Is it actually be editorial leaning that..........?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
Makes Superman the top dog he is, or just writers gushing over him themselves?

Is the editorial decree that he be first among his peers merely battleboard legend, or is it actually real?

Anybody who's interviewed writers, can you clarify?

This comes from the haterade that Newjak was tossing Supermans way.

And can you name other characters that fall under editorial decree possibly, in either a negative or positive light?

Like someone who's taken so many lumps as a character, that the editors must have it out for them?

Ex, Stiltman. or Wonderman?

Validus
God STFU

masterbruce
Superman is like Christ in DC. He makes the company, without him, DC falls...so they have to have him as their top dog. Plus, he is the most iconic, popular hero in the world.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by masterbruce
Superman is like Christ in DC. He makes the company, without him, DC falls...so they have to have him as their top dog. Plus, he is the most iconic, popular hero in the world. i wouldn't say DC fails, they've survived without him before....

UniOmni
Originally posted by Validus
God STFU

Ohh sad

U mad B?

Validus
No. big grin

Juntai
What haterade?

Juntai
Originally posted by masterbruce
Superman is like Christ in DC. He makes the company, without him, DC falls...so they have to have him as their top dog. Plus, he is the most iconic, popular hero in the world. Batman is the cash machine.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by Juntai
Batman is the cash machine. I think this is actually true. Just everybody hates Supes more.

UniOmni
Batman is the cash machine.

I'd wager that any character that has more than one book out at the same time, is a virtual cashmachine.

See Spiderman, Wolverine, Xmen, Superman, Batman etc.

Them be the moneymakers right there.

Money makers, but less so.

Hulk, F4, Robin, Titans etc.

Now answer the question.

Do you think it's actual editorial decree that backs him, or just writers who were crazy fans in their youth?

And what does that mean for guys like MM, who might have a small but dedicated fanbase himself?

10 years from now, if i still read comics, you think MM might be an undisputed powerhouse in DC?
Same for WW, Orion, GL and the rest?

Newjak
What haterade? My hatorade big grin

And no I don't hate Superman I just look at the fact he can't loose in DC because he is the flagship character.

Therefore I think typically his actual power is below the Top GLs and more in line with someone like Cap. Marvel and Martian Manhunter.

With most of his typical good feats coming at the ends of fights.

I'll use a good analogy. Juggernaut at least Classic was a villain therefore he was always destined to loose and of course he lost because of that reason it doesn't mean that people like the X-Men and Spiderman are really that strong Juggernaut just had to loose.

I think it is the reverse with Superman maybe even more so because he is the flagship he must never loose in DC ever no matter who he is up against no matter how much he should be beaten.

batdude123
God STFU

DOUBLE cosignage.

What is it with you and Superman? What the f**k?

EVERY thread you make is about DC politics and how they write him.

Get over it.

Newjak
Originally posted by UniOmni
I'd wager that any character that has more than one book out at the same time, is a virtual cashmachine.

See Spiderman, Wolverine, Xmen, Superman, Batman etc.

Them be the moneymakers right there.

Money makers, but less so.

Hulk, F4, Robin, Titans etc.

Now answer the question.

Do you think it's actual editorial decree that backs him, or just writers who were crazy fans in their youth?

And what does that mean for guys like MM, who might have a small but dedicated fanbase himself?

10 years from now, if i still read comics, you think MM might be an undisputed powerhouse in DC?
Same for WW, Orion, GL and the rest? I think its both writers who tend to want Superman to be the one that wins everything and Editors realizing they really can't change it now.

I think in the future Superman will start to loose some of that Flagship immunity and we'll start to see other characters step up and take over.

I would like to see more of a equal stepping up so a lot of characters get their overdo spotlight.

UniOmni
Originally posted by batdude123
DOUBLE cosignage.

What is it with you and Superman? What the f**k?

EVERY thread you make is about DC politics and how they write him.

Get over it.

Imagine this Batsy.

You want to write comics. Really badly.

You also want your comic creations to be in the DCU, because you want them to interact with WW, Booster Gold and Cap Marvel.

You even want him/her to interact with big blue himself, but you're really afraid of how other writers/mandates might affect the growth of your character.

Silly, right, since all characters in DC are cherished, right?

Right.............?

But you see how characters in DC sometimes get handled, if they aren't Bruce or Clark.

You don't want that to happen to your favorite character.

Now, this was me 10 years ago.

And it's likely many people nowadays as well.

That's why i ask these questions...

Plus, since i'm trying to write my own comics, i'm trying to see if i want my favorites to be backed by any future editorial decrees.

Validus
I would kill to have my characters get one shotted by Superman. droolio

UniOmni
You aim low Vally. Really low.

Go read S/B. See what happens to Wog?

Juntai
Originally posted by Newjak
My hatorade big grin

And no I don't hate Superman I just look at the fact he can't loose in DC because he is the flagship character.

Therefore I think typically his actual power is below the Top GLs and more in line with someone like Cap. Marvel and Martian Manhunter.

With most of his typical good feats coming at the ends of fights.

I'll use a good analogy. Juggernaut at least Classic was a villain therefore he was always destined to loose and of course he lost because of that reason it doesn't mean that people like the X-Men and Spiderman are really that strong Juggernaut just had to loose.

I think it is the reverse with Superman maybe even more so because he is the flagship he must never loose in DC ever no matter who he is up against no matter how much he should be beaten.
This is sort of the bias against Supes that is all over the forum. If Thanos smacks around 10 100class guys, it's cool. If Superman does it, it's 'because he's a flagship character', and then brushed aside and ignored?

However, what we debate on is based on comic showings. Ignoring those and creating your own lesser version of Superman to debate with is kinda wrong and in contradication to his appearances.

Do you do this with all characters?

Basically, I'm asking, because I'd sorta like to know how seriously I can take your posts if I see them in a thread.

Validus
You aim low Vally. Really low.

Go read S/B. See what happens to Wog?
Turns out Wog isn't as physically strong as Kal. Surprise?

Juntai
I think its both writers who tend to want Superman to be the one that wins everything and Editors realizing they really can't change it now.

I think in the future Superman will start to loose some of that Flagship immunity and we'll start to see other characters step up and take over.

I would like to see more of a equal stepping up so a lot of characters get their overdo spotlight. The minute you see Blue Beetle lunch boxes, book bags and shirts at Wal Mart, and a Blue Beetle ride at six flags, holla at me.
Until then, I don't see it changing.

Superman and Batman will always be the flagship.

Newjak
This is sort of the bias against Supes that is all over the forum. If Thanos smacks around 10 100class guys, it's cool. If Superman does it, it's 'because he's a flagship character', and then brushed aside and ignored?

However, what we debate on is based on comic showings. Ignoring those and creating your own lesser version of Superman to debate with is kinda wrong and in contradication to his appearances.

Do you do this with all characters?

Basically, I'm asking, because I'd sorta like to know how seriously I can take your posts if I see them in a thread. You would take my post seriously yeah because no one else does sad

And I understand this but there is kind of a loophole rule to Superman that everyone seems to abide when describing his power level.

