Who would you have preferred to direct one of the Prequels?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
Who, in your mind, would you have preferred to direct one of the prequels?

Obviously Lucas is a great visionary director, but directors like Kershner have shown you can create emotion out of a Star Wars script, and still have it stand up as arguably the best SW film (that being Empire).

If you had a choice, pretend your a Roman Emporer and a thumb up or down determines who directs it (prequel of your choice), who would you let touch the saga?

Some thoughts out of mine include Spielberg, bring Kershner out of the wilderness, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott too name a few. Hell, I'd even love to see what Scorsese might do with it.

Of course, Lucas would never let a Star Wars film too far out of his executive reachers, so some directors would be comprimised, but still, it could lead to a fun discussion.

AstroFan
*waits for first Peter Jackson comment* roll eyes (sarcastic)

vintageSW77
I like what Lucas did with ANH and ROTJ..for those still unaware Lucas did the majority of work on Jedi by the end Marquand was nought but assistant director
its interesting that Kershner hated anything involving effects and passed directing those secquences onto two others
Kurtz directed one noteable scene i recall reading though il have to go back and find what it was and another guy did the other stuff he passed on
thats recent news to me

Speilberg passed on Jedi so it would have been interesting to see him do a Prequel

the guy who did 300 and the remake of Dawn of the Dead whos name escapes me mightve done a good PT flick

exanda kane
What, all style, no substance? smile

Isn't it Zach something? Anyway, my opinion is that the PT was merely style over substance, so that director would definetly do.

vintageSW77
im just being realistic
if Lucas had ducked AOTC and SITH thats the like wed have got

exanda kane
No, realisticly, it would not have made much of a difference at all, not with that script, but still, we can hope.

Alliance
I would have liked to have had influence in the creative process.

queeq
Spielberg said he would have loved to do one of them, but Gl anted to do it himself.

Brian Singer might have been an interesting choice.

exanda kane
Brian Singer, didn't think of him at all, that'd be very interesting.

vintageSW77
I just gave the 300 guy up as someone whod be the typical guy to have done a prequel if Lucas passed it on
i cant say of a director who i rate personally as im a more a horror fan than any other genre so if i was to pick a fave director of mine to do a PT flick itd be a ****ing weird flick
Dario Argento does AOTC....thatd be mental
mind you Cronenberg and Lynch were up for the OT so maybe that aint so far fetched

Singer would have been interesting for SITH or Del Toro
if Edgar Wright can do semi serious as opposed to comedy hed have been great ...with help from his his freind Simon Pegg of course
they love the OT and hate the PT...they were very vocal about their loathing of TPM
Scorsese i dunno

exanda kane
Lynch would make one strange SW film, I'm sure, but it might be entertaining, certainly. There is a rumour that he could always direct Jurassic Park 4, as the expected director said he wasn't interested. That'd be fun. David Lynch playing with dinosaurs. What a thought.

I'd wonder what Scorsese could do with it; he is much more interested in character motivations, so the story of Anakin could be a whole lot more complex. Order 66 could be a laugh with Marty Scorsese too.

I'm now thinking of Francis Ford Coppola, a close friend of Lucas', but
he is pretty individual too as a director. Just thinking of the scope he could give, while still telling a great story. Plus, throw his cinematographer in too, and he Jedi Council scenes would be alot more interesting.

Count Makashi
Brian Singer would be a great choice, the PT would have a shocking twists in all the tree PT movies, like that Jar Jar, was really the puppet master all along. At the end of ROTS, Sidious gets a call and immediately becomes afraid, he answers the call and bows down and Jar Jar appears and Sidious says, everything has gone as you planed my Master. That would be shocking

vintageSW77
no thats if the Waayans directed the PT

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Count Makashi
Brian Singer would be a great choice, the PT would have a shocking twists in all the tree PT movies, like that Jar Jar, was really the puppet master all along. At the end of ROTS, Sidious gets a call and immediately becomes afraid, he answers the call and bows down and Jar Jar appears and Sidious says, everything has gone as you planed my Master. That would be shocking

A part of me inside died when I heard that. laughing

queeq
Actually... that would have been interesting and I'm sure all people would consider Jar Jar the new greatest movie villain of all time. He made us hate him when we felt we didn't mean to... Pure genius.

overlord
Anyone with an extreme taste in movies. We always need more gore.

queeq
Darth JarJar.... hehehehe

exanda kane
Aye, Jar Jar is has cuased more of an uproar than Vader, Maul, Dooku or Sidious. All hail the true dark lord of the sith.

