Grindhouse Split or: Why I Won't Be Buying the DVD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117962651.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

I'll be sure to download the first avaible DVD rip, though.

SnakeEyes
That sucks.

Should've known they would do something like that to make the most money possible.

BackFire
That's fine, I'll just buy the superior Planet Terror.

Death Proof or: How girls babble about inane bullshit for no reason, isn't worth owning anyways.

Heaven's Sword
I haven't seen this film yet; is the Tarantino film bad or something?

BackFire
Not bad, really. Had some really good parts.

For the type of film it's supposed to be, it had too much "Tarantino dialogue", and not enough cheesy fun.

Cory Chaos
Originally posted by BackFire

Co-signed, with hopes of a DC.

Cory Chaos
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
That sucks.

Should've known they would do something like that to make the most money possible.

I don't even think it's a money issue. Had DVD, or even VHS, existed in the era of grindhouse cinema, they would have been released seperately for sale or rent. The joint venture was just to re-create the experience. Lest we forget, we're seeing two films for the price of one when you by a ticket for "Grindhouse". If money were an issue, they would have released them seperately in theatres as well as DVD.

That having been said, I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 incarnations of the movie on DVD. Both seperate, and the double feature, intact with trailers as seen in the theatres.

Strangelove
I'm sure they'll release them together in a Special Edition at some point. I'm perfectly fine waiting. Although Planet Terror was indeed more fun than Death Proof, I still liked it a lot.

I love the Dr. Strangelove reference in the title, by the by big grin

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BackFire

Death Proof or: How girls babble about inane bullshit for no reason, isn't worth owning anyways.

yeah, but watching fine ass woman driving one of the finest made american muscle cars like they know whats up is.

Zoe bell, will also probably influence me to buy death proof used for $7 at the exchange

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Strangelove
I'm sure they'll release them together in a Special Edition at some point. I'm perfectly fine waiting. Although Planet Terror was indeed more fun than Death Proof, I still liked it a lot.

I love the Dr. Strangelove reference in the title, by the by big grin

dont forget about the double, ultimate uncut and unrated collectors edition that god wishes he owned. Follwed by the 5th annivesary buy me or your a pathetic loser, followed by the 8th year annivesary yeah you know you want me edition...etc

vintageSW77
i dont give a **** as long as in the UK we get it on the big screen as a whole
i knew it was too good an idea to work
the experiances ive had at my local multiplex dont bode well for the majority getting to grips with the fact that its a double feature they are going to see
there are some seriously moronic cinema goers out there in the UK

Dusty
Weinstein is notorious for being a ****ing douche bag.

If QT and RR have any say in this, the split won't happen.

Cory Chaos
If they want to sell the DVD's, they'll have to split it. Can't sell something people don't want in the first place. It's justified in that the movies are already screening seperately overseas.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
If they want to sell the DVD's, they'll have to split it. Can't sell something people don't want in the first place. It's justified in that the movies are already screening seperately overseas.

wow, finally, us amricans get the better end of the gimmick stick. Damn brits always usually end up with the cooler stuff first, because there americas guinea pigs. Its cool though, This is why they were probably able to make the films for so cheap, because they pre meditated this shit. DvDs make up more grosses than the cinemas ever could.

ragesRemorse

what...but its ok to sell them something they dont want in the first place as long as its in the theaters?

vintageSW77
we are getting it as a whole in the UK
its been confirmed
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462322/releaseinfo

ragesRemorse
well bollocks to you then smile

vintageSW77
they have been sweating ever since the movie split in the UK rumours started
now i can relax

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Heaven's Sword
I haven't seen this film yet; is the Tarantino film bad or something?

Absolutely not....check my review coming later.

As for the split...I'm fine with it...the whole "grindhouse" idea is for the movie theather and NOT the home movie experience.

kiddo44
i hope they do this b/c i would only want Deathproof.

Cory Chaos
Originally posted by Dusty

If QT and RR have any say in this, the split won't happen.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
what...but its ok to sell them something they dont want in the first place as long as its in the theaters?

People won't know wether or not they want it (both movies on one DVD) until they see it in theatres. I personally don't want to own "Death Proof". If I can get "Planet Terror" seperately, with the exact same extras as would be featured on a "Death Proof" release, I'll take the former. In the end, I'll go for whatever offers me more of the movie I actually liked.

