Does Supermans powers need a new Origin ? ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-a-m-a-n again

Soljer
Wow, for a new poster, your ideas seem REMARKABLY similar to some of the older, currently banned posters...

Validus
Going to disagree with you on this Yahman.

His origin is Birthright btw.

Endless Mike
The idea of zero point energy has been discredited by most scientists for several years now

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Validus
Going to disagree with you on this Yahman.

His origin is Birthright btw.

Been takling to Brusiek, and he doesn't agree. big grin

dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000111153&tstart=0

Wont let me post the link, because Im a 'new' member. smile

Please don't get me banned to quickly, I wan't to make the night. smile

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Endless Mike
The idea of zero point energy has been discredited by most scientists for several years now

String theory, and Quantum theory haven't though. big grin

Validus
The Birthright origin was revisited in the last issue of Supergirl. Even if some details end up getting retconned, it's still safe to say thats where the majority of ideas are coming from. Byrne's Man of Steel origin hasn't been on the table since Superman #200.

Galan007

-a-m-a-n again
The Birthright origin was revisited in the last issue of Supergirl. Even if some details end up getting retconned, it's still safe to say thats where the majority of ideas are coming from. Byrne's Man of Steel origin hasn't been on the table since Superman #200.

I haven't read it yet, but in what way ? smile

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Galan007
What up Yah.

Actually I've been wanting a change for Superman's powers for some time now.

I say it should stay mainly in the yellow sun department, but also introduce a few new concepts, (as you already listed). smile

Hows it going mate, Mister Master still being a pretentious as ever ? smile

Magee
How about Superman is just a 5th dimension imp with amnesia?!?!?

I watch Pokemon

Galan007
Originally posted by -a-m-a-n again
Hows it going mate, Mister Master still being a pretentious as ever ? smile Nothing ever changes, you know that.

As for this thread,

IMO Superman's powers or what he can do when the time calls for it, have gone far beyond the explination that it mostly comes from the yellow sun.

It just needs a little more "spice"

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Magee
How about Superman is just a 5th dimension imp with amnesia?!?!?

I would hang with that, except it doesn't explain why all the other Kryptonians have powers near his level. smile

Galan007

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Galan007
Nothing ever changes, you know that.

As for this thread,

IMO Superman's powers or what he can do when the time calls for it, have gone far beyond the explination that it mostly comes from the yellow sun.

It just needs a little more "spice"

I've been speaking to Kurt Brusiek recently and it seems like no-one at D.C. has the balls to do anything new. Dan Diddio and everyone seems very confused as to what is cannon and what isn't. I can't believe Im saying it, but Superman needs a new John Bryne, but maybe with a few less screws loose.

Hears Whirly, Avlon, Dvampire, crying at the thought ...

Validus
I would hang with that, except it doesn't explain why all the other Kryptonians have powers near his level. smile
What if all Kryptonians are just offshoots of 5D Imps?

-a-m-a-n again
What if all Kryptonians are just offshoots of 5D Imps?

No problem with that at all ....

Except it wouldn't really explain why there are so many imps, but hardly any Kryptonians. smile

Validus
No problem with that at all ....

Except it wouldn't really explain why there are so many imps, but hardly any Kryptonians. smile
What do you mean? The exploding planet thing still happened.

-a-m-a-n again
What do you mean? The exploding planet thing still happened.

Yess ... and they died in the process, yet there are loads of imps.

Paradox I sense.

Something of this order does need to used to retconn out the current Explanation, e.g. something on the lines of the Speed Force, Power Cosmic, or the Green Lantern Power battery. I.e. something no too scientific, but is something a bit more sci-fi than magic.

Board Walker

UniOmni
^^That is why people laugh at you and don't take you seriously.

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by UniOmni

No it is actually the case, although not actually relevant to the thread at hand. If he decides to use it in a debating sense, then I do implore you to laugh at him. smile

Newjak
You know I've always had an idea on the reason why Superman is Superman.

I've always like the Yellow Sun idea although it did need to be fleshed out more. I think it needs to be that Yellow Sun only acts as a catalyst as mentioned in the opening post. Kind of like a car battery revving up an engine.

Now to my idea of why Superman seems to go beyond normal levels. I always thought the simplest explanation should be he is backed by the source to never loose. Not that he can tape into the source but Fate favors Superman.