Schecter
i would have preferred any competent director who trusted his actors and gave them freedom to grow into their character and come up with their own ideas, like in the OT.

people insist that overly used CGI and bad actors killed the PT. i think thats bullshit. even the "wooden" hayden has proven himself a splendid actor in other films, and you can never have too much cgi so long as the focus is not primarily on the animation (look what we can do!!! looky looky!!!)

sithsaber408
I'd go with Spielberg or Singer I guess.

PiruBlood
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I'd go with Spielberg or Singer I guess.

spielberg yes singer hell no .

i thought sam rami couldve done the job perfect but with lucas's direction of the vision.

Count Makashi
Clint Eastwod, in his movies their are always well developed characters.

exanda kane
Originally posted by PiruBlood

i thought sam rami couldve done the job perfect but with lucas's direction of the vision.

Better Singer than Raimi.

queeq
Why not Singer? He's an extremely capable director and able to get his actors comfortable and feeling free.

exanda kane
Might have something to do with people not understanding Superman Returns. Bit of a backlash from that in his direction.

queeq
Ah... so what about X-Men 1&2 then. And the Usual Suspects.

roughrider
So George Lucas decides to stand back again, and picks directors for the three films. And each film has a different purpose and emotional feeling, evolving towards great darkness of course.

Looking back...

Episode I - Steven Spielberg or Alfonso Cuaron
Episode II - Martin Scorsese or Martin Campbell
Episode III - George Miller or Francis Ford Coppola

vintageSW77
i dont think Scorsese or Coppola are right for SW

as for Sam Rami well he has had experiance unrealistic CGI characters so he has previous

exanda kane
I think, as said, Coppola would make an interesting Episode III. He'd take it in a new direction too, with his own individual slant.

Scorsese's style and whole background don't fit with Lucas' vision at all, but I'd love to see what he would do with some characters.

yettoh
parrots should of directed the prequals droolio

roughrider
I mention Spielberg, Scorsese and Coppola because they are George Lucas' three oldest and closest friends in the film industry. They are the big four to come out of the last golden age of the early 1970's. Originally, I didn't think of Scorsese but thought it would be rude to leave him off the list - if he was game for big FX and action ( Gangs Of New York & The Aviator shows he can do epic-sized films.) I'd give him Ep. II, because Coppola would be perfect for Ep. III - did anyone else think of The Godfather, with all the climatic treachery and death in that film?

Of course if it's not those three, the other trio would be my alternates.

queeq
Scorsese???? Strange....
I bet Joe Pesci would be cast to play Anakin. Then we'd really see how evil he is. wink

exanda kane
Sidious: Jesus Ani, your a funny guy.

Anakin: What? I'm a funny guy? How am I funny?

Sidious:

Anakin: Tell me you prick, how am I funny? I'm funny? I amuse you?

Sidious: Yeah, y'know, your a...eh

Anakin: How am I funny? Tell me that? How am I funny? I'm a clown? I amuse you?

Sidious: I don't know Ani, it was just something you, err, I don't know, err, the way you killed those sandpeople..

Anakin: You think I'm funny? You mean, the way I talk? Funny how? What's funny about it?

Instant classic that.

queeq
Absolutely. How about this one, the Mustafar dialogue redone:

OB1: You've done that yourself!

Anakin: Back- Back up, back up a ****in' minute here. One minute. I did that? When the **** did I do that myself? Get this through your head, you...

OB1: You never...

Anakin: Get this through your head you Scottish mother****er, you. You only exist out here because of me. That's the only reason. Without me, you, personally, every ****in' Sith skell around'll take a piece of your ****in' Scot ass. Then where you gonna go? You're ****in' warned. Don't ever go over my ****in' head again. You mother****er, you.
I'm what counts out here. Not your ****in' Jedi Council or your ****in' Clone Wars. And what the **** are you doin' here on Mustafar anyhow?