In that no matter how strong a character is shown to be without Superman like a Green Lantern once they are around a big threat with Superman even though they could equally do just as well or better it is always Superman that must be the one to win. Then people loop it around in saying that he must be stronger than all these characters because he was chosen to win and no one else. When in reality it was because he was DCs flagship character.

Despite his personal showings being less than that of other characters.

Its not a bias against Superman its common sense to understand Superman gets kind of mini upgrades if you want to call them that only when he has to win against someone and not before or after that moment in time.

Where you want to place him without the having-to-win-power is up to you. Personally I see Gladiator and Superman as pretty interchangeable without it.

Martian_mind
I am the box ghost!! beware!!!

Newjak
The minute you see Blue Beetle lunch boxes, book bags and shirts at Wal Mart, and a Blue Beetle ride at six flags, holla at me.

Superman and Batman will always be the flagship. Did I say it would be soon no.

But as with all things time takes hold. In ten or fifteen years I'll be surprised to see that the Green Lanterns the Flashes and the Martian Manhunters don't become just as popular as Superman. Superman is as big as he is now because he is still relativity popular among all the age brackets but that is changing as Youth no longer hold him in as high regard as older generations do.

It all about time my friend.

Validus
lmao @ Martian Manhunter becoming popular

Martian_mind
FEAST ON MY PACKAGED MEAT FURY!!!!!!

Newjak
lmao @ Martian Manhunter becoming popular Yeah it is a long shot it was more an example then something that would actually happen.

UniOmni
The minute you see Blue Beetle lunch boxes, book bags and shirts at Wal Mart, and a Blue Beetle ride at six flags, holla at me.

Superman and Batman will always be the flagship.

Do you see how it kinda dooms all characters to background status at times tho Jun?

Superman and Batsy get the premiere writers. Why, i don't know. Maybe the writers pick their characters, or they get handed a character to write.

But as long as Geoff Johns stays on Superman, and goes back to JSA or JLA, then who does Jaime the blue beetle get?

Some up and coming writer(who might be brilliant), but doesn't have the name attached that brings in the fans.

So his book sells poorly, gets cancelled, and now he's on the Outsiders getting busted out by Grace.

It's a self serving cycle.

Superman and Batman get the best writers, then they get the most sales.
Less popular characters don't get the sales needed, so they lose protection from higher ups.

And then they get jobbed.

Rinse and repeat.

Bothers me, but obviously not you.

Superherovandal
you know i hope in the crossover after countdown when DS comes with this "great disaster" he slaps Supes around like a doll. I like supes alot but i just don't want this crossover to end up like IC with Supes saving the day from the cosmic threat. That's one of the major reasons i hated the end. I hope it takes many powerful characters to end the battle. like ion and Green Lanterns and the new gods. and i hope that if DS survives he stays as a cosmic threat and not the superman villain he was before.

Validus
That's a crazy argument Omni. sick

Newjak
That's a crazy argument Omni. sick I agree I mean there is a reason Superman and Batman do beat out other people because they are the cash cows.

Its the same thing with Wolverine. I don't really mind it that much because it is the nature of things. I just wish other characters didn't have to suffer because of it. sad

UniOmni
That's a crazy argument Omni. sick

Why? Blatantly not true, or merely offputting?

Juntai
You would take my post seriously yeah because no one else does sad

And I understand this but there is kind of a loophole rule to Superman that everyone seems to abide when describing his power level.

In that no matter how strong a character is shown to be without Superman like a Green Lantern once they are around a big threat with Superman even though they could equally do just as well or better it is always Superman that must be the one to win. Then people loop it around in saying that he must be stronger than all these characters because he was chosen to win and no one else. When in reality it was because he was DCs flagship character.

Despite his personal showings being less than that of other characters.

Its not a bias against Superman its common sense to understand Superman gets kind of mini upgrades if you want to call them that only when he has to win against someone and not before or after that moment in time.

Where you want to place him without the having-to-win-power is up to you. Personally I see Gladiator and Superman as pretty interchangeable without it. I take it you don't read much Superman, otherwise you'd know that he isn't magically stronger than everyone else when it's needed. He's written like that most of the time. Read the way characters treat and regard him, as well as narrations. The events you're speaking of where people are written stronger than he is, is more the exception than the other way around. Though he does hold back, and then sometimes stops holding back. All kinds of characters to that though, most of them in fact, but I doubt you count that when it's not Superman.

I guess Uni was right.

It is just haterade.

Validus
Writers do pick their projects for the most part. A lot of new series are made because said writer had a good pitch and the publisher decided to go with it. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to get in the industry. If Joe Nobody wants to write Superman but Geoff Johns also wants to write Superman, it's easy to guess who will get the job. That's typically why your Blue Beetle's are being written by lower tier writers while Chris Claremont stays on Uncanny X-Men for 20 years.

Juntai
Do you see how it kinda dooms all characters to background status at times tho Jun?

Superman and Batsy get the premiere writers. Why, i don't know. Maybe the writers pick their characters, or they get handed a character to write.

But as long as Geoff Johns stays on Superman, and goes back to JSA or JLA, then who does Jaime the blue beetle get?

Some up and coming writer(who might be brilliant), but doesn't have the name attached that brings in the fans.

So his book sells poorly, gets cancelled, and now he's on the Outsiders getting busted out by Grace.

It's a self serving cycle.

Superman and Batman get the best writers, then they get the most sales.
Less popular characters don't get the sales needed, so they lose protection from higher ups.

And then they get jobbed.

Rinse and repeat.

Bothers me, but obviously not you. Other characters get good writers, you just must not pay attention.

Grant Morrison wrote Animal Man.
So did Allan Moore.
Allan Moore also did Swamp thing.

But since you're speaking of Blue Beetle, and asking who he gets? I'll point out Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and several of the industry's best have all touched the title. Kieth Giffen, just got off of the title after a year run.

Newjak
I take it you don't read much Superman, otherwise you'd know that he isn't magically stronger than everyone else when it's needed. He's written like that most of the time. Read the way characters treat and regard him, as well as narrations. The events you're speaking of where people are written stronger than he is, is more the exception than the other way around. Though he does hold back, and then sometimes stops holding back. All kinds of characters to that though, most of them in fact, but I doubt you count that when it's not Superman.

I guess Uni was right.

It is just haterade. Oh yeah because I hate Superman with a passion I'm on the look out for him. I have a picture of him up on my wall and I throw darts at him every chance I can get. stick out tongue

And I think you just answered what I said look how other characters treat him. I mean we have a thousand year old Amazonian goddess in awe of him when she has met real gods like Zeus.

Green Lanterns who can do anything are supposed to be in awe of Superman.

Let's be coy here Superman is what he is he is very strong is just as good as Gladiator as far as I'm concerned but I'm tired of people constantly thinking that since he wins the day he is in the same league as a top GL and heads and shoulders above people like Capt. Marvel or Martian Manhunter which besides the big events is never shown that way.

Martian_mind
Jonn is always STATED as above Superman......but damn it all if the fagboy writers ignore his capabities.......