Therefore even when he maxes out he still finds a way.

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Newjak
You know I've always had an idea on the reason why Superman is Superman.

I've always like the Yellow Sun idea although it did need to be fleshed out more. I think it needs to be that Yellow Sun only acts as a catalyst as mentioned in the opening post. Kind of like a car battery revving up an engine.

Now to my idea of why Superman seems to go beyond normal levels. I always thought the simplest explanation should be he is backed by the source to never loose. Not that he can tape into the source but Fate favors Superman.

Therefore even when he maxes out he still finds a way.

If he doesn't get the energy from the source though, where does it come from ???????

The yellow Sunlight think could work, if the laws of physics where radically different in the D.C. universe.

For example if the Sun had greater out put of energy by changing the E = mc 2 equation, you could give Superman a lot more energy to work with, but at the same time everything on D.C. earth would be vapourised.

If you some how allowed Superman's body to attract radiation (Like a Black hole) you would be able to bump up his power levels a lot, yet you would also have to take into consideration that he would laso be sucking Radiation away from the earth, making everything invisible and plummeting temps to sub zero. Also the focused radiation descending to his body would have to travel through the atmosphere and would vapourise it in the process.

Maybe D.C. stars Emmit a totally transcendent (Not impossible as all radiation except light was transcendent until a hundred years ago) type of radiation, that is not only intangible, but totally invisible to any objects, other than Superman's body, which presumably is able to attract this radiation and process it. Seems a bit unrealistic though, and one still has the problem of how he stores it without gaining any additional mass.

There's also the idea that he maybe can attract light from the Alternate universes of hyper Time, therefore absorbing the light from numerous Stars simultaneously without affecting the Prime D.C. universe in any way.

Sorry this crap keeps me up at night literally .... embarrasment

Newjak
If he doesn't get the energy from the source though, where does it come from ???????

The yellow Sunlight think could work, if the laws of physics where radically different in the D.C. universe.

For example if the Sun had greater out put of energy by changing the E = mc 2 equation, you could give Superman a lot more energy to work with, but at the same time everything on D.C. earth would be vapourised.

If you some how allowed Superman's body to attract radiation (Like a Black hole) you would be able to bump up his power levels a lot, yet you would also have to take into consideration that he would laso be sucking Radiation away from the earth, making everything invisible and plummeting temps to sub zero. Also the focused radiation descending to his body would have to travel through the atmosphere and would vapourise it in the process.

Maybe D.C. stars Emmit a totally transcendent (Not impossible as all radiation except light was transcendent until a hundred years ago) type of radiation, that is not only intangible, but totally invisible to any objects, other than Superman's body, which presumably is able to attract this radiation and process it. Seems a bit unrealistic though, and one still has the problem of how he stores it without gaining any additional mass.

There's also the idea that he maybe can attract light from the Alternate universes of hyper Time, therefore absorbing the light from numerous Stars simultaneously without affecting the Prime D.C. universe in any way.

Sorry this crap keeps me up at night literally .... embarrasment I was thinking more of the Yellow Radiation taken in by Superman acts as a spark plug.

The best way I can think of putting it is Superman's body takes in the Sunlight and it then begins to cause already absorbed substances to burst. Basically causing miniature Nuclear Reactions except Superman's body doesn't implode on itself instead it because it is distributed among various things such as Heat Vision and his muscles. Thats why his built up energy can exceed what normal Sunlight would give him. So we have the battery in Sunlight. The spark in any one of various made up chemicals you would want. Thus making the engine work. It would also explain why Krptyonite effects Superman because it acts to turn the catalyst sunlight away by filling the areas it would and then it could also began to spend up some of Superman's chemical fuel inside.

As for the source part of my post. It was simple every time Superman goes over whatever logical max he would have. The answer the source simply did not allow him to loose.

-a-m-a-n again
I was thinking more of the Yellow Radiation taken in by Superman acts as a spark plug.

The best way I can think of putting it is Superman's body takes in the Sunlight and it then begins to cause already absorbed substances to burst. Basically causing miniature Nuclear Reactions except Superman's body doesn't implode on itself instead it because it is distributed among various things such as Heat Vision and his muscles. Thats why his built up energy can exceed what normal Sunlight would give him. So we have the battery in Sunlight. The spark in any one of various made up chemicals you would want. Thus making the engine work.