Strangelove
Originally posted by vintageSW77
we are getting it as a whole in the UK
its been confirmed
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462322/releaseinfo Originally posted by ragesRemorse
well bollocks to you then smile If it's coming out as a whole in the UK, it will be coming out as whole in the US, I can almost guarantee it.

Myth
Rottentomatoes.com says that the films may be rereleased separately in theaters as well in the U.S. They also said they may potentially include the "missing reel" footage. Thats excited to those like me who have already seen the film, but is overall bad for the movie. I'd like that footage as an extra on a DVD, but not to be integrated into the film itself.

Solo
Planet Terror is great in the sense that there's a lot of zombies and head explosions. But Death Proof involves a certain amount of maturity.

Cory Chaos
Originally posted by Solo
Planet Terror is great in the sense that there's a lot of zombies and head explosions. But Death Proof involves a certain amount of maturity.

Funniest. Quote. Ever.

Please, indulge me.

Wolfie
I'll be getting both of them, I enjoyed them both.

I was actually hoping they'd split the movies on the DVD. Like Disc 1 is Planet Terror and Disc 2 is Death Proof.

But with seperate releases, I hope we don't lose the trailers.

Though it is two seperate movies, it can also be considered one. IMDb lists Grindhouse as a movie. Planet Terror and Death Proof are just segments in the movie.

Solo
Funniest. Quote. Ever.

Please, indulge me.
You disagree that Death Proof requires a certain amount of maturity and Planet Terror - none? Death Proof is far more experimental, and a lot more personal. Not as "mature" as Jackie Brown, sure, but much more so than Planet Terror.

WrathfulDwarf
You can argue that Death Proof is more close to reality than Planet Terror. In that view I see it as more mature and more interesting...

Cory Chaos
Originally posted by Solo
You disagree that Death Proof requires a certain amount of maturity and Planet Terror - none? Death Proof is far more experimental, and a lot more personal. Not as "mature" as Jackie Brown, sure, but much more so than Planet Terror.

No, I disagree that "Death Proof" requires anything more than a elementary school education, and a clear understanding of revenge, because that's all it is. A very basic, slow, dialogue fan appeasing revenge movie. Looking any farther into it is just being needlessly overanalytical of something incredibly simple.

Myth
You can relate to the situation more though.

Cory Chaos
How does that make it any more "mature"? It doesn't.

BackFire
Neither films require more maturity than the other. Planet Terror has a bunch of zombies killing things and blowing up. Death Proof has a bunch of girls babbling about worthless crap and then doing something stupid.

Superfly4000
Death Proof just felt more like an actual film to me. Its hard to watch a movie and say you saw a film. Planet Terror was an extremely good movie, but Death Proof was a well orchestrated film.

Cory Chaos
The reason I feel that "Death Proof" failed (me) is because all Q.T. did was take a grindhouse plot and modernize it, which doesn't work in 2007. It loses its nostalgic feel, it loses it's actual point of being an homage, and in all honesty, it hardly felt like a Tarantino film, given the poor dialogue, the self-agrandizing references to his own movies, the obscure movie talk, the annoying as all hell characters, and poor acting, the wasted talent, the lulls in engaging cinema, and lastly the recycled camera shots from "Reservoir Dogs".

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Superfly4000
Death Proof just felt more like an actual film to me. Its hard to watch a movie and say you saw a film. Planet Terror was an extremely good movie, but Death Proof was a well orchestrated film.

I don't thinks PT can be consider a good movie. Not even a great zombie movie the least to say. It was practically average and recycle theme of every zombie movie ever made. Didn't provide anything new or anything innovative. However I do agree DP was a lot more organize and properly arrange to tell the story.

Dusty
I just want to say Planet Terror and Death Proof were both fantastic (In my opinion). I just felt like Death Proof was the better film because it was more diverse, entertainment wise. I mean, it delivered humorous dialogue from the chick cliques, and had great car scenes (the head-on collision in particular) and Kurt Russel switching from badass predator to pussified quitter, which was absolutely hilarious!

Planet Terror just seemed like I was repetitively watching the same stuff. Gunshot, explosion, gunshot, explosion, gunshot, explosion, explosion, explosion, Bruce Willis, Osama, explosion, helicopter. Still a great movie, I just felt like I had more fun watching Death Proof.

This is all in my opinion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.