tabs are now against the law!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
http://www.out-law.com/page-7235

I guess this happend a while ago but I just discoverd it today.I went to go to basstabs.net and noticed none of their tab links worked.One link directed me to the tabs publisher who told me about the law.This is complete and utter BS!

Victor Von Doom
Misleading title.

Df02
Ecstasy's been illegal for ages... stick out tongue

But yea, i always thought finding bass tabs for songs i wanted was hard enough, dont need it to be illegal as well -.-

Nellinator
Sucks to be American if that is true. Ultimately real tabs have always been illegal in my understanding, but people's personal ear made tabs or arrangements are allowed as far as I know.

Eccentric
Pirating music is illegal, doesn't mean it has stopped anyone from doing it and it is very easy to do, I wouldn't worry so much. :P

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Nellinator
Ultimately real tabs have always been illegal in my understanding

You can buy them in the shop.

Unless you meant something more specific.

Copyright infringement of course has always been illegal.

Nellinator
Yah, I meant that official tabs have always been illegal to post on the internet because of copyright laws, obviously they can be legally acquired at licensed stores. But people's interpretations and arrangements are allowed and can be very accurate and useful if you want to go that way.

Victor Von Doom
It depends; an 'interpretation' will usually still infringe copyright. They just never did anything about it previously.

Nellinator
According to my understanding, anything you play by ear is fair game for distribution. Of course many people cheat this though...

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Nellinator
According to my understanding, anything you play by ear is fair game for distribution. Of course many people cheat this though...

No, music notation is protected by copyright. If you copy that, you infringe. Doesn't matter that you aren't photocopying it. It would have to be good enough of a copy to infringe, so maybe crap tabs will stay around.

Nellinator
I think transposing is another way around it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.