As for the source part of my post. It was simple every time Superman goes over whatever logical max he would have. The answer the source simply did not allow him to loose.

So the yellow sun radiation allows him to convert his organic molecules into energy by some form of cold fusion ?

I like it !!!!!!!! big grin

do you know whats great about that explanation ?, it supported by the Solar absorption idea. For example Plants use solar radiation to fuse organic molecules found in the air. Like Plants maybe Superman attains mass from the air, uses the Sunlight to convert them into the specific compound, which mass fuels by some form of nuclear cold fusion. Maintaining and surving this process would also explain why his durability is so immense. Each cell is like a mini nuclear reactor, but many times more powerful. Sure it wouldn't give him the power of current Supes, but it would definitely make him as powerful as the one in the recent movie.

Newjak
So the yellow sun radiation allows him to convert his organic molecules into energy by some form of cold fusion ?

I like it !!!!!!!! big grin

do you know whats great about that explanation ?, it supported by the Solar absorption idea. For example Plants use solar radiation to fuse organic molecules found in the air. Like Plants maybe Superman attains mass from the air, uses the Sunlight to convert them into the specific compound, which mass fuels by some form of nuclear cold fusion. Maintaining and surving this process would also explain why his durability is so immense. Each cell is like a mini nuclear reactor, but many times more powerful. Sure it wouldn't give him the power of current Supes, but it would definitely make him as powerful as the one in the recent movie. Glad I could help stick out tongue

And like I said every time Superman doesn't die when he should is because the Source doesn't allow him to.
That point actually holds a key point to some ideas I had on possible stories I would like to see from DC

-a-m-a-n again
Glad I could help stick out tongue

And like I said every time Superman doesn't die when he should is because the Source doesn't allow him to.
That point actually holds a key point to some ideas I had on possible stories I would like to see from DC

Interesting, u should talk to Brusiek about those on the D.C. boards. smile

Newjak
Interesting, u should talk to Brusiek about those on the D.C. boards. smile Oh my ideas are pretty radical and probably wouldn't float to well stick out tongue

-a-m-a-n again
Oh my ideas are pretty radical and probably wouldn't float to well stick out tongue

Would they involve dressing Superman in a large maroon dome shaped helmet, and generally going around stating that

'Im the Superman *****' ? smile

Nahhhh To be honnest, i think Kurt could dowith some radical ideas, he seems pretty mudane from talking to him so far. Hard to believe he was writing the JLA/Avengers crossover to long ago. smile

Newjak
Would they involve dressing Superman in a large maroon dome shaped helmet, and generally going around stating that

'Im the Superman *****' ? smile

Nahhhh To be honnest, i think Kurt could dowith some radical ideas, he seems pretty mudane from talking to him so far. Hard to believe he was writing the JLA/Avengers crossover to long ago. smile Maybe shifty

No my favorite idea is the "Ascension" idea I had.

Basically it is a big event that basically does a what happens if the Presence/Source decides to leave the Universe to its own fate.

Basically Fate leaves DC Universe and the forces of Heaven are ordered to seal themselves from the worlds.

It is then we realize just how much the Source played in the things.

One of my favorite ideas about this the idea of having the Green Lanterns being really effected by this. the idea is that the source secretly powered the OA battery to its infinite power levels. Basically when we say Ion or Parallax it was really Hal and Kyle tapping into the source.

But now that the source is gone that infinite energy is gone and only the true OA battery remains. All the GLs meet to discuss it. It is then determined that the only way to have the GLs to each regain their individual power levels is to cut the GL number from 7200 in half to 3600 GLs. With Hal ceremoniously making his ring the first to go and saying that Kyle is the younger and only earth Green Lantern now with the other willing giving their rings up as well.

Although not all wish to give their rings up so renegade GL groups are formed.

My second favorite is when the source ceases to power Darksied that a Civil Wat begins on Apokolips. With One disloyal faction, one under Orion's command, and the forces of Darksied all trying to gain power over the planet.

Oh and another one I like is the idea that Superman maybe isn't as strong as he once thought and his inner battle with facing true doubt about himself for the first time.

