Bout to break the forum, and no regrets present

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
Does the fact that Surfer got a powerup, cheapen the victory he might take over Superman?

Since he got a powerup and all?

Symmetric Chaos
huh

Power ups are just part of what happens to characters.

UniOmni
But even myself, it bothers me that sometimes writers resort to powerups, when it seems they lack creativity to work around power gaps.

CasanoVa
No, because he would still beat him prior to the power-up IMO.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by UniOmni
But even myself, it bothers me that sometimes writers resort to powerups, when it seems they lack creativity to work around power gaps.

srug

IMO saying that its cheap for a powered up Surfer to take out Superman is like saying its cheap for Galactus to do it. If he moves up on the power scale he moves up on the power scale.

Its not great writing but its not an earth shaking disaster.

UniOmni
Galactus moving up the powerscale was the result of his character being fleshed out.

Norrin got a powerup, that basically served no purpose at all.
The guys he got the powerup to defeat, walked all over both times.

He beat them with a plot device, and one he could've done prepowerup.

It served no purpose, i'm saying.

It'd be like Superman getting the sundip in OWAW, only to still be too weak to move Warworld.
That's basically what happened in annihilation.

Symmetric Chaos
Galactus moving up the powerscale was the result of his character being fleshed out.

I wasn't talking about Galactus moving up in power I was just saying that it's not cheap for a character to be beaten by someone more powerful than them.

batdude123
Does the fact that Surfer got a powerup, cheapen the victory he might take over Superman?

Since he got a powerup and all?

Well first of all, I don't think he actually got a formal "power up," and even if he did, there's no evidence of it.

Everything he's done in Annihilation is nothing he couldn't have done beforehand IMO.

UniOmni
He released a lock that was keyed to the power level of Thanos. Pretty clear indication there was a powerup somewhere.

batdude123
He released a lock that was keyed to the power level of Thanos. Pretty clear indication there was a powerup somewhere.

Thanos usually beat Norrin's ass down physically when they fought. Not so much about power or energy output.

This so called "power up" of Annihilation is rather ambiguous to me.

CasanoVa
Originally posted by batdude123
Thanos usually beat Norrin's ass down physically when they fought. Not so much about power or energy output.

This so called "power up" of Annihilation is rather ambiguous to me.

Personally I thought it just took away all the inhibitions and mental blocks Surfer probably had to stop him from flipping out. Before he regretted working for Galactus and was extremely peaceful, now he does Galactus' bidding without grudge or grumbling.

It really does remind me of the Ariel/Prospero relationship in The Tempest embarrasment

UniOmni
I'd rather he took away Surfers remorse and lack of decisiveness, but it seemed pretty clear it was an actual powerup.

janus77
the T&A thing was hideous. whatever powerup he's received, it's not really presented itself.

Galactus basically could always endow him with more power, that's the nature of a character who is essentially a creation of Galactus'.

it doesn't detract from the Surfer, just re-establishes what we should always bear in mind, he is as powerful as Galactus wants him to be.

I think they wanted to show just how committed he now was, pretty much along the lines of your desire to see him be more decisive.

that was the most annoying thing about reading Surfer comics for me. not that he had vast - unimaginable - powers, but that he would mope around and act so bloody wuss like.

still it is an opportunity missed. the writers could have shown Surfer making more of a physical contest of it, parrying T&A's attacks and riding through some of the weaker energy blasts, only to eventually succumb to their phenomenal power. then, while facing death, showing his determination to preserve the "consonance" and take out T&A via a suicidal plunge into the Big Crunch.

... a hideous mess up of a glorious opportunity.

that said. Surfer having a power-up after he's shown his "attitudinal upgrade" could provide for some awesome feats in the future. no more moping, bring on the Power Cosmic unleashed... against Storm!!!!

nvrbeenwthagirl
Sufer Getting an Upgrade doesn't really mean he would win any more than Supers as he would without it. Superman gets updrages every day. The more he is exposed to the sun, the more powerful he becomes. Hence why he will become Superman Prime. And Several of His DC counter parts seem to be moving with him in unison of power ups.

tkitna
Originally posted by CasanoVa
No, because he would still beat him prior to the power-up IMO.

thumb up

Validus
Ambiguous feat if I ever saw one.

UniOmni
HATER!

Soljer
HATER!

I don't think anyone here would honestly call me a Silver Surfer hater. I'm a fan of Norrin.

I even posted that particular feat in the respect thread.

But, in the description of the feat, even _I_ said it was ambiguous.

DigiMark007
Not a battle.

Also, it's unclear whether or not theri was a powerup....it's basically a big KMC myth that he's loads better than before.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.