UniOmni
Other characters get good writers, you just must not pay attention.

Grant Morrison wrote Animal Man.
So did Allan Moore.
Allan Moore also did Swamp thing.

But since you're speaking of Blue Beetle, and asking who he gets? I'll point out Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and several of the industry's best have all touched the title. Kieth Giffen, just got off of the title after a year run.

You had me by the balls until you named Giffen as a great writer.......ddhgfdgdgrtgtfoh!

Devil Lance
Writers do pick their projects for the most part. A lot of new series are made because said writer had a good pitch and the publisher decided to go with it. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to get in the industry. If Joe Nobody wants to write Superman but Geoff Johns also wants to write Superman, it's easy to guess who will get the job. That's typically why your Blue Beetle's are being written by lower tier writers while Chris Claremont stays on Uncanny X-Men for 20 years.

hey don't diss the writer on Blue Beetle

John Rogers rocks mad

Juntai
Oh yeah because I hate Superman with a passion I'm on the look out for him. I have a picture of him up on my wall and I throw darts at him every chance I can get. stick out tongue

And I think you just answered what I said look how other characters treat him. I mean we have a thousand year old Amazonian goddess in awe of him when she has met real gods like Zeus.

Green Lanterns who can do anything are supposed to be in awe of Superman.

Let's be coy here Superman is what he is he is very strong is just as good as Gladiator as far as I'm concerned but I'm tired of people constantly thinking that since he wins the day he is in the same league as a top GL and heads and shoulders above people like Capt. Marvel or Martian Manhunter which besides the big events is never shown that way. Yep, you don't read much Superman at all. Superman does amazing stuff almost week to week. There hasn't been one character to do anything as amazing as he since Crisis. It's not one time deals, that he suddenly gets an upgrade. In this last issue of S/B he dropped Despero, who's often written as a team wrecker. The issue before that, he was taking on half a dozen guys, including a GL, Powergirl, and others. The last issue of Action Comics, he survived the force of 50 supernovas, while his power was drained. The first arc of OYL since Crisis, had him battling against a planet devistating Kryptonian Warship. In The Next, he sealed an anomoly in space/time that was could to collapse everything into entropy. Seriously, try to find a character who's been more impressive in the last year.

Validus
Originally posted by Devil Lance
hey don't diss the writer on Blue Beetle

John Rogers rocks mad
Yeah right.

And Giffen is a great writer.

Juntai
You had me by the balls until you named Giffen as a great writer.......ddhgfdgdgrtgtfoh! I didn't say he was great, but he's pretty good. I like his work. Even the goofier stuff he's done. smile

Judging by all the guys on the forum wowed by Annihilation, a lot of others like him too.

Validus
He IS great got dammit!

Newjak
Yep, you don't read much Superman at all. Superman does amazing stuff almost week to week. There hasn't been one character to do anything as amazing as he since Crisis. It's not one time deals, that he suddenly gets an upgrade. In this last issue of S/B he dropped Despero, who's often written as a team wrecker. The issue before that, he was taking on half a dozen guys, including a GL, Powergirl, and others. The last issue of Action Comics, he survived the force of 50 supernovas, while his power was drained. The first arc of OYL since Crisis, had him battling against a planet devistating Kryptonian Warship. In The Next, he rubbed he sealed an anomoly in space/time that was could to collapse everything into entropy. Seriously, try to find a character who's been more impressive in the last year. Silver Surfer who just beat two Promeal Gods freed Galactus by matching a blast from Thanos and destroyed a Planet easily stick out tongue

Seriously though my problem isn't with Superman it is with the people that take him far to above everyone else.

Are you trying seriously tell me that Superman power wise is a match for a top Green Lantern if you are then maybe I shouldn't take your comments seriously stick out tongue

Let's be serious here he has feats and he is good but honestly Superman only in name is better than most of the other people around him. In actual power it is different and he is closer to the playing field then you give him credit for wink

UniOmni
You can't argue against what the comics show bruh.

I think in S/B 29, Superman took on Hal iirc. He looked better in the end as well. Or maybe it was Kilohog.

And Giffen is buttjuice currently.

Annihilation was utter trash, barring T^A, and he was such a dunce that he killed off the best chance for any exploration of the marvel higher tiered cosmic scenery.

And he's old.

Newjak

I think in S/B 29, Superman took on Hal iirc. He looked better in the end as well. Or maybe it was Kilohog. Didn't I once see a scan of Kilowog knocking Superman's head into the ground stick out tongue

And I'm not really argueing against the comics by the wya I'm just tired of everyone thinking Superman is leagues above everyone. He really isn't especially when you think about feats of Superman vs a Green Lantern.

Validus

I think in S/B 29, Superman took on Hal iirc. He looked better in the end as well. Or maybe it was Kilohog.
Kilohog? 'H' is halfway across the damn keyboard from 'w'.

And Giffen is buttjuice currently.

Annihilation was utter trash, barring T^A, and he was such a dunce that he killed off the best chance for any exploration of the marvel higher tiered cosmic scenery.

And he's old.
Your posts are buttjuice currently. If I see you make another Superman topic I might sacrifice a kitten to Grant Morrison.

If the only thing Giffen ever did was his LOSH run, he'd be an elite writer.

Newjak
Kilohog? 'H' is halfway across the damn keyboard from 'w'.

Your posts are buttjuice currently. If I see you make another Superman topic I might sacrifice a kitten to Grant Morrison.

If the only thing Giffen ever did was his LOSH run, he'd be an elite writer. I actually liked Annihilation anyways about this kitten what if I made Superman thread stick out tongue

Martian_mind
Mmmmmmm dead kitten....

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Mmmmmmm dead kitten....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/HAL10WEEN/mmm.gif

Juntai
Silver Surfer who just beat two Promeal Gods freed Galactus by matching a blast from Thanos and destroyed a Planet easily stick out tongue

Seriously though my problem isn't with Superman it is with the people that take him far to above everyone else.

Are you trying seriously tell me that Superman power wise is a match for a top Green Lantern if you are then maybe I shouldn't take your comments seriously stick out tongue

Let's be serious here he has feats and he is good but honestly Superman only in name is better than most of the other people around him. In actual power it is different and he is closer to the playing field then you give him credit for wink Yep, not with his own power, and he pretty much died doing it, were it not for Galactus. It's a tastement to his versatility rather than his power. As you saw, his power was cut short, his blasts meant nothing.

I think it's funny that you're even entertaining the idea of not taking my comments seriously, when you're the one basically telling the forum how you disregard his on panel showings, and replace him with your own lesser version of Superman.

And yes, Superman is match for GL. And he's always written that way. Didn't I tell you a post or so ago, that he was beating a Black Rock infested Green Lantern and about half a dozen others just last month's issue of S/B? How about him blasting Despero down solo, who took down GL, MM, Aquaman and a ton others not too long ago? Even several of Superman's enemies have not only beaten, but killed or dismembered Green Lanterns, including Lobo, Doomsday, to name a couple.

GL's are very versatile compared to Superman
However, are they outright more powerful?
No, not at all.

