZeke25
Stop mentioning 1 on 1. It means just as much as how much hair the player has.

laughing

LORDSIDIOUS01
Kareem's already stated that he's improving. Have you not seen the little hook shot that Bynum's been pulling off every now and then? You're expecting Bynum to learn everything so quickly. Like I said give him more time, this is his first year with decent minutes.

Hook Shot when? He should use this more often. What about the sky hook or jump hook?

teampac08
Hook Shot when? He should use this more often. What about the sky hook or jump hook?

Sky hook? That is one of the hardest shots to master. Why do you think no one really uses it. Like I said before, you want Bynum to learn all these moves so quickly. Why dont you wait for him to progress a few more years. Bynum has talent, if he didnt the Lakers wouldve traded him when they got the chance.

The_Mayor
Everybody is hyping about him being the next Shaq, man I hope so, that will bring major records in our future.

teampac08
Originally posted by The_Mayor
Everybody is hyping about him being the next Shaq, man I hope so, that will bring major records in our future.

He wont be the next Shaq. Shaq had a different skill set and relied more on brute strength. He might, however, become anywhere from a solid center to an all star caliber player. Let's not put him in the same sentence as Shaq yet. The guy has four rings and is a top five center of all time.

The_Mayor
Yeah, I know, I agree with you. But its going to be fun to watch him in the future, and hopefully stays healthy, and can dominate.

koolruningz
Here are a few clips of Bynum that i found at youtube. You can clearly see that the kid has skills and a bucket load of potential, as i've said before he is not going to regress. That means in a couple of years we'll have a very solid 2-way center with a long career ahead of him. If you cant see the potential in this kid you are either blind or just too stubborn to admit you are wrong, either way the Lakers are keeping Bynum so you'll just have to put up with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYePQCZrJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bYSHu9ylMc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTpy9YB1QQ

teampac08
Here are a few clips of Bynum that i found at youtube. You can clearly see that the kid has skills and a bucket load of potential, as i've said before he is not going to regress. That means in a couple of years we'll have a very solid 2-way center with a long career ahead of him. If you cant see the potential in this kid you are either blind or just too stubborn to admit you are wrong, either way the Lakers are keeping Bynum so you'll just have to put up with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYePQCZrJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bYSHu9ylMc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTpy9YB1QQ

Koolruningz, nice find especially the last vid. That clip shows nice footwork from bynum around the rim. And for those who just dont think he's learning from Kareem check the vid. There was about three small hook shots in there. He does a couple of those a game.

koolruningz
Another one of Bynums strengths is his great hands, maybe its because i've seen Kwame fumble so many passes out of bounds but i really noticed that Bynum catches everything that comes his way. Thats an underrated skill in big men and that alone will mean Bynum will score more points.

B-Ball Star#3
Bynum is way better

Dr. Strangelove
Another one of Bynums strengths is his great hands, maybe its because i've seen Kwame fumble so many passes out of bounds but i really noticed that Bynum catches everything that comes his way. Thats an underrated skill in big men and that alone will mean Bynum will score more points.

I would call that a skill as much as a physical gift. For example, Kenny Thomas has one or two tournovers a game because he has small hands for a big man. If he had Chris Webber's hands he wouldn't have those tournovers and would average more points. That was one of the reasons Webber was great, he could catch the basketball no matter how fast it was going or how tough the angle was. Now Webber is 10 times smarter player than Kenny Thomas is but if he had Kenny Thomas's hands, he would struggle with catching the ball. Some players get those extra physical gifts that others don't.

teampac08
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I would call that a skill as much as a physical gift. For example, Kenny Thomas has one or two tournovers a game because he has small hands for a big man. If he had Chris Webber's hands he wouldn't have those tournovers and would average more points. That was one of the reasons Webber was great, he could catch the basketball no matter how fast it was going or how tough the angle was. Now Webber is 10 times smarter player than Kenny Thomas is but if he had Kenny Thomas's hands, he would struggle with catching the ball. Some players get those extra physical gifts that others don't.

There is actually a term for a big man who can catch the ball nicely with his hands. The term is soft hands. Having small hands does affect a lot of low post players but there are some who get by it. Take a look at Elton Brand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.