Review Thread ??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CasanoVa
I was thinking up a review thread, because I pick up MOST of the quality titles out there, so everyweek when the new books come out I would give my reviews on them (all in one thread of course) and rate them etc. I was wondering whether this would be a good idea or not? Whether people would appreciate that?

I'd get up about 5-10 reviews per week, other people would be welcome to put up their reviews if they wanted and/or other people can permanently review books every week with me if they wanted.

Heh, plenty of others boards have a same sort of system (the comic book of the month thread sucks on this board IMO, no offense).

Thoughts?

Soljer
Well, short and concise is usually the best way to give an opinion, right? So....

thumb up.

Black Adam
sounds good to me.

CasanoVa
!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!

AVENGERS: THE INTIATIVE

The first issue of Dan Slott's new series and I must say: It starts off with a bang. Dan Slott has become somewhat of a forum legend to be honest, outside of the internet he isn't much respected, but his runs on She Hulk, The Thing and Arkham Asylum showed his diversity as a writer, not only for comedy but for dark gritty stories, which the Intiative is as we find out near the end. It starts off with The Gaunlet, the loud mouthed, rude "mother-loving" drill sergeant role made famous in movies such as Full Metal Jacket, Peter Gyrich persuades him to train all of the new super-heroes coming out of America.. And he reluctantly obliges. It quickly shoots on to the "young" character of the intiative, Cloud 9.. a rather small insecure normal girl flying around the air who is quickly hailed down by War Machine and signed up for the intiative, she becomes one of my favourites (She works, whereas I despise Molly in runaways) in the title, even realising all the other women have perfect bodies and the awkward moment between her and MVP. MVP is an athlete as his name implies, who because his grandather created the super soldier serum is stripped of his medals despite the fact no traces of the SSS were found in him, he gets off to a great start and sets the course record for non-speeders, definetly appearing to be the "big man on campus".

Then as the truck load of new members of the Intiative shows up, Slott takes to mind the fact not everyone agree's with it and they are bombarded by protestors. As they pull up a newly over-confident dickish Hank Pym steps onto the bus and tells that what for, I must admit personally I find Dan Slott's version of Yellow Jacket alot better than he was portrayed before, I prefer Yellow Jacket being an arrogant dick than an insecure dweeb. That's something this title as of yet has been great with, reworking old characters.. Dan Slott is a master with continuity, showing old characters such as: Bengal, Slapstick, Stingray, Hellcat, Scorpion, Red Wolf, Constrictor and more who would never make it into an ongoing normally. He revitalises them, which I personally am very glad at, especially as he actually remembers Vance Astrovik aka Justice was the leader of the New Warriors once, having him go so far as to complain when Gaunlet uses them to belitte the students and insult them.

Another impressive thing is that he actually knows how the law works, where other writers say heroes have to unmask themselves publically he understands that only Tony Stark has to know their secret identity, which he attempts to drill into them through Gauntlet at several points through the issue. The FAR most interesting moment of the issue is definetly the ending though, the intiative trainees are in the battle simulator: Armory (has a weapon that morphs for whatever purpose she needs) is destroying the robots and showing off. Trauma ("Emo Boy"wink is called into the room and is told to destroy the robots, he says he needs somebody in the room to use his powers and Armory is told to stay with him. He reaches inside her and see's that her fear is spiders, she's an arachnaphobe (his powers being to physically turn into somebodies greatest fears), he transforms into a giant spider and Armory flips out firing madly around and blasting off Komodo's arm (a young lady who stole Curt Connor's lizard serum). Cloud 9 freezes up and MVP manages to tackle her out of the way of a blast, but is quickly hit in the head with a blast killing him on the spot.

An enraged Peter Gyrich shouts that nothing happened, nobody died and nothing leaves the room, something oh so in character for him, having him cover up the entire thing. Armory is stripped of her weapon and marched off the base, the last page has Rage asking what happened and Trauma saying "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

I give this book a 10/10, it gets off to a perfect start, Dan Slott really shows his prowess as a writer as he makes you care for all of the characters he's taken merely 26 pages to flesh out, he even has the guts to kill probably the most likeable character of them all off in the first issue. It shows that working in the super-hero business is not easy and not safe either, The book manages to feel light hearted at the start and slowly feels dark and gritty by the end of it. He brings back characters such as Vance Astrovik & War Machine and manages to get the characterization spot on.

I'll repeat it, 10/10. IMO Dan Slott is definetly the best writer at Marvel right now, if you haven't bought this or read the scans over in the "Civil War Scans" thread I advise you to do so.