UniOmni
Surfer riding through the energy wave is a durability feat, since it vaped T^A.

Newjak
Yep, not with his own power, and he pretty much died doing it, were it not for Galactus. It's a tastement to his versatility rather than his power. As you saw, his power was cut short, his blasts meant nothing.

I think it's funny that you're even entertaining the idea of not taking my comments seriously, when you're the one basically telling the forum how you disregard his on panel showings, and replace him with your own lesser version of Superman.

And yes, Superman is match for GL. And he's always written that way. Didn't I tell you a post or so ago, that he was beating a Black Rock infested Green Lantern and about half a dozen others just last month's issue of S/B? How about him blasting Despero down solo, who took down GL, MM, Aquaman and a ton others not too long ago? Even several of Superman's enemies have not only beaten, but killed or dismembered Green Lanterns, including Lobo, Doomsday, to name a couple.

GL's are very versatile compared to Superman
However, are they outright more powerful?
No, not at all.
He harnessed energies that Superman couldn't even touch that is a big feat. stick out tongue

When did I disregard in any on panel feats of Superman I basically said what I meant Superman gets blown out of proportion by people who think he is always head and shoulders above everyone else simply because of name and stature. Name any feat of Superman Gladiator probably has a feat close to it.

the fact is in the comic your talking about he didn't even walk through them they eventually get him down to his knees in how many panels again and how many of them did he take down in that little exchange then Batman shows up in some sort of pose and someone's eyes go big right is that the comic your referring to.

Edit: I wanted to apologize Junati for breifly calling you a fanboy. You are obviously quite knowledgable on the character and I did not mean to insult you.

Validus
Surfer riding through the energy wave is a durability feat, since it vaped T^A.
Some durability feat. He fuggin died!

Newjak
Some durability feat. He fuggin died! Correction he was close to dying had it not been for Galactus he would have. stick out tongue

I would also like to point out even Galactus was astonished that Silver Surfer was able to do that feat.

Validus
Name any feat of Superman Gladiator probably has a feat close to it.

Probably not. Gladiator's fight record is balls.

Validus
Correction he was close to dying had it not been for Galactus he would have. stick out tongue

I would also like to point out even Galactus was astonished that Silver Surfer was able to do that feat.
His ass was dead, son.

Juntai
Surfer riding through the energy wave is a durability feat, since it vaped T^A. Sure, I'll give it to you, but he was mostly just skimming the edge of it though, and still was going to die momentarily until Galactus helped him. It's a little hard for me to take it too seriously though as a durability feat, when it had him dead..

I did think the panels of Surfer riding these crashing waves was a little cheesey though.

Newjak
Probably not. Gladiator's fight record is balls. Fighting records and feats are different heck Gladiator fought and hurt Ego the living planet so his fighting record isn't that bad stick out tongue

His ass was dead, son. Yeah I'll admit he was going to die if Big G hadn't saved him.

Validus
OT but UniOmni stated on another forum that Michael Jackson was superior to Prince.

Dawg, you're dead to me now. DEAD.

Newjak
OT but UniOmni stated on another forum that Michael Jackson was superior to Prince.

Dawg, you're dead to me now. DEAD. I hate them both give me Metalica anyday stick out tongue

Juntai
He harnessed energies that Superman couldn't even touch that is a big feat. stick out tongue

When did I disregard in any on panel feats of Superman I basically said what I meant Superman gets blown out of proportion by people who think he is always head and shoulders above everyone else simply because of name and stature. Name any feat of Superman Gladiator probably has a feat close to it.

the fact is in the comic your talking about he didn't even walk through them they eventually get him down to his knees in how many panels again and how many of them did he take down in that little exchange then Batman shows up in some sort of pose and someone's eyes go big right is that the comic your referring to.

Edit: I wanted to apologize Junati for breifly calling you a fanboy. You are obviously quite knowledgable on the character and I did not mean to insult you. Superman survived in entropy longer than that for as far as a durability feat as you want to consider what Surfer did.. Harness the energies? Maybe not, but that's not his powerset. Surfer and Gl and others have the plot device versatility powersets not Superman. Doesn't mean they posses more power though.

Name a feat Superman has that Gladiator can't match?
How about smashing open Imperiex's physical form?
Could he do the same to Galactus' physical form..?

Juntai
I hate them both give me Metalica anyday stick out tongue I don't neccisarily hate Prince and Micheal, but it's a different era, and yeah, I'd much rather take Metallica.

Newjak
Superman survived in entropy longer than that for as far as a durability feat as you want to consider what Surfer did.. Harness the energies? Maybe not, but that's not his powerset. Surfer and Gl and others have the plot device versatility powersets not Superman. Doesn't mean they posses more power though.

Name a feat Superman has that Gladiator can't match?
How about smashing open Imperiex's physical form?
Could he do the same to Galactus' physical form..?
I won't lie they do but what the Surfer did obviously had little to do with the Versatilely of his power. He basically took the power into himself so that he could have it consume T&A that seems more like an absolute power feat to me.

and I already said that Glads managed to hurt Ego the living planet stick out tongue

UniOmni

Dawg, you're dead to me now. DEAD.

I can listen to Michael.

Prince sounds so fuggin ghey, he makes my balls shrivel.
Can't take dude seriously.

Validus
List of those dead to me

UniOmni
Newjak
Juntai

I'm not even sure the Gladiator Vs Ego feat is canon. stick out tongue

His best fight ever, IMO, was the speeblitz KO on Thor but then he lost the next issue.

Validus
I can listen to Michael.

Prince sounds so fuggin ghey, he makes my balls shrivel.
Can't take dude seriously.
How you going to be an MJ fan and then diss another artist for sounding ghey? laughing out loud

Newjak
List of those dead to me

UniOmni
Newjak
Juntai

I'm not even sure the Gladiator Vs Ego feat is canon. stick out tongue

His best fight ever, IMO, was the speeblitz KO on Thor but then he lost the next issue. I'm dead to you cryoh

How can I regain life to you Val tell me.

I'm not sure either still was a cool feat for good ol Glads.

Yeah he basically punked Thor for a bit there. stick out tongue

Juntai
I won't lie they do but what the Surfer did obviously had little to do with the Versatilely of his power. He basically took the power into himself so that he could have it consume T&A that seems more like an absolute power feat to me.

and I already said that Glads managed to hurt Ego the living planet stick out tongue I dunno, the Elder's aren't all that impressive to me. All I ever see them do is lose. We saw some of them having problems with or outright losing to Surfer in the early arcs of Silver Surfer volume 3, was it? Like when he turned Obliterator's guns into flashlights? Quasar takes down the same guy. Gladiator beating Ego. Thanos beating them all one by one. Didn't Ego lose to Thing and the Fantastic 4?

Newjak
I dunno, the Elder's aren't all that impressive to me. All I ever see them do is lose. We saw some of them having problems with or outright losing to Surfer in the early arcs of Silver Surfer volume 3, was it? Like when he turned Obliterator's guns into flashlights? Quasar takes down the same guy. Gladiator beating Ego. Thanos beating them all one by one. Didn't Ego lose to Thing and the Fantastic 4? I'm not sure about Thing but I know She-Hulk has beaten Champion and Thing has cracked his robs. Still Big G had some problems with Ego I think. stick out tongue

Martian_mind
Michael Jackson pwns Prince.

