Biggest Issues for 2008 Candidates

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath

Dreamt
What will be the biggest? Iraq.

Strangelove
I voted other because I think it's a toss between National Security and the Iraq Civil War

PiruBlood
i would say the iraq war will be dealt with first. with the economy coming in second

sithsaber408
You messed up the poll.

By having the war in Iraq and the War on Terror as seperate issues.

We're fighting Al-Queda and Iran over there too, don't forget.

Quiero Mota
Theyre stance on the war will outweigh any of the domestic shit in next year's election.

And of course, personality always matters.

Strangelove
Originally posted by sithsaber408
You messed up the poll.

By having the war in Iraq and the War on Terror as separate issues. They are separate issues roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Civil War in Iraq has nothing to do with the War on Terror.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Strangelove
They are separate issues roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Civil War in Iraq has nothing to do with the War on Terror.

So we are not fighting Al-Quieda insurgents and Iranian fighters there?

If we lose the war in Iraq, we will gain a state that is controlled and run by islamic militant radicals who want to attack us and our interests.

I'd say that makes it part of the War on Terror.

Now I'm not connecting Saddam and 9/11, so don't take it that way.

But the War on Terror (read: war on Radical Islam) isn't just against Al-Queida.

It's against any radical group with stated or demonstrated intentions of harming the U.S. or it's interests.

Saddam may or may not have fit into that category, but he was certainly what we'd call "a terrorist", mustard gassing his own people and whatnot. Killing those who opposed him.

The War on Terror means: putting a stop to anybody that would hurt us, or stopping them from being able to. Or pre-emptively preventing them from planning it. Or assisting a nation or group in such activities.

Now I'm not saying that I believe such a broad and massive policy will work, but looking at the War on Terror as defined, Iraq certainly falls into that category.

Fëanor
What's important is Education and Healthcare. All the others are just fluff.

Strangelove
So we are not fighting Al-Quieda insurgents and Iranian fighters there?

If we lose the war in Iraq, we will gain a state that is controlled and run by islamic militant radicals who want to attack us and our interests.

I'd say that makes it part of the War on Terror.

Now I'm not connecting Saddam and 9/11, so don't take it that way.

But the War on Terror (read: war on Radical Islam) isn't just against Al-Queida.

It's against any radical group with stated or demonstrated intentions of harming the U.S. or it's interests.

Saddam may or may not have fit into that category, but he was certainly what we'd call "a terrorist", mustard gassing his own people and whatnot. Killing those who opposed him.

The War on Terror means: putting a stop to anybody that would hurt us, or stopping them from being able to. Or pre-emptively preventing them from planning it. Or assisting a nation or group in such activities.

Now I'm not saying that I believe such a broad and massive policy will work, but looking at the War on Terror as defined, Iraq certainly falls into that category. The characterization of The Iraqi Civil War as the "central front in the War on Terror" is bullshit. Iraq was an arbitrary preemptive war conducted with faulty intelligence.

I agree that Saddam Hussein was a authoritarian dictator who needed to be stopped, but under American occupation, Iraqis are actually worse off than they were under Hussein. He had no WMDs. He was not an imminent threat. As horrible as it sounds, I would rather have a smaller amount of Iraqis killed by a ruthless dictator than by the hundreds of thousands as collateral damage in a bungled police action.

We should get back to the actual War on Terror (al-Qaeda, the Taliban, Osama bin Laden) in Afghanistan (which has almost completely reverted to Taliban control due to our 'distraction' in Iraq), and find the actual mastermind of the 9/11 attacks.

We should train the Iraqi army and police and then GTFO

sithsaber408
The characterization of The Iraqi Civil War as the "central front in the War on Terror" is bullshit. Iraq was an arbitrary preemptive war conducted with faulty intelligence.

I agree that Saddam Hussein was a authoritarian dictator who needed to be stopped, but under American occupation, Iraqis are actually worse off than they were under Hussein. He had no WMDs. He was not an imminent threat. As horrible as it sounds, I would rather have a smaller amount of Iraqis killed by a ruthless dictator than by the hundreds of thousands as collateral damage in a bungled police action.

We should get back to the actual War on Terror (al-Qaeda, the Taliban, Osama bin Laden) in Afghanistan (which has almost completely reverted to Taliban control due to our 'distraction' in Iraq), and find the actual mastermind of the 9/11 attacks.

We should train the Iraqi army and police and then GTFO

Wow, a post that I 100% agree with.