End of Review/Synopsis

CasanoVa
And by Peter Gyrich I mean Henry messed stick out tongue

CasanoVa
OMEGA FLIGHT 1

Well as I sat down to read this I really had high hopes to be honest, Oeming over the past few years has been great, his Ares mini and his work on Thor was wonderful. I thought wow this is definetly in capable hands and he should make a great read out of it, but I was wrong to be honest. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy reading this, but it wasn't that great to be honest. It starts out with a bunch of Canadian politicians all sitting down discussing the rush of super criminals into their country after the CW in America, the "They're Americans, Madame Prime Minister, what do you expect?" line made me smile I must admit. The lack of super heroes after Alpha Flights deaths is very apparent, Agent Brown is the man to rectify that.

The next part shows that Oeming has also been doing his homework, Walter (the Sasquatch) is teaching at a school on behalf of one of his friends and lecturing them on "Elliptical Oribtal Paths" and other planetary bollocks, when he asks if anybody has questions he is faced with a class-room full of Canadian Fanboys asking him questions about Alpha Flight and Whether he is a clone or not. I find this quite amusing because some avid Flight fans were definetly set on the fact that Alpha Flight weren't dead, they were out in space and they were clones that were killed and Oeming played on that. I found it funny, made me think of Mungi upon reading it. After leaving the classroom he is confronted by Agent Brown on behalf of CSIS (Canadian Secret Intelligence Service). Aboard the SHIELD helicarrier they discuss recreating another group to protect Canada from the super-villains, when Omega Flight is suggested as the name Walter seems rather cautious and I don't blame him, they were a team dedicated to killing AF after all (they failed and Grant Morrison beat them too it). He accepts and is shown two possible members, US Agent & Arachne, both Americans and supplied by Stark. He's shown one other person, presumably Michael Pointer by the look of outrage on his face (which is understandable taking into consideration the man practically murderered all "family"wink.

Walter goes to visit Talisman in the hopes of recruiting her to join OF aswell, she turns him down because she feels her tribe has more need of her. There's two really nice pages (Kolins artwork has really improved, a great inker helps aswell) of her reminiscing and telling the tourists about the first Shaman in her tribe. Cute, but kinda boring I must admit.

Next is the highlight of the issue for me, where all the decompression finally gets a good outlet, The Wrecking Crew go on a rampage killing several people because they told everyone there were to be no phones and one goes off playing "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake. Oh those Wrecking Crew boys! they get me everytime, heh so yeah Sasquatch attacks them shouting that Canada isn't weak and he's not afraid of them, he does pretty well to start with. Then things start to go sour and he's too out-numbered and over-powered (suprisingly, normally the Wrecking Crew job like bitches, this is the first time in a long while I've seen them actually stay true to their power levels). One of them throws a tanker on them, which explodes and incapacitates Walter and the Crew recover before he does, Thunderball gives a good ending line "Nobody messes with the Wrecking Crew" and they batter him into paste.

Now whilst I must admit Kollins has come on leaps and bounds since his last work, the art & inker's are great and they seem to fit the book pretty well. Michael Avon Oeming has definetly done his homework on his book, he's taken the time to research them and has got his characterization spot on as of yet but it feels too slow and decompressed. It feels like I've read the 20+ pages and I've only managed to get that Walter gets beaten the shit out of and their forming a new team. Not much happened, but I'm just blaming that on it being its first issue, it was pretty good though despite all the critism I must admit, I look forward to the future issues and hopefully it'll be made into an ongoing.

7/10

The clone gag get's it another 0.5 though, so we'll call it a 7.5/10, thats quite a good score (I expected better though)

End of Review/Synopsis

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by CasanoVa
!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!

AVENGERS: THE INTIATIVE

The first issue of Dan Slott's new series and I must say: It starts off with a bang. Dan Slott has become somewhat of a forum legend to be honest, outside of the internet he isn't much respected, but his runs on She Hulk, The Thing and Arkham Asylum showed his diversity as a writer, not only for comedy but for dark gritty stories, which the Intiative is as we find out near the end. It starts off with The Gaunlet, the loud mouthed, rude "mother-loving" drill sergeant role made famous in movies such as Full Metal Jacket, Peter Gyrich persuades him to train all of the new super-heroes coming out of America.. And he reluctantly obliges. It quickly shoots on to the "young" character of the intiative, Cloud 9.. a rather small insecure normal girl flying around the air who is quickly hailed down by War Machine and signed up for the intiative, she becomes one of my favourites (She works, whereas I despise Molly in runaways) in the title, even realising all the other women have perfect bodies and the awkward moment between her and MVP. MVP is an athlete as his name implies, who because his grandather created the super soldier serum is stripped of his medals despite the fact no traces of the SSS were found in him, he gets off to a great start and sets the course record for non-speeders, definetly appearing to be the "big man on campus".