I know it,you know it,even your sig knows it.

http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/139567/michael_jackson/Michael%20Jackson%20-%20Beat%20It

But Billy Joel pwns all.

http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/55982/billy_joel/Billy%20Joel%20-%20Uptown%20Girl

Juntai
I'm not sure about Thing but I know She-Hulk has beaten Champion and Thing has cracked his robs. Still Big G had some problems with Ego I think. stick out tongue Yeah, but Big G has had problems with lots of lessers. The idea Surfer was overpowering them gives you the idea of how bad along Big G had to be.

If Gladiator can whoop up Ego by punching the side of it, Superman grabs him and pushing him into a boomtube t othe dawn of time. shifty

They're similar, as Kallark is a play on Clark's character, but Superman is out and out more impressive, day in day, out, and pretty much without fail.

Newjak
Yeah, but Big G has had problems with lots of lessers. The idea Surfer was overpowering them gives you the idea of how bad along Big G had to be.

If Gladiator can whoop up Ego by punching the side of it, Superman grabs him and pushing him into a boomtube t othe dawn of time. shifty

They're similar, as Kallark is a play on Clark's character, but Superman is out and out more impressive, day in day, out, and pretty much without fail. I don't know Glads has been clocked moving 100 times the speed of light by Reed Richards. He has like two shotted planets they are definitely closer than people like to think.

Its just when he gets to Earth he has to loose for some reason.

But then again I'm developing a Marvel/DC counter power theory for Earth.

Basically Earth in both DC and Marvel are the center of inter dimensional power source. Though for Marvel it sucks away power and in DC it boosts power. So in Marvel the further away from Earth you are the stronger you are while in DC the closer to Earth you are the stronger you are. stick out tongue

Martian_mind
So to defeat LT all marvel heroes have to do is take him to earth?

thats a shit tactic.

:alright this will be an omniversal lanet shattering battle.Lets take it to earth

:why?

:He'll be weaker

:hey yeah,who gives a sh*t about civilians?

Juntai
Originally posted by Martian_mind
So to defeat LT all marvel heroes have to do is take him to earth?

thats a shit tactic.

:alright this will be an omniversal lanet shattering battle.Lets take it to earth

:why?

:He'll be weaker

:hey yeah,who gives a sh*t about civilians? Worked for Reed in the MC2 Universe, when got out his big gun and blasted LT away.

Martian_mind
Any planet called MC2 deserves to me threatened and destroyed.

Same as Cm3

pr1983
first of all, prince (and the revolution) are awesome...

so was MJ (in his day), very little if any modern music even compares to what those two have accomplished...

And leave Superman the f*ck alone... i can't come on this forum without someone giving out shit about his feats then praising surfer or martian manhunter or hal (or whoever else) at the same time... hell, i buy green lantern (new artist blows), and any surfer related stuff, and i'm waiting on the martian manhunter tpb (as far as i know its not out yet), and those guys do all this amazing stuff, and they get very little flak, superman does it and he's suddenly the cash cow... he isn't wolverine, he IS that powerful, its as simple as that... i've seen him take a kicking several times in the last few years (ww more than once, shazam (the wizard and captain marvel), black adam, doomsday, superboy prime, gog, kilowog), so if anyone, even once tries to tell me superman never gets beat up, they don't know what they're talking about... sure he wins in the end, and why? because he's just that good. he holds back (which any hero with his powers should do imo), and so what if he cuts loose to beat the bad guys when he has to? it has to be done, people have to be saved...

superman is just that good (must be the third time i've said that), simple as that imo, he's the benchmark for what makes a hero. he'll always be big, because he's iconic, and the theme is pretty much timeless...

the best writers write the biggest characters, and rightly so imo... if marvel did it, the quality of their big titles would be much, much higher...

sorry for the heatedness of my rant, i want to stress that i'm not attacking anyone, i was just trying to get my point across, but it is so frustrating being a superman fan on this forum sometimes... it's like no matter what the guy does, people just hate him more...

Validus
Pr just skeeted on Omni.

pr1983
Pr just skeeted on Omni.

i'd have a more articulate reply if i understood the term 'skeeted'

WorldWarHulk
Yeah, but Big G has had problems with lots of lessers. The idea Surfer was overpowering them gives you the idea of how bad along Big G had to be.

They're similar, as Kallark is a play on Clark's character, but Superman is out and out more impressive, day in day, out, and pretty much without fail. Big G was weak during the Ego fight, and then was weakened farthur, and Thor fanboys wet themselves afterwards...

Big G has one-shotted all the Elders (minus Ego), before, in those earlier issues.
Also, in the earlier issues Runner beat up Surfer.
Really, the only impressive Elder was Runner, the rest blow balls.

Gladiator was flying at him... meh, Ego only has a couple good... wait, if the Gladiator one wasn't canon, then Ego basically has no bad feats (besides getting his ass blasted by Beta and Thor).

That's because Glads is just a cheap copy, with no passion behind him.
Superman is the main man in DC (besides Batman).
Who do you think is going to be more impressive?

Board Walker
lol superman being below a gl (even hal or kyle) in power?

Are you joking or are you just biased?

Superman has shown matter/reality manipulation feats beyond most.

He has fought omniversal beings and won (T-vo for the win!)

People like to take Supermans powers as a joke, yet do they do the same for silver surfer?

Superman is able to vibrate and destroy or repair the omniverse, some people just can't accept that so they drown themselves in haterade....*COUGH*uniomi*COUGH*

CasanoVa
I still think Supes sucks, but I know he's got fans and couldn't care less about how well he could do against some of my favourite characters, live and let die and all that shizat.

Board Walker
P.S. my post was peppered with sarcasm

darthgoober
My only real problem with Supes is the fact that he's the source for some of the biggest double standards in the comic forum. Need an example?

Wolverine's healing factor spent years building to a ridiculous level right? Now everyone but the fanboys acknowledged that the way his healing was being portrayed, and ignored the BS showings. But when Supes does something that jacks his power up a notch then it's all cool. I put Supes "Super Hand Rubbing" powers right up there with Wolverine healing from a nuke. I don't care if Supes has gotten more powerful over the years or not(after all Wolverine's healing factor also increased in power over the years, it's just plain stupid. And the fact that Supes is consistently portrayed as being at that level doesn't excuse that stupidity any more than Wolverine consistently being able to take on(and take shots from) guys like Hulk or Gladiator.

I understand that he's DC's flagship hero and will always be given insane and stupid feats to save the day, but consistently bad writing is still bad writing anyway you look at it and should be acknowledged as such.

WorldWarHulk
Originally posted by darthgoober
I understand that he's DC's flagship hero and will always be given insane and stupid feats to save the day, but consistently bad writing is still bad writing anyway you look at it and should be acknowledged as such. Nope, Superman has one-shotted Despero with his HV.
It's obviously not bad writing...

darthgoober
Originally posted by WorldWarHulk
Nope, Superman has one-shotted Despero with his HV.
It's obviously not bad writing...
Yeah and let's not forget Dominus either....

pr1983
"Super Hand Rubbing"

what?

