latest Mortal Kombat games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

braz
There's a problem IMO with all the new MK games, that despite them being 3d, being able to dodge attacks with a circular arena, konquest mode and whatnot, I miss seeing Reptile in his human form. I liked him much more this way, and miss the old MK days, and I wish they would rebirth a modernized human look for Reptile as the green ninja as he was originally portrayed, and with all the other characters to have their original fatalities, and not all these new ones that suck IMO and 'create a fatality', forget that crap. anyone else agree??

Burnt Pancakes
No. I loved the CaF feature, and the 3d'ness.

braz
Well yeah, CAF is okay, and of course I like the 3dness alot more like you do, but I just wish the would bring back all of the original fatalities in Deception and Armageddon.

SaTsuJiN
I wish they released a remake of MK1 and MK2 in 3d but with 2d gameplay....before all the dial-a-combo trash started

JacopeX
3D was awesome aswell. I played Mortal Kombat since MK1 and I have been satisfied with each and every game Midway has gave all the MK fans. When MK went 3D, it was great. My favorite one out of all the MK games had to be MK trilogy, MK gold, and MKA. big grin

I really dont see why all of you have such a hate against the 3D games and start to be such smarks about it. I find it pathetic.

juggernaut66666
MK Armageddon was sweet!

Otus

braz
Originally posted by JacopeX
3D was awesome aswell. I played Mortal Kombat since MK1 and I have been satisfied with each and every game Midway has gave all the MK fans. When MK went 3D, it was great. My favorite one out of all the MK games had to be MK trilogy, MK gold, and MKA. big grin

I really dont see why all of you have such a hate against the 3D games and start to be such smarks about it. I find it pathetic.

I dont hate the new 3d Mortal Kombat games..! lol thats not what I said. I just wish they would make a few adjustments by staying original to the 2d games with Reptile being human mainly and having all the original fatalities for each character which were awesome IMO. other than that, Deception and MKA are amazing.

Newjak
I've played all the MKs except for Armageddon. I liked them all whether it was the 2d or 3d models.

I will agree though I kind of wish they would have kept some of the people like Reptile closer to the original version instead of turning him into a giant lizard man.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Newjak
I've played all the MKs except for Armageddon. I liked them all whether it was the 2d or 3d models.

I will agree though I kind of wish they would have kept some of the people like Reptile closer to the original version instead of turning him into a giant lizard man. Yea, well that is how the story follows. I actually like his Lizard form. his human form always makes me think of Scorpion or Sub zero (Ninja outfit).

DarkC
Originally posted by braz
Well yeah, CAF is okay, and of course I like the 3dness alot more like you do, but I just wish the would bring back all of the original fatalities in Deception and Armageddon.
Too predictable and boring.

Deathblow
I can forgive all the little minor discrepancies within MK:Armageddon purely for the fact that you get all the characters from all the games under one virtual roof. It's just beautiful. I swear when I first saw that huge 60+ character select screen, I almost cried. Even a two-legged Motaro couldn't ruin that for me.

braz
Originally posted by DarkC

Not IMO. I actually believe they shouldve had both. wink

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by DarkC

unfortunately thats just about the description for nearly every new MK that has arrived...

I will say that having the different fighting styles is very cool.. but they went about it all wrong.. and its just another excuse to lengthen the dial-a-combos

the best aspects of the new MKs are

-the new character costumes / designs
-the animation
-the stages
-special effects / graphics etc

but other than that it hasn't contributed much to the MK franchise, IMO

JacopeX
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
unfortunately thats just about the description for nearly every new MK that has arrived...

I will say that having the different fighting styles is very cool.. but they went about it all wrong.. and its just another excuse to lengthen the dial-a-combos

the best aspects of the new MKs are

-the new character costumes / designs
-the animation
-the stages
-special effects / graphics etc

but other than that it hasn't contributed much to the MK franchise, IMO Question: What did you think of MK3?

SaTsuJiN
Question: What did you think of MK3?

