music from the future that came to the past to save the present

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manorastroman
this is devoted to all those progressive artists, ranging back to "sun ra" through "eno" and "can" to "i am spoonbender".

any mention of mike patton will promptly be buried in the namedropping of more progressive artists vin

ragesRemorse
Led Zeppelin
john lee hooker
buddy holly

and miles davis, though he wasnt very progressive, he was stil the best of his kind

manorastroman
damn you're missing the point. and you're flat out wrong, too.

-hh-
Cannibal Ox?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by manorastroman
this is devoted to all those progressive artists, ranging back to "sun ra" through "eno" and "can" to "i am spoonbender".

any mention of mike patton will promptly be buried in the namedropping of more progressive artists vin

Do it's dedicated to progressive artists you like, but not ones you dislike?

-AC

manorastroman
vin who said anything about disliking mike patton? i'm still tickled over the drift incident; you know, it was a bit of a joke. please, mention mike patton to your heart's content.

Alpha Centauri
Right, so...let's review the dynamics of this thread.

I made a remark, and you create a mock thread off the back of that, distinctly telling anyone (Me) not to mention Mike Patton, despite the fact that he is eligible for mentioning in such a thread as this regardless of liking or loathing the man.

I then post the assumption that you dislike Patton because the criteria states we shouldn't mention him, and you tell me I can mention him all I want?

I'll admit, not the most thought out of jokes. Should probably work a bit more on the delivery.

-AC

manorastroman
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Right, so...let's review the dynamics of this thread.

I made a remark, and you create a mock thread off the back of that, distinctly telling anyone (Me) not to mention Mike Patton, despite the fact that he is eligible for mentioning in such a thread as this regardless of liking or loathing the man.

I then post the assumption that you dislike Patton because the criteria states we shouldn't mention him, and you tell me I can mention him all I want?

I'll admit, not the most thought out of jokes. Should probably work a bit more on the delivery.

-AC

vin i don't get it! is the punchline where you lay out the dynamics of a six response thread?

i wasn't telling you not to mention mike patton (don't be silly!); i said that any mention would be buried in a namedrop. there's a real difference--don't you think?

this isn't a mock thread. i love progressive artists...i already mentioned a few of them. do you know sun ra, can, and i am spoonbender? they are very progressive smile

EPIIIBITES
How about that band...Faith No More???

No really, New Order I'd say is a big one.

Obviously Floyd is a shoe-in here.

I'm tempted to put Beck and the Beastie Boys in here as well...although I'm probably wrong and they're not really considered prog rock.

vintageSW77
Juan Atkins,Derrik May,Kevin Saunderson

and Deliah Derbyshire

not progressive but they certainly fit the title of this thread

manorastroman
juan atkins and deliah derbyshire definitely get a nod, deliah for being a pioneer of what would evolve into the kraftwerk-y sound, juan atkins for evolving the kraftwerk-y sound into what we now call techno.

see, AC? i despise techno.

new order doesn't make the list, because they were just a sonic combination of roxy music/eno and joy division. beastie boys and beck are both possible contenders, because beastie boys were essentially the first rap/rock fusion, and beck is (kind of) responsible for the slacker ethos of 90's culture. pink floyd definitely makes the list.

see AC? i despise pink floyd.

EPIIIBITES
Yeah, don't know why I didn't say Joy division

I think Velvet Underground belong here as well.

Alpha Centauri
I appreciate the attempts to impress, Manor, but they're not necessary.

-AC

manorastroman
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I appreciate the attempts to impress, Manor, but they're not necessary.

-AC

vin between grief and nothing, i'll choose grief.

Solo
GY!BE

-hh-
Originally posted by -hh-
Cannibal Ox? i agree thumb up

Deathblow
I'd say El-P, rather than Cannox. As outstanding as the lyricism was on the Ox album, it's the production that really blew peoples' minds. Although it was definitely The Cold Vein that seemed like the record ''sent from the future to save the present'', so officially, it's Cannibal Ox.

Look at that, I just went in a big circle. Like a pigeon, with one mile left, doggy paddling through a bullshit ocean of death, and stuff.

RedAlertv2
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

Bardock42
Of course I don't understand the thread, but I will guess anyways:

Godspeed You Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
Every ****ing thing Mike Patton ever did... hehe, I enjoy me.
The Velvet Underground
Batman, hehe, I get even betterer.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by manorastroman

I don't understand what you're suppose to do so I'll just say the song It's the End of the World as we know.

Bardock42
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I don't understand what you're suppose to do so I'll just say the song It's the End of the World as we know.

A public service announcement followed you home the other day?

manorastroman
the REM song? that song is a blatant retread of subterranean homesick blues. stipe admits it.

velvet underground and sigur ros are excellent additions.

definitely not the refused. certainly categorically not the refused.

i'd also like to nominate godheadsilo.

Bardock42
It's a good song.

-hh-
Originally posted by Deathblow
I'd say El-P, rather than Cannox. As outstanding as the lyricism was on the Ox album, it's the production that really blew peoples' minds. Although it was definitely The Cold Vein that seemed like the record ''sent from the future to save the present'', so officially, it's Cannibal Ox.

Look at that, I just went in a big circle. Like a pigeon, with one mile left, doggy paddling through a bullshit ocean of death, and stuff. thumb up thumb up thumb up

manorastroman
oh yeah, the books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.