Guitar guide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bogen
Is there a website anyone knows of with decent instructions on note reading for guitars and general playing?
I would be awfully great full if i got a meaningful response.

ragesRemorse
I've been playing guitar for about four years now. Two sites i have used occasionally have been guitar-dreams.com and guitarnoise.com these sites specialize in tab reading, but i know that i had found some sheet reading tips on there aswell. I am assuming you are looking for online lessons that include guidelines on reading sheet music. I dont know how long you have been playing guitar, i assume you have just started. One thing i will suggest is focus on learning to read sheet music (actual notes) It will benefit you in the long run. Guitar tab is very very easy to read. It's easy enough to read, to where you can play tab inbetween your sheet music lessons.
Playing by reading the music will become hard, but start out fairly easy at first. Tab is much more gratifying in short term, but being able to look at a sheet of music and being ble to play it is one of the most fullfiling expereinces i ever had. your very best bet is going to a library or going to a guitar shop and buying a used intruction booklet. Find a decent set of scales to practice with each day. this helps your hearng the notes and finger action.
If you are the one playing, and need some further tips i'd be happy to try to help. what kind of guitar do you have?

http://guitar-dreams.com/

RedAlertv2
Ultimate-guitar.com

Nellinator
I could e-mail you a pdf copy of a teach yourself guitar book if you want. PM me if you want it.

jaden101
depends what sort of stuff you're playing...i mostly play acoustic and slide so i use this site for free online lessons on scales etc

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page3.htm

vanice
The easiest way I think is to buy a book, or borrow at a library, if you want to learn to play with notes. Nowadays when after I started at a music school and have taken classes i guitar playing, if find it difficult to read tabs. And I really recommend all you guitarists to learn to play with notes. It's necessary when you start playing seriously..

Good Luck

Nellinator
Classical training is indespensible at higher levels I feel if you are working with a trained pianist or vocalist. Harmonizing and whatnot...

If you are all guitars tabs work fine and its a good way to start as you can learn faster and not get discouraged. I learned tabs first while slowly learning notes as I went.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.