The Ultimate Summer Movie Season...?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sithsaber408
You know, I've been thinking about this lately... this summer may just be THE BEST SUMMER of movie blockbusters in history.

I remember both of my other two favorite years:

Spiderman: Saw this opening weekend and loved the heck out of it, an awesome film.

Starwars Episode II-AOTC: Saw this opening day, and it was great.

Men In Black II: Not bad, a fun flick with lots of cool CG aliens

Minority Report: Awesome Speilberg adventure set in the future.

Austin Powers in Goldmember: Hilarious, great fun.

The Bourne Identity: Great spy movie.

StarWars Episode III-ROTS: The best of the Prequels and the best SW since ESB. Made the summer and the year for me.

Batman Begins: Total kick-arse restart to the franchise, loved everything about it.

War of the Worlds: Great alien invasion flick from the master Spielberg.

(obviously some of the above films have a different effect seeing them for the first time with a packed summer audience and may not be as great on repeat viewing, but you get the point.) stick out tongue

Now looking at this year, I've already enjoyed 300 as the best war film since Braveheart (Private Ryan I don't count because it's a different time period) and TMNT as the best CG animated film ever... better than The Incredibles, in fact.

But what a summer we have coming up!

May

Spiderman 3- which promises to be the best of the series to date, with the inclusion of a darker storyline, the completing of many character arcs, and the fan-favorite Venom. Opening weekend, for me.

Shrek 3- more for the kids, but the last two were hilarious and great fun to watch. It will do very well with audiences, methinks.

Pirates 3- almost a no-brainer (like Spidey 3), this has an awesome trailer out now, and the fact is that most people are dying to see the conclusion.

June

Simpsons-not going to see it personally, but it looks like it'll be good fun.

Fantastic Four 2- easily written off at first, but with the new preview trailer featuring an exciting chase between Human Torch and Silver Surfer, this film may end being leaps and bounds above the cheesiness of the first. (see X2) I'll give them a second go-round.

Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4)- another one that may have been written off early, the full length trailer just released today promises plenty of R-rated action and explosions courtesy of our old pal John "Yippe-Kai-Yay Motherf*cker" McClain, and an interesting plot of hackers pulling a Y2K on our government to boot. I'm there.

July

Transformers- don't let the talkbackers and forum posters fool you, this is quickly becoming the film to beat. The latest released trailer, TV clips and stills show us the best CG work that ILM has done to date. Period. It's coming to us from Spielberg, and Michael Bay (the Rock, Armegeddon, and The Island..very underrated..) is directing it so we know that given the opportunity he'll make the biggest, slam-bang, kick your tail Transformers movie possible. Opening day, no question.

August

The Bourne Ultimatum- no more need be said.

Rush Hour 3- now I'm a sucker for Chan always and Tucker most of the time. I loved both of the first two and I'll go see this for dumb fun.

Oh, yeah I think there's a Harry Potter in there as well. (june, isn't it?)

So it seems that when all is said and done, we may be in for the best movie summer in history! eek!

Thoughts?

Dusty
It has a lot of sequels, that's for sure.

exanda kane
Yep, remakes and sequels. All we ever get.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.