OB1: What are you...

Anakin: You know I get calls from the Council every ****in' day? They think that you went batsh!t.

OB1: I'm only here because I gotta stop you. You understand that. You know that. Come on.

Anakin: Your ****in' ass. You were just to scared to take on Palpatine. You wanted to come here.

OB1: Yeah, I did want to come here. That way I can fight back. I'm known. They know they can't **** around with me like they could if I was an unknown. That's right.

Anakin: You're makin' a big ****in' spectacle of yourself.

queeq
Again: instant classic.

queeq
Or Anakin to Cliegg after retrieving his mother:

A lot of holes in the desert, and a lot of problems are buried in those holes. But you gotta do it right. I mean, you gotta have the hole already dug before you show up with a package on your swoop bike. Otherwise, you're talking about a half-hour to forty-five minutes worth of digging. And who knows what sand people come along in that time? Pretty soon, you gotta dig a few more holes. You could be there all ****in' night.

queeq
Okay here's another one.

OB1: Did you marry Padme?
Anakin: What?
OB1: Did you marry Padme?
Anakin: How do you ask me that? I'm your brother and you ask me that? Where do you get you're balls big enough to ask me that?
OB1: I'm gonna ask you again, did you or didn't you? Just answer the question.
Anakin: I'm not gonna answer that. It's stupid. It's a sick question and you're a sick f*ck and I'm not that sick that I'm gonna answer it. I'm leaving, If Palpatine calls tell him I went home. You know what you should do? Do a little more f*cking and a little less teaching, so you don't have to blame it all on me and everybody else, you understand me? You're cracking up! Ya' f*cking screw ball ya'!

roughrider
laughing laughing laughing

queeq
Yep

Count Makashi
You should have done the PT queeq.

queeq
I'd have loved to.

exanda kane
Hah! Nice posts their Queeq (y)

Would love to say I'd do the PT, but I wouldn't trust my hands at the moment, practice makes perfect though, and also I have no real interest in the story of the PT.

queeq
Could have been great.

yettoh
yeah if queeq did it kmc might be famous err smile

queeq
Isn't KMC famous then?

overlord
KMC is one of the biggest goddamn forums I know. But maybe I'm simple, I don't know.

queeq
You're quite clever you know, for a retarded debator.

Count Makashi
If queeq directed it, it would get like 12 Oskars , on a 1 film.

queeq
Sucking up to me now, eh?

Count Makashi
No, just admitting your greatness.

overlord
And Queeq approves, you are now the new moderator! Congratulations.
schnauz

queeq
No, just admitting your greatness.

About time. wink

Count Makashi
It can never to be to late.

queeq
True.

Count Makashi
So, can i be Mod now?

queeq
No.

Smoki
ridley scott

queeq
Hmmm... even though I love Ridley... I doubt he'd be any good for SW. It'd look ubersmashing though.

exanda kane
It certainly wouldn't have the universal appeal of SW as it is now, however, I've always likened the 2018 Los Angeles to Coruscant or any other futurist metropolis, with it's "used future" look, and Rick Deckard to some struggling private investigator on Coruscant, maybe hunting down assasin droids.

Or even a mining vessel recieving a distress call in the deepness of space, and then picked off one by one by a monster, some result of a failed cloning experiment or something.

It's the stories that Scott directs so well, he's very good with actors, unlike old George and I only find it's superficial differences between settings that set them apart.

queeq
True. But then Ridley si also about a very layered style of storytelling. Some movies feel very superficial, while they are not. Take Gladiator with its many subtleties below the surface. That really makes the characters and the story come to life. Same with Black hawk Down, that movie wasn't that interesting te first time I saw it, but it has many subtle layers built into that, which do make the movie interesting.
But SW is not about layers, it's baout straight forward storytelling... or supposed to be anyway.

exanda kane
Yes, Star Wars as we know it is very straight forward in its story telling, but I've always found the SW license and trademarks could be used in any kind of story, the rolling credits in space, the wipe edits and the music; these iconic devices but which could be very flexible if used correctly.

