Has 9/11 affected comics content?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
I don't mean from a government side. I mean, has anyone noticed writers & artists being very heavy on 'consequences', so to speak.

Battles and casualties that would have been brushed over ten years ago - they linger around now.

H. S. 6
Interesting. Are you talking along the lines of collateral damage?

TricksterPriest
He's got a point. Although, Marvel as usual, is being heavy handed about it. DC did an interesting storyline on this. They setup a reserve squad of the justice league and made it seem as though Faith's power went out of control and killed a bunch of people. When in reality, the whole thing was an illusion. And the people were just trapped underground.

Whereas, Marvel has Nitro blow up a bus, and everything went to hell aka Civil War. stick out tongue

roughrider
When I went to the Marvel Superheroes Science Exhibit, I saw some blown-up art from all the eras. They included the black-cover Spider Man issue from 2001, dealing with the World Trade Center Attack. Seeing villains like Doctor Doom shedding a tear at the damage, working with the likes of Kingpin and Doctor Octopus to help the victims...
It makes me think, even years later, how this sticks in the minds of all these writers & artists who are mostly New York-based.

The conclusion of IC and the beginning of 52, Black Adam confronts Power Girl with the exact number of people who died in the last crisis, down to the last person. This to enforce his view that heroes need to go to greater lengths to keep the world in order.
The decision to exile the Hulk from Earth by the Illuminati - Brian Michael Bendis would retcon the idea that the Hulk has never inadventantly killed someone in his rampaging days. To avoid the potential of further death, Hulk is sent away.
Look at the collateral damage that sparks the beginning of CIVIL WAR. Even the mutant community in the 1980's didn't go through this kind of hand-wringing & fighting over mutant registration. Because death seemed less real then, and not in America?
There are other examples out there, in the last five years.

pr1983
I think its just a more modern theme... i mean, even in movies for years, collateral damage was never an issue, but now i think comics have to be more realistic when it comes to the worlds their heroes in habit...

i think its been a bit too long since 9/11 for it to have too much of an influence on comics to be honest...

i think the likes of civil war is just an extreme case of the consequences of heroes actions...

roughrider
Here's a scene from about twenty-five years ago. NO ONE would dare do this now. eek!

pr1983
Originally posted by roughrider
Here's a scene from about twenty-five years ago. NO ONE would dare do this now. eek!

laughing, sorry, and people wonder why she doesnt use the invisible plane anymore...

guy222
I don't mean from a government side. I mean, has anyone noticed writers & artists being very heavy on 'consequences', so to speak.

Battles and casualties that would have been brushed over ten years ago - they linger around now.

Yes. 9/11 has altered a lot

Validus
Typical Blunder Woman roll eyes (sarcastic)
Originally posted by pr1983
laughing, sorry, and people wonder why she doesnt use the invisible plane anymore...
Infinite Crisis #7 says hi. stick out tongue

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
Typical Blunder Woman roll eyes (sarcastic)

Infinite Crisis #7 says hi. stick out tongue

f*ck... btw, what is that in your sig?

roughrider

i think its been a bit too long since 9/11 for it to have too much of an influence on comics to be honest...

It may be 5 1/2 years since 9/11, but Americans are reminded of it every night they turn on their TVs, and see the quagmire that is Iraq.

No 9/11 attack, no invasion happens like it did.

pr1983
It may be 5 1/2 years since 9/11, but Americans are reminded of it every night they turn on their TVs, and see the quagmire that is Iraq.

No 9/11 attack, no invasion happens like it did.

but thats something completely different now, i dont think people equate iraq with 9/11, and considering the fact that alot of writers and artists nowadays aren't american... for instance mark millar, writer of civil war isnt american... no offense, and i do genuinely mean this, but to alot of people outside america (or arent american), 9/11 just doesnt have that much of an impact on our lives anymore, and it hasnt for a while...

i just dont think it makes that big of a difference to comic writers anymore... iraq being the shambles that it is (imo), i think comic writers are just more interested in making their worlds seem more real, sure they do reference iraq, but stuff like civil war, to me, doesnt have alot to do with the consequences of 9/11, i think its more to do with the fact that nowadays, ugh im going round in a circle... i'll just shut up now... i think i got my point across though...

Validus
f*ck... btw, what is that in your sig?
Kyle Rayner? stick out tongue

pr1983
Kyle Rayner? stick out tongue

no expression

Validus
no expression
It's from The Call of Cthulhu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu

pr1983
It's from The Call of Cthulhu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu

ah, lovecraft, got it...

Skeets
Sexcraft is better..imo..

TricksterPriest
Is that a La Blue Girl reference? naughty

Skeets
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Is that a La Blue Girl reference? naughty
Come again?

Validus
Originally posted by Skeets
Come again?
You don't want to know. sick

Skeets
You don't want to know. sick
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

ORO?

Grimm22
When I went to the Marvel Superheroes Science Exhibit, I saw some blown-up art from all the eras. They included the black-cover Spider Man issue from 2001, dealing with the World Trade Center Attack. Seeing villains like Doctor Doom shedding a tear at the damage, working with the likes of Kingpin and Doctor Octopus to help the victims...
It makes me think, even years later, how this sticks in the minds of all these writers & artists who are mostly New York-based.