Then as the truck load of new members of the Intiative shows up, Slott takes to mind the fact not everyone agree's with it and they are bombarded by protestors. As they pull up a newly over-confident dickish Hank Pym steps onto the bus and tells that what for, I must admit personally I find Dan Slott's version of Yellow Jacket alot better than he was portrayed before, I prefer Yellow Jacket being an arrogant dick than an insecure dweeb. That's something this title as of yet has been great with, reworking old characters.. Dan Slott is a master with continuity, showing old characters such as: Bengal, Slapstick, Stingray, Hellcat, Scorpion, Red Wolf, Constrictor and more who would never make it into an ongoing normally. He revitalises them, which I personally am very glad at, especially as he actually remembers Vance Astrovik aka Justice was the leader of the New Warriors once, having him go so far as to complain when Gaunlet uses them to belitte the students and insult them.

Another impressive thing is that he actually knows how the law works, where other writers say heroes have to unmask themselves publically he understands that only Tony Stark has to know their secret identity, which he attempts to drill into them through Gauntlet at several points through the issue. The FAR most interesting moment of the issue is definetly the ending though, the intiative trainees are in the battle simulator: Armory (has a weapon that morphs for whatever purpose she needs) is destroying the robots and showing off. Trauma ("Emo Boy"wink is called into the room and is told to destroy the robots, he says he needs somebody in the room to use his powers and Armory is told to stay with him. He reaches inside her and see's that her fear is spiders, she's an arachnaphobe (his powers being to physically turn into somebodies greatest fears), he transforms into a giant spider and Armory flips out firing madly around and blasting off Komodo's arm (a young lady who stole Curt Connor's lizard serum). Cloud 9 freezes up and MVP manages to tackle her out of the way of a blast, but is quickly hit in the head with a blast killing him on the spot.

An enraged Peter Gyrich shouts that nothing happened, nobody died and nothing leaves the room, something oh so in character for him, having him cover up the entire thing. Armory is stripped of her weapon and marched off the base, the last page has Rage asking what happened and Trauma saying "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

I give this book a 10/10, it gets off to a perfect start, Dan Slott really shows his prowess as a writer as he makes you care for all of the characters he's taken merely 26 pages to flesh out, he even has the guts to kill probably the most likeable character of them all off in the first issue. It shows that working in the super-hero business is not easy and not safe either, The book manages to feel light hearted at the start and slowly feels dark and gritty by the end of it. He brings back characters such as Vance Astrovik & War Machine and manages to get the characterization spot on.

I'll repeat it, 10/10. IMO Dan Slott is definetly the best writer at Marvel right now, if you haven't bought this or read the scans over in the "Civil War Scans" thread I advise you to do so.

End of Review/Synopsis can i comment and say i agree...

but the whole ending thing hit me hard...i mean, i already had imagined C9 and MVP hitting it off so well and then BAM! most litrally...but goood bookthumb up

edit: and Trauma may be one of my new Fav supers.

CasanoVa

NiņoAraņa
I agree with you there man, Slott built that character up the most out of all the others in the book and you think "wow this dude's going to be a badass". I think it just shows how under-rated a writer Slott is to be honest, to be brave enough to kill his most likeable character and still the books awesome.

Same big grin Trauma is bloody awesome, he was definetly my favourite character out of all of them (including MVP) lol yeah, i just added that in, he's def. going to be transfered to Thunderbolts tho, i can see it already.

Soljer

CasanoVa
Originally posted by Soljer
He's pretty good, but as mentioned, he'd be shit against any sort of robot, psychotic, or etc.

What about Daredevil? Daredevil'd kick the shit out of him, stick out tongue.

Well, if he's on any team then say his team member were a little bit afraid of say.. Superman, he could probably transform into Superman and destroy the robots and/or Daredevil. 'Cause not everybody is as spastically afraid of their fears as Armory stick out tongue

Soljer
Well, if he's on any team then say his team member were a little bit afraid of say.. Superman, he could probably transform into Superman and destroy the robots and/or Daredevil. 'Cause not everybody is as spastically afraid of their fears as Armory stick out tongue

laughing

I wonder how that'd work. I mean, obviously, he can change into more than just REAL things. What if someone shat themselves at the thought of dragons? Or someone was afraid of heights?

Maybe he's actually a genuine shape shifter/telepath, and his emo/goth personality leads him to only shapeshift into things people fear shifty.

Or!

What if someone was afraid of the Stay-puft Marshmellow Man?

(Note: Whoever is the first to get the reference gets five cool points.)

CasanoVa
laughing

I wonder how that'd work. I mean, obviously, he can change into more than just REAL things. What if someone shat themselves at the thought of dragons? Or someone was afraid of heights?

Maybe he's actually a genuine shape shifter/telepath, and his emo/goth personality leads him to only shapeshift into things people fear shifty.

Or!

What if someone was afraid of the Stay-puft Marshmellow Man?

(Note: Whoever is the first to get the reference gets five cool points.)

Ghostbusters.