"Along time ago in a galaxy ago, in a galaxy far far away" and I'm pretty much hooked, even if in hindsight I'm not overly impressed with the film, but it drags me in and I'll watch any damn thing that enters those frames, regardless of whether its SW or not.

I'm sure I've hammered on about a noir set in Coruscant about some shady smuggler or pirate before, and that's just one story I think would still fit into the SW galaxy, even if it isn't the "kids story" of the films.

queeq
Besides, Scott is an absolute dominant general on the set. He could never work with Lucas.

exanda kane
Lets just take Lucas outta the equation then smile

Would work for me.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by exanda kane
Who, in your mind, would you have preferred to direct one of the prequels?

Obviously Lucas is a great visionary director, but directors like Kershner have shown you can create emotion out of a Star Wars script, and still have it stand up as arguably the best SW film (that being Empire).

If you had a choice, pretend your a Roman Emporer and a thumb up or down determines who directs it (prequel of your choice), who would you let touch the saga?

Some thoughts out of mine include Spielberg, bring Kershner out of the wilderness, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott too name a few. Hell, I'd even love to see what Scorsese might do with it.

Of course, Lucas would never let a Star Wars film too far out of his executive reachers, so some directors would be comprimised, but still, it could lead to a fun discussion.

Quentin Tarantino-

"Did you see a sign out here that said dead Jedi storage?"

queeq
"Say what one more time, Palpatine! I dare you, Jedi-f****"

exanda kane
If Tarantino filmed the prequels Star Wars, there would be no difference whatsoever between his and the Lucas films; Tarantino has made a living of rehashing others material, he'll do it again.

Count Makashi
How about Sergio Leone, i know he is dead, but what if he was alive.

queeq
Hmmm... dunno.

exanda kane
I like the thought of it. Screw the Jedi, we'd have Smuggler shoot outs at dawn.

queeq
Sweaty extreme close-ups of Jedi ready to battle it out...

exanda kane
I have a new choice for a nice piece of PT melodrama. Paul Thomas Anderson.

queeq
He would make SW too in depth...

exanda kane
Exactly. Isn't that what Lucas wanted though? Gone is the B movie hysteria and he supplants it with Freudian philosophy and aliens with phallic shaped heads.

queeq
laughing out loud

I doubt he wanted to make it a very psychological in-depth film.

exanda kane
I dunno...Obi-Wan as a surrogate father, Padme as the surrogate mother...the Jedi with the phallic shaped head saying "Your thoughts are resting on your mother"...he was trying something.

Count Makashi
Who is Paul Thomas Anderson, which movies did he direct.

exanda kane
Boogie Nights and the stellar Magnolia.

Count Makashi
Never heard of them.

exanda kane
They are primarily character driven pieces, and not your usual Hollywood film. Great ensembles in all of them though.

Count Makashi
Is there at least some action, does somebody die in it. I am not interested in dramas.

exanda kane
Oh, lots of people die, in particular one woman in Boogie Nights dies while someone is - well, better not give it a way shall I.

Of course Paul Thomas Anderson is not a good choice to direct the PT (although he's a deft hand at father-son relationships) but I just meant to illustrate what a complete douche Lucas can be.

Count Makashi
The biggest douche in Universe(do you remember that South Park episode)

queeq
Is there at least some action, does somebody die in it. I am not interested in dramas.

If you don't like drama, you don't like movies.

exanda kane
The biggest douche in Universe(do you remember that South Park episode)

I do actually, quite a laugh.

queeq
I bet it was.

Count Makashi
Originally posted by queeq
If you don't like drama, you don't like movies.

Well, of course i like character development, great characters, i meant i don't like movies, like my mom watches, you know, about a girl being raped, a pregnant girls, who's boyfriend just dumped her, that kind of movies.

Count Makashi
Originally posted by exanda kane
I do actually, quite a laugh.

Which is your favorite South Park episode?

queeq
THe one with Kenny?

General G
sick ...South Park...

queeq
It's funny...

