Cosmic Snore Fests

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CasanoVa
I must ask for all those cosmic likers out there (I'm not talking about people like Silver Surfer, Nova, Firelord or the like. I mean things like LT, Inbetweener, Celestials etc.) fans out there just: Why?

I personally find these things beyond deathly boring, I cannot see how anybody out there could find these transcendent beings so interesting and have them be there favourite character.

I'm not critisizing other peoples tastes, I just fail to see why so many people get hung up about it and find it so interesting.

Anybody care to explain?

NiņoAraņa
i agree actually

DigiMark007
Actually, co-signed. It always perplexed me how people could debate for pages over inherently contradictory abstract stuff. And also why they even cared so much.

Validus
Agree. Most of the high tier cosmic beings don't even have an actual character to be a fan of.

King Kandy
As a cosmic guy, I have to say... I have no freaking clue.

I guess it's just that when you've got such high powered beings, all there fights have a "Biggest thing ever" feel. And that they're so beyond the ordinary hero, that even the strongest character gets awed.

Mider999
i like cosmic stuff but what i hate is how they are suppose to defeat everyone its not even consistent though, odin a skyfather who has cosmic power can drive out infinity a cosmic being of eternity level or just under him, oh and surfer he has more durability feets then the guy who gave him his power, even in the recent annihilation, and thanos, everyone he fights the guy has to come out on top or almost on top, just barely losing.

NoFate007
I wouldn't mind them if there were only a few, but they add more and more all the time and it just gets ridiculous. The Living Tribunal is cool, and at one point Galactus meant something big was going down, but you start adding Eternity and Beyonder and blah blah blah...everyone just gets classified as "better than everyone" which is illogical.

CasanoVa
Originally posted by King Kandy
As a cosmic guy, I have to say... I have no freaking clue.

I guess it's just that when you've got such high powered beings, all there fights have a "Biggest thing ever" feel. And that they're so beyond the ordinary hero, that even the strongest character gets awed.

I can see why somebody could like, Galactus say.. Because he has SO many appearances and he's pretty well explained and has quite a good back-story, but alot of the other abstracts have pretty much no character; other than they stand around and talk every now and then.

I couldn't possibly see how the likes of Mr Master & GS can debate about if for page after page after page confused

Martian_mind
Well.......they must be budding philosophers or something?

jumpmann
Annihilation is made to sound like one of the greatest crossovers ever by some of these cosmic nuts...it was slightly above average on a whole.

Soljer
Annihilation was good, but it isn't at the level that the original poster was talking about.

He means oblivion, entropy, eternity, lords of chaos, order, the in-betweener, living Tribunal, etc.

Things that are high on the cosmic ladder.

Endless Mike
I like how they present an aura of grandeur, to show that something is really, really important, on an epic scale.

I mean, who here honestly didn't like Infinity Gauntlet?

King Kandy
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I like how they present an aura of grandeur, to show that something is really, really important, on an epic scale.

That's what I was trying to say.

grey fox
Higher cosmics are ok but there only 'frikkin bad-ass' when they dwarf the known.

IE : The Celestials , Space Gods whom utilise PLANETS as weapons.

Skeets
This is why I'm not much of a Superman fan...ermmnone

Validus
Originally posted by Skeets
This is why I'm not much of a Superman fan...ermmnone
laughing out loud

IG was good but how long ago was that? I think that's pretty much the last time these characters were involved in something interesting.

DigiMark007

Moot point. I did too, but it had interesting characters and plot...which had very little to do with the ever-boring abstracts. Adam Warlock and Thanos carried that arc on their backs. I can't remember 1 interesting thing that happened in the "abstract pantheon"...and the battles were cool, but you don't need universe-destroying battles for it to be meaningful. The story was simply done well.

Mider999
galactus use to be the greatest power in the universe when he first came out according ot the watcher i believe the only time he got owned was when he fought the beyonder.

Endless Mike
Actually, Galactus was originally supposed to be less powerful than Odin (back in the 60s, Odin was stated to be the strongest being in Marvel)

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by CasanoVa
I must ask for all those cosmic likers out there (I'm not talking about people like Silver Surfer, Nova, Firelord or the like. I mean things like LT, Inbetweener, Celestials etc.) fans out there just: Why?

I personally find these things beyond deathly boring, I cannot see how anybody out there could find these transcendent beings so interesting and have them be there favourite character.

I'm not critisizing other peoples tastes, I just fail to see why so many people get hung up about it and find it so interesting.

Anybody care to explain?

To be honest the same can be said for other charcters, i just can't see why people would find characters like, batman, spiderman and wolverine interesting no offence. But like you said everyone has their own tatses.

i just find them as better characters and bigger/more involved stories and shit blowing up, if something was to happen with the cosmic charcters it would have or potentially effect on the whole universe not just America, thats what probablty draws me to it.

xmeat
marvel abstracts tend to not get involve as much as dc abstracts.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by xmeat
marvel abstracts tend to not get involve as much as dc abstracts. blink

Juntai
marvel abstracts tend to not get involve as much as dc abstracts. Oh yeah?

