The Book of Adam and Eve and the Messiah Prophecy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Thundar
As taken from translated Dead Sea Scrolls which date back to roughly 200 BC.

Chapter XIV

The earliest prophesy of the coming of Christ.

1 Then Adam said to God: "O Lord, take You my soul, and let me not see this gloom any more; or remove me to some place where there is no darkness."

2 But God the Lord said to Adam, "Indeed I say to you, this darkness will pass from you, every day I have determined for you, until the fulfillment of My covenant; when I will save you and bring you back again into the garden, into the house of light you long for, in which there is no darkness*. I will bring you to it -- in the kingdom of heaven."

3 Again said God to Adam, "All this misery that you have been made to take on yourself because of your transgression, will not free you from the hand of Satan, and will not save you.

4 But I will. When I shall come down from heaven, and shall become flesh of your descendants, and take on Myself the infirmity from which you suffer, then the darkness that covered you in this cave shall cover Me in the grave, when I am in the flesh of your descendants.

5 And I, who am without years, shall be subject to the reckoning of years, of times, of months, and of days, and I shall be reckoned as one of the sons of men, in order to save you."

6 And God ceased to commune with Adam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter XXIV
A vivid prophecy of the life and death of Christ.

1 Then the merciful God, good and lover of men, looked at Adam and Eve, and at their blood, which they had held up as an offering to Him; without an order from Him for so doing. But He wondered at them; and accepted their offerings.

2 And God sent from His presence a bright fire, that consumed their offering.

3 He smelled the sweet savor of their offering, and showed them mercy.

4 Then came the Word of God to Adam, and said to him, "O Adam, as you have shed your blood, so will I shed My own blood when I become flesh of your descendants; and as you died, O Adam, so also will I die. And as you built an altar, so also will I make for you an altar of the earth; and as you offered your blood on it, so also will I offer My blood on an altar on the earth.

5 And as you sued for forgiveness through that blood, so also will I make My blood forgiveness of sins, and erase transgressions in it.

6 And now, behold, I have accepted your offering, O Adam, but the days of the covenant in which I have bound you are not fulfilled. When they are fulfilled, then will I bring you back into the garden.

7 Now, therefore, strengthen your heart; and when sorrow comes over you, make Me an offering, and I will be favorable to you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter XXV
God represented as merciful and loving. The establishing of worship.

1 But God knew that Adam believed he should frequently kill himself and make an offering to Him of his blood.

2 Therefore He said to him, "O Adam, don't ever kill yourself like this again, by throwing yourself down from that mountain."

3 But Adam said to God, "I was thinking to put an end to myself at once, for having transgressed Your commandments, and for my having come out of the beautiful garden; and for the bright light of which You have deprived me; and for the praises which poured forth from my mouth without ceasing, and for the light that covered me.

4 Yet of Your goodness, O God, do not get rid of me altogether; but be favorable to me every time I die, and bring me to life.

5 And thereby it will be made known that You are a merciful God, who does not want anyone to perish; who loves not that one should fall; and who does not condemn any one cruelly, badly, and by whole destruction."

6 Then Adam remained silent.

7 And the Word of God came to him, and blessed him, and comforted him, and covenanted with him, that He would save him at the end of the days determined for him.

8 This, then, was the first offering Adam made to God; and so it became his custom to do.

Thundar
A link to the remaining chapters --

http://www.hiddenmysteries.com/freebook/adameve/adamevetoc.html

Shakyamunison
There is no such thing as a true prophesy. Anything that a person would consider to be a prophesy is really post-diction. No one can see into the future.

inimalist
Not being a Christian scholar, some sort of abstract or conclusion to the point of this would be nice...

It just looks like bible passages... only from some other text

Nellinator
Yah, it's an old text, I'm not really sure about its background...Originally posted by Shakyamunison
There is no such thing as a true prophesy. Anything that a person would consider to be a prophesy is really post-diction. No one can see into the future. People cannot, God can, which is what prophecy is.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Nellinator
Yah, it's an old text, I'm not really sure about its background... People cannot, God can, which is what prophecy is.

The god of the bible is people. wink

Nellinator
Okay then.

Thundar
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
There is no such thing as a true prophesy. Anything that a person would consider to be a prophesy is really post-diction. No one can see into the future.

My major point in posting this was really not to prove the existence of prophecy, but to demonstrate that the Hebrew messiah story predates many of those found in other religions.

For those who study and/or believe in Christian theology, this story can also serve as a means of explaining why messiah stories are very prevelant throughout various other cultures, seeing as how they were already instilled in mankind from the onset of creation.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Thundar
My major point in posting this was really not to prove the existence of prophecy, but to demonstrate that the Hebrew messiah story predates many of those found in other religions.

For those who study and/or believe in Christian theology, this story can also serve as a means of explaining why messiah stories are very prevelant throughout various other cultures, seeing as how they were already instilled in mankind from the onset of creation.

Yes, all mythologies are built upon older mythologies.

debbiejo
They are?? confused

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by debbiejo
They are?? confused

Most extremely ancient mythologies are based on trying to explain the natural world. After that the mythologies were built on top of one another. Sometimes through absorbing others and sometimes through expanding their own mythos.

A good example (although not in religion) is much fantasy style stuff after Tolkien.

debbiejo
Really? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by debbiejo
Really? roll eyes (sarcastic)

shifty

debbiejo
^^ laughing out loud

Thundar
Originally posted by inimalist
Not being a Christian scholar, some sort of abstract or conclusion to the point of this would be nice...

It just looks like bible passages... only from some other text

That's why I provided a link to the entire book. Basically the passages that I've posted are just earlier accounts of the messianic prophecy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.