Either I'm getting smarter, or you must be getting dumber, eh? stick out tongue

Except that The War on Terror is just with al-Qaeda and Afghanistan, but that's a small matter. And that whether we like it or not, Iraq IS NOW part of the war on terror, because we can't let terrorists get ahold of it. erm

Strangelove
Except that The War on Terror is just with al-Qaeda and Afghanistan, but that's a small matter. And that whether we like it or not, Iraq IS NOW part of the war on terror, because we can't let terrorists get ahold of it. erm I'm not saying that the War on Terror is limited to al-Qaeda or Afghanistan, but that's why we started it in the first place, so why ignore it in favor of a mistake of our own making?

And I mentioned training the Iraq army and police for the express reason that I would not want Iraq in the hands of terrorists either.
I guess I'm just more practical than you thought wink

sithsaber408
I'm not saying that the War on Terror is limited to al-Qaeda or Afghanistan, but that's why we started it in the first place, so why ignore it in favor of a mistake of our own making?

And I mentioned training the Iraq army and police for the express reason that I would not want Iraq in the hands of terrorists either.
I guess I'm just more practical than you thought wink

Darn it, stop that.

Now we really agree on the issue. miffed:

Ah well.

Abortion, then? stick out tongue

Strangelove
*bicker bicker, argue argue, questioning character, & so on and so forth* big grin

Alliance
You messed up the poll.

By having the war in Iraq and the War on Terror as seperate issues.

We're fighting Al-Queda and Iran over there too, don't forget.

Actually, according to the US military, its mostly insugent groups, not Al-Queda. Besides, Al-queda wasn't in Iraq until we let them in.

Nice try diverting from reall issues though.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Alliance
Actually, according to the US military, its mostly insugent groups, not Al-Queda. Besides, Al-queda wasn't in Iraq until we let them in.

Nice try diverting from reall issues though.

Was just clarifying, that's all.

Whether it started that way or not, Iraq IS NOW part of the war on terror, as we can't let it fall to radical Islamic groups.

^^^^See above discussion for further details. stick out tongue

Alliance
Was just clarifying, that's all.

Whether it started that way or not, Iraq IS NOW part of the war on terror, as we can't let it fall to radical Islamic groups.

^^^^See above discussion for further details. stick out tongue

Perhaps we can invade more nations to spread the War of Terror?

We'll just stay in Iraq forever then. Make it our colony.

sithsaber408
I hope not. sad

My cousin's over there fighting now.

Alliance
So are people I know.

Iraq has not ever been, nor ever will be, part of the war on Terror. However, it will be the cause of future attacks against the US.

Strangelove
Likely so. American involvement in the Iraqi Civil War that we helped start is causing a significant anti-American sentiment throughout the Middle East.

Darth Macabre
To me? GTFO of Iraq, and then the economy. Something's got to be done about this raging debt that the country's in.

Darth_Erebus2
My concerns in order
1)The environment/global warming
2)Globalization/free trade
3)Health care reform
4)Iraq
5)Budget and trade imbalances

Most other issues are far in the background

vader11
International Relations.

Alliance
Likely so. American involvement in the Iraqi Civil War that we helped start is causing a significant anti-American sentiment throughout the Middle East.

I'm actually shocked it can go higher?

Is there a color for terror alert level "apocolyptic"?

Darth Macabre
Is there a color for terror alert level "apocolyptic"? Yeah, it's when the sky burns red, and hails fire and brimstone.

Alliance
Ok...we are safe for now.

Strangelove
I'm actually shocked it can go higher?

Is there a color for terror alert level "apocolyptic"? I would imagine that the sentiment would reach a breaking point if the militant Muslim groups overran Israel.

lil bitchiness
I don't understand the ''war on terror''. Terrorism has been around for an extreamly long time. It was not invented by Al-Qaida on sept 11th 2001.
In view of such, and understanding the concept of terrorims, it seems kind of strange to have ''war on it''

Anyway, I think helthcare and education should be priority. But its not my country, so...

ADarksideJedi
I feel strong about all listed on the poll.and yes I am voting as an American I feel we have the Responable to vote!jm

Starhawk

Alliance
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I don't understand the ''war on terror''. Terrorism has been around for an extreamly long time. It was not invented by Al-Qaida on sept 11th 2001.
In view of such, and understanding the concept of terrorims, it seems kind of strange to have ''war on it''

well, with the Soviets gone for a decade at that point, we needed a new war. erm

siriuswriter
Social/Cultural Issues.
Education
Health Care.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.