-a-m-a-n again
Maybe shifty

No my favorite idea is the "Ascension" idea I had.

Basically it is a big event that basically does a what happens if the Presence/Source decides to leave the Universe to its own fate.

Basically Fate leaves DC Universe and the forces of Heaven are ordered to seal themselves from the worlds.

It is then we realize just how much the Source played in the things.

One of my favorite ideas about this the idea of having the Green Lanterns being really effected by this. the idea is that the source secretly powered the OA battery to its infinite power levels. Basically when we say Ion or Parallax it was really Hal and Kyle tapping into the source.

But now that the source is gone that infinite energy is gone and only the true OA battery remains. All the GLs meet to discuss it. It is then determined that the only way to have the GLs to each regain their individual power levels is to cut the GL number from 7200 in half to 3600 GLs. With Hal ceremoniously making his ring the first to go and saying that Kyle is the younger and only earth Green Lantern now with the other willing giving their rings up as well.

Although not all wish to give their rings up so renegade GL groups are formed.

My second favorite is when the source ceases to power Darksied that a Civil Wat begins on Apokolips. With One disloyal faction, one under Orion's command, and the forces of Darksied all trying to gain power over the planet.

Sounds like a Crisis of Infinite proportions ! wink

Don't you agree mister Mxyy ?

The best thing is, John Bryne Genesis saga backs up alot of your theories. The problem is the saga was so bad, it basically been forgotten, if not entirely retconned out.

Newjak
Sounds like a Crisis of Infinite proportions ! wink

Don't you agree mister Mxyy ?

The best thing is, John Bryne Genesis saga backs up alot of your theories. The problem is the saga was so bad, it basically been forgotten, if not entirely retconned out. laughing

Oh yeah and all the 5D Imps would loose their power and be forced to finally have to live as mortals in the world of men. Which of course they have a hard time adapting to.

But what do you think of the idea.

Good, Bad, What?

Board Walker
Originally posted by UniOmni

hmm what so funny about what I said?

-a-m-a-n again
laughing

Oh yeah and all the 5D Imps would loose their power and be forced to finally have to live as mortals in the world of men. Which of course they have a hard time adapting to.

But what do you think of the idea.

Good, Bad, What?

Vey cool, Infact I think something v simillar will probably be occuring in a years time. I hope so anyway. smile

Newjak
Vey cool, Infact I think something v simillar will probably be occuring in a years time. I hope so anyway. smile Cool thanks for the good words.

And I hope so I do really like the concept of this and I think it could be done in DC so much better than in Marvel.

-a-m-a-n again
Cool thanks for the good words.

And I hope so I do really like the concept of this and I think it could be done in DC so much better than in Marvel.

Thats because according to Queseda 'Marvel is rooted in the real world' un other words meaning big concepts are a little to complicated for his small mind. smile

Newjak
Thats because according to Queseda 'Marvel is rooted in the real world' un other words meaning big concepts are a little to complicated for his small mind. smile Last time I checked the real world didn't have Silver people riding on Surf Boards through the cosmos stick out tongue

Anyways thats probably one of my favorite ideas involving DC I have others that I think are cool.

Redatom65
changing the origin of superman would take away part of the prestige of the character

-a-m-a-n again
Originally posted by Redatom65
changing the origin of superman would take away part of the prestige of the character

I thought this might be a problem and I asked if D.C. would allow for it to happen, and the general consensus was yess ... if the Origin wasn't changed to drastically. smile

Avalonofthewind
I've been speaking to Kurt Brusiek recently and it seems like no-one at D.C. has the balls to do anything new. Dan Diddio and everyone seems very confused as to what is cannon and what isn't. I can't believe Im saying it, but Superman needs a new John Bryne, but maybe with a few less screws loose.

Hears Whirly, Avlon, Dvampire, crying at the thought ...

I actually like what Byrne did. Most of it made sense.

The worst part by far was that he toned down Superman way too much in power...Part of the fun of Superman has always been his ridiculously over the top antics...but the continuity was fine.

Dead planet? Check.

Last kryptonian (besides the Eradicator?) Check.

No powers till late teens. No problem.

Kryptonite not in every corner store? Great.

Living Solar Battery...no problem as long as it's the catalyst for however his powers do work.

Nice simple and clean.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.