Validus
Originally posted by HigH ScholaR
To be honest the same can be said for other charcters, i just can't see why people would find characters like, batman, spiderman and wolverine interesting no offence. But like you said everyone has their own tatses.

i just find them as better characters and bigger/more involved stories and shit blowing up, if something was to happen with the cosmic charcters it would have or potentially effect on the whole universe not just America, thats what probablty draws me to it.
Really? Right now, Dormammu's sister (whatever her name is) has the power and status of Eternity and nobody at Marvel seems to give a crap.

I understand your point though.

marvel abstracts tend to not get involve as much as dc abstracts.
I bet you couldn't even name DC's abstracts.

xmeat

NiņoAraņa
am i wrong i wouldn't know, i don't keep track of cosmics and stuff.....

just that you never make well spelled posts, and it sounded like it was right....

idk

xmeat
Originally posted by Validus

I bet you couldn't even name DC's abstracts. bet you i could.

jumpmann
Originally posted by Mider999
galactus use to be the greatest power in the universe when he first came out according ot the watcher i believe the only time he got owned was when he fought the beyonder.
Galactus has been owned countless times by a countless amount of people.

xmeat

CasanoVa
just think we hardly ever see LT or eternity
but spectre freaking always around.

Idiot, I bet you can't even name 10 DC Cosmics with atleast 5 appearances.

Marvel's cosmics are common place, before annihilation you could bump into one every other street in space.

Yes.. streets in space wink

xmeat
Idiot, I bet you can't even name 10 DC Cosmics with atleast 5 appearances.

Marvel's cosmics are common place, before annihilation you could bump into one every other street in space.

Yes.. streets in space wink true but dont call me an idiot and i bet you i can.

Thanos_THOTU

CasanoVa

{{QS}}
I liked Beyonder (Pre-retcon), but i like it when low-level cosmics fight high level earth-heroes, as you see a side to that charcter.

Mider999
ok this is how it works, surfer can take a planet destroying blast from korvac and not feel it yet you see him being controll by a freaking slug in planet hulk. You'll see him fly through space and be able to servive the center of stars, but beings higher then him have died in nuclear blasts, such as tyrant, and omega the clone who was stronger then galactus. Thanos is just an eternal he smacks around surfer ok whatever surfer is a faction of galactus power is he not, but then you see him fighting odin and actually being able to take the onslought, what utter bull, i liked the storyline where galactus was basically eating everything and everyone, and just one of his heralds equaled king thor, galactus then ate asgard, all the other cosmics had to gather to try to stop him, though its dumb to see reed richards harm them or even try to harm galactus. In a what if the avengers who are not that big on brains from what the comic showed fought galactus and would have probably died if not the watcher intervined but the watcher died anyway and galactus let earth live out of remorse, but in the original we know that he was stoped only because reed richards was smart enough to threaten him with the ultimate nullifier.

xmeat
Originally posted by Mider999
ok this is how it works, surfer can take a planet destroying blast from korvac and not feel it yet you see him being controll by a freaking slug in planet hulk. You'll see him fly through space and be able to servive the center of stars, but beings higher then him have died in nuclear blasts, such as tyrant, and omega the clone who was stronger then galactus. Thanos is just an eternal he smacks around surfer ok whatever surfer is a faction of galactus power is he not, but then you see him fighting odin and actually being able to take the onslought, what utter bull, i liked the storyline where galactus was basically eating everything and everyone, and just one of his heralds equaled king thor, galactus then ate asgard, all the other cosmics had to gather to try to stop him, though its dumb to see reed richards harm them or even try to harm galactus. In a what if the avengers who are not that big on brains from what the comic showed fought galactus and would have probably died if not the watcher intervined but the watcher died anyway and galactus let earth live out of remorse, but in the original we know that he was stoped only because reed richards was smart enough to threaten him with the ultimate nullifier. tyrant was killed by the un.

Endless Mike
Just a nitpick, but the spontaneous fission of the entire mass of 2 planets (which is what happened in the Omega story) would release far more energy than the center of a star would normally

Mobra
Lol. You can nitpick all you want, crazy shitty stuff happens in street level stories just as often.

Accel
bet you i could.
Damn, you sure proved him wrong.

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by Mobra
Lol. You can nitpick all you want, crazy shitty stuff happens in street level stories just as often.

UniOmni
I only like cosmics who have an interesting origin, or purpose.

Celestials who're meant to seed the universe, and are the dreams of Eternity.

Abraxas, since he's intricately tied to Galactus, the best cosmic character evah@!

Galactus.........the premiere!

DigiMark007
But why is Galactus cool? What does he do that makes him interesting...at all. Epic power scale seems to be the lone draw. As a character, he's kinda crap.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by DigiMark007
But why is Galactus cool? What does he do that makes him interesting...at all. Epic power scale seems to be the lone draw. As a character, he's kinda crap.

