Where does the line stop

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marcu
I am assuming (I know, I know..when you assume you make an ass of u and me whistle ) that for those of you who are not Christians you still believe some of the bible to be true. History and such. Am I right? If you do believe some of the bible to be true as a fact of history..where does the line stop for you when related to the idea that there is a God? Do you believe that Jesus walked the earth? That he died on a cross? Does your belief in the whole idea stop at the resurrection of Him? Where does that line become just too fine for you to go on believing?

AngryManatee
for me it stops at the part about Horus and Osiris

marcu
Originally posted by AngryManatee

Uh, I don't know who that is. Are they people in the bible? I'll check that out. confused Thanks for answering btw. smile

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by AngryManatee

laughing u ***hole laughing

marcu
I'm assuming (again) that the guy up there said something not nice? I don't get it.

Alliance
Maybe you should learn history before you judge what is and what is not then.

marcu
Originally posted by Alliance
Maybe you should learn history before you judge what is and what is not then.

You talkin' to me?

I wasn't asking anything more than where in the bible one stops believing ... if in fact some non-believers believe in some of the bible.

I hate history. I won't go there. I can hardly keep up with any weekly bible reading let alone try and figure out who is who and what is what. I go by very meager faith.

Edit: And did I come across anywhere as judgemental? If so, I am sorry.. I certainly didn't mean to come across that way. Really.

Alliance
If you hate history and refuse to study it, how do you expect to determine where the bible is historically accurate and where it is not?

marcu
Originally posted by Alliance
If you hate history and refuse to study it, how do you expect to determine where the bible is historically accurate and where it is not?

I never said I refuse to study it..did i? I have faith. I don't really need to study the bible with the mindset of whether or not something is historically accurate...that's why they call it faith. smile

However, I do read my bible...not like I should though..but when I am reading I am not so worried about who is who so much as life lessons I can use from it. Does that make sense? If I had to read that book and learn the places and the names of all the people..I'd FOR SURE never read it. I don't like history and i don't like math. Just who I am.

But, the point of this thread is that at some point non-believers stop believing it either through faith or fact. I am just wondering who stopped where.

leonheartmm
where every human being falls off it into oblivion. as long as humanity exists, beleiving in relegions which alone profess to know the truth, war and unsung suffering and death will exist.

{referring to the line in the first sentence}

Goddess Kali
It's not that I don't beleive in the Bible or not, that's not the issue. The Bible is a collection of books based on what human beings long ago wrote. Historically, I am sure much of what they write is somewhat true. They were there.

But the rest, in terms of Heaven, Hell, God, Satan, that is all mythology. The concepts of Heaven, Hell, God, Satan all existed prior to Judaism and Christianity

marcu
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
It's not that I don't beleive in the Bible or not, that's not the issue. The Bible is a collection of books based on what human beings long ago wrote. Historically, I am sure much of what they write is somewhat true. They were there.

But the rest, in terms of Heaven, Hell, God, Satan, that is all mythology. The concepts of Heaven, Hell, God, Satan all existed prior to Judaism and Christianity

ok, what parts of the bible do you believe to be true? And if some of it is true and one can say that it is cause people were there and wrote it...then at what point did you decipher SOME truth and not be able to take it all the way with the cross, resurrection and thus Heaven and Hell?

I wish I was better at this kind of stuff. I know in my head what I am asking but it just doesn't seem to come out right on the screen. Sorry.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by marcu
ok, what parts of the bible do you believe to be true? And if some of it is true and one can say that it is cause people were there and wrote it...then at what point did you decipher SOME truth and not be able to take it all the way with the cross, resurrection and thus Heaven and Hell?

I wish I was better at this kind of stuff. I know in my head what I am asking but it just doesn't seem to come out right on the screen. Sorry.

I do beleive that we should all love thy neighbor. I do beleive all life is one. I do beleive that we should turn the other cheek.

I do beleive:

We should not commit adultery
We should not Covet what belongs to our neighbor
We should not steal
We should not kill
We should not bear false witness against our neighbor
We should love others as we love ourselves

The Golden Rule is truly Gold

I DO NOT beleive:

-Homosexuality is an abomination and should be punishable by death
-Women must submit to Men
-In Hell
-In the Existance of God
-Or Satan
-That Slavery is justifiable
-That women should not speak in the Church
-That the sins of the father will be carried to his son
-That Adam or Eve existed
-Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth
-That we can get a free card through Jesus Christ....we are responsible for our own rights and wrongs, and no one can take that way from us
-In Free Will...Free Will is not absolute
-That Jesus was Resurrected- he died and people made a religion out of his wisdom
-etc.etc.etc.

Nellinator
-That women should not speak in the Church
-Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth
They can, we went over this. It was specific to Corinth as a punishment, nothing more. You love doing this to me don't you.

Neither did Jesus.

Goddess Kali
You haven't proven anything. You simply gave me your word, and that's all I had to go by. The quote specifically and directly stated It is a shame for women to speak in the Church, and you have me some hilarious reasoning that the women were being punished for demasculizing thier husbands.

Then we got into the whole "feminity and masculinity" as social constructs argument, and even though I proved to you that social constructs to not truly exist anywhere other than society's perceptions, via. definition, you still insited they did.

I am not interested in arguing this....the Bible is sexist.....sorry it just is.

Nellinator
I am not interested in arguing this....the Bible is sexist.....sorry it just is. Yes, but woman can speak in church and I did prove it. But I concede that this is off-topic.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Nellinator
Yes, but woman can speak in church and I did prove it. But I concede that this is off-topic.

No they can't, they need thier Husband's permission.... stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
I am assuming (I know, I know..when you assume you make an ass of u and me whistle ) that for those of you who are not Christians you still believe some of the bible to be true. History and such. Am I right? If you do believe some of the bible to be true as a fact of history..where does the line stop for you when related to the idea that there is a God? Do you believe that Jesus walked the earth? That he died on a cross? Does your belief in the whole idea stop at the resurrection of Him? Where does that line become just too fine for you to go on believing?

You know, that part in the beginning of the bible? You know, the first page where it gives the publisher and date? That is where I draw the line. I believe that part and nothing more. laughing

Goddess Kali
laughing hysterical lol laughing laughing out loud

Goddess Kali
I am sorry Marcu, i am not trying to discourage you....you have every right to beleive whatever you wish, and you are a kind person.

Marcu your kindness and love is a strength, and it doesn't matter what religion you are...you're strength will take you farther than most of us will ever go

Darth Macabre
I am assuming (I know, I know..when you assume you make an ass of u and me whistle ) that for those of you who are not Christians you still believe some of the bible to be true. History and such. Am I right? If you do believe some of the bible to be true as a fact of history..where does the line stop for you when related to the idea that there is a God? Do you believe that Jesus walked the earth? That he died on a cross? Does your belief in the whole idea stop at the resurrection of Him? Where does that line become just too fine for you to go on believing? Most people believe in the concepts behind the Bible, not the actually people or events. Most people might believe Jesus was a real person, lived and taught, died on the cross, but wasn't resurrected, nor was he the son of God; just a spiritual person who believed in the goodness of all mankind.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You know, that part in the beginning of the bible? You know, the first page where it gives the publisher and date? That is where I draw the line. I believe that part and nothing more. laughing laughing

Nellinator
No they can't, they need thier Husband's permission.... stick out tongue Don't stab Urizen... I mean Kali, don't stab Kali, don't stab Kali...

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Nellinator
Don't stab Urizen... I mean Kali, don't stab Kali, don't stab Kali...

duster

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.