IGN's top 25's of last generation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
PS2 http://ps2.ign.com/articles/772/772296p1.html

Xbox http://xbox.ign.com/articles/772/772315p1.html

Gamecube http://cube.ign.com/articles/772/772300p1.html

Gameboy advance http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/772/772284p1.html

OB1-adobe
I also have to mention that in terms of exlusives on the lists-

Xbox-9

Ps2-19

Oh and Pc's list too: http://pc.ign.com/articles/772/772285p1.html

((The_Anomaly))
Cube still had THE best game of last-gen IMO: Metroid Prime.

TricksterPriest
Prime was freaking awesome. w00tw00t

The PS2 list didn't have 3 of it's greatest games on there. Zone of The Enders: the 2nd runner, Capcom vs. SNK 2, and R-Type Final. And KH2 was better than one.

BackFire
Yep.

Prime was the most purely impressive console game I've played since Mario 64. Was a joy to play.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by BackFire
Yep.

Prime was the most purely impressive console game I've played since Mario 64. Was a joy to play.

I heard it was pretty f'ing hard

ESB -1138
Super Smash Bros Melee should have been GC's first.

Smasandian
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

I thought it was hard. Those bloody space marines are a *****.

Cool bosses though, love the whole scanning thing, awesome presentation and graphics are still impressive.

Yeah, best game of the generation I think.

Morridini
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

Um, noo. Neither too hard nor too easy, Hard mode might have been a b it hard though.

JToTheP
GameCube also got one of the greatest games ever made IMO, in an exclusive disc: Sonic Gems Collection. Sonic CD which IMO is the true sequel to the first, and better than the second.

S&K3>Sonic 1=Sonic CD>>Sonic 2

ESB -1138
Originally posted by JToTheP
GameCube also got one of the greatest games ever made IMO, in an exclusive disc: Sonic Gems Collection. Sonic CD which IMO is the true sequel to the first, and better than the second.

S&K3>Sonic 1=Sonic CD>>Sonic 2

Gems Collection? The only game that was even worth playing was Sonic CD. Sonic Mega Collection had all the great games. Heck the front of Gems Collection even said "3 must have games...and 7 others" Sonic Team basically said this:

You will get these 3 awesome, fun, amazing games! Oh and umm...umm...these 7 other ones...

((The_Anomaly))
Wow, I'm suprised that many people agree that Prime was the best game of last-gen. I expected to get a good deal of opposition to that.

Prime is, IMO, the third best game I've ever played, next to OoT and Twilight Princess. Prime was pure brilliance.

MadMel
prime and ssbm should have tied laughing out loud

((The_Anomaly))
NO! Prime pwns. End of discussion. Period. Stamped. Packeged. Licked. Whipped. Chewed. no expression

ESB -1138
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Wow, I'm suprised that many people agree that Prime was the best game of last-gen. I expected to get a good deal of opposition to that.

Prime is, IMO, the third best game I've ever played, next to OoT and Twilight Princess. Prime was pure brilliance.

I guess you never played NiGHTS.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I guess you never played NiGHTS.

I have, and its amazing for sure. But I'm not sure if it'd even make my top 10 erm

Regardless its still a masterpiece of a game, its just IMO not as good as Mario 64, Zelda: ALTTP, Super Metroid, Metal Gear Solid 3: Substince, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 1, Zelda: OoT, Zelda: MM, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros. Melee...on and on and on...

But NiGHTS is still a fantastic game, its just not that high on my list, prolly top 15-20, but not top 10.

JToTheP
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Gems Collection? The only game that was even worth playing was Sonic CD. Sonic Mega Collection had all the great games. Heck the front of Gems Collection even said "3 must have games...and 7 others" Sonic Team basically said this:

You will get these 3 awesome, fun, amazing games! Oh and umm...umm...these 7 other ones...

Gems Collection has Vector Man 1 & 2 on it also, so no, you're wrong, worth the $30 to me.

And as far as I'm concerned, I wish they put Sonic CD in Mega Collection and not Sonic 2, considering I hate Sonic 2. Tails is a pain in the ass and I only used him to carry me to extra lives.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles will forever be the best Sonic game ever, 1 & CD tied for second.

JToTheP
I have, and its amazing for sure. But I'm not sure if it'd even make my top 10 erm

Regardless its still a masterpiece of a game, its just IMO not as good as Mario 64, Zelda: ALTTP, Super Metroid, Metal Gear Solid 3: Substince, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 1, Zelda: OoT, Zelda: MM, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros. Melee...on and on and on...