The conclusion of IC and the beginning of 52, Black Adam confronts Power Girl with the exact number of people who died in the last crisis, down to the last person. This to enforce his view that heroes need to go to greater lengths to keep the world in order.
The decision to exile the Hulk from Earth by the Illuminati - Brian Michael Bendis would retcon the idea that the Hulk has never inadventantly killed someone in his rampaging days. To avoid the potential of further death, Hulk is sent away.
Look at the collateral damage that sparks the beginning of CIVIL WAR. Even the mutant community in the 1980's didn't go through this kind of hand-wringing & fighting over mutant registration. Because death seemed less real then, and not in America?
There are other examples out there, in the last five years.

That issue of ASM was actually really good

Except of course for that stupid part where the villains show up and cry. I mean I know it was a very dramatic time in the country, but the day Doom sheds a tear for anyone, none the less someone he doesn't even know is the day that Wolverine kills Galactus

roughrider
Originally posted by Grimm22
That issue of ASM was actually really good

Except of course for that stupid part where the villains show up and cry. I mean I know it was a very dramatic time in the country, but the day Doom sheds a tear for anyone, none the less someone he doesn't even know is the day that Wolverine kills Galactus

I know. Any other time, you wouldn't see Doom feeling sorry for America for any reason.

grey fox
Originally posted by Skeets
Come again?

La Blue Girl : Ninja Hentai anime.

LONG LIVE WIKIPEDIA !!!

Martian_mind
I didn't know It was hentai and typed it into a search engine.

At that moment my brother decides to come upstairs.Awkward does not cover it.

Redatom65
laughing out loud

TricksterPriest
What, you don't like tentacles? naughty laughing

ragesRemorse
well louis died in the twin towers right, so i would say that effected superman eh?

pr1983
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
well louis died in the twin towers right, so i would say that effected superman eh?

i assume you mean lois right? some guy named louis? not so much... stick out tongue

and if superman had been there, even the planes hitting the towers would have been an achievement (for the terrorists i mean), and loss of life would have been a bare minimum... hell, he'd have even stopped them from collapsing too...

CasanoVa
Originally posted by grey fox
La Blue Girl : Ninja Hentai anime.

LONG LIVE WIKIPEDIA !!!

I did the exact same thing, headed straight to wikipedia.

Almost tempted to download it.

shifty not that tempted though.

pr1983
out of curiosity i looked it up... until i got to the 'urutsukidoji' part... well, if you've seen it, you'll know why i read no further...

Sparkz
The biggest impact from 9/11 I have seen is the fact that every TV show which included the twin towers is no longer aired, for example if anyone remembers the episode of "The Simpsons" where they go to New York and Homer actually goes into the twin towers etc, That episode hasn't been on TV since 9/11.

I understand it was a bad time etc but it annoys me that the twin towers are cut from everything in case someone see's them on TV and thinks people are being insensitive or whatever, hell they even erased them from the Spider-man movie in the background, its not like half of these media pieces showed a plane flying into them now is it. Then again I think this is all more to do with censoring than anything else, and now the twin towers are apart of that...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by CasanoVa
I did the exact same thing, headed straight to wikipedia.

Almost tempted to download it.

shifty not that tempted though.

I wonder if 9/11 has effected hentai . . .

SpunkySmurph
So am I the only person here who doesn't jump up to research TP's random, disturbing references? no expression

CasanoVa
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
So am I the only person here who doesn't jump up to research TP's random, disturbing references? no expression

Some have presumably heard/seen if before, others are just inquisitive erm

Curiosity gets the better of many a man.

Symmetric Chaos

confused Am I the only one that didn't need to go look it up to know what he meant?

SpunkySmurph

Curiosity gets the better of many a man. Yes, well, I suppose that's nature's way of splitting up those who know, those who are curious, and those who have learned.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
confused Am I the only one that didn't need to go look it up to know what he meant? petpet

pr1983

everyone else was doing it, and well, i was bored... erm

WorldWarHulk

Curiosity gets the better of many a man. I do it all the time.

I didn't need to on this one though, because of the random perverts (Trickster) on this board, have already explained it...

Turns out he thought it meant that Apoc was dressed up as girl...

pr1983
Originally posted by WorldWarHulk
I do it all the time.

I didn't need to on this one though, because of the random perverts (Trickster) on this board, have already explained it...

Turns out he thought it meant that Apoc was dressed up as girl...

laughing

CasanoVa
Those big blue lips are so sexy droolio

I don't mean the lips on his face either haermm

TricksterPriest
Those big blue lips are so sexy droolio

I don't mean the lips on his face either haermm

no expression....................... wow, that was messed up. laughing

La Blue Girl is a parody, it's not even that bad. Now Urotsukidoji on the other hand, there's a reason why Pr1983 didn't say anymore. sick

I can't believe this topic turned into a discussion on hentai..... haermm

spidey-dude

Battles and casualties that would have been brushed over ten years ago - they linger around now. good question there. i know they stopped selling water guns and other toy guns at the stores cause they want kids to support 911.

roughrider
How many times a month would New York get wrecked in Marvel Comics, leading up to 9/11?
Seeing real destruction and devastation outside their windows; it has to have affected the minds of the industry people based there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.