What's the difference....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
...between a bad dream and a nightmare?

I was wondering this as I was watching The West Wing. Don't ask.

Kram3r
Nothing. messed

EDIT: Or one is worse than the other?

Strangelove
I thought that a bad dream was a dream that started out normal and turned bad, while a nightmare started out bad. srug

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Strangelove

I was wondering this as I was watching The West Wing. Don't ask. I actually just wrote my mid-term on this. Nightmares adversely effect your physical well-being, while Bad Dreams are just frightening dreams that you remember, but do not awake from. Some say, however, that dreams mixes reality with your subconscious; ie, a bad dream is just reliving a bad or terrifying memory. Nightmares, on the other hand, are illusions; complete fabrications and fiction created by your mind during REM sleep.

Strangelove
You just wrote a midterm on this? What a stroke of luck! eek!

Mišt
A bad dream is when the sex is bad. A nightmare is when its with another man haermm

Strangelove
You finally got Mist back, I see. And what will be the fate of Hax42?

Darth Macabre
You just wrote a midterm on this? What a stroke of luck! eek! Seems like it, doesn't it? But to be honest, it seems like all my psych classes go into extensive work on dreams. smile

InnerRise
Being that as a kid nightmares every night, I know nightmares all to well.

I'd wake up screaming/crying sometimes. Sleepy as hell but afraid to go back to sleep so I'd stay up all night and turn the lights back on.

I was terrified when the time of night came when it was time to go to sleep.

And this went into my early teen years as well I'm sure. Maybe preteens.

It was awful. A lot of reoccuring dreams. The same exact ones. I could rememeber them all with acute accuracy.

God.......glad that's over.....now I only get dreams such as that every blue moon.

And these dreams weren't like...real world dreams.....nothing felt like anything of the real world. And it was especially horrible when I was aware that I was dreaming and I didn't know what to do and I was in this world. Of course I could still be in a sitting like a realtives house or my house or yard, but still.....nothing felt real....sometimes in those in those lucid dreams, I'd just feign death and just drop right where I stand in hope that other things/people/monsters in my dream wouldn't bother me. Other times I'd go and hide.

Many times I died/was killed...a lot of times by relatives and my mom a lot of times as well.

Anyway yeah........turbulent times....I did develop the skill of sometimes being able to wake myself up in those lucid dreams by scrunching my eyes real tight in the dream and simultaneously doing this while I lay in bed and I'd open then simultaneously in the dream and in my bed and wake up. This didn't work all the time though. Some of my nightmares which involved me in my room laying in bed, I could swear that I wasn't really sleeping and it was all happening around me and sometimes I'd be sleep, but not dreaming and I could hear people around me and I couldn't wake up. As if I was unconscious or something.

SO yeah...........one more thing then I'll stop. There this other thing that I still do to this day.

It'll be in the morning and I don't realize it while I'm doing it or after, for exampel ahora mismo I'm just remembering it, but as it's happening I don't realize it, but I can do this thing where I can strain myself awake. It can be hard by I just kind of push myself/strain very hard out of sleep and wake up.

If that even makes sense.

Night night.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Mišt
You finally got Mist back, I see. And what will be the fate of Hax42?

Arr!pirate

Hax will be put into a comatose state so when they give him the lethal injection it will be quick and painless weep

Strangelove

Mišt
His last meal was Irene laughcry

*=DeathReaperr'
Pie I assume?

T.M
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I actually just wrote my mid-term on this. Nightmares adversely effect your physical well-being, while Bad Dreams are just frightening dreams that you remember, but do not awake from. Some say, however, that dreams mixes reality with your subconscious; ie, a bad dream is just reliving a bad or terrifying memory. Nightmares, on the other hand, are illusions; complete fabrications and fiction created by your mind during REM sleep.

Theres not that much difference between them though is there ?

I mean not as much as the difference between nightmares and night terrors..