Yeah, thats something that'll **** him up real good I reckon. He'll be in the field and about to be attacked by about 10 villains and be like, "screw you" and begin to transform into Cloud 9's greatest fear.

It'd end up being her mom or something, he'd be screwed.

Nobody has anything to say about my Omega Flight review? Pfft sad

Soljer
Ghostbusters.

Yeah, thats something that'll **** him up real good I reckon. He'll be in the field and about to be attacked by about 10 villains and be like, "screw you" and begin to transform into Cloud 9's greatest fear.

It'd end up being her mom or something, he'd be screwed.

Nobody has anything to say about my Omega Flight review? Pfft sad

Score for V!

Yeah, I wonder how closely the initiative will follow these heroes. I mean, is this a one time thing, or are we going to see them evolve, and eventually get out in the field?

Sorry about the Omega Flight review, friend. But, I mean, cmon....

It's not like anyone reads Omega Flight. stick out tongue.

Just wait for Mungi.

NiņoAraņa
He's pretty good, but as mentioned, he'd be shit against any sort of robot, psychotic, or etc.

What about Daredevil? Daredevil'd kick the shit out of him, stick out tongue. DD is scared of Elektra trying to marry him no expression

CasanoVa
IMMORTAL IRON FIST 4

Hot damn! DC must be feeling the burn right now cause Brubaker is on fire! think about it: Brubaker signed on exclusive because he couldn't get any really important work over there, now at Marvel he's writing 4 titles (Immortal Iron Fist, Captain America, Daredevil &.. Uncanny X-men), this book is ****ing awesome I have to say, especially with Fraction alongside him co-writing it. Aja & Foreman are working wonders with the visual on this book, the contrast between them works wonderfully well and the flashbacks have been awesome. It seems so obvious now, but the Iron Fist legacy has been around for all of.. hmm four issues and by God I already love it.

Let me re-cap for all you idiots out there that haven't been buying this title, Danny's business is under corporate attack by some japanese/chinese firm (I don't remember which) that is actually a front for Hydra. Hydra is working with/for the Steel Serpent who has returned and wants to kick Danny Rand's arse as per usual. Danny hands alot of Hydra agents their arses, gets ripped to shreds buy some huge bug monster robot thing and luckily is saved by Luke Cage, he then returns to his office to find Orson Randall, the two fight and its pretty inconclusive. But they stop once Dan realises that Orson knew his father.

Who the hell is Orson Randall? You may be asking yourself at this moment, let me explain: Orson Randall was the previous Iron Fist, his father and mother crashed into K'un Lun whilst she was 8 months pregnant, he grew up their and was accepted as one of them. He's trained by Lei Kung and leaves. Out and about he fights in WW2, he knows Wu Aoshi (something like that) and can fire his IRON FIST OUT OF HIS GUN (Awesome!), he survives through the war but becomes quite the broken man. Still alive and living in Thailand in the modern day the Steel Serpent tries to have him killed but he manages to kick everybodies ass (pretty impressively) and meets Daniel Rand.

Ok finished re-capping, now the Two Iron Fists travel far underground in a railway system and discuss what Danny knows about his legacy and family (apparently not as much as he thought he did), Orson also teaches Danny the Hypnotic Fist technique (he moves his fingers so fast that he can pretty much hypnotise people, its pretty cool). As they reach the station they hear rumbling and are then attacked by Hydra agents and start to kick their arse.

That's pretty much all that happened Iron Fist-wise, but the back story is explaining the Steel Serpent's history etc. He's returned and basically wants to kill both Danny and Orson and claim their powers for his own or something. He also seems to be working for a mysterious old woman called "Crane Mother" who comes from a place called K'un Zi.

Another little.. backstory-ish thing is that Mr Hogath (the guy Danny has control the company 'cause, well he doesn't actually know how) gives in to Hydra's front company and agree's to construct their trains and railways which go straight through the K'un-Lun mountains. At the end of their exchange, Hogath asks if he can "Speak to her" and is shown sweating heavily. Presumably they have somebody hostage and Hydra and the Steel Serpent are gearing up for what seems to be quite the iconic battle against both Orson, Danny & K'un-Lun itself.

Stunning art by both artists here, absolutely beautiful and lovely on the eye I must admit. Fraction and Brubaker have this book under wraps, I never want their run to end, if this book went to issue #500 I wouldn't get bored of their writing. If you arent picking this book up already, I strongly advise you to hunt down the previous issues and start collecting it. Or wait for the TPB.

9/10

This review doesn't do this book justice, believe me. Go out and buy it or download it, just make sure you read this damned run.

RyogaHibiki
Green Lantern/Green Arrow 1

10/10

long, wellformulated and good story

DigiMark007
Great idea!

....that's already been done.

...and is pinned at the top.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/299346_1-comic-of-the-month

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.