In my opinion... thats when MK went down the toilet

the bad :

-dial-a-combos
-stupid fatalities
-unnecessary comedy from an otherwise gothic / morbid series
-poorly conceived characters for the sake of boosting the roster

the good :

-multi-leveled stages
-nicer sprites / animation / sound etc
-the run feature

I could clearly see they tried to up the ante with the production value.. but it wasn't enough to make me look past the stuff that I disliked about it

MK 2 was just the right amount of awesome, and they had to go and ruin it

((The_Anomaly))
I agree. MK2 was the best. (waiting for the Wii VC release.....)

Anyways, the 3D games are still good, and I'm waiting for Armageddon to come to Wii (the character roster is...just plain amazing)

But the 3D MK's don't reach the awesomeness of MK1 and MK2.

Deathblow
-dial-a-combos
-stupid fatalities
-unnecessary comedy from an otherwise gothic / morbid series
-poorly conceived characters for the sake of boosting the roster

I loved MK3 (but then I love every game in the series barring #4, and all those hideous action/adventure spin-offs), but I agree with all of those points. The two most poorly conceived additions to the MK series: Stryker, and ''Babalities''.

SaTsuJiN
yeah I didnt like

-babality
-animality
-friendships

it sounded cool when the announcer was like *roar!* "animality.."

but... it just didnt fit in.... I guess they felt like they needed it ever since liu kangs dragon transformation.. /shrug

Estacado
The new create a fighter thingy in MK Armageddon was uber cool!

SaTsuJiN
I think this is 'maybe' an infinite combo in MKA... cuz his health goes up towards the end of the combo so I dont know if that means he would have died, or if the player recovered.

iAGAwr3wBCQ

SaTsuJiN
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18609&type=mov

looks like they're doing a re-release of MK2 for ps3

((The_Anomaly))
I think this is 'maybe' an infinite combo in MKA... cuz his health goes up towards the end of the combo so I dont know if that means he would have died, or if the player recovered.

iAGAwr3wBCQ

I think thats in training mode (if there is one) thats why the health went up.

BTW, anyone notice the extreme boob-moveage in the past few MK games? Its like DOA bouncy, maybe even more so. Just thought I'd mention it. stick out tongue
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18609&type=mov

looks like they're doing a re-release of MK2 for ps3

Yea my friend just got MK2 on PS3 a few days ago, it rules.

JacopeX
In my opinion... thats when MK went down the toilet
Sorry, but I must disagree. That is around the time Mortla Kombat became a phenomenom and that was the first MK game I ever played. When I did, my cousin showed me MK 1 and 2 after the love I had for this game. To this day, I love the 3D games and Dial a combo? You mean press button to create a combo. I think Combos is what made MK alot more better.

SaTsuJiN
Sorry, but I must disagree. That is around the time Mortla Kombat became a phenomenom

Mortal Kombat 1 was an instant classic... it didn't take until 3 to become a phenomenon

Dial a combo? You mean press button to create a combo. I think Combos is what made MK alot more better.

Yes... the act of pressing a pre-determined string of button sequences to pull off a combo... tekken does this with its trademark 10-hit combos. It doesnt fit in with the mortal kombat universe, in my opinion

JacopeX
Mortal Kombat 1 was an instant classic... it didn't take until 3 to become a phenomenon

Yes... the act of pressing a pre-determined string of button sequences to pull off a combo... tekken does this with its trademark 10-hit combos. It doesnt fit in with the mortal kombat universe, in my opinion Mortal Kombat 1 became big in the beginning but when I play ti today, it is just too slow and needs alot more now that I play alot of MK 4/Gold and 3D. MK1 might of been great back then since back then, there werent as many fighting games that made a hit.

The Combos is what really goes with Mortal Kombat. If they stayed with the dull special moves, punch, and kick, MK would be too repeative. With combos, it is more quicker, better, and more fun to inflict. I always been a fan of the combo system.

((The_Anomaly))
I'm actually kinda eagerly awaiting the Wii release of Armageddon. It looks fun and its nice to be able to play as ALL my favorite MK characters. Plus I kinda dig the Kreate-A-Fatality system. Though I think all the characters should still have had one or 2 normal 'press-and-watch' fatalities. What I mean is each character should have the Kreate-A-Fatality, PLUS two other traditional fatalities. Hopefully they have both in the next game.

