Is there a decent market for straight to DVD horror movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

=Tired Hiker=
I actually am developing a decent horror movie idea! Pretty soon my place of employment will be making the trasformation from DVC Pro to HDTV, meaning that I will soon possess an HD camera which would be great for shooting a movie, as long as it's not shown on a huge screen. I know Trauma makes some movies, or releases them for DVD, but have those movies ever shown in theatres as well, like Toxic Avenger and stuff like that?

BackFire
Sure, there are theaters that show those types of movies.

Doesn't happen too often.

ragesRemorse
i dont think there is any market that consistantly produces good horror movies. Straight to dvd horror movies are usually bad because of the production value and inexperience of the filmakers. Studio flicks are often bad beyond shit becasue studios always feel that the horror genre is the most risky market out there and they usually try to play their investments safe by stepping in changing the body of work to mirror other sucesful horror flicks, or just to appeal to teenagers.

I believe however, if your subject material is good enough, the horror market has such a loyal fanbase that anything is possible

=Tired Hiker=
Thanks guys. I've been outlining a movie that sort of has that Hostel/Turistas vibe, but will take place in Las Vegas. Will I ever make it? Who knows, but I will most likely write a script for it.

BackFire
Sweet, good luck TH.

When you finish your script, I wanna be the first to read it!

roughrider
There used to be an excellent market in the 1980's for direct-to-VHS horror/thriller films. Read the book 'Feature Filmmaking at Used-Car Prices'; it outlined how some total amateurs had a successful business going in it. These days, with the DVD market, I don't know how large it is. The 80's was a highly successful horror period; that may have helped the financial landscape.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by BackFire
Sweet, good luck TH.

When you finish your script, I wanna be the first to read it!

You got it. Your feedback would be highly appreciated.Originally posted by roughrider
There used to be an excellent market in the 1980's for direct-to-VHS horror/thriller films. Read the book 'Feature Filmmaking at Used-Car Prices'; it outlined how some total amateurs had a successful business going in it. These days, with the DVD market, I don't know how large it is. The 80's was a highly successful horror period; that may have helped the financial landscape. I'll have to check that book out, my main problem probably wouldn't be the making of the film, but the marketing of it is what I need to learn about.

Cowboyography
I will watch anything straight to DVD, Wether I like it not is totally up to the film but I love low budget straight to DVD horror. I really love it when I find a gem, its very rewarding!!

deathbycorn
In the 80s and 90s most of the straight to VHS horror films had a budget and were backed by decent studios. Nowadays you get all these hacks making horror films in their backyards and they end up getting DVD releases and sold as 'Indie' films. Indie movies are shit and clog up shelf space at the local DVD rental store. But you do still get stuff like Lost Boys 2 and Feast 2 with decent budgets.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.