Because he's got a giant tuning fork on his head, obviously.

Happy Dance

boriquaking55
Great thread. I agree, I roll my eyes at a lot of the pointless abstract/cosmic threads that go on and on. Seriously, who cares. High end cosmics are boring and vague. People have too much time on their hands.

GET A F'N JOB, I say to all that.

UniOmni

Why is any character well recieved?

Something about him gets me.

His presence, his history and his future.

You see Galactus in space, a giant Spacegod with weird eyes, and flamboyant colorschemes. His helmet, his grandiose first person speak.

Dude is just top of the line.

And if epic powerscale was all that people who like cosmics went for, Beyonder would be hella popular.

Validus
Galactus and The Spectre are about the only mainstream cosmics that have a character to speak of. That's not counting some other guys like Lucifer and The Endless.

WorldWarHulk
Originally posted by jumpmann
Galactus has been owned countless times by a countless amount of people. OK, name them.

Thanos_THOTU
How can a guy that dares to wear pink tights and armor not be cool?

DigiMark007
The Endless are amazing because they're great characters. Gaiman gave them substance, not a tuning fork for a head and plot device abstract powers. I can't really say the same for most cosmics....who are mainly there when it wouldn't be feasible to have earth-based characters re-writing the cosmos and such, or when they want to stroke Reed Richards' intellect by having him "beat" Galactus or some other cosmic.

starlock
Mainstream heroes we know about,we can relate,we share their pain and joy and everyday coming and goings,they will always be more popular

I like to equate this to Superman-i would like to see him in space more often why? the Unknown

Abstacts are mysterious and aloof,unpredictable,they bring out the explorer the desire to know the mysteries of godhood,supreme power and knowledge, what is out there in the universe,multiverse,omniverse
thru them we can see the meaning behind events,we can see the potential for our heroes, to know there is somthing bigger than us(surfer,quasar,etc)

Without good writing i agree anything is going to be a boring contrived piece of garbage with flashy art, it happens hehe

Alfheim

Anybody care to explain?

Agreed.

willRules

I agree plus his justification for consuming planets is that he is above the concepts of good and evil, which is a very similar attitude people take when they know they are doing wrong but want to deny it for comfort yes

-a-m-a-n again
But doesn't everyone enjoy, My God is better than your God, type Debates. Infinity vs Infinity is always a good way to spend ones time.

Mider999
but its true my God the real God is better then any God..............not joking but being serious........but yeah your right when it comes to comics its pointless to say oh this guy is omnipatent, because the label of omnipatent goes everywhere, only God is omnipatent and has proved it countless of times.

Rick/Genis
Honestly... the way I think about it is this..

They Present some form of interest in that they are Quite Mysterious as characters. Things like "THEY CAN DO ANYTHING" appeal to some... but that's about as far as it goes. As far as forum battles go... I won't really even go into those anymore... they're the most boring ping pong banter I've ever read.

I like the characters in comics... but I don't really want to discuss them.

Mider999
i dont like the fact that these "can do anything characters" can do all this stuff then you see them having trouble with the likes of dr doom, or black panther, surfer took a blast from korvac that can destroy planets but he got knocked down by doom, then in planet hulk he's being controlled by a slug, and in an upcoming problem he's having to fight black panther but whatever i guess black panther is now the batman of marvel meaning he must have massive prep time.

willRules
Originally posted by -a-m-a-n again
But doesn't everyone enjoy, My God is better than your God, type Debates. Infinity vs Infinity is always a good way to spend ones time.

That's why I go to Bible studies where I can discuss real issues involving God, not a comic book yes

King Kandy
Originally posted by willRules
That's why I go to Bible studies where I can discuss real issues involving God, not a comic book yes
Real issues, eh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

willRules
Originally posted by King Kandy
Real issues, eh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't want this to turn into a religious debate but if you re-read my last post, I know there is a lot to read there but you'll manage it, I think you will find the word "real" yes

CasanoVa
Originally posted by willRules
I don't want this to turn into a religious debate but if you re-read my last post, I know there is a lot to read there but you'll manage it, I think you will find the word "real" yes

Should of just called him a "Wanker" and be done with it wink

Skeets
Originally posted by Validus
Galactus and The Spectre are about the only mainstream cosmics that have a character to speak of. That's not counting some other guys like Lucifer and The Endless.
Agreed.Spectre's books have some of the best stories around,thanks to Ostrander's great writing.

willRules
Should of just called him a "Wanker" and be done with it wink

laughing

I think if I said that I might be dealing with slightly more than a religious debate, laughing I don't plan on getting in trouble with anyone on these forums or otherwise yes

But more to the point, I just read recommendations of Spectre. Does anyone know if it has great plot devices or something? cos I haven't read any spectre stuff and I have heard nothing but good reviews. I usually enjoy the fight scenes in comics, does Spectre deliver in terms of action?

Juntai
Originally posted by Skeets
Agreed.Spectre's books have some of the best stories around,thanks to Ostrander's great writing. cosign

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.