General G
I don't like it.

queeq
THat's your right.

General G
I don't understand the point of it.

exanda kane
It's a satire. And it's a damn sight funnier than blasted Family Guy. The manatee's!!!

General G
Family Guy can be pretty funnny.

Alliance
Yes.

queeq
SP just dumps a load of crap on everyone and everything. Most of the times that's very funny.

exanda kane
Yeah, and strangely it doesn't leave you with the same feeling you get with Family Guy; that although it may be funny, it is just a couple of irrelevant jokes strung together. I don't feel that with South Park.

queeq
That's like quoting the South Park episodes about Family Guy...

I never saw FG myself though.

General G
You should watch it sometime.

exanda kane
That's like quoting the South Park episodes about Family Guy...

I never saw FG myself though.

Oh it certainly is, don't get me wrong. I'd always had a nagging feeling about Family Guy, I just couldn't put it into words, something that although laugh out loud funny at times, was missing something. trey Parker and Matt Stone done their job.

General G
What is Family Guy missing?

exanda kane
Heart, I guess. Something the Simpsons and Futurama have in abundance and South Park gets by without because it's simply downright provocative and crude.

Unlike the Simpsons or it's twin, Family Guy cannot write a humurous, but enjoyable episode that borders on touching; something like the Bleeding Gums Murphy episode or similar. Family Guy doesn't have episodes of that quality.

General G
Yeah, I could see that. Never really thought of it like that.

queeq
How popular is it?

Alliance
I find Family Guy's humor more likable than Simpsons...I never watch South Park because its too crude.

Count Makashi
Originally posted by General G
sick ...South Park...

Why is that, because they insult Canada so much?

General G
No, that doesn't bother me.

Alliance
Why is that, because they insult Canada so much? You can't argue with fact.

queeq
laughing out loud

General G
Originally posted by Alliance
You can't argue with fact.

Not fact. Canada kicks ass. We have never lost a war. 313

Alliance
You've never been able to fight a war.

I read a historical fiction once where the British decided to surrender to the US during the war of 1812. As part of the treaty, the surrendered Canada.

I lold.

queeq
Canada fought in WWII... I guess that makes them co-winners of that war.

exanda kane
Why would Britain decide to surrender? We have much better food than the yankees...

General G
Canada fought in WWII... I guess that makes them co-winners of that war.

And WW1, and although not offically, in the Korean and Vietnam war as well.

Count Makashi
You were just extras.

General G
Extras that kicked ass.

Alliance
or brought the real troops food.

You were our b!tches smile

General G
The hell we were! We fought and died out there too, and we never brought food but our own.

queeq
I think under the circumstances that counts.

General G
What counts?

queeq
The Canadian deaths. Pay attention, G.

General G
My bad. Yeah, they counted, what would the U.S. have done without us.

queeq
Erm... bad question.

Count Makashi
My bad. Yeah, they counted, what would the U.S. have done without us.

Win the war sooner.

General G
The term is later, not sooner, I will let this one pass.

queeq
You didn't.

General G
I kind of did.

queeq
You kind of didn't.

General G
But I didn't go any further, I could have.

queeq
I doubt it.

Alliance
laughing out loud GG phails.

queeq
Again.

Count Makashi
He was born under the sign of Lame.

General G
Again.

Never!

queeq
He was born under the sign of Lame.

laughing out loud

Alliance
Never!

Always.

queeq
Ever again.

ragesRemorse
ridley scott,james cameron or darren aronofsky smile

amity75
John Woo.

Alliance
sick

laughing out loud

General G
no expression

amity75
Actually the ultimate person to direct at least one of the movies (if he wasn't unfortunately dead) would be Akira Kurosawa, Lucas's hero. The man had such amazing vision. Check out "Ran", it makes LOTR look like a Lindsay Lohan movie.

Alliance
but her movies are so meaningful to me...

queeq
laughing out loud

General G
laughing out loud

queeq
The laugh chip seems to work.

General G
Yup.

Alliance
*chucks EMP*

"blip..........blip..........blip.....blip....blip.....blip.....blip.blip.blip.blip.blip"

General G
You clones never get it.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>