~Pielover~

I was wondering this as I was watching The West Wing. Don't ask. Well, a bad dream is merely unenjoyable, whilst a nightmare results in the dreamer "Waking up in terror."

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by T.M
Theres not that much difference between them though is there ?

I mean not as much as the difference between nightmares and night terrors.. No, no, the differences are negligible compared to Night Terrors.

Sorgo X
No, no, the differences are negligible compared to Night Terrors.

Night terrors are the worst things ever. It's f*cking terrible. When I was younger, I saw the most twisted, evil and disgustingly frightening images and scenarios when I entered a Night terror.

My doctor labelled me as psychotic because at one point, my life revolved around trying not to sleep and doing irrational and irregular activities. Finally, they just stopped when I turned seventeen.

bogen
Nightmares are just freaky deaky, bad dreams are more of a odd thing, strange to make you uncomfortable enough so you feel alarmed by what you see prehaps?

Sorgo X
Originally posted by bogen
Nightmares are just freaky deaky, bad dreams are more of a odd thing, strange to make you uncomfortable enough so you feel alarmed by what you see prehaps?

I had a sporadic night terror problem. It is worse than any nightmare or bad dream ever because in the beginning of the night terror, you basically feel as if you're half awake still but you can't move, than everything turns dark and you feel a strong sense of fear, danger and hatred as you get dragged into some twisted and dark nightmare, usually consistent with one particular being that threatens you and your family. When you wake up, the night terror is so damaging, it causes memory loss and even seizures sometimes.

Marko
Ever since we moved into this new house both my mum and I have suffered from bad dreams And nightmares. I dont know which are which anymore. My last was one night ago, I had like 3 but the most vivid Was the girl sat infront of me on a bus slitting her wrists and throat she then cut her throat and gave me a gun. Then she hung her self. I think I was supposed to kill myself but I didn't. It was horrid erm

Sorgo X
I have a folder on my drawer filled with my writings of my night terror experiences.

T.M
No, no, the differences are negligible compared to Night Terrors.

Thats what I thought.

ThePittman

I was wondering this as I was watching The West Wing. Don't ask. A bad dream is where you stub your toe, a nightmare is where the toe jumps off your foot and eats your family while you watch wink

Council#13

Strangelove
Originally posted by ThePittman
A bad dream is where you stub your toe, a nightmare is where the toe jumps off your foot and eats your family while you watch wink It's always the toes with you, ain't it? stick out tongue

ThePittman
It's always the toes with you, ain't it? stick out tongue pitt_shifty

InnerRise
Toes make their own Jam.....I think it's called Toe Jam.....Do you like that as well? no expression

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Rogue Jedi
i prefer strawberry jam.

T.M
I don't like jam.

Bigga Nigga420
same here....one time I fed my dog peanut butter and it like licked the top of its mouth for like an hour straight!

InnerRise
Giving a dog peanut butter is not cool man.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Bigga Nigga420
why whats wrong wit that?

BlackSunshine
Stupid question....but I was told that if you die in a dream/nightmare then you die in reality...is this true or is someone telling me a load of B/S? I've had a few dreams where I've died....I've even had on where a lion bit my head off....ermm

T.M
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
Stupid question....but I was told that if you die in a dream/nightmare then you die in reality...is this true or is someone telling me a load of B/S? I've had a few dreams where I've died....I've even had on where a lion bit my head off....ermm

After you had the dreams where you died.. are you still alive ?

BlackSunshine
Originally posted by T.M
After you had the dreams where you died.. are you still alive ?

laughing duh...I just was thinking maybe that has happened to some people. You know the ones that have died in their sleep.

sad

embarrasment

I probably sound like a total idiot.

T.M
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
laughing duh...I just was thinking maybe that has happened to some people. You know the ones that have died in their sleep.

sad

embarrasment

I probably sound like a total idiot.

stick out tongue sorry.. couldn't resist it big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.