CHICAGO to be US bid city for 2016 Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alliance
YEAH!

Devil King
Are you from there or are you just excited because they'll be here in the US?

Lana
Awesome eek!

BackFire
Sweet.

Oh wait, i don't care, Olympics are lame.

Alliance
Originally posted by Devil King
Are you from there or are you just excited because they'll be here in the US?

I'm from Chicago. And the Olympics aren't there yet, but the Chicago is now the official US bid.

Robtard
I'd much rather have the "World Cup" here... hate having to wake up at 2:30 in the A.M. to watch a game. But good news nonetheless.

Devil King
Originally posted by Alliance
the Olympics aren't there yet

Oh, I got ya.

Devil King
Originally posted by Robtard
I'd much rather have the "World Cup" here... hate having to wake up at 2:30 in the A.M. to watch a game. But good news nonetheless.

Well, you won't have to if they're here, right? Or are the Olymipcs a 24 hour event?

Nellinator
I'd much rather have the "World Cup" here... hate having to wake up at 2:30 in the A.M. to watch a game. But good news nonetheless. Well, Olympic soccer is still really good. A lot of the good players are under 23.

Robtard
Well, you won't have to if they're here, right? Or are the Olymipcs a 24 hour event?

Oh no, I was talking about the "World Cup" in the first part; different from the Olympics which I don't pay much attention too.

Devil King
Oh no, I was talking about the "World Cup" in the first part; different from the Olympics which I don't pay much attention too.

Oh. Right, I knew the World Cup wasn't the Olympics. But I see you were talking about the World Cup being on at 2 in the morning because it's in Spain or some such place.

Robtard
Oh. Right, I knew the World Cup wasn't the Olympics. But I see you were talking about the World Cup being on at 2 in the morning because it's in Spain or some such place.

"GOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(I added Reign to my Netflix, if it sucks I hold you responsible for my un-entertainment.)

Devil King

Alliance

Ummm...the World Cup was partially hosted here in 1994 @ Soldier Field.

Robtard
Ummm...the World Cup was partially hosted here in 1994 @ Soldier Field.

and what does that have anything to do with me wanting in again and in full?

Robtard

Devil King
(He likes MoTU though... embarrasment )

Ouch, he's gonna get you for that.

lord xyz
London 2012 w00t

Nellinator
Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics is what excites me. Probably because Canada only does well at the Winter Olympics.

KidRock
Originally posted by BackFire
Sweet.

Oh wait, i don't care, Olympics are lame.

Meh, that is what all fat people say.

Barker
Well, there goes our chances at the games too.

Strangelove
YEAH! Is that winter or summer? And who has the 2014?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Strangelove
Is that winter or summer? And who has the 2014? summer

Strangelove
Ah. Thanks

The city to hold the 2014 Winter Olympics hasn't been elected so far. The three candidates are Sochi in Russia, Salzburg in Austria, and PyeongChang is South Korea.

I was curious srug

Naz
eek! I lover the Olympics!

lord xyz
Ah. Thanks

The city to hold the 2014 Winter Olympics hasn't been elected so far. The three candidates are Sochi in Russia, Salzburg in Austria, and PyeongChang is South Korea.

I was curious srug It's 2007, I think we can wait.

Strangelove
Tell that to Alliance stick out tongue

Alliance
I CANNOT WAIT

Copenhagen 2009 HERE I COME.

(we must improve our bid first smile)

Adam_PoE

Eis
YEAH!
The US has been host of the Olympic Games about 4 times already, I think it'd be better a more underdeveloped country hosted it as a chance to stimulate its economy.

I'm with BackFire though, the Olympics are lame.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by KidRock

Yeah....Because watching other people exercise works wanders.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Eis
The US has been host of the Olympic Games about 4 times already, I think it'd be better a more underdeveloped country hosted it as a chance to stimulate its economy.

I'm with BackFire though, the Olympics are lame. Well by 2016 the U.S. wouldn't have hosted one for 14 years.

Still, you're right, Africa has never hosted the Olympic games, and it would be nice if they could get a chance

Bardock42
Well by 2016 the U.S. wouldn't have hosted one for 14 years.

Still, you're right, Africa has never hosted the Olympic games, and it would be nice if they could get a chance

A-and?

Alliance
an olympics would not stimulate an economy if there is already not enough economy to run the games themselves.

Bardock42
an olympics would not stimulate an economy if there is already not enough economy to run the games themselves. That is true...though why should the US get it again...there are more fair possible places. It just seems like teh US gets an amazing advantage because of their power...

Alliance
The US has an advantage because it has an incredible number of cities that can host the games.

I garuntee in immediate future years we will see games in South America, Africa, the Middle East, or Southeast Asia. However, a lot of these cities are bidding for the first/second time and thier bids aren't quite up to speed yet.

Even Rio is giong to have trouble with issues of crime and economics.

However, the IOC will be pushing for newcomers, which is why the US has a good shot now (post-Asia, post-Europe) and pre-these new countries.

Eis
an olympics would not stimulate an economy if there is already not enough economy to run the games themselves.
No one's suggesting the games be in Somalia, there are plenty of developing countries which could use the international spotlight way more than the United States.

Devil King

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Eis
No one's suggesting the games be in Somalia, there are plenty of developing countries which could use the international spotlight way more than the United States.

Why blame america? Why not blame the organization that decides where the olympics will be held. though, i dont like the olympics, i dont think the point of the games are the city that hosts them. From what i remember all the games in the past have been held in countries that offer forigners great accomodations. USA is safe and very easy to get access into the country. I'm not sure, but i would think that these factors would offer alot in the way of the decision making

JacopeX
World Cup > Olympics.

Alliance
OLYMPICS >> World Cup

chillmeistergen
OLYMPICS >> World Cup

Absolutely not.

Nellinator
I believe it is Russia's turn in 2016, but it depends what they are willing to put into it. Also, World Cup 2010 in South Africa is a big step for international tournaments.

Alliance
You're going for Russia right after London? They must have a spectacular bid. They better not get 2014 then.

And yes, 2010 WC in South Africa is very exciting. Every international sporting organization in the world will be watching that.

Nellinator
Why not, I kind of see Eastern Europe as seperate from Western Europe in these terms because of the competition that used to exist in the Olympics between the western and Soviet worlds.
True, if they get 2014 they shouldn't get 2016, nor will they likely want them both.

BackFire
Originally posted by KidRock

Lies.

There are many fat people who watch the olympics.

Why? I dunno. They hate exercising, why watch it?

Devil King
Originally posted by BackFire
why watch it?

That's how I feel about all sports. I like to play them, but watching them is a concept that escapes me.

WrathfulDwarf
Congrats Chicago! The city of Brotherly...err...I mean the windy city. stick out tongue

I was just a young kid when the Olympics took place in Los Angeles. I do remenber some of the festivities and events before, during and after. It was a fun experience for me.....hope you kids have fun in 2016.

Adam_PoE
Don't placate me.

I do not feel compelled to pretend to like something that I do not like.

Robtard
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Absolutely not.

Agreed!

Alliance
Rio look like it will get the 2014 World Cup now. Columbia withdrew this morning...more good news for Chicago.

JacopeX
I doubt my country would Make the world cup to S.A. But I bet my balls they would make 2014. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.