Not everyone would consider it bad writing though...

darthgoober
Originally posted by pr1983
what?
I don't remember the exact basis for the feat, but Supes rubbed his hands together super fast to fix a tear in Reality or something like that.

Not everyone would consider it bad writing though...
And not everyone considered Wolverine healing from a nuke bad writing either. After all, his healing factor HAD been portraid as being more and more uber over the years so why not?

Martian_mind
What was the last issue of Astonishing xmen to be released?

pr1983
I don't remember the exact basis for the feat, but Supes rubbed his hands together super fast to fix a tear in Reality or something like that.

that sounds a bit iffy...

then they're idiots... erm

simple. he doesnt regularly fly faster than the speed of light, or perform feats of strength that would make the hulk crap his pants etc... stick out tongue

superman's powerset is such that, when combined with the other aspects of his character, suggests (and regularly shows) that he can do things other heroes just can't do...

/\ apologies for the shit grammar...

20 i think... about a month ago...

darthgoober
that sounds a bit iffy...
Iffy my ass. It was stupid anyway you look at it.

then they're idiots... erm
I agree.

simple. he doesnt regularly fly faster than the speed of light, or perform feats of strength that would make the hulk crap his pants etc... stick out tongue
No but he DOES have an uber healing factor that's allowed him to heal from all kinds of crazy shit. He's also Marvel's flagship character along with Spidey(just like Batman and Superman) and because of that is written to be capable of healing from something like a nuke to appease the fanboys, but does that change the fact that it's stupid beyond all belief?

superman's powerset is such that, when combined with the other aspects of his character, suggests (and regularly shows) that he can do things other heroes just can't do...

/\ apologies for the shit grammar...

And I don't have a problem with Supes doing things that are within his powerset, I have a problem with his powerset being enhanced every damn issue to whatever level is necessary to get the job done. By the same token, I have(or had) a problem with Wolverine's healing factor being written in such a way that it was always good enough to get him out of trouble no matter what that trouble was(nukes, Gladiator, etc.).

pr1983

i was referring to the way you'd described it... stick out tongue

good. wink

in his case no, but he isnt built that way... marvel will still say that he only has the strength of a normal (intensively trained) man, or slightly above, and a better than average healing factor, and yet will write him completely ott... dc make no bones about superman, he's written (alot of the time) exactly how he's supposed to be, at least imo...

every issue? c'mon, thats a bit much...

me too...

-a-m-a-n again

I agree.

No but he DOES have an uber healing factor that's allowed him to heal from all kinds of crazy shit. He's also Marvel's flagship character along with Spidey(just like Batman and Superman) and because of that is written to be capable of healing from something like a nuke to appease the fanboys, but does that change the fact that it's stupid beyond all belief?

And I don't have a problem with Supes doing things that are within his powerset, I have a problem with his powerset being enhanced every damn issue to whatever level is necessary to get the job done. By the same token, I have(or had) a problem with Wolverine's healing factor being written in such a way that it was always good enough to get him out of trouble no matter what that trouble was(nukes, Gladiator, etc.).

I agree with the notion that portrayals of characters are getting sloppy to gain a shock response on the chat forums through out the net. I mean its getting to the point where writers are forgetting what certain characters powers are in the first place. Take Zoom for example, the guy doesn't actually move fast, therefore his mass shouldn't actually increase due to momentum. Yet he's some how capable of the IMP punch all of a sudden. IMO, that type of writing is Blase.

I think Gaimain showed recently in the Eternals mini, how effective simple depictions of powers can still be. The scene where Makkari is preventing the bullets from hurting the embassy hostages is one of the best in recent memory, yet it didn't involve any frictional induced tears in reality, or a healing factor that allows a character to survive subatomic annihilation.

darthgoober
i was referring to the way you'd described it... stick out tongue

cool

good. wink

cool (Again)

in his case no, but he isnt built that way... marvel will still say that he only has the strength of a normal (intensively trained) man, or slightly above, and a better than average healing factor, and yet will write him completely ott... dc make no bones about superman, he's written (alot of the time) exactly how he's supposed to be, at least imo...

Marvel may say most of that most of the time, but for a while Wolverine's healing factor was considered to be pretty damn uber by the writers. But that level of healing was STILL ignored by pretty much everyone one the boards(including Supes fans who are more than willing to accept Supes being able to do ANYTHING) because everyone knew it was stupid. THAT'S the double standard I'm talking about. Supes is just about the only character that many consider to be immune to PIS/SMvF and stupid writing in general just because "he's Superman so it's ok for him to be able to do ANYTHING".

every issue? c'mon, thats a bit much...

Juntai listed several issues(right in a row) where Supes did something off the charts in power. I consider that assessment to be pretty accurate.

darthgoober
Originally posted by -a-m-a-n again
I agree with the notion that portrayals of characters are getting sloppy to gain a shock response on the chat forums through out the net. I mean its getting to the point where writers are forgetting what certain characters powers are in the first place. Take Zoom for example, the guy doesn't actually move fast, therefore his mass shouldn't actually increase due to momentum. Yet he's some how capable of the IMP punch all of a sudden. IMO, that type of writing is Blase.

I think Gaimain showed recently in the Eternals mini, how effective simple depictions of powers can still be. The scene where Makkari is preventing the bullets from hurting the embassy hostages is one of the best in recent memory, yet it didn't involve any frictional induced tears in reality, or a healing factor that allows a character to survive subatomic annihilation.
Tell me about it. I think Marvel and DC have realised just how many people frequent forums like this, so they're constantly trying to give their characters one issue powers just to put them over their counterparts on the boards, it's damn near as bad as the Pre Crisis era(especially Supes books). What happened to the good old days when the hero had to win through things like guts, determination, and teamwork as opposed to taking his established abilities to the next level. Lazy ass fanboy writers are killing some of comics best characters.

pr1983
cool

cool (Again)

ok...

and yet marvel still paint him as the underdog, when he so clearly isn't...

supes gets as much flak as anyone on this board, probably only logan gets more, and even that is a stretch... even the generally well within limits feats get picked apart in debates, hell, how many pages of the iceman versus superman thread was there? supes can't do anything (in that context), and to suggest he can is sheer lunacy, but he can do ALOT... the fact is, he is superman, he's written as a character that is supposed to do things other people can't... DC don't paint him as the underdog, and rightly so... case in point: during the 'up, up and away' arc, lex takes control of a kryptonian battleship that is superior to supes, and hits him with kryptonite beams, severely weakening him... he is saved by jimmy coming to his rescue, and a last ditch charge to pull luthor from the machine... now while some people (i'm not saying you in particular) might consider that crap writing (the whole resistance to kryptonite thing), i don't... i consider it to be superman doing what he does, putting the lives of others before his own, and pushing himself to the limit to get the job done... yes the writers take liberties, and yes it is wrong, but its not different than half the x-men stuff of the last ten years...

any chance of those issue numbers and the feats? what does he mean by off the charts? in terms of strength? speed? what?

to be honest, ive read pretty much every supes comic in the last three or four years, and imo, showings of him doing outrageous stuff are in the minority, and in no way close to being the majority... most of the time he's just written as being superman, doing supermanesque things...