Gothyc_Wolf
Question: Does anyone have any interesting news regarding MK8? I sincerely doubt it but I just thought I'd ask, because I haven't really bothered to look up or search for any more info regarding it after I read parts of some interview with Ed Boon and him wanting it to have a more 'Gears of War' feel.

But with Armageddon, I really disliked the ending of the Konquest, I did all that work and stayed up until around six in the morning and my thumbs were sore (I'm a wimp, I know) and then the big finale: nothing happened. My expression? I sarcastic 'yay'

I do like the kreate-a-kharacter though, and it was nice having all the characters in one game (I was very disappointed that they didn't have Khameleon until the wii version, though), but the two-legged Motaro kind of irritated me. I did like how they had Reptile appear as, though. I like the Shoalin Monks design they gave him, human was too simplistic for me and I thought the complete reptile thing was kind of cheesy (yes, I do know his whole evolving thing, though).

MadMel
MKA owns in my opinion..i like the k-a-k the most...being able to make your own character is a fantastic addition...
i have the wii version, but i have also played the xbox version...the wii version is so much better, its unbelievable

Evil Dead
MK1 was awesome. I know a lot of you guys here are young and don't remember arcades or life before all gaming being console gaming but Mortal Kombat was HUGE. It was a phenomena before it was ever released on a console. It created a community of gamers. There was no internet. Nothing was cooler than hearing from someone who heard from someone else who heard from someone else how to do one of the fatalities.......and being one of 3 people in the entire town who knew how to do it and amazing others. When it was finally released I bought it both on SNES (superior graphics) and Genesis (blood code & game engine).

Mortal Kombat II is probably the best game of the series. I still don't like the cartoon direction it took the characters but the game play is superior.

Mortal Kombat 3.......never liked it at all. I'd rather just play MK1 or 2. Releasing a second version, UMK3 should probably tell you that the game wasn't that great to begin with.

Trilogy......decent. It had a lot of flaws but I liked the roster on one game.

MK4......bleh...hated it.

Deadly Alliance......see above.

Deception.....I actually liked it. what it lacked in fighting it made up for in Konquest.

Shaolin Monks.......the only action/adventure game in the series worth mentioning. The only bad thing was the size......taking only 3 1/2 hours to complete and having the same story with all 4 characters. They should have left the v/s option off though........god did that one button per move shit suck.

Armageddon......I actually like it and still play it occasionally. The huge roster is great for v/s. I like the Konquest engine like Shaolin Monks'....but it too is too short and unchallanging.

MadMel
i agree with with all of the above..
only it took me a fair bit longer to beat shaolin monks

apoc001
For me, after MK4 came out I was just no longer able to take the series seriously. Sure, there were more characters, unique fighting styles, and swords, but they strayed so far from what made them a cult classic to begin with. For instance, death stopped being relevant, dimensional travel became common, and, rather than focussing on the already existing characters, each game merely coughed up more random characters, each with very weak stories. Maybe the big war scene in Armageddon would have grabbed my interest more if I knew who half the characters were. And besides, Noob Saibot fights monkey style and uses a club? I thought he was a demon ninja guy, not a thug. I also found the series' use of hammerspace very inappropriate.

Ushgarak
MK always had this mad adolescent attitude to things that I found endearing. The sheer ludicrousness of the overblown style works in its favour.

I'm actually pretty sucky at fighting games. And it is pretty clear that MK does not have the elegance of recent Tekken or the in-depth gameplay of Virtua Fighter.

But sod it. MKA on the Wii is the first fighting game I have bought since International Karate some two decades ago. There isn't the slightest hope that so many characters can be balanced or that the game can hang, from a hardcore point of view, as well as other well known franchises.

But I sure as hell have found it a lot of fun. It;s not very difficult to learn to play, either, which is greatly appreciated. I'll not regret the purchase which is more than I can say for many games.

Also, the great variety of control available- using the Remote, or Gamecube, or Classic Controller- is a blueprint I feel many Wii games can look at.

And sure, the gesture system doesn't work 100%. But I can say this for sure too- I am certainly better using them than I ever was breaking my thumbs and fingers trying to input special moves on joypads.

Good mindless game, and social too. I approve.

BlaxicanHydra
If Ush of all people approve a game then it must be darn good.

C. Jack Harness
I liked the old way of playing. Its to stiff now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.