But NiGHTS is still a fantastic game, its just not that high on my list, prolly top 15-20, but not top 10.

How the HELL could you like Majora's Mask so much? And Snake Eater is still too new to be one of the greatest games ever made.

Nights was weird to me, and I didn't own a Saturn so I was lost.

ESB -1138
Gems Collection has Vector Man 1 & 2 on it also, so no, you're wrong, worth the $30 to me.

And as far as I'm concerned, I wish they put Sonic CD in Mega Collection and not Sonic 2, considering I hate Sonic 2. Tails is a pain in the ass and I only used him to carry me to extra lives.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles will forever be the best Sonic game ever, 1 & CD tied for second.

Tails couldn't fly in Sonic 2 (expect for returning to Sonic). And really Sonic 2 is the best selling Sonic game of all time and is considered not just by me but by many reviewers and gamers to be the best Sonic game.

Resident Evil 1!? I hated that game; what with the poor voice acting and the horrible camera. Resident Evil 4 is the best one out of the series.

NiGHTS may be my favorite game of all time. I can't think of any other game I liked as much (expect for maybe Sonic 2 or Mario World/64).

((The_Anomaly))
How the HELL could you like Majora's Mask so much? And Snake Eater is still too new to be one of the greatest games ever made.

Nights was weird to me, and I didn't own a Saturn so I was lost.

What does newness have to do with being one of the greatest games ever made? What the f**k? Zelda: TP is IMO one of the greatest games ever made and its newer then Snake Eater. I didn't realise that the time a game was out somehow made it better qualified...The game is the game, and SUBSISTENCE (not Snake Eater) was IMO by far the best of the MGS games thus far, and it was one of the best games I've ever played. Easily the best game on the PS2 IMO.

As for Zelda: MM, it was an amazing game, original, cool, graphically outstanding (for the time), and very engaging and interesting. To this day I've encountered few games with as interesting and as intricate NPC interaction as MM had.

Oh and to clarify, I meant the Resident Evil remake for Gamecube not the PS1 original.

ESB -1138
Oh and to clarify, I meant the Resident Evil remake for Gamecube not the PS1 original.

Ohhhh...that makes a little more sense. I still have to give it to RE4 as best Resident Evil game. Very amazing.

And I agree with you on Majora's Mask. In fact if that game didn't have sidequests that would be a quick game to beat since that's basically a sidequest game. And the great part about it was you didn't have to make a new game to go back and enjoy certain parts of the game instead of just the last boss fight.

((The_Anomaly))
You should REALLY go pick up the RE remake, the game is amazing. I like it better then RE4 because its the old RE gameplay which I love. (RE4 was mega-pwnage though). Even better though, the remake has visuals which are friggin out of this world. I'm talking hyper realism. Pick it up, its fantastic.

JToTheP
What does newness have to do with being one of the greatest games ever made? What the f**k? Zelda: TP is IMO one of the greatest games ever made and its newer then Snake Eater. I didn't realise that the time a game was out somehow made it better qualified...The game is the game, and SUBSISTENCE (not Snake Eater) was IMO by far the best of the MGS games thus far, and it was one of the best games I've ever played. Easily the best game on the PS2 IMO.

As for Zelda: MM, it was an amazing game, original, cool, graphically outstanding (for the time), and very engaging and interesting. To this day I've encountered few games with as interesting and as intricate NPC interaction as MM had.

Because classics are meant to be the greatest games ever made for a reason. And the flaws in the newer games are ridiculous when compared to the primitive better entris of a series.

Snake Eater IS Subsistance, Subsistance only has European Extreme, the ONLINE Play, and every other bonus feature. Subsistance's first DISC is STILL Snake Eater.

Majora's Mask wasn't even a Zelda game, it lacked Zelda almost entirely just like Zelda 2.

((The_Anomaly))
Actually, I didn't say "classics" I said "greatest games ever" huge difference there. A game does not have to be a "classic" to be among the best games ever. Old does not automatically equal 'best'. While SOME of the best games are indeed 'classics' its certainly not a prerequisite for it to be considered one of the best games ever, I don't know where your getting this idea from.

And Subsistence has a little more then the things you mention, mainly the movable camera with the right analog stick. The free camera setting DID make the game not only different, but much better then Snake Eater, the new camera setting was more immersive and made the game far more spectacular then the original version.

And your Opinion on Zelda: MM is your own. I for one thought it was an interesting take on Zelda, and believe it to be one of the best Zelda's to date.

JToTheP
Anyone who owns Subsistance is well aware of the camera though, and I think well before the multiplayer got shut down anyone who wanted the game bought it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.