-a-m-a-n again
Tell me about it. I think Marvel and DC have realised just how many people frequent forums like this, so they're constantly trying to give their characters one issue powers just to put them over their counterparts on the boards, it's damn near as bad as the Pre Crisis era(especially Supes books). What happened to the good old days when the hero had to win through things like guts, determination, and teamwork as opposed to taking his established abilities to the next level. Lazy ass fan boy writers are killing some of comics best characters.

Thing is they definitely read the forums, I've even spoken to one of the current writers of Superman recently. I think half of them know what they are doing, but the others are really just appealing to short term fan boy kicks. There will be a lot of character with a bad case of power inflation, if writers are not careful. I blame Morrison, Ellis and Millar, as they are the ones who kind of introduced the cinematic, blockbuster, 'badass' moment into comics in the first place. At least they used to do it well. smile

darthgoober
and yet marvel still paint him as the underdog, when he so clearly isn't...
I'm not talking about him as a character anymore than I'm talking about Supes as a character. I'm talking about the way that his healing factor was being portrayed at the time(which I see as being similar to the way Supes strength/speed/durability is being portrayed now). It was uber as Hell in the comics, but everyone was more than willing to chalk it up to bad writing.

supes gets as much flak as anyone on this board, probably only logan gets more, and even that is a stretch... even the generally well within limits feats get picked apart in debates, hell, how many pages of the iceman versus superman thread was there? supes can't do anything (in that context), and to suggest he can is sheer lunacy, but he can do ALOT... the fact is, he is superman, he's written as a character that is supposed to do things other people can't... DC don't paint him as the underdog, and rightly so... case in point: during the 'up, up and away' arc, lex takes control of a kryptonian battleship that is superior to supes, and hits him with kryptonite beams, severely weakening him... he is saved by jimmy coming to his rescue, and a last ditch charge to pull luthor from the machine... now while some people (i'm not saying you in particular) might consider that crap writing (the whole resistance to kryptonite thing), i don't... i consider it to be superman doing what he does, putting the lives of others before his own, and pushing himself to the limit to get the job done... yes the writers take liberties, and yes it is wrong, but its not different than half the x-men stuff of the last ten years...
But the difference is that "Writers liberties" are ignored where most character's are concerned, and accepted for Supes. Supes can be written at outlandish levels and his fans don't bat an eyelid, their response is always more akin to "Finally, they're writing Supes the way he SHOULD be written". I don't have a problem with Supes having something of a resistance to K-nite after all the times he's came into contact with it, I have a problem with the writers giving his fanboys ammo to say that it's all but useless when it's always been an important aspect of his character. And I don't have a problem with him being super fast, I have a problem with him being so damn fast he can heal time and space. Things like that would be looked down upon for ANY character other than Supes, which is the reason behind his being hated by so many.

any chance of those issue numbers and the feats? what does he mean by off the charts? in terms of strength? speed? what?

to be honest, ive read pretty much every supes comic in the last three or four years, and imo, showings of him doing outrageous stuff are in the minority, and in no way close to being the majority... most of the time he's just written as being superman, doing supermanesque things...

Here's the post of Juntai's I was talking about...
Yep, you don't read much Superman at all. Superman does amazing stuff almost week to week. There hasn't been one character to do anything as amazing as he since Crisis. It's not one time deals, that he suddenly gets an upgrade. In this last issue of S/B he dropped Despero, who's often written as a team wrecker. The issue before that, he was taking on half a dozen guys, including a GL, Powergirl, and others. The last issue of Action Comics, he survived the force of 50 supernovas, while his power was drained. The first arc of OYL since Crisis, had him battling against a planet devistating Kryptonian Warship. In The Next, he sealed an anomoly in space/time that was could to collapse everything into entropy. Seriously, try to find a character who's been more impressive in the last year.

pr1983
I'm not talking about him as a character anymore than I'm talking about Supes as a character. I'm talking about the way that his healing factor was being portrayed at the time(which I see as being similar to the way Supes strength/speed/durability is being portrayed now). It was uber as Hell in the comics, but everyone was more than willing to chalk it up to bad writing.

and rightly so, because it wasnt the standard... bar the byrne run, superman more often than not has all those things... 99% of the time, superman has the uber strength/speed/durability... wolverine's healing depends on the writer half the time, while superman, whether he's being written by azzarello, verheiden, meltzer, morrison, busiek or johns for instance, he's still almost unratably strong and durable...

see, i don't agree with that, and i think this is the main thing you and i don't agree about... superman (imo, as i've said), is more often than not written with a decent sense of consistency, in that he has uber strength, speed and durability, heat vision etc... i've gone into threads and seen superman fanboys make a mockery of the character, but i've seen perfectly rational people show and almost venomous disregard for feats simply because they're supermans, when the likes of thor, surfer or even wonder woman could easily do feats of their own on the same scale and have them accepted...

again i don't agree... what do you mean by outlandish? the rubbing hands thing? it seems like an isolated incident...

i agree...

i don't agree... if surfer or thor or martian manhunter or kyle rayner did this, nobody would challenge it, but because superman does it people are on his back about it... i actually feel, like, the exact opposite to what you do...

that's all one arc, and sure, i'll admit that they've overdone supes a bit, but i've found that the superman & batman book tends to do that, so i just tend to disregard most of it, and i like verheiden as a writer...

high level durability feat, but with a different writer in a completely different comic to the one above...

action comics yes, but a completely different arc... different writer too... and i liked it... i wouldnt consider it outlandish at all to be honest... cool, and high end, but within his abilities, like the huge explosion mentioned above...

i didnt read that one... erm

anyway, juntai's post seemed more in praise of superman, but those issues were in no way sequential... stick out tongue

darthgoober
and rightly so, because it wasnt the standard... bar the byrne run, superman more often than not has all those things... 99% of the time, superman has the uber strength/speed/durability... wolverine's healing depends on the writer half the time, while superman, whether he's being written by azzarello, verheiden, meltzer, morrison, busiek or johns for instance, he's still almost unratably strong and durable...
But it was the standard for his healing factor at that particular time. Supes fans are always saying that they're not trying to limit themselves to his high end feats, but the way he's currently being portrayed. Well at the time Wolverine's healing factor was being portrayed as uber but that still wasn't being taken into consideration.

see, i don't agree with that, and i think this is the main thing you and i don't agree about... superman (imo, as i've said), is more often than not written with a decent sense of consistency, in that he has uber strength, speed and durability, heat vision etc... i've gone into threads and seen superman fanboys make a mockery of the character, but i've seen perfectly rational people show and almost venomous disregard for feats simply because they're supermans, when the likes of thor, surfer or even wonder woman could easily do feats of their own on the same scale and have them accepted...
I myself have never seen anyone discredit a feat of Supes that could be replicated by Thor or WW with strength. I'm willing to accept the majority of his strength feats(and to a lesser extent his durability feats) without much issue. Some of them like the Maggedon thing though...

again i don't agree... what do you mean by outlandish? the rubbing hands thing? it seems like an isolated incident...
Maggedon, just about anything involving T-Vo, heatvisioning the shit out of Despero, massive strength feats under a red sun or while exposed to massive amounts of K-nite, etc. There are quite a few that are pretty freakin stupid.

i agree...
cool

i don't agree... if surfer or thor or martian manhunter or kyle rayner did this, nobody would challenge it, but because superman does it people are on his back about it... i actually feel, like, the exact opposite to what you do...
The difference is that Surfer and Kyle are SUPPOSED to do that kind of thing. Supes being able to do it through sheer speed is just plain stupid. It's very similar to Marvel saying that Hulk is so strong that he can grab energy with his bare hands. It's just a random ability that he has "just because"(whether it makes sense or not) that you have to hear about in every one of his threads.

that's all one arc, and sure, i'll admit that they've overdone supes a bit, but i've found that the superman & batman book tends to do that, so i just tend to disregard most of it, and i like verheiden as a writer...
But you are the exception rather than the rule. I don't have a problem with Supes having ridicules feats as long as people are willing to behave like you and overlook them. My problem is that so many Supes fans aren't willing to do that for anyone BUT Supes.

high level durability feat, but with a different writer in a completely different comic to the one above...
It was under red sunlight, which should have had him damn near powerless. That spells BS in my mind.

action comics yes, but a completely different arc... different writer too... and i liked it... i wouldnt consider it outlandish at all to be honest... cool, and high end, but within his abilities, like the huge explosion mentioned above...
I'm not saying that all Supes current feats are bogus(I don't know enough about this one to make the call). Just pointing out that DC is making his questionable feats more and more common to appease the fanboys.

i didnt read that one... erm
But how legit does it SOUND to you. See these are the kinds of feats that you hear mentioned in EVERY freakin Supes thread.

anyway, juntai's post seemed more in praise of superman, but those issues were in no way sequential... stick out tongue
But you see my point right?

pr1983
dude, i want to reply right now, but i can't, my lady is calling... i'll reply tomorrow... wink

just didn't want to suddenly disappear... stick out tongue

Board Walker
But it was the standard for his healing factor at that particular time. Supes fans are always saying that they're not trying to limit themselves to his high end feats, but the way he's currently being portrayed. Well at the time Wolverine's healing factor was being portrayed as uber but that still wasn't being taken into consideration.

I myself have never seen anyone discredit a feat of Supes that could be replicated by Thor or WW with strength. I'm willing to accept the majority of his strength feats(and to a lesser extent his durability feats) without much issue. Some of them like the Maggedon thing though...

Maggedon, just about anything involving T-Vo, heatvisioning the shit out of Despero, massive strength feats under a red sun or while exposed to massive amounts of K-nite, etc. There are quite a few that are pretty freakin stupid.

cool

The difference is that Surfer and Kyle are SUPPOSED to do that kind of thing. Supes being able to do it through sheer speed is just plain stupid. It's very similar to Marvel saying that Hulk is so strong that he can grab energy with his bare hands. It's just a random ability that he has "just because"(whether it makes sense or not) that you have to hear about in every one of his threads.

But you are the exception rather than the rule. I don't have a problem with Supes having ridicules feats as long as people are willing to behave like you and overlook them. My problem is that so many Supes fans aren't willing to do that for anyone BUT Supes.

It was under red sunlight, which should have had him damn near powerless. That spells BS in my mind.

I'm not saying that all Supes current feats are bogus(I don't know enough about this one to make the call). Just pointing out that DC is making his questionable feats more and more common to appease the fanboys.

But how legit does it SOUND to you. See these are the kinds of feats that you hear mentioned in EVERY freakin Supes thread.

But you see my point right?

Its okay for surfer and kyle to do it because they are suppose to?

Who do you think you are? You are the writters or the editors.

Just because some thing conflicts with your view of things should be, does not mean they are wrong because they are not.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Board Walker
Its okay for surfer and kyle to do it because they are suppose to?

Who do you think you are? You are the writters or the editors.

Just because some thing conflicts with your view of things should be, does not mean they are wrong because they are not.
Well of course YOU'D say that. Your also one of the few that was willing to accept Wolverine's uber healing feats as well.

pr1983
But it was the standard for his healing factor at that particular time.

and its constantly changing... one week machine gun fire could put him down, the next he could be surviving missile explosions...

but recently (and im talking a fair few years here), he's consistently being portrayed as being high end... how many low showings has superman had in the last while?

it might be that way with some people, but me personally (im not saying you are accusing me or anything), i believe that it is taken into consideration by anyone who's opinion is worth listening to...

yet you were saying the supernova's in action were a bit much... stick out tongue either thor or wonder woman could probably survive a similar explosion imo...

the mageddon thing is something i know very little about (i don't even know who the character is), so my bad...

Don't know it... embarrasment

i've actually never read a comic where t-vo was used, but yes, it sounds like complete shite...

in fairness, superman's HV is quite often referred to as being his most powerful weapon, and thats given his massive strength and speed... but if its superman & batman you're talking about, that book has some awfully incredibly bias in its pages at times...

i've honestly never considered red sun radiation or kryptonite to be like off switches with superman... i think their effect (especially nowadays), is more of a gradual thing... yes they'll kill him, but even a normal human can take a fair amount of time to die of radiation poisoning...

i know, i know, me agreeing with you... lucky you eh? stick out tongue

no offence, but that's exactly what i was talking about... can you go into more detail about the actual event itself please?

but why not? his powers are extradimensional in nature arent they? his strength, and how the gamma radiation effects that strength could, with a bit of creative writing be shown to have the effect on hulk whereby he can do stuff like that...

either that or it could be complete bullshit...

but superman>>>>>>>>hulk, by a fair amount, and superman's versatility (imo), is one of the most underrated things on this forum... the guy's a frickin genius, and is considered one of the smartest people on earth...

so just ignore them, and pay more attention to guys like me, juntai and val... problem solved... stick out tongue

again... stick out tongue

i've honestly never considered red sun radiation or kryptonite to be like off switches with superman... i think their effect (especially nowadays), is more of a gradual thing... yes they'll kill him, but even a normal human can take a fair amount of time to die of radiation poisoning...

but its done with so many other characters too, why just focus on superman? wolverine, surfer, thor, juggernaut, hulk, wonder woman, the green lanterns, supergirl, most x-men, martian manhunter, i mean, the list goes on and on, why make superman the focus? sure there's the fanboys, but why bother with them anyway?

it depends on the nature of the problem to be honest... sure, if it was written a certain way, it could be complete bullshit, but i ask, what bearing on a fight between him and say, surfer, does the ability to repair anomalies in space time have?

i always did, i just don't agree...stick out tongue

to me alot of his high end feats are just that, high end, and